This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

My 765t died tonight...anyone else?

Comments

• daorlando 0 Points
    The Garmin 800 and 700 series have :evil: :evil: are a research project gone bad. The processors are underpowered, the software gltches and the units run hot.

Last Christmas I bought Garmins for the entire family. I bought my wife and three of my children the 660 model. I bought my other daughter who lives in Germany a 370 for the Eroupe maps. I bought myself an 880 model. Everyone is doing well EXCEPT for me. The 880 worked 1 week before freezing. 2 weeks later I received another 880 Dead out of the box. Garmin could not replace this 880 as the 880 model was discontinued so 8 weeks later I was ugraded to an 885. That worked for 5 days with the display putting inteesting characters on the screen. (I sent tech support the pictures and they said the unit needed to be replaced again). I suggested that the 800 series has problems and told them to down grade me to ANYTHING that works. I received the 785 that was thourghly tested before shipment. Now this! By my calculations, Garmin has had the units more then I have! The customer service has been friendly, but enough is enough. This unit needs to be recalled and an action filed!
  • aalupatti 0 Points
    Garmin offered to repair my unit free of charge , even though the warranty was out. ( but i fixed it with the trick mentioned here)
  • drew.c 0 Points
    The worst part about all this is if you update the infected unit to version 3.60, it may fix the GPS acquisition issue but it causes the unit to keep telling you the battery level is low and the image of the battery shows zero when it is fully charged. I think the newly released version 3.60 firmware is only a patch and not a complete fix.
    I think Garmin need to look at the possibility of someone had planted a bomb / virus in their software. Could be competition and or disgruntle employee. If it is a hardware issue, I wonder why TomTom, Magellan or any other GPS manufactures are not experiencing the same problems.
    If it is a hardware issue, why is it TomTom, Magellan or any other GPS manufacturers having the same issue.
    TomTom had some issues with virus being planted in their software in the past also.
    It's to bad this is happening to Garmin, they make a solid product and they have a bunch of great people working for them.
    It's not their fault and they are doing their best to fix these problems at a huge expense to Garmin.
    Good Luck Garmin
    I'm not having the battery problem you describe. Is it still happening? Maybe try unpluging the battery again.
  • drew.c 0 Points
    I just opened my 765T, which was dead after the 'fameous main event' and disconnected the battery for 5 seconds. After reconnecting it works fine again. He found the sat's, could be switched On and Off repeatedly and was able to navigate. Own battery and USB power at the moment. I wait for the update/fix now... :lol:
    Joost, I wanted to thank you as your post was the first I found about taking apart the 765t and correcting the no-boot issue. I have a July 4th trip coming up and was hoping there was a quicker fix. No problems after updating to 3.60. Thanks again!

Drew
  • stepheva 0 Points
    Like everyone else, mine bricked on the 22nd. Funnily enough, I cracked the case way before stumbling on this forum and got it running, but it would brick out again. That was before I knew about the update. I do have the M chipset, and believe its a V7. I updated the software, but not the chipset. My nuvi wouldn't acquire sat signal. So, I'm downloading all the updates for it in hopes it works. The rep I bought mine from just came from Garmin, and the tech there stated that it had something to do with the traffic subscription that messed everything up...I dunno. I just hope to get this thing working again. Garmin made a mess of this one, and I hope they are up to the task of fixing it. BTW, someone earlier asked about crystals around the battery. I believe that to be fluid from the Li-Ion battery. Possible leak. Might want to send that in and have garmin check it out.
  • stepheva 0 Points
    Well, seems to work now, but I do notice that it doesn't pick up satellites from the house like it used too. When outside, it takes a bit longer as well . Anyone else notice this?
  • ifse 0 Points
    That could be just the first time after you reconnect the battery. After that, it should be quicker with HotFix.
  • dhn 336 Points
    A moderator of a British forum has posted a 'how to' guide to do the battery removal trick ...with great pictures!

If interested, go here:
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=77606
  • stepheva 0 Points
    That could be just the first time after you reconnect the battery. After that, it should be quicker with HotFix.

What is Hotfix?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    GPS works by listening to satellites. In order to know "where" to listen, the GPS needs to know where you are, otherwise it starts guessing.. So you can see the catch-22 or sorts. Hotfix predicts where the satellites will be for a few days so that it can find the signal faster.
  • wow guys I haven't been on this site in a while. Just had this problem last night. I am FURIOUS. I need to vent my rage.
  • crispynz1 0 Points
    wow guys I haven't been on this site in a while. Just had this problem last night. I am FURIOUS. I need to vent my rage.
    No point getting pissed off. It's easy enough to fix.
  • wow guys I haven't been on this site in a while. Just had this problem last night. I am FURIOUS. I need to vent my rage.

True , Im heading to buy a screw set now. Yet still, Ive never experienced something so unprofessional from a company before
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    wow guys I haven't been on this site in a while. Just had this problem last night. I am FURIOUS. I need to vent my rage.

True , Im heading to buy a screw set now. Yet still, Ive never experienced something so unprofessional from a company before
    Garmin is an excellent company and offer the best customer service. We all step in S@#T sometimes, but it does not mean that it makes the company any less customer friendly. Allow Garmin to find a fix.
  • daorlando 0 Points
    Are you kidding me? I have gone through 4 units that have failed since November and granted the customer service people have been nice.

I work for a manufacture of a very specialized and high end electronic product. We pride ourselves on our quality, testing and customer service. This simply would not happen in our world or we would be out of business no matter how NICE we were. Garmin makes some fine products, I have a house full of them, but the 800 and 700 series are a complete failure - even though the customer service is NICE!
  • alanb 539 Points
    This fiasco has frustrated everyone who was affected and I hope Garmin learns something from it. But now that my nuvi 755t is working again and I am cooled down, I am in no mood to switch to anything else. First, Garmin has responded fairly quickly and I haven't heard of any instances where they have refused to honor thier obligation to replace or repair a unit that was damaged. Second, I ask myself what I would rather have other than my Garmin? When I do comparisons and read the forums on other brands I can't find anything I would trade my Garmin for. And finally, give this a month or two to play out and I am guessing there will be some REALLY GOOD prices on 7X5 refurbs, so I will probably buy another one if the deals are good enough. I am not excusing Garmin ... this situation is a disaster for their product reputation, but I still love my Garmin, I depend on it and I am thankful that it is working correctly again.

I love my garmin 765t when it works, so much better than any other make I've seen. Having said that, their updates and testing do leave a lot to be desired. Every update they release seems to break/severely cripple something else for me, whether its the voice or traffic - and a lot of these problems could have easily been isolated well before release simply by road testing the damn update. 3.40 was the first version (apart from the one out the box) that everything appeared to actually work on.

On that note though, its totally impossible to 100% test everything when it comes to software, and I could stand here all day citing events from Microsoft, IBM and Apple where things like this have happened. For anyone working in this kind of industry to say "this would simply never happen" is ridiculous. In the world of software, things like this will ALWAYS happen and this may be more of an unfortunate event that perhaps couldn't have been easily predicted. So kudos to Garmin where its due, their response has been excellent - replacing units, and quickly identifying a way to patch the apparent bug. Lets just hope it doesn't happen again!!

On the plus side, I went and fixed my 765t using the mentioned method and now own a really neat (and quality) 72 piece screwdriver set for just £10!!! :D
  • stepheva 0 Points
    Mine is working 100% again. Nothing wrong with Garmin, it just happens sometimes. They should offer 1 extra free map update or additional download to all of those affected. That would be good customer service.
  • Hi guys. Battery solution worked!! I found 3.70 version at Garmin's web site. Where can I find 3.60? Thanks
  • malatekid 82 Points
    Here is the link for version 3.60

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4357

Can you please post the website link for version 3.70. I am not able to locate it.
    Hi guys. Battery solution worked!! I found 3.70 version at Garmin's web site. Where can I find 3.60? Thanks
  • Thanks! Here is ver 3.70
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?product=010-00190-00
    I'm quite afraid to test 3.70 and brake something else because I'm in the middle of a trip. If a volunteer appears, please feel free to add comments of this update. I'll do when I get home.
  • ifse 0 Points
    I followed the above link and found that it is for the eTrex, and the date is Oct 2007 :?:
  • I followed the above link and found that it is for the eTrex, and the date is Oct 2007 :?:
    Correct, sorry for that.I read this problem at 2:00AM and was tired.
  • RambusFan 0 Points
    Ok - so my 765t has the acquiring satellites issue where I can turn it on but it won't pick up a signal. I hooked it up to my PC to do the firmware update but the WebUpdater keeps telling me:

"Some devices were found; however, none have the necessary capabilities. Please make sure your device is connected to the computer and turned on, then try again. You may also need to set the interface option on your GPS to 'Garmin' or 'Host'."

When I power the unit up it has a good satellite signal for 15 seconds or so then it drops out. I can see the unit as a mounted drive but for some reason I can't get WebUpdater to see it. How do I fix this?

GPS: 0.00
    DSP: 2.30
    Text: 3.00
    Voice: 1.90
    Software Version 3.00

Thanks-
  • malatekid 82 Points
    You are 4 versions behind. The current version is 3.60.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4357

1) When was the last time you updated the device through Webupdater? Maybe redownload the latest version of Webupdater and see if that works.
    2) Try another USB port on your PC

Do come back and let us know the result.
  • RambusFan 0 Points
    So after trying to get the web updater to work and installing the usb driver 7 or 8 times it finally took. The web updater eventually recognized that the device was present and it updated it to 3.60. Oddly enough my 765t would lose satellite signall occasionally over the past few months. Then last week it stopped altogether. I did the update and even selected the firmware update for the chip. After all was said and done all of my favorites and settings remained. I'll have to wait and see if my traffic still works.
  • Hawk 81 Points
    when I got a message pop-up and say updating GPS firmware..then update completed. It did this 5 or so times, then shutoff. I cannot power it on
    A few minutes ago, my new 755T's now a paper weight. :evil:
  • malatekid 82 Points
    Try the battery fix described below.
    What size Torx bit is it?

Torx T-5

My nuvi 765t died this am. Yesterday and this morning it kept getting GPS update complete, lose the satellite, I would power cycle it, and finally this am it would not turn back on. I went to Lowe's and bought a Kobalt Item # 239384 8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver Set (T4-T10, and T15) for $5.98. I unscrewed the 2 torx screws on the back of the unit with the T5 and gently pryed apart the bottom with my finger nails, working my way around the right side (looking at the front view) and some of the top. The left side seemed harder to separate so I left it attached. This gives you enough room to open the case on the right side. The male tabs are on the front side, female receiving indentation is on back of the unit. The battery is on the bottom side on the right. It's a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery 3.7V 1.25Ah Garmin # 361-00019-11. It has a 3 wire Red Green Black removable white plug that plugs into a circuit board attached to the front side of unit. I unplugged the white plug for a few seconds and plugged it back in. Before powering on your nuvi and snaping the case back together, connect the unit with a USB cable to your PC and run the WebUpdater. It should upgrade to 3.6. Mine is now SW 3.60 nuvi 765 V6 4 GB P1 S2 330MHz. Thanks for the torx size T5. I am going on 2 trips in July and did not want to send it away for a refurb. unit. For those of you returning your newer units to the store and getting a new unit, make sure you did not purchase the lifetime maps and apply them as they are only good for that serial #.

Drew
  • Hawk 81 Points
    Thanks Malatekid. Garmin better be working on a customer relations plan to go along with their customer service plan.

If you're listening Garmin, this is totally unsat........... :x
  • Hexagonal 0 Points

Exactly. I got the error message RambusFan got when I used the USB 1.1 port on the front of my creaky Dell laptop. When I used the USB 2.0 ports in the back that I'd added for other reasons, it worked fine. Acutually the error message made it HARDER for me to figure out the prob -- if it hadn't worked at all, I might have tried the 2.0's sooner.

If you don't have current USB's, it's ~$20 to buy a desktop expansion card and slot it in. Assuming you have the room :wink:
  • malatekid 82 Points
    Good to hear your issue was resolved.

Exactly. I got the error message RambusFan got when I used the USB 1.1 port on the front of my creaky Dell laptop. When I used the USB 2.0 ports in the back that I'd added for other reasons, it worked fine. Acutually the error message made it HARDER for me to figure out the prob -- if it hadn't worked at all, I might have tried the 2.0's sooner.

If you don't have current USB's, it's ~$20 to buy a desktop expansion card and slot it in. Assuming you have the room :wink:
  • SergZak 340 Points
    To those with the following error message when running Webpdater: "Some devices were found; however, none have the necessary capabilities. Please make sure your device is connected to the computer and turned on, then try again. You may also need to set the interface option on your GPS to 'Garmin' or 'Host'."

This is caused by a truncated (with errors) GarminDevice.xml file on the nuvi. This is a nuvi auto-generated file that lists which parameters are currently stored and flashed on the nuvi (firmware version, voice versions, text versions, vehicles, etc). If the file is incomplete or contains errors, WebUpdater will report the above error and will not proceed.

You can check to see if your GarminDevice.xml file contains errors by the following:

Browse the nuvi drive to x:/Garmin and find the file GarminDevice.xml. Double-click on it and open it with a web browser such as IE or Firefox. The file should open and display xml code within the browser. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and look for errors/error messages which will be obvious. If the file contains errors, this is why WebUpdater is displaying the initial error message. Note that some units contain a bug that prevents the proper, error-free generation of GarminDevice.xml under the following instances:

1. You power on the unit to connect to WebUpdater by plugging it directly into the USB port with the unit off.

2. You power on the unit to connect to WebUpdater by plugging it directly into the USB port with the unit off with an SD card in the unit.

3. A combination of the above mentioned scenarios (which have never actually been traced to verify either one, one way or the other)

4. Another unknown (to me) bug

To correct the file, the file needs to be regenerated by the nuvi with no errors. Here's now:

1. Remove the SD Card from the nuvi. Connect the nuvi to the PC & DELETE GarminDevice.xml from the unit which is in the x:/Garmin folder.

2. Power the unit on using the power switch under battery power with no SD card in the unit and let it boot fully to the main "Where To?" screen. This allows GarminDevice.xml to be regenerated from scratch and fully populated and created with the correct info obtained by polling the nuvi's low-level OS parameters.

3. With the unit still on and at the "Where To? screen, connect the unit to the USB port and run WebUpdater which *should* now run normally and prompt you with the currently available updates. If WebUpdater doe NOT proceed nomally with the same error message, open and verify GarminDevice.xml again using the web browser.

If you cannot regenerate an error-free GarminDevice.xml file, you can force the firmware update by finding the version you wish to update to at the following post I made under this topic:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/12337/x/p1/

Find your unit series/model in the list and copy/paste the link into your web browser which will take you to the latest changelog page for your selected unit. From the newly opened page, view the web page source using the browser:

1. Internet Explorer: View/Source
    2. Firefox: View/Page Source

Read the text at the top of the page source for instructions to a link to the current firmware version download. Download the file to your PC. To apply the firmware update, drag the file you downloaded directly onto the WebUpdater icon on your desktop. WebUpdater will proceed to transfer the file to your nuvi. After the transfer is done, safely disconnect your using the taskbar eject or "safely remove" option but *keep to unit plugged into the PC* to perform the update using USB power rather than battery power which could be marginal in your particular situation (perhaps you have a very low battery charge level on your unit).

The unit should reboot under USB power and the firmware update will be performed by the nuvi itself. Note that the PC is in no way used to update the nuvi's firmware other than to transfer the update file to the nuvi. The nuvi itself performs the firmware updates.

If all works, you can prevent or bypass this scenario again by simply powering then unit on under battery power to the "Where To?", then connecting to the PC and running WebUpdater.
  • Hawk 81 Points
    I unscrewed the 2 torx screws on the back of the unit with the T5
    I went to Lowe's and obtained the tool kit BUT....... I have a 755T and the screws are T-6's not T-5's. Using the T-5 almost got me into trouble stripping out the screw heads. Be forewarned......
  • pwaggs 0 Points
    Used the battery disconnect technique with a #5 Torx purchased from Home Depot. It cost me $10.00 for the kit, but I avoided mailing it in and being without it for a couple of weeks. I'll just discard my RMA now. Thanks all!
  • drew.c 0 Points
    I have since read that Garmin has used different size screw heads in the same models. I have seen posts of people having T4, T5, and T6. It appears most have T5 but not all as in your case. Luckily the Lowes kit has all of these and more.

