This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

My 765t died tonight...anyone else?

It seems others have experienced the same issue this evening, I have found, after frantically searching for a fix for mine on this and the gpspassion forum. My 765t is toast (Second in five months)!!! I used it earlier today, and worked fine. This evening I have it inside...just running off battery (which had plenty of juice)... was entering in addresses to save as favorites for an upcoming trip on Wed., when I got a message pop-up and say updating GPS firmware..then update completed. It did this 5 or so times, then shutoff. I cannot power it on..I cannot hard-reset it...I plugged it into my beanbag mount in the truck, and normally it turns on automatically, but nothing!! FYI..I use the MSN receiver power adapter. I have had the latest firmware and the latest maps since they were released. I did not update the recent voice updates yet. This is a referb unit, because my first one died also. I am getting very frustrated and worried, because the referbs are only covered under warranty until the original 1 year warranty expires. This means another referb, and only 7 month warranty!! Calling Garmin in the morning.

Comments

• SergZak 240 Points
    edited June 2009
    I don't like linking to other forums but this is important. Please see:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=127184

If your unit still powers on and connects to the PC, I'd highly recommend doing the following until some answer or solution is provided by Garmin or otherwise.

Rename the GPS chipset update file on the nuvi temporarily to something else. If the update file is not seen by the nuvi, perhaps no update will try to take place. The files are:

x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.GCD
    x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.bin

Rename the two to something the nuvi won't be looking for such as:

006B073300.GCD.disabled
    006B073300.bin.disabled

After doing so & when you run WebUpdater, it will state that a "GPS Chipset Type M" update is available...just ignore it. Maybe this will prevent the problem from bricking more 7x5 series units.

When the issue has cleared and it seems safe to do so, just rename them back to their original filenames.
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    edited June 2009
    Mine died this afternoon. On my way home, I saw a little updating box pop up then disappear. After it disappeared, my 765t powered off (or died). I haven't been able to get it to power on since. I've tried resetting it, but nothing happens. I've plugged it into a USB port on my PC and I've plugged it into its cradle which was plugged into a 12V to AC adapter.

I did have all the latest updates for the unit AND do use the GDB50 / MSN Direct.
  • wstevens 81 Points
    A little before 8 pm ET on Monday, June 22, 2009 while driving in my car a message appeared on my 765T stating: "Updating GPS software". I waited until it was done and then pressed OK. The 765T then began "Searching for Satellites". I arrived at my destination with the 765T still "Searching for Satellites". I parked my car, turned off the 765T and went to my meeting.

About an hour later I got back into my car and the 765T would not power up. I have spent most of the evening trying to get the 765T to power up. I have plugged it into my computer via the USB cable. I have plugged it into the AC charger. I have held the on switch in the on position numerous times for 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 60 seconds. I've tried turning it on while pressing on the lower right corner of the screen. Nothing has worked.

The 765T will not power on.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

P.S. I do not have MSN.
  • crispynz1 0 Points
    Damn, the same happened to me this afternoon. The unit said it was updating GPS firmware and it got locked in this cycle of updating, so I switched it off and haven't been able to turn it on since. It won't connect to webupdater or anything. :shock:
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    I just submitted an email to Garmin support describing what happened to me. I also included links to this thread and the thread over at GPSPassion.

I'd advise all those affected to do the same.
  • crispynz1 0 Points
    I emailed them earlier this evening, but that was before I saw this & the other thread.
  • wstevens 81 Points
    My guess is, and it is just speculation, is someone screwed up when writing the code for the firmware update, or someone inserted malicious code into the firmware update. Think Y2K bug or time bomb.

The question is, is the trigger the date, e.g. June 22, 2009? Or is the trigger the number of days since the firmware update was installed? Or something else? What is the common denominator?

I think Garmin has got to take a look at the origin of the problem and fix it, and not just replace units.

In any case, I think Garmin has a big problem on their hands, and replacing the 765T may not solve the problem for long. Update the firmware of your new replacement 765T and it dies again? Let's hope not.

I hope I'm wrong about all of this.

I don't think so many 765Ts failing in the same way at about the same time is just a random event. Too much coincidence.

Let's hope Garmin steps up and tells us what's going on!

I can only imagine how many other 765T owners had their units fail in the same way and we're not hearing about it because they don't know about this forum.

I'm waiting to hear back from Garmin.
  • SergZak 240 Points
    Here's a bit of info. My unit is still operational after this stink-bomb hit. After the initial problem with the "Updating GPS firmware" yesterday at about 5pm, I had the unit operating in my house hooked up to an extra cradle/GTM 20 being powered from a 12v DC 1A regulated power supply. I backdated to v2.50, then reflashed the v3.40 update again. I had it on for at least 3-4 hours after I did my procedure above. I was locked on with good satellite reception with NO issues.

When I left to work this morning @ 1am, all was fine. On the way to work (8 minute drive), satellite reception took a dump after about 4 minutes and my position froze. Satellite reception was zippo. I unplugged the GTM (did not power down the unit) and let the unit shut down due to loss of external power. I plugged the GTM back in and all was well the rest of the way in to work.

This *seems* to indicate that movement is required for this bomb to hit. Remember, I have renamed the GPS update files as above and did NOT receive the "Updating GPS firmware" message. I will see what happens on the way home. If it happens again, my next course of action will be to backdate the firmware to v2.50 & see it it resolves the issue.

Garmin has a BIG problem on their hands with this stinky time-bomb...
  • wstevens 81 Points
    Here's a bit of info. My unit is still operational after this stink-bomb hit. After the initial problem with the "Updating GPS firmware" yesterday at about 5pm, I had the unit operating in my house hooked up to an extra cradle/GTM 20 being powered from a 12v DC 1A regulated power supply. I backdated to v2.50, then reflashed the v3.40 update again. I had it on for at least 3-4 hours after I did my procedure above. I was locked on with good satellite reception with NO issues.

When I left to work this morning @ 1am, all was fine. On the way to work (8 minute drive), satellite reception took a dump after about 4 minutes and my position froze. Satellite reception was zippo. I unplugged the GTM (did not power down the unit) and let the unit shut down due to loss of external power. I plugged the GTM back in and all was well the rest of the way in to work.

This *seems* to indicate that movement is required for this bomb to hit. Remember, I have renamed the GPS update files as above and did NOT receive the "Updating GPS firmware" message. I will see what happens on the way home. If it happens again, my next course of action will be to backdate the firmware to v2.50 & see it it resolves the issue.

Garmin has a BIG problem on their hands with this stinky time-bomb...
    If you take a look at Jaker00's original post you'll see that he was at home entering addresses to save as favorites. So motion doesn't seem to be a variable in his case.

Since you seemed to have dodged the bullet, and can still use your 765T, please let us know what you find out.

Mine is dead!
  • SergZak 240 Points
    If you take a look at Jaker00's original post you'll see that he was at home entering addresses to save as favorites. So motion doesn't seem to be a variable in his case.
    Yes, I missed that...thanks for pointing it out. Regardless, something is definitely screwy in 7x5 Garmin-land.
  • Edsel 0 Points
    Mine died too. Maybe for different reasons, or was it coincidence?

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/13875/x/p1/
  • SergZak 240 Points
    Edsel, all the issues in this topic happened yesterday afternoon, June 22 2009. I believe your issue is unrelated.
  • NC_Bound 0 Points
    My wife used the 765t yesterday afternoon (June 22). She left it on my desk last night. I grabbed it this morning on my way out to work. Mounted as usual in my truck. As it powered up I got the message about updating GPS software and it immediately shut off. Have not been able to get it to turn on since.

Obviously this is a Garmin issue. Very aggravating. Especially if we all have to send our units back in. I've been a loyal Garmin owner for over 10 years and this is my first gripe with them.
  • wstevens 81 Points
    I don't think we all installed the new firmware on the same day. Maybe we did. It's possible.

