This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Why does the Nuvi keep trying to take me on back roads?

Comments

• cuc tu 91 Points
    ...the latest map on a 760, enough users are posting to indicate there might be something being misread in the 2010.2 map on at least some devices.
    Are we on 2010.10 or is there an update?
  • BullieverBulliever 0 Points
    Hi, I got a new Nuvi 760 last week and have been using it so far in my area of Brooklyn, NY to see how it fares to get use to it before I make a trip to Boston. Not too bad so far. Then I used it to come home from Long Island NY (about 45 minutes away), there is a direct route of the Southtern State Pkwy into the Belt Parkway. I live about 10 blocks off the Belt Pkwy. In the middle of my trip home it kept telling me to get off the Belt and take streets in the borough of Queens (which is in between Long Island and Brooklyn). What a croc. That would take me about double the time. I tried all kinds of settings and it kept wanting to get off the next exit then again the next exit. It is ridiculous to get off the highway when the exit off the highway is so close to my house. It finally gave up after it kept on recalculating passing about 3 exits and also using the detour button here and there and told me to finally get off the exit I needed to see about 10 miles away. Horrible. I don't trust this now and will have to mapquest my trip to Boston as well. I am very disappointed now.

In order for any of us here to be able to simulate your trip on our Nuvis, you will have to be more specific as to your starting and ending points as well as any via points that you may have entered. We would also need to know any "avoidances" that you may have set.

For those not familiar with the area, Brooklyn (Kings County) and Queens County along with Nassau and Suffolk counties are part of Long Island. The is no town, village or city named Long Island, NY.

I'll be happy to simulate the route on my 755T w/2009.11 maps and see what I come up with.
    Hi, It didn't mater which town of Long Island, but it was West Babylon back to my address in Dyker Heights Brooklyn. I had all avoidances off, but checked off was car pool lanes and off road. There is only one real direct route to take from there which is Southern State (which it told me to take, which is correct) to Belt Parkway to my exit of 14th Ave/Bay 8th St. (which it preferred not to take me) I live a few blocks from 14th Ave which is 11th Ave and 76th St. I did not use any Via points. I was running 2009 maps. Why on earth would it want to get me off the highway and travel through Queens 3 exits worth. Then after passing those 3 exits it finally said to take rest of the Belt. I asked my brother in law when he came back home that same night and lives a few blocks from me with his Ford Edge that has built in GPS and it took him Southern State right to Belt Parkway and right to 14th ave/Bay 8th St. Confused!
    Dyker Heights is not specific enough...I need a valid address in the vicinity of your home.
  • tomltoons 0 Points
    Try 7718- 11th Ave Brooklyn NY

PS: By the way. I just tried it in my home, a route from West Babylon to my house and now it gave me the right directions with the same settings. Figure that one out.

PS: By the way. I just tried it in my home, a route from West Babylon to my house and now it gave me the right directions with the same settings. Figure that one out.

Here's what I got:

A. W Babylon to 11th Av/76th St

39.3 miles - 57 minutes

S State/ Belt Pky to Exit 17W
    R to N Conduit
    L on Bay Ridge Pky
    R on 11th Av
    Arrive at 11th Av/76th St
    ---------------------------------------------

B. W Babylon to 7718 11th Av

43.7 miles - 1 hr, 1 min

S State/Belt Pky to Exit 4 to Bay 8th St
    L on Cropsey
    R on 14th Ave
    L on 86th St
    Right on 11th Av
    Arrive at 7718 11th Ave
  • tomltoons 0 Points

Here's what I got:

A.
    W Babylon to 11th Av/76th St

39.3 miles - 57 minutes

S State/ Belt Pky to Exit 17W
    R to N Conduit
    L on Bay Ridge Pky
    R on 11th Av
    Arrive at 11th Av/76th St
    ---------------------------------------------

43.7 miles - 1 hr, 1 min

L on Cropsey
    R on 14th Ave
    L on 86th St
    Right on 11th Av
    Arrive at 7718 11th Ave
    A) N Conduit does not go to Bay Ridge pkwy...there are a few steps missing and more streets and will take longer...and the time is wrong in B...should be 42 minutes not an hour even if the miles are longer...it is a straight run and you can go faster then taking N Conduit (I believe 30 to 40 mph) and streets. B though is the correct way.

