This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Why does the Nuvi keep trying to take me on back roads?

Comments

• I just purchased a 255W and I'm dismayed by this thread. I haven't used it enough to notice any of these issues yet but I'm sure mine is no different than the others mentioned here.

When I first plugged it in to my computer and signed in to Garmin, (I think) a firmware update was installed. Also, there is a 2010.20 map set available for d/l. Has anyone tried the latest firmware and mapset to determine if the wacky routing issue has been fixed? If it has not, this thing is going back. It has one job: get me there using the fastest route, every time. If it can't do that, I'll go elsewhere.

Wouldn't it suck to have a GPS that you can use your phone with, play music on, find out what time movies are playing, and get traffic reports...but COULDN'T ROUTE PROPERLY TO A DESTINATION??? :?
  • I wouldn't assume that because about a dozen posters or so in this thread actually had a true routing issue that wouldn't be common to all pnd's that you will be one of them. The majority of posts are from the same handful of members. That doesn't mean that they don't have a valid problem, but I haven't seen evidence yet that all xx5 nuvis suffer from poor routing choices on a regular basis.
  • SL 0 Points
    I wouldn't assume that because about a dozen posters or so in this thread actually had a true routing issue that wouldn't be common to all pnd's that you will be one of them. The majority of posts are from the same handful of members. That doesn't mean that they don't have a valid problem, but I haven't seen evidence yet that all xx5 nuvis suffer from poor routing choices on a regular basis.
    Maybe not everyone is aware of this problem. I could not realize that if I haven't tried the routing in areas I am well aware of. I was trying to figure out how well the device will bui;d the route, how well will avoid certain roads. Trust me, it really failed the majority of the time.

On day I was driving in a local road and only had 4 miles left to get to my destinaion. I know there are sevral other local roads will lead me to my destination and know which one was it. So I did detour and deselected the current road I am on. I was expecting to turn right on the next coming street then left, which is the optimal, fastest and shortest choice. Instead, the 855 told me to make a U-turn then take right then another right and drive all the way down then another right. Obviously this is the worse path, slow and long roads. Highway wasn't involved in this routing, only local roads.

Another time when was a major accident on FWY 60, and while i was driving on 605 trying to take FWY10, which was dead traffic, I decided to pass 10 and take local roads and from there drive all local to get into my work. In every detour I kept deselecting FWY10, did 855 even listened to me? It kept giving me FWY 10 until I got to the point were no more detours was possible. In fact there were more roads, all locals, to take me to my work but the 855 never picked them. Even after avoiding highway in the setting the 855 kept taking me to the freeway.

The last on I had yesterday when I needed to drive for 2 miles. The choice was easy. Keep straight for 1 mile then make right, drive for another 1 mile and you are there. Instead, 855 made me make 2 right turns and one left turn, all with traffic light. Those are all delays since turns, specially left, cause delays and speed down.

I think latest Garmins, not sure about the old ones, neglect traffic lights. It always assumes there is no traffic light or the lights always green. It may also assume that turns are not delays and this could be one of the reasons why the routine is not efficient.

Those are only couple of examples that I faced out of 10s of others.
  • One possibility that comes to mind is that the issues mentioned here could be originating from the map data rather than the routing algorithm itself. I've noticed a very lengthy delay of the EU map update, almost 60 days later than expected. Could it be that Garmin has identified something within the map data that needs correction? I don't know, just guessing. Suppose it might be clearer when the next NA update is offered late December/January (supposedly).
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Have any of you updated your 2x5's to the latest 5.7 firmware? And if so, can you check one of the problem routes again?
  • metzb1 0 Points
    Now that I have had my 255 for a few weeks and had a chance to let it route me around town, I can confirm that it neglects traffic lights. Estimated arrival times are about 30% optimistic on a regular basis. My Quest was similar in that regard. Other than that, I like it. It is easy to use and routing seems pretty good so far. I haven't given it anything too complex to figure out yet, though, so we will see.
  • Have any of you updated your 2x5's to the latest 5.7 firmware? And if so, can you check one of the problem routes again?
    Yes running 5.7, and no change to the poor routing.
  • rbirk 0 Points
    I wish traffic lights were part of the algorithm. Seems to be the biggest culprit.
  • Hopefully Garmin have a new trick up their sleeves that will be revealed in the next few months to alleviate this problem.......
  • mmsstar 96 Points
    My 660 did some weird routing last week. I was In Dallas for a couple of days and was staying at the Hyatt at the airport. I had to go to Plano for the day to meet my rep. It was pretty much a straight shot east on 635 to the Central Expressway and north to Plano but the Nuvi seems to have decided I would enjoy getting off the freeway then getting right back on at a number of the exits. I was not paying verry close attention so I did get off (and right back on) the first time. After that I touched the green bar and looked at the route to see where I was really getting off and didn't fall for it again. While I knew of that feature I really had not used it but now I do! It wanted me to do the same thing on the way back but this time I knew I was going all the way to the airport and just let Jill keep saying "Michael, you goofed again" (Thank you TurboCC :lol: )

I have the City Navigator NT 2009 maps, It is set for Car/Motorcycle, I have the preferences set for faster time and only have Traffic and Toll roads set as avoidances. I have the lifetime Clear Channel Traffic but no alerts were showing at the time.

It did something like this before on a trip from Sacramento to Fresno. It took me down to Fresno on 99 just fine. On the way back It seemed like it wanted me to get off of 99 in Stockton and take the 5 the rest of the way back to Sacramento. I figured I took 99 down so it was going to be 99 back. I did not notice any traffic icon at the time then.

I have had it tell me to get off of the 405 in Southern California going from around Long Beach to San Diego but I don't think this was for the same reason because the traffic Icon was present at that time and it was showing delays on the 405. I figured it was wanting me to go over to the 5 but I also figured there would be delays on that too at that time of day and stuck to the 405.

I must have missed the setting for "Local Tour" :D in my 660 because that is what it seemed to want to do. Other than those instances I have not noticed anything else weird in the routing in the 16 months I have had it.
  • Pkarm 0 Points
    The wife and I were on vacation earlier this year and going through Alabama my Nuvi found a most interesting route. We usually dont' mind the back roads because we enjoy the scenery, but this one had me a bit worried. we had been on a state hwy and all of the sudden it wanted to turn, ok it was more of a side road but then that side road turned into a one lane road which eventually brought us to this bridge and eventually back to teh state hwy we had been on..

• xjack 0 Points
    Considering the routing experience I had I am not very surprised to see the lane you showed here! Godforbid if it was a damaged bridge or something and some driver goes along it...I know safety of the road is not part of the GPS but the point is still the same - Bad routing!
  • How can they not be aware of this???

Has anybody called them?

I really want to keep my 765T but not unless it routes at least as well as my SP 2610 !!!!

bob
  • I have a Garmin Nuvi 265T with software version 5.70. Along with version 2010.20 of the USA national maps I have version 2010.10 of the Portland, Oregon City Explorer maps installed. I have never, ever had any problems with bad routing. My GPS has always kept me on the freeway as much as possible. I've used my GPS in Idaho, Montana and in Yellowstone Nat'l Park, Wyoming. Not once has my Garmin ever taken me on some back road unless it's routing me around traffic. I've compared the routing to Telenav's AT&T Navigator software's routing and Telenav is much worse. When I was driving near Jantzen Beach mall and told it to take me home to the Gresham area during rush hour traffic, Telenav told me to go across the I-5 bridge up to Vancouver, Washington, then over to the Glen Jackson Bridge and back down to Portland, Oregon and out to Gresham. What a waste of time. It would have been faster to drive up Airport Way off of the freeway out to Gresham which is what my Garmin Nuvi 265T would normally recommend.

My Garmin came preinstalled with the 2009 maps released in the 4th quarter of 2009. The routing was no different then than it is now with the latest updates. Not sure why everyone else is having so many problems.
  • The wife and I were on vacation earlier this year and going through Alabama my Nuvi found a most interesting route. We usually dont' mind the back roads because we enjoy the scenery, but this one had me a bit worried. we had been on a state hwy and all of the sudden it wanted to turn, ok it was more of a side road but then that side road turned into a one lane road which eventually brought us to this bