This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Old Etrex vs garmin GPSmap 60scx

With the 60csx on sale and down to about $296.00 I am considering getting it.

I now have a Etrex which is about 6 - 8 years old with software ver 3.30 I find that it has a couple of problems which tend to get my goat. First it bounces a lot and second it loses its lock in the woods if not held high and flat.

I use it for backpacking (mostly as a toy to amuse myself) and I do some Geocaching where the bouncing can be a problem, but is liveable with.

Now comes the questionsssss :D
What are the advantages of spending $300.00? Other then the maps.
Will it keep a lock when I put it on my backpack strap? So I don't have to hold it flat and up all the time.
Will the bouncing be reduced?

And one question about the Etrex. The computer I have now has a Com port two infact, but I am building a new one that will not. So comes the problem of hooking up my Etrex. Is there a why to interface it with a USB port? USB port to fast?

Comments

• There is serial to USB cable, if you're happy with your current eTrex.
    If you don't want to spend money, maybe you will be happy with the new H-eTrex which is at the same price as the ... old eTrex.
    GPS made 3 years ago just don't cut it with modern ones, in the jungle canopy.
    H= High sensitivity chip.