Drew
  • pwaggs 0 Points
    Used the battery disconnect technique with a #5 Torx purchased from Home Depot. It cost me $10.00 for the kit, but I avoided mailing it in and being without it for a couple of weeks. I'll just discard my RMA now. Thanks all!
    I should probably mention as well that I did not remove the entire back of the case. I slightly lifted battery side and slid my flathead screwdriver in there and popped the battery connect off. I left it for a minute and then maneuvered it back in. Total operation took 5 minutes. About the same to aquire satellites the first time after that, but I had moved my unit from Miami where it had died, back to Chicago.

Bottom line. The fix is easy. It is ABSOLUTELY not worth sending your unit back if you will need it in the interim. The ONLY bad part I see in Garmin not realizing the scope of this FUBAR and not having to pay my shipping. That being said, I am not into doing damage to a company, I can see how this might have happened, I just expect an above board and transparent resolution.

Is my warranty voided now? Prpbably. My particular unit was purchased last November, but I would hope that should I need warranty work now, Garmin would honor that. But we know how much good hope will do us.

Thanks for the fix.

• Is my warranty voided now? Prpbably. My particular unit was purchased last November, but I would hope that should I need warranty work now, Garmin would honor that. But we know how much good hope will do us.

Thanks for the fix.

How would they know if you fixed it yourself? There were no security stickers over the screws, and I can't imagine disconnecting and reconnecting the battery would be detectable... it would be the same as the device having a totally flat battery...

EDIT: My device needed a T6, luckily i bought a multikit :)
  • malatekid 82 Points
    Just to let you know:

Yesterday I completed the Garmin online RMA request due to the non-powering of the device. I just wanted to check how Garmin handles the recent issue (of course I already fixed the GPS using the suggested battery unplugging suggested in this forum). After doing that, I immediately received an email confirmation and instruction on how to ship the device.

Today, to my surprise, I received an email from Garmin to retrieve a UPS Elctronic Return Label online. Looks like Garmin is shouldering the cost of sending the device to them. I don't know whether it will do the same thing (free shipping) to ship back the device to me.
  • CaptMrgnX 0 Points
    For all those interested, popping the back off the 785T and unplugging the battery is the only way to hard reset the unit. It unbricked my unit. I was then able to update to the latest firmware and now it's working perfectly.

You need a Torx T5 (some units might require a T4 or T6) wrench to remove the 2 screws on the lower back. After that, GENTLY pry the back off all the way around with a small flat-head screwdriver.

After the back is completely dislodged, pull it away slowly (it's connected by 2 wires). You'll see the battery wire and where it's connected to the motherboard. Use the same small flat-head screwdriver to slide the connector out.

Wait about a minute and slide the battery connector back in place - BE EXTRA CAREFUL HERE!!! I sliced my finger open rather badly on the thin metal cover (CPU Cover?) that is right next to the battery connector. It was worth it though not having to send the unit in for repair.

Finally, carefully snap the cover back into place. Press firmly but don't force any part of it. I had a little trouble with the bottom part, and had to press both in first, then down to snap it properly in place. Screw in the 2 screws and you're done. It should power on at this point, provided the battery has juice. Update immediately to the latest firmware with the Garmin Web Updater.

-CaptMrgnX
  • lysness 0 Points
    I had the same problem with my 765T going down at the same time as everyone else. I had just packed up the unit with their free UPS shipping tag and was ready to ship it off to Garmin and wait 3 weeks when I found this forum. Thanks to the info on this site I did the battery disconnect fix and it seems to be fine. It sounds like Garmin could have saved allot of frustration and money if they would have designed a pin reset hole to interrupt the battery and reset but easy to look back I guess. Interestingly, I had some unusual things happening about 3 weeks before the actual fatal shutdown date and after I had updated the earlier firmware. My unit was shutting down consistently for a different reason. I would have to reboot and the same thing would happen again I finally tried everything I could think of and just guessing changed the voice from American Jill to the Australian Karen voice and it stopped shutting down. Changed it back to Karen to test and it shut down again. I have been living with the Aussie voice for awhile which is no problem but it will be intriguing to see if this download fixed that. The unit must have hated Karen as when she spoke it went down! This is my third Garmin and the first two being the large Street Pilot lunch box sized units. I was very happy with them and chose Garmin again because of that. I do like the size and convenience with the Nuvi but not if we have to go through this anymore. Thanks again for the fix info.
  • CaptMrgnX 0 Points
    Or maybe Garmin could just adopt removable batteries on all their units. They're moving towards that on some of the 800 series I think.

