Why does the Nuvi keep trying to take me on back roads?

Wulf 0 Points
I've been searching this forum, but can't quite find a message that addresses the problem I keep seeing on the 205. I live 4 miles from an interstate highway with an exit exactly 4 miles from my house. But, when I'm on that highway comming towards my house the Nuvi starts telling me to take exits when I'm about 16 miles away from the exit that is 4 miles from my house. Every exit off the highway for 16 miles it says"take exit right". I don't understand why it wants to take me on back roads when the highway is the best way. I have only "avoid u-turns and "off road" selected as things to avoid. I have "fastest way" selected. There is no way 16 miles on back roads will be faster than the highway, so I don't feel that that is the problem. Anyway, I've tried other settings and they either don't make a difference or they are obviously not what I want , like "avoid highways".
So, are all the Garmins this bad at navagation? When I selected the 205 it looked like the higher priced models just give you more "bells and whistles", but the navagation programs are the same on all of them.
I keep hearing that the TomToms are better at navagation(after I buy the Nuvi ). Is there something that I may be doing that is causing this?
Maybe a setting or something?

This makes me not trust the 205 when I'm somewhere I'm not familiar with. I don't feel that it will direct me the best way. Makes me feel that it is not worth even using it when on a trip since it will just lead me way off the correct path.

Thanks! :?

Comments

• Tim 1274 Points
    If you add a via point to the route, forcing the route you want, how does the ETA compare to the original route calculated? Be careful adding the via point on the interstate to avoid getting it in the wrong lane.
  • mldorsey 0 Points
    I read somewhere that one reason Garmins will suggest different routes from A to B than they do from B to A is left turn avoidance. Could that be a factor in your situation?
  • Taconuvi 0 Points
    Besides what Tim suggested, how about following the route the GPS suggests once, and take the time it takes. Then compare it to the time it takes you on your preferred route (under the same conditions, e.g. now traffic jams).

I find mine to be pretty accurate in finding the best route. But I have seen some glitches, one also around my house. It is trying to guide me on a "detour" there as well. Of course, I don't need it / use it close to home, so this does not worry me much.
  • Wulf 0 Points
    Thanks! Tim and everyone else. I never even thought of a "via". I will try it out. I really like the Nuvi and most times feel very confident when using it away from home, but when I saw how bad a job it did when I was near home and felt that I knew the best way, it started to erode my confidence in it. Bottom line; I know it will get me to my destination, so I guess I should be thankful that I have one at all.

It will be a while before I get another chance to test it out on the highway, but when I do try it with a "via" I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks everyone again.

Wulf :)
  • Tim 1274 Points
    Just to reiterate the question I would like to see the answer to is unanswered. If you add a via point to the route, what does it do to the ETA (as shown on the device before you go anywhere) compared to the original route. I'm not asking for both routes to be driven.
  • alkenber 81 Points
    I just got my 755T a few weeks ago. I checked my route from home to work and for the most part it was what I had been driving for the past few years. At one point however it took me off the toll expressway and onto city streets for about 8 km's at the end of my drive. I thought no way, but tried it anyway, just to see.
    Turns out it was, on average a couple minutes faster than the highway, and also saved me a couple $ each day getting off the toll road sooner.
    My advice is drive it once or twice and see, You might be surprised...or not.

Oh, and just a bit of information. All it takes is one unconnected road segment, or an incorrect attribute on a road segment in the mapping and it can force the software to do weird things at any giver intersection or spot on a road. I work with digital mapping for a living and have seen it happen lots of times. The road data is not perfect by any means. Especially highway interchanges.
  • garddog32 0 Points
    I believe that the Nuvi simply underestimates drive time on city/local roads. I actually posted a topic not too long ago on the subject. I have tested the Nuvi on a couple of routes I travel a lot where the Nuvi tells me to exit the highway earlier than I thought it should. I tested it by using my old TomTom and also getting map directions from Google, Bing and Yahoo. All but the Nuvi give the same directions. The Nuvi ends up taking about 30% longer than the directions given by the other systems. I've also had the Nuvi give me directions that didn't involve freeways at all, but gave me directions that would take nearly triple the time it should. As soon as I turned on the road that the Nuvi should have told me to go on, it would recaclulate and sure enough... the estimated trip time would go from 30 minutes to 10.