My guess is this has to do with the date, June 22 and that every 765T that has the latest firmware will experience the problem.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds as the day progresses.

Anyone out there who didn't upgrade to the latest firmware experiencing the problem?

SergZak. Please let us know what happens when you downgrade your firmware to v2.50.

Let's hope Garmin gets a handle on this fast!
  • jordanal 96 Points
    I got a funny message this morning that I think might be related to this horrifying thread. But my 785T powered back up. Was it because it was on vehicle power when the update appeared?

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/13897/x/p1/
  • Used mine late yesterday afternoon and no issues....

Have not powered it on since....

Anything I can do to help debug before I power mine on and try to make mine fail :) :?:

fyi, I hadn't updated the firmware since a while back.....
    but 2 or 3 days ago it did say a flemish voice needed to be updated.... IIRC :?:
  • JohnBoyToo 0 Points
    edited June 2009
    ok - connected to pc, backed up everything in a THIRD garmin folder :) renamed the files Serg suggested and will now try to restart the gps...

fingers crossed

so far, so good.... seemed to plan a route, but have to do some real work, will test more later
  • jordanal 96 Points
    I don't like linking to other forums but this is important. Please see:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=127184

If your unit still powers on and connects to the PC, I'd highly recommend doing the following until some answer or solution is provided by Garmin or otherwise.

Rename the GPS chipset update file on the nuvi temporarily to something else. If the update file is not seen by the nuvi, perhaps no update will try to take place. The files are:

x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.GCD
    x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.bin

Rename the two to something the nuvi won't be looking for such as:

006B073300.GCD.disabled
    006B073300.bin.disabled

After doing so & when you run WebUpdater, it will state that a "GPS Chipset Type M" update is available...just ignore it. Maybe this will prevent the problem from bricking more 7x5 series units.

When the issue has cleared and it seems safe to do so, just rename them back to their original filenames.
    Will this work on my 785T as well? I just got it to turn back on with it connected to my laptop. I see the two files; should I rename these on my 785T? The bin file has no date listed.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Jordanel, if you're not having any problem, I wouldn't do anything quite yet. It's way too unclear about what's causing the issue. If you don't need your nuvi today, just don't use it and ckeck back on this thread a little later today.
  • NC_Bound 0 Points
    I just tried to call customer support. Automated system said "excessive call volume, 45 minute wait." I think its safe to say those customer service people will stay quite busy today.
  • My post get deleted? I wasn't aware it was spam if it was directly related to the issue at hand.

Oh well, I suppose I'll take the story elsewhere. Just thought I might be able to help!

Edit: Links were being added; the story had to be revised and our cache takes a few minutes to refresh thanks to traffic. Anyway, sorry for the trouble. I suppose I'll come back if I hear anything else on the issue you guys might appreciate.

Steve
  • bengele 0 Points
    I had my 765 on yesterday evening (6/22) through this morning. It was powered by USB and was in the cradle hooked up to a MSN receiver. it was not moving and the MSN receiver was not getting a signal. Every thing still seems to be fine. It has the latest firmware (3.40). I just got mine at the end of April and I believe one of the first things I did was to update the firmware.
  • jordanal 96 Points
    Jordanel, if you're not having any problem, I wouldn't do anything quite yet. It's way too unclear about what's causing the issue. If you don't need your nuvi today, just don't use it and ckeck back on this thread a little later today.
    Sorry, I forgot to bring my status over from my other thread.

I went back to the car and although my 785T powered up OK, the GPS signal bars then all disappeard and the GPS software version went to 0.00. Then the touchscreen locked up tight (still getting 'GPS Update Complete' messages) and all I could do was power it off; then nothing, would not power back on using any power source.

I brought into into my lab which happens to also have a GPS repeater and I for whatever reason was able to get it to power back on and connected to my laptop. I now have favorites backed up and renamed the two files above.

I am on hold with Garmin Tech support and was about 30 minutes wait time when I first dialed.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    There is a mention in a related thread on another site that an alert was sent out concerning problems on some aviation GPS systems transitioning from the 20th to the 21st. Probably completely unrelated but a consideration nonetheless.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/05/21/326855/carriers-could-face-gps-software-glitch-next-month.html
  • jordanal 96 Points
    Now have Garmin Tech Support on phone. So far we've tried deleting the ..\Garmin\GUpdate.GCD file and re-running webupdater to no avail. Still getting repeated 'GPS Update Complete' messages. Also, GPS software version still indicates version 0.00.

Waiting for him to check again with software engineer...

Told him about this thread....
  • Tim 1466 Points
    Waiting for him to check again with software engineer...

Told him about this thread....
    I saw some Garmin folks in here reading this thread about an hour or so ago.
  • Edsel 0 Points
    I just finished with Garmin support. A forty-five minute wait to tell me to return my unit for warranty replacement. I called right at 8:00 AM CST. I pay to return it to Garmin, they say it'll take a 1.5 week turn-around.

Support person sounded a little stressed.
  • jordanal 96 Points
    He wants to change out unit... Engineers are trying to figure out what's wrong and calls are starting to come in. They think it's the 3.4 software and are worried about changing units with same software. He thinks the engineers will be able to put out a update to fix the problem but doesn't know when or if the replacement units already have the 3.4 software and will exibit the same problem. He's checking now...

He thinks that those with units that won't power on will need to exchange their units with the fix-software one they figure out what's wrong.
  • jordanal 96 Points
    edited June 2009
    Done with tech support - he said the issue is starting to become evident as people in the call center are starting to talk about it.

Changing the unit won't help right now because he thinks the couple of hundred units ready to ship out as exchanges probably already have the 3.4 software on them and might exhibit the same problem (since 3.4 was released months ago).

Right now all we can do is sit-tight for the engineers to figure out wha't wrong and release an updated software version for those than can still power on their units.

He made a note that I've offered to test any update since I can still connect to the webupdater but have the issue. He has my contact info now as well.

He didn't seem interested in the GPS update files ZargZak mentioned above. I am going to rename those as ZargZak recommends for now and see if the messages goes away and wait for an update.
  • Jaker00 0 Points
    I just got off the phone with Garmin support, got an RMA# and have to pay to send it back to them, then they send me another referb. Support tech seemed to not know about this issue. Very Frustrating!
  • jordanal 96 Points
    Hmmm, I've tried renaming the files ZargZak mentions above, but after a reboot, although I no longer get the 'GPS Update Complete' message, I loose all satalite acquistion in about a minute.

Should keep them renamed for now anyway?
  • bronchial 0 Points
    I'm having the same issue as everyone here is reporting. I'm at work right now so I can't really sit on the phone for 30min+ but I do have a question regarding this situation.

Garmin really expects the customer to foot the shipping bill only to receive a refurbished unit? I for one think this is completely unacceptable as my unit was in pristine condition until last night when it bricked. I believe we should be given new devices or refunded for the purchase price. If I wanted a refurbished unit I would have bought one to begin with...

*angry fist* at Garmin, will be calling their tech support as soon as I get off work.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    It's beginning to appear this may not be a Garmin-created issue and instead may be the chipset manufacturer, MTK, and software supplied by them.
  • Well, this is just wonderful. I bought a 765T about a month ago in anticipation of a long road trip to Canada. Leaving in two weeks. I don't even dare turn it on now, but that's probably just delaying the inevitable. If it is a firmware bug, I sure hope they can find a way to update units that are running version 3.4 but haven't been powered up since the 22nd. If the unit has to be sent back they may as well keep the damn thing since it won't be available for my trip. :x
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    As i mentioned above, this may be completely unrelated to any Garmin application update, and instead have to do with "chipset M" updates or the original gps chip coding, both from MTK. But the end result is the same. It's now Garmin's problem to deal with.
  • Tim 1466 Points
    It's beginning to appear this may not be a Garmin-created issue and instead may be the chipset manufacturer, MTK, and software supplied by them.
    I agree that is one of the more plausible explanations. It is eerily similar to the Omnitech failure last week. In that case the chipset firmware failed to take into account a pre-announced change in time formats from the satellites. (I think which goes back to 1999.) A chipset software issue would also explain why we only see this with devices from North America, which often ship with a different chip than those sold in Europe.
  • So -it seems it is restricted to the 'chipset M' mtk ?

is that on all 765t's ?

how can we chk ?
  • wstevens 81 Points
    At least one poster, Hogster, on the other forum, who is having the problem, is in the UK.
  • Tim 1466 Points
    So -it seems it is restricted to the 'chipset M' mtk ?
    It is just a wild guess at the moment.
  • ok - I will be out of character.. and patient :)

Hold your finger on the battery icon until the diagnostics screen comes up. Go to the screen that Has Version information on the top. Hit the start test button, then hit the MOR button. Scroll down till you see your chip.

but I can't pick out the chip on my 765 :(
  • hcdouglas 0 Points
    I bought my 785T 6 days ago. I havent powered it up via the MSN cord in the car since yesterday. I just powered it up via my USB and backed up my POI, vehicles, voice, GPX, etc. I will be pissed if Garmin is to send me a refurb when my unit is 6 days old and I bought it brand new. I will return it and buy a new one. If they send out a new / refurb unit how will that differ then what we all have in our hands now?

I needed to use my 785T on Thursday to take a trip to Washington, DC with my family. Will I not be effected by this problem if I unplug the MSN cable from the suction mount and just let it run off the battery?
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Since Garmin just became aware of the scope of the problem less than 3 hours ago, perhaps we could give them just a tad longer to figure out how to proceed. I doubt they even know the cause/cure yet for certain, so unlikely they have settled on a response.
  • Tim 1466 Points
    Garmin will typically replace a defective device with a new device if the defective one was purchased within the past 30 days. Outside of that time and they generally get replaced with a refurb. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here until we know if the fix will be possible from the end user. (which seems likely to me, but just a guess.)
  • Kayrac 0 Points
    dunno if it matters but my 765t that i just purchased is working fine

i installed the newest software AND the chipset update, and all is well here
  • SO FAR, my 765 seems to still be working ---
    this morning backed up everything via windows explorer,
    let it run on battery and calculated a route....

then connected to 12v to 110V wall outlet and calculated another route...

still seems ok thus far, but I haven't taken it for a ride yet....

curious....

I did check and I have the latest software 3.4
  • hcdouglas 0 Points
    Now that I think of it, when I updated my software the other day I wasnt sure if I should update the chipset upgrade so I emailed Garmin and they responded right away and said to update the chipset m file and the voices. I did both, but I still dont want to take a chance and plug it into my MSN cable in the car yet.

I am also running version 3.40

I am correct in saying that my unit will not do any updates unless I plug it into my usb and use webupdater or plug it into my msn cable in the car? The unit does not receive ota updates, correct?
  • Got the latest updates here also, and version 3.40 software.

My Diag screen reports:

3.40 nuvi 755 V8 4GB P1 S3 330MHz

And the Start Test > More list reveals a MediaTek chipset.

It seems all the planets are aligned for mine to brick as well... but so far, everything seems to be working (fingers crossed).

To those of you who experienced this issue: was the device in use for a particular period of time before it was first experienced?

Steve
  • hcdouglas 0 Points
    My diagnostic screen says:

SW Ver 3.40 nuvi 785 V7 4GB P1 S2 330MHz
  • wstevens 81 Points
    Right about now the tech folks at Garmin are running around trying to figure out how to fix the problem.

The executives at Garmin right about now should be working on spreadsheets to figure out how much it will cost to send everyone who has a defective unit a brand new unit at no charge so as to turn those customers into happy customers and to avoid very bad publicity and its costs, compared to the cost of defending multiple lawsuits and possible class action lawsuits.

Let's give them some time (72 hours, one week?) and see what each group at Garmin comes up with.
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    Has anyone sent a tip about this to Navigadget or Engadget?