Check the Web Updater. I thought there was an update for english Jill available that I applied along with the firmware update that bricked the unit.
  • lysness 0 Points
    I agree with you on the removable battery. If cell phones and blackberry's do it they should too. I did download the update for Jill so we will see if it mellowed her down! thx
  • First off, glad I found the forum! Google is a wonderful thing.

My experience is similar to almost everyone else's reply here.

Having been on a motorcycle vacation for the past two weeks, I didn't have an opportunity to turn on the unit until 7/1. It worked fine for the first 2 hours. Since I wanted to grab a quick bite to eat, I powered the unit down. When I came back, "nada".

I tried to phone Garmin customer service this morning (surprise - holiday!), and then started searching Google.

I did finally run across Garmin's e-mail blast sent out while I was away - - - after the unit bricked. (So much for getting caught up on e-mails..)

I submitted the on-line return form, but may try the "pry off the back of the unit and pray we don't void the warranty" route.

Originally I thought I was an isolated case; perhaps misery really does love company.

Happy 4th, all!

--Pete
  • CaptMrgnX 0 Points
    Hey Pete,

So long as you're careful and don't break anything on the unit, there's no way they'd ever know that you had taken the back off. It really is easy, just don't force anything. The back "pops" off all the way around which might seem a little scary, but just pry it gently with a flat head screwdriver and you'll be fine. Remember, there are 2 wires connected to the motherboard so do not pull the back away from the unit - just gently lift it away to about a 90 degree angle.

-Capt.
  • Capt:

Success!

Having an ACE Hardware 2 blocks away definitely helps. The best $4.49 (Torx T5) investment I've made.

Thanks very much for the help; greatly appreciated!

--Pete
  • Suggestion from CaptMrgnX work for me...

Thanks CaptMrgnX

FYI - For those whose units were bricked by the firmware update, resetting the unit by disconnecting the internal battery fixed the problem for me. It's relatively easy to fix, but follow the instructions below carefully -- and of course, at your own risk!

You need a Torx T5 wrench to remove the 2 screws on the lower back. After that, GENTLY pry the back off all the way around with a small flat-head screwdriver.

After the back is completely dislodged, pull it away slowly (it's connected by 2 wires). You'll see the battery wire and where it's connected to the motherboard. Use the same small flat-head screwdriver to slide the connector out.

Wait about a minute and slide the battery connector back in place - BE EXTRA CAREFUL HERE!!! I sliced my finger open rather badly on the thin metal cover (CPU Cover?) that is right next to the battery connector. It was worth it though not having to send the unit in for repair.

Finally, carefully snap the cover back into place. Press firmly but don't force any part of it. I had a little trouble with the bottom part, and had to press both in first, then down to snap it properly in place. Screw in the 2 screws and you're done.

It should power on at this point, provided the battery has juice. Update immediately to the latest firmware with the Garmin Web Updater.

-CaptMrgnX
  • GTGuy74 0 Points
    Hey guys - I found this forum after the issues started with my 765t last week. I shipped my Garmin off Saturday afternoon (June 27) via priority mail. I just received it back today. Turn around was pretty fast! I did not expect to see it this week at all.
  • hello guys im about to buy garmin 765 online thru pixmania, its on sale most probably because of the issues, i would like to know what steps should i take before using it for the first time., do i need first to connect it to the computer and have it updated or just use it as soon as possible and let the gps update itself?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Connect and update before using it. Don't bother trying to register it until you've used it for a day. I think Garmin now needs at least a sat fix if not a little bit of drive time to establish your "first use" date.
  • We used the 765T extensively today without a hitch.

The update Garmin pushed seems to be working; pretty bad we all had to go through this.

Happy 4th!

--Pete