I'm hoping Garmin fixes these issues in upcoming software releases because I really like a lot of the features of the unit. However, if you are looking for a device that will get you to your destination the fastest... at this time I don't think Garmin is the way to go.
  • mitrajoon 0 Points
    I recently did a 3500 mile road trip and was constantly frustrated by similar actions. My 265wt with updated maps continuously sent us through the middle of town when the freeway would have been the most direct route. Worst example was going from a suburb in Boston to the North End. Took over an hour. My friend whom I was meeting was shocked and gave me the directions via the freeway. Took less than 20 min to get back. Freeway was 2 blocks from where we went in the North End and about a half mile from where we were staying. Same thing happened in Philly. In another case we were traveling in FL from our home in Boca Raton to Atlanta. The Nuvi wanted us to get off the turnpike and get on rt 4 to Orlando (the opposite direction!!) to connect to rt 75. Fortunately I had a FL road map and saw that the turnpike became rt 75 a few miles past where I was told to get off. I passed the turnoff point and immediately our estimated time of arrival in Atlanta dropped by 30 minutes. This happened over and over during our trip. I began getting Google maps where possible and always stopping for maps as we passed through the various states.
  • Stang 0 Points
    One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is to check and see that the unit isn't accidentally in "pedestrian mode".

While in England with my Nuvi 270 I had forgotten that I had used it walking around the previous day. We got in the car, punched in the seaside town we wanted to go to, and away we went.

Although the tour of the countryside was beautiful, we were routed onto all sorts of country lanes, narrow roads, etc. I couldn't figure out why it was sending us down some of these roads as the main roads would have been MUCH faster.

Then I noticed that our ETA was about 5 hours, and I knew that the drive was 30 or 45 minutes. I checked the time settings to see if I had forgotten to change the time zone, but it was correct for the UK.

Eventually I remembered that I had used it in pedestrian mode the previous day and forgot to switch it back. Hence the bizarre routes!

So we meandered our way and got there eventually. Actually, in hindsight, I really enjoyed the driving that day as we were simply out exploring things anyway, and really didn't have a schedule to worry about. I might even do the same thing again when I'd like a tour of the countryside.

But, of course, that's not how a GPS unit is supposed to operate. :) Especially when you want to get from A to B as efficiently as possible.

Not sure if that's the problem, but I thought I'd share the story anyway!
  • mitrajoon 0 Points
    Stang,

Not sure if you were replying to my comment but I should have mentioned that I was constantly checking avoidances and other possible issues such as the one you mentioned to try to figure out why the unit was so off.

Good story though. Reminds us to keep a sense of humor about all this.
  • on the avoidances screen, be sure you scroll up and down to the other pages, maybe one is hidden :) Yes, I discovered that after having mine for a week !
  • mitrajoon 0 Points
    Good advice, but this is my 3rd GPS so I was careful to check everything.
  • Tabs 0 Points
    I've said this in other threads on the topic already, but I'm almost 100% positive this issue started with the 2010 maps - before, our 250W would route correctly using the Interstates like Google etc.

Before leaving on a long trip (I'm in a touring band), we updated it to 2010.1 and it started doing a bunch of nonsensical things like putting us on rural US highways with tons of slow switchbacks through the mountain rim area of AZ instead of using I-19 and I-40 like the older Garmin maps and Google do...

Garmin changed something that's causing the Nuvi units' routing algorithm to think these backroads are faster when they clearly aren't. I know for a fact from experience that taking the roads it told us to (we were going to the TX/OK panhandle area on this trip) would have easily added an hour plus if not more to the travel time vs. the Interstates.

Hope they fix this in a new map update...
  • mitrajoon 0 Points
    I hadn't thought about that but you're right, prior to the 2010 map update this was not a problem. However, they'll charge for a new map update. They need to post a "software fix".
  • dequardo 0 Points
    Totally agree that this is a recent phenomenon of Garmins. I've experienced this now in IL (coming from home in Milwaukee), in Indianapolis, and in GA.

In all cases-with NO avoidances checked, and in automobile mode, I was constantly routed off of freeways and major roads onto more minor roads. In IL and Indy I knew these routes to be wrong. I assume the GA routes near Atlanta were similarly wrong.

This is way more than 'all brands do this'. This is a real issue and problem IMO.

Mike
  • I just purchased a brand new 265wt - got it home and updated the maps.

I guess I should have used it a few times before I updated to see if there was a difference - but I didn't. My issue is that when I have it set for the fastest route and select to go HOME - it will take me about 3 miles out of my way to get me home. When I get off the interstate I can go 1 mile take a right turn and follow that road 7 miles to my driveway. Now when I get off the interstate we bypass the right turn that would be a short direct route to my house. Instead we continue straight down the road - passing by several alternative turn offs that would also lead to my house on back roads only to go about 2 miles past my house to take a right turn - go another mile - and then finally take another right to travel back about 1 mile to my house. I haven't checked the mileage going this route because I just turned the Garmin off at the last right turn.

What's up with the NUVI? One other thing I have noticed - speed limits. In our community we do not have trash pick up so we have to go to a central location for trash. I have noticed several times going to the "dump" no speed limit on my Garmin. When I travel back home on the same road - just on the other side of the road - the little speed limit sign will pop up showing the posted speed limit as 55 mph. Tell me why? How is it there is no speed on one side of the road and there is a speed limit on the other side of the road.

I don't understand!!!!
  • Tim 1274 Points
    IWhen I travel back home on the same road - just on the other side of the road - the little speed limit sign will pop up showing the posted speed limit as 55 mph. Tell me why? How is it there is no speed on one side of the road and there is a speed limit on the other side of the road.
    It isn't terribly uncommon for the speed limit of a road to be different for one direction than another. So it is just as simple as the mapping company knows what the speed limit is in one direction but doesn't have the data for the other direction.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    have you tried entering the same route on MapQuest? That would help identify whether it's a Garmin issue or whether there's been a road classification change in the Navteq map, making it a Navteq one.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    Yes.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Waukesha&1s=WI&1a=1100+Summit+Ave&1z=53188
    &2c=Chicago+&2s=IL&2pn=John+G+Shedd+aquarium#a/maps/
    l::1100+Summit+Ave:Waukesha:WI:53188-2948:US:43.020533:-88.246658:address:Waukesha+County:1/l:John+G+Shedd+Aquarium:
    1200+S+Lake+Shore+Dr:Chicago:IL:60605:US:41.86502:-87.616989:address::1/m::5:42.457609:-87.938686:0:::::
    /io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

This is correct. All recent Nuvis have me exit I-94 at the Illinois border and take HWY 41 all the way to downtown Chicago. A ridiculous route.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    IWhen I travel back home on the same road - just on the other side of the road - the little speed limit sign will pop up showing the posted speed limit as 55 mph. Tell me why? How is it there is no speed on one side of the road and there is a speed limit on the other side of the road.

It isn't terribly uncommon for the speed limit of a road to be different for one direction than another. So it is just as simple as the mapping company knows what the speed limit is in one direction but doesn't have the data for the other direction.
    "Not terribly uncommon"? I've been driving for almost 40 years now. I've never seen this phenomenon.
  • Tim 1274 Points
    I guess it depends where you are-- I see it from time to time.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    Not necessarily with a Garmin, but I've had several instances where the speed limit appears, then disappears, then reappears while traveling the same major highway with no speed limit change. If the speed limit has not been verified for each and every segment, it's not unusual to have it missing at certain places along that road.
  • mldorsey 0 Points
    I plugged in your start and finish into my PC version of Delorme Street Atlas USA 2003. It also had me use Rt 41 from the state line till returning to I-94 near the Cook/Lake county line. What ever Garmin does so does DeLorme.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    Well very interestingly the newest Garmins (one of each size at a local BB store) do NOT display this same Milwaukee to Chicago flakiness. The two I tested took I-94/I-90 the entire way. As it SHOULD under 'fastest'.

Mike
  • mitrajoon 0 Points
    It seems clear there is a problem. Can one of you "power users" (e.g., Tim, Gatorguy) get someone at Garmin to address the issue? As it is now, I have to Google Map and print copies of my routes and then double check them against the Garmin routes to be sure I'm not being sent miles out of my way.
  • I thoght only my Nuvi goes crazy, insted of going straight it makes me go in circles :evil:
  • nick98338 0 Points
    I also experienced the weird-route-after-2010 Map update problem with my Nuvi 285W. My wife and I were traveling from western Washington to eastern Washington. Easy choice of routes... just stay on I-90. The Garmin kept telling me to take the side roads that parallel the interstate. Dumb. I checked everything that I could think of. I didn't have any avoidance choices turned on. What I did was... remove sd card with 2010 map, push "reset" button on bottom of unit, turn on unit, recheck/reset all options including all avoidance checks off, re-install sd card. I have not experienced the the problem since. It seems, to me, that the reset was what solved the problem, but I can't be certain. All I know is that the problem has not happened since the reset.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    edited July 2009
    makes little sense assuming avoidances were the same after as before the reset. have you tried it on identical routes since?
  • nick98338 0 Points
    have you tried it on identical routes since?
    Well... in a way, yes. I had the problem while traveling to a camp site. While camping, I did the reset. Then, traveled from the campsite, back home, and did not have the problem. No, not identical routes, but the very same route in the opposite direction.
  • I will rest my gps, reinstal the maps on gps (i have my city map instaled on gps, other maps on card) , and go the same route to see if it tels me take that weird route again, this happend in my neigbourhood so i can check this very easy.
  • mitrajoon 0 Points
    So what was the result of your test?
  • I had the same result, I guess I'm doing something wrong ... no avoidance, gps in car/moto mode, fastest route ... what else ?
  • mitrajoon 0 Points
    I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Enough of us are experiencing the same thing that it must be either a software glitch or worse a hardware problem in some units. I say worse because it means there is probably nothing you can do about it unless you recognize the problem in time to return the unit.
  • tomltoons 0 Points
    Hi, I got a new Nuvi 760 last week and have been using it so far in my area of Brooklyn, NY to see how it fares to get use to it before I make a trip to Boston. Not too bad so far. Then I used it to come home from Long Island NY (about 45 minutes away), there is a direct route of the Southtern State Pkwy into the Belt Parkway. I live about 10 blocks off the Belt Pkwy. In the middle of my trip home it kept telling me to get off the Belt and take streets in the borough of Queens (which is in between Long Island and Brooklyn). What a croc. That would take me about double the time. I tried all kinds of settings and it kept wanting to get off the next exit then again the next exit. It is ridiculous to get off the highway when the exit off the highway is so close to my house. It finally gave up after it kept on recalculating passing about 3 exits and also using the detour button here and there and told me to finally get off the exit I needed to see about 10 miles away. Horrible. I don't trust this now and will have to mapquest my trip to Boston as well. I am very disappointed now.
  • mitrajoon 0 Points
    Definitely pre map your route with mapquest or google. Here is a repost of my experience which I discussed on another thread talking about this issue. Note specifically what happened in the Boston area.

"I recently did a 3500 mile road trip and was constantly frustrated by similar actions. My 265wt with updated maps continuously sent us through the middle of town when the freeway would have been the most direct route. Worst example was going from a suburb in Boston to the North End. Took over an hour. My friend whom I was meeting was shocked and gave me the directions via the freeway. Took less than 20 min to get back. Freeway was 2 blocks from where we went in the North End and about a half mile from where we were staying. Same thing happened in Philly. In another case we were traveling in FL from our home in Boca Raton to Atlanta. The Nuvi wanted us to get off the turnpike and get on rt 4 to Orlando (the opposite direction!!) to connect to rt 75. Fortunately I had a FL road map and saw that the turnpike became rt 75 a few miles past where I was told to get off. I passed the turnoff point and immediately our estimated time of arrival in Atlanta dropped by 30 minutes. This happened over and over during our trip. I began getting Google maps where possible and always stopping for maps as we passed through the various states."

Why can't someone get Garmin to address this issue?
  • tomltoons 0 Points
    I just printed out from mapquest my trip to Boston from Brooklyn, NY and I also programmed my Garmin 760 and they both coincide with each other. They both gave me all highway driving right up to the Hotel I will be staying at. I double checked everything on the maps and it seems to be perfect. I just don't understand how it made such a mistake the day before where I live (see previous post) coming back from Long Island. I will definitly have to print out mapquest along with my Garmin.

I hope though Garmin knows of the issues with their maps by not getting a better direct route. They should have an option called "as much direct highway as possible." LOL
  • My 255w on a route from near Pottstown PA down to Smith Mountain Lake VA wants to take me I-95 around DC on the I-495 and I-66 then 140miles on rt-29. All the other online maps go to the I-81 to just a few miles north of Roanoke. If i put a via on the I-81 on the 255w it comes up 6mins shorter than its own fastest route.
  • paulthorn 0 Points
    Here's one for you. I just bought a Nuvi 255W last week and updated it with the newest maps-2010. After reading posts about funny routing I turned mine on and told it to go to Philadelphia International Airport from Atlantic City NJ. It put me on the Atlantic City Expressway to Philadelphia, but after that a nice tour of Philadelphia which is wrong, because the airport is southeast of the city. I've been there many times and know this route is wrong. I then got out my old Streetpilot C340 with 2008 maps, told it to do the same route, and it got it perfect. All interstates, no side roads. I'm leaving Tuesday for Arizona, guess I'll take both along, but I'll sure believe the C340 over the 255W. I'm going to reset my 255W, and see what happens.
    Paul
  • SergZak 222 Points
    I'm starting to think that something is screwy in the newest 2010.10 maps since these bizarre routing issues seem to be reported with that map version. Garmin has had issues with every single one of the past downloadable map updates (broken Junction View, problems with transferring maps to limited memory nuvis, maybe another issue I'm missing), If their firmware periodically has issues, maybe there is something actually wrong with the map database and the route calculation algorithms. Kinda makes you wonder...
  • cuc tu 0 Points
    so if I update from 2010.10 to the next, whenever it comes out, and it gets even worse, is it at all possible to revert back?

I'm thinking a backup of my current system is the only way?

Does Garmin sell older maps at a discount?
  • SergZak 222 Points
    It's very easy to backup your current maps so you can revert back to them if you need to. Here's what to backup:

Detailed map
    x:/garmin/gmapprom.img
    x:/garmin/gmapprom.unl (if on the unit)

3D Buildings map (unit specific such as nuvi 7x5)
    x:/gmap3d.img
    x:/gmap3d2.img (transcontinental units such as nuvi 775)

Junction View (unit specific such as nuvi 7x5)
    x:/garmin/JCV/xxxxxxxx.jcv

The 3D Buildings map & Junction View are tied to the main detailed map so they need to be kept together as a set. They should not be interchanged/mixed with other map versions. Example: don't use the Junction View & 3D Buildings map from 2010.10 with the 2009.11 map image file or vise-versa.

The .sum files such as gmapprom.sum are not used. They are simply checksum files that are generated when the diagnotic test is run on the unit.

And it's always a good idea to backup the entire contents of the nuvi, not just the maps.
  • garddog32 0 Points
    I'm starting to think that something is screwy in the newest 2010.10 maps since these bizarre routing issues seem to be reported with that map version. Garmin has had issues with every single one of the past downloadable map updates (broken Junction View, problems with transferring maps to limited memory nuvis, maybe another issue I'm missing), If their firmware periodically has issues, maybe there is something actually wrong with the map database and the route calculation algorithms. Kinda makes you wonder...
    I have the last 2009 map update on my 765T and have the same problem. My guess is that it is not a problem with the maps, but a problem with the route calculation algorithms as you mentioned. It's very disappointing. I did open a ticket with Garmin about this issue (just before all of the 7X5T units got bricked). I have not heard anything back from them. I'm sure they are still busy fixing returned units, but maybe they'll will actually do something about the problem if all of us open tickets???????
  • mitrajoon 0 Points
    I'm in. Will call today.
  • dice974 0 Points
    Hello all, same thing happens with my Nuvi 260w. It still has the original maps (not sure if it's 2008 or 2009). But it always wants to take me off of the Interstate on a backroad. Last week I was fishing in IL coming up one interstate it wanted me to take back roads to connect to the other Interstate. I stayed on the first Interstate it recalculated, directed me to turn on the second Interstated and the arrival time changed to five minutes earlier. Doesn't make sense, I have fastest time selected, so how come when it recalculated after I stayed on the Interstate the Nuvi now decides it was the faster time to stay on the Interstate and not get off on the backroad. Maybe it doesn't calculate the speed of the Interstate versus a back road that has a 30 mph speed limit.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    This is a huge issue that I can't believe has lingered this long.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    I'm tending towards Sergzaks opinion. While I haven't personally seen any odd routing behavior with the latest map on a 760, enough users are posting to indicate there might be something being misread in the 2010.2 map on at least some devices. AFAIK, all the current nuvi models use the same routing algorithm so I don't think it's that.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    edited July 2009
    Could well be. What map version comes on the newer 12xx, and 13xx models? None of those exhibit this same routing snafu.
  • tomltoons 0 Points
    My trip from Long Island back to Brooklyn that I posted in this thread was with the 2009 maps that came with it. It kept on wanting me to exit off the highway to take streets. I downloaded the 2010 maps to my computer, but I have not placed in in my 760 yet because some of you guys seem to have the same problems with the 2010. I guess I will try the 2010 and check again any way. It will probably be the same thing. Like I said before, there should be another option.... to use as much highway as possible.
  • BullieverBulliever 0 Points
    Hi, I got a new Nuvi 760 last week and have been using it so far in my area of Brooklyn, NY to see how it fares to get use to it before I make a trip to Boston. Not too bad so far. Then I used it to come home from Long Island NY (about 45 minutes away), there is a direct route of the Southtern State Pkwy into the Belt Parkway. I live about 10 blocks off the Belt Pkwy. In the middle of my trip home it kept telling me to get off the Belt and take streets in the borough of Queens (which is in between Long Island and Brooklyn). What a croc. That would take me about double the time. I tried all kinds of settings and it kept wanting to get off the next exit then again the next exit. It is ridiculous to get off the highway when the exit off the highway is so close to my house. It finally gave up after it kept on recalculating passing about 3 exits and also using the detour button here and there and told me to finally get off the exit I needed to see about 10 miles away. Horrible. I don't trust this now and will have to mapquest my trip to Boston as well. I am very disappointed now.
    In order for any of us here to be able to simulate your trip on our Nuvis, you will have to be more specific as to your starting and ending points as well as any via points that you may have entered. We would also need to know any "avoidances" that you may have set.

For those not familiar with the area, Brooklyn (Kings County) and Queens County along with Nassau and Suffolk counties are part of Long Island. The is no town, village or city named Long Island, NY.

I'll be happy to simulate the route on my 755T w/2009.11 maps and see what I come up with.
  • tomltoons 0 Points
    edited July 2009

In order for any of us here to be able to simulate your trip on our Nuvis, you will have to be more specific as to your starting and ending points as well as any via points that you may have entered. We would also need to know any "avoidances" that you may have set.

For those not familiar with the area, Brooklyn (Kings County) and Queens County along with Nassau and Suffolk counties are part of Long Island. The is no town, village or city named Long Island, NY.

I'll be happy to simulate the route on my 755T w/2009.11 maps and see what I come up with.
    Hi, It didn't mater which town of Long Island if it says Southern State to take home, but it was West Babylon back to my address in Dyker Heights Brooklyn. I had all avoidances off, but checked off was car pool lanes and off road. There is only one real direct route to take from there which is Southern State (which it told me to take, which is correct) to Belt Parkway to my exit of 14th Ave/Bay 8th St. (which it preferred not to take me) I live a few blocks from 14th Ave which is 11th Ave and 76th St. I did not use any Via points. I was running 2009 maps. Why on earth would it want to get me off the highway and travel through Queens 3 exits worth. Then after passing those 3 exits it finally said to take rest of the Belt. I asked my brother in law when he came back home that same night and lives a few blocks from me with his Ford Edge that has built in GPS and it took him Southern State right to Belt Parkway and right to 14th ave/Bay 8th St. Confused!