I was wondering also if the fact that the Belt is only 50mph. They consider it a Parkway not a real highway even though it is. Parkway mph in the state of NY can only be posted up to 50, thats why they have a problem to change the mph, but cops let you do 60mph.
  • Wulf 0 Points
    Wow, when I started this topic I never thought it would be such a big issue. Anyway, I reset my 205 and ran the same route as I did when I noticed the problem. This time, comming back from Boston to the Hartford Connecticut area, it only tried once to take me off the Interstate at the first "optional" state highway. Once I did not take that exit, it recalculated and correctly took me 9 more miles on the Interstate to the correct exit 4 miles from my house. Before the reset, it constantly was trying to have me take every possible exit for those 9 miles.

So, maybe a reste will work for you too. FYI I had to actually press the reset button a few times before it started working correctly. After the first reset it acted very strange and when I looked at it it was in "off road" mode. I corrected that setting and reset again, this time it seemed to be OK.

I sure hope this works for others here.

Good luck!
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Resetting your nuvi after an application or map update usually seems to correct some of these odd behaviors. Quite a few posters have mentioned their "issue" going away afterwards.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    Wish it were that simple.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Many times it is :)

43.7 miles - 1 hr, 1 min

L on Cropsey
    R on 14th Ave
    L on 86th St
    Right on 11th Av
    Arrive at 7718 11th Ave

A) N Conduit does not go to Bay Ridge pkwy...there are a few steps missing and more streets and will take longer...and the time is wrong in B...should be 42 minutes not an hour even if the miles are longer...it is a straight run and you can go faster then taking N Conduit (I believe 30 to 40 mph) and streets. B though is the correct way.
    Distance/time for route "B" is 43.7 miles/1 hr 1min.

Google Maps: 44.5/1 hr 1 min - 1 hr 30 min w/traffic
    MapQuest : 43.62/1 hr 1 min
    AAA Maps : 43.9/1 hr 2 min

Garmin's "A" route is correctly mapped and would get you to the destination, despite the fact that it referred to other streets (IE: Linden Blvd) as Bay Ridge Parkway. I believe that streets are more or less a seamless continuation not requiring a distinct left or right turn turn. Perhaps overhead signage may direct drivers to Bay Ridge Ridge Pky from N Conduit. Though it may not be your choice of routes, the "A" route is not incorrect, because it will get you to the church as promised.
    Actual driving times vary according to individual driving habits and traffic conditions, but personally I'd allow more than 42 minutes to get me to the church on time on route "B".

I spent 35 years living on LI and the Belt Parkway is hardly what I would call a "straight run".
  • mwanning 0 Points
    Backroads - I had the same problem. Go to avoidances and SCROLL DOWN. There is a second page and find something like "Avoid Carpool Lanes". I do not remember the exact phrase. But it is checked by default. You could also turn off avoidances as a temp test.

I was visiting Louisville and the my new 760 would not go on some interstate highways. I was parallel to the interstate but not on it. I did not understand. So I played and finally found the avoid carpool default. As soon as I turned it off, Garmin said turn left and get on the interstate. Thing was I did not see a carpool lane on that part of the interstate.

At least I had an excuse since I was upgrading from a StreetPilot which did not have this option, so I never looked at the second screen of avoidances. I just wish I had not found this the last day of the trip.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    That's good advice but I have the problem with no avoidances checked.
  • That's good advice but I have the problem with no avoidances checked.
    Same here.

I raised a ticket with Garmin about my 255w routing me down rt-29 through VA on a route from Pottstown PA to the airport at Smith Mountain Lake VA, and they said couldn't replicate the issue there, with their nuvis going down the I-81. Odd. They've offered an exchange which i might do after my trip.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    edited July 2009
    One thing's for sure. It's either the mapping or the combination of certain mapping and SW. Whichever it's endemic and why Garmin can't or hasn't figured this out and fixed it yet is beyond belief.

I'd get a 1350 but do not trust that a map update won't introduce the problem there.

All the folks who trash Magellan and praise Garmin for CS need to rethink things IMO over this large issue.
  • tomltoons 0 Points
    I sent Garmin a letter about the problem of why it diverts me off the highway and they in return said they have those problems in certain areas of the country. They told me to write them specifically which highway I was referring to. I sent them the details of my area. I don't know what they will eventually do about it.
  • tomltoons 0 Points
    I had the car pool lanes checked. I just unchecked it. Lets see if that works Thanks for that advice. I figured I keep that checked because I didn't want to be thrown into a car pool lane. Like you said as well, Belt parkway has no car pool lane either, but it's worth a shot.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    I sent Garmin a letter about the problem of why it diverts me off the highway and they in return said they have those problems in certain areas of the country. They told me to write them specifically which highway I was referring to. I sent them the details of my area. I don't know what they will eventually do about it.
    Just ridiculous IMO. What are they going to do if they get 1,000s of examples?
  • tomltoons 0 Points

Just ridiculous IMO. What are they going to do if they get 1,000s of examples?
    Well, if they do get thousands then maybe they will see that there is a really big problem and do something about it. I won't hold my breathe though.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    With enough reports, and how many is "enough", perhaps a pattern can be seen leading to a quicker solution. Sounds like the proper thing to do.
    I had the car pool lanes checked. I just unchecked it. Lets see if that works Thanks for that advice. I figured I keep that checked because I didn't want to be thrown into a car pool lane. Like you said as well, Belt parkway has no car pool lane either, but it's worth a shot.
    A PNG cannot "throw" you or your car into any lane, only you the driver can do that. When you ignore the GPS it will recalculate the route. If you know the "best" way to go somewhere, then you really don't need an electronic gizmo to get you there. Life's too short to let a gadget ruin your day. FIDO!

My dad knew more about Long Island roads (Kings, Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk) than any person I ever met, and he used to say... "If they already knew the best way to get there, then why in the hell were they asking me for directions?"
  • dequardo 0 Points
    True enough. One can always use a map also. That's not the point.
  • tomltoons 0 Points

A PNG cannot "throw" you or your car into any lane, only you the driver can do that. When you ignore the GPS it will recalculate the route. If you know the "best" way to go somewhere, then you really don't need an electronic gizmo to get you there. Life's too short to let a gadget ruin your day. FIDO!

My dad knew more about Long Island roads (Kings, Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk) than any person I ever met, and he used to say... "If they already knew the best way to get there, then why in the hell were they asking me for directions?"
    Like I said in another post...the reason I used the gps back from Long Island was to test it out on somewhere that I was familiar with so when I use it on a trip where I don't know is to see whether or not how accurate or how trust worthy it is. This is my first gps besides borrowing one from a friend last year.
    Just for kicks ( I know, I know, I need to get a life!) I used my 755T's "ecoRoute" (Less Fuel) feature to plot the trip from W Babylon to 7718 11th Ave.

Route "C": Distance 37.9 miles; Time 58 minutes

Rt to Sunrise Hwy (Rt-27 W/New York)
    Left to Belt Pky W to Verrazano Bridge
    Exit 17W right to N Conduit Av
    Left on New Utrecht Av
    Keep right on 11th Ave
    Arrive at 7718 0n right.

Next, I set navigation for "shorter distance" route resulting in the following.

Route "D": Distance 37.9 miles; Time: 59 minutes

Rt to Sunrise Hwy (Rt-27 W/New York)
    Left to Belt Pky W to Verrazano Bridge
    Exit 21A right to Rockaway Blvd
    Left on 48th St.
    Right on 11th Ave
    Arrive at 7718 11th Av on right.

Let's compare the results.

"B" - "Faster" - 43.7 miles - 61 minutes

"C" - "Less Fuel" - 37.8 miles - 58 minutes

"D" - "Shorter" - 37.9 miles - 59 minutes

Garmin's "Faster" route is not the fastest and the "Shorter" isn't the shortest. According to Garmin's computations the "Less Fuel" routing is both the fastest, and shortest of the 3 routes. :roll:

*Note* Computations were done using my 755T w/2009.11 maps; SW version 3.60; Avoidances: Unpaved Roads

Start Point: West Babylon, NY
    End Point: 7718 11th Ave; Brooklyn, NY 11228

It would be interesting to see what other Nuvis compute for this route.
  • tomltoons 0 Points
    Sorry, but I think "C" would be at least another 20-30 minutes because of all the lights and shopping on Sunrise Hwy. Had to take Sunrise one time because of an accident on Southern State and it took forever to get home. You go through about 5 or 6 towns. Crazy. I guess the maps don't realize that and especially if it is a weekend as well. Also, the N Conduit idea is also crazy as well. Been there done that.
    Sorry, but I think "C" would be at least another 20-30 minutes because of all the lights and shopping on Sunrise Hwy. Had to take Sunrise one time because of an accident on Southern State and it took forever to get home. You go through about 5 or 6 towns. Crazy. I guess the maps don't realize that and especially if it is a weekend as well. Also, the N Conduit idea is also crazy as well. Been there done that.
    Suggestion: Return your 760 for a refund asap...and you'll be a more happy camper. :lol:
  • tomltoons 0 Points

Suggestion: Return your 760 for a refund asap...and you'll be a more happy camper. :lol:
    Now why would you say that? I guess you really have a lot of time on your hands. Just because garmins maps don't seem to be perfect doesn't mean that it is a bad product. The reason why I bought the 760 over all the other models is because it had pretty much the best reviews over the past year then most models and on this message board the least complaints. I need this thing to get me to Boston and then to Upstate NY from there. I also need to use it in New Jersey where I have quite a few relatives and business.
  • Seajays 0 Points
    Just a question about this routing issue and length of time...

We all know that the Nuvi "learns" the speed you can travel on routes, as it automatically adjusts its ETAs as it learns your driving habits.

How much of an impact can that have on the routing... for example if you take the 'slow' route a couple of times, will it learn the fact that it's not the best route after all, and as the ETA adjusts, will it at some point flick over to the other route (if indeed it is consistently faster?)

Just a thought...
  • dequardo 0 Points
    Zero impact.
  • mwanning 0 Points
    Just a question about this routing issue and length of time...

We all know that the Nuvi "learns" the speed you can travel on routes, as it automatically adjusts its ETAs as it learns your driving habits.

How much of an impact can that have on the routing... for example if you take the 'slow' route a couple of times, will it learn the fact that it's not the best route after all, and as the ETA adjusts, will it at some point flick over to the other route (if indeed it is consistently faster?)

Just a thought...
    I did not think the "learning" routes was a feature until the xx5 series. If I am correct, then this would not have an effect on the 760.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    That's been a feature of Garmin's engine since the 2700 series StreetPilots AFAIK.

No evidence that it affects routing, only the estimated time of arrival.
  • 885t user 0 Points
    Tried going from Richmond VA to Alexandria VA (should be straight up I95) but wanted to take me all over the back roads!

Why did I just spend $400 on this unit?

I would say this is a MAJOR PROBLEM!

I'm calling Garmin.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    I agree it's a very large problem that does not seem to be getting the appropriate attention.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Be sure to check your navigation settings and avoidances. If using "Shortest" you'll sometimes get the scenic route. :)
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Just noticed Tim's reply to your similar question in a different thread, as well as your response. Plugging in just city to city destination, I don't get a backwoods route on 2010.1 maps on my 760. It may be specific to certain application versions on specific models. I personally haven't seen enough detail from users yet to get a feel for where the problem is originating. It's odd, that's for sure.

Desquado, since you also have mentioned odd routes in some places, do you mind doing a city to city route and see what you get?
    Plugging in just city to city destination, I don't get a backwoods route on 2010.1 maps on my 760. It may be specific to certain application versions on specific models.
    Ditto on my 755 w/2009.11 maps.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    Just noticed Tim's reply to your similar question in a different thread, as well as your response. Plugging in just city to city destination, I don't get a backwoods route on 2010.1 maps on my 760. It may be specific to certain application versions on specific models. I personally haven't seen enough detail from users yet to get a feel for where the problem is originating. It's odd, that's for sure.

Desquado, since you also have mentioned odd routes in some places, do you mind doing a city to city route and see what you get?
    Did the city to city route. Still get the 'get off on Hwy 41" at the IL border when going from Milwaukee to Chicago.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    No, I meant from Alexandria to Richmond.
  • dequardo 0 Points
    Sorry but for me that's all I need to know that it can not be trusted.
  • Sorry,
    but your 3 year old papermaps may not be trustworthy either for the "best" route as you say....

but won't they both get you there ????
    just in North Dallas the other night and it said turn right on .... Blvd..
    well the bridge was taken out the week before.... I hardly slowed and guess what in 3 seconds it said go .5 miles, turn right.... etc. got me there better than the drunk girl trying to tell me how to get from the bar to her hotel :lol:

And I BELIEVE me, I WANTED the most direct route !!! :oops: :shock:
  • dequardo 0 Points
    Sorry,
    but your 3 year old papermaps may not be trustworthy either for the "best" route as you say....

paper maps don't give you a route. duh.

but won't they both get you there ????

you miss the forest through the trees.

just in North Dallas the other night and it said turn right on .... Blvd..
    well the bridge was taken out the week before.... I hardly slowed and guess what in 3 seconds it said go .5 miles, turn right.... etc. got me there better than the drunk girl trying to tell me how to get from the bar to her hotel :lol:

And I BELIEVE me, I WANTED the most direct route !!! :oops: :shock:
    then you'd better stay away from the xx5 series
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Sorry but for me that's all I need to know that it can not be trusted.
    Sorry. Thought you might be able to take a look.
  • Sorry but for me that's all I need to know that it can not be trusted.
    So, what do you trust !00%?
  • Sorry but for me that's all I need to know that it can not be trusted.

So, what do you trust 100%?
    Any GPS that routes me to Chicago via Hwy 41 and routes me through Indy on side roads can not be trusted. Simple as that.

A. Garmin 13xx or my current TomTom XL340s
  • Why don't we organize a write-in campaign to Garmin? Let's post the link to customer feedback and get everyone to write the exact same bug, changing only the routing that is affected? :)
  • That's well intentioned but I'd ask rhetorically, "why can't Garmin simply take the two devices themselves and see that they route differently then they can FIGURE IT OUT THEMSELVES??!!"

Sorry but this just drives me nuts (no pun intended).

Mike
  • Miller 0 Points
    I have a Street Pilot C550 with 2008 maps that does a great job of routing me to where I am going. I have a Wal-Mart that is right next to an exit ramp of a highway. The C550 routes me to that exit. I just purchased a Nuvi 765T with the 2020.10 maps installed. It has me get off at the exit before the Wal-Mart exit and take a back road the rest of the way. This back road is a major road through town and it is always backed up. Staying on the highway is significantly faster. I have noticed this issue with other places I go as well. I installed the 2010.20 maps as a free upgrade, but the Nuvi still routes me on back roads instead of staying on the highway. It is enough of an issue that I have a hard time trusting it when I am going someplace that I do not know.

Has anyone had anything official from Garmin concerning this?
  • That's very disappointing news but thanks for the information.
  • That's well intentioned but I'd ask rhetorically, "why can't Garmin simply take the two devices themselves and see that they route differently then they can FIGURE IT OUT THEMSELVES??!!"

Sorry but this just drives me nuts (no pun intended).

Mike
    Because sometimes it takes a consumer outrage to get things fixed. I will draft the outline of what you need to send and then post the customer service link. And anyone who has a Twitter account should tweet about it too. :mrgreen:
  • I'm in! Just send me the info. on how/where to post. Thanks
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I'm not trying to discourage anyone from sending in any feedback they have. However I'll just note to those curious that Garmin does know about this thread and they are reading it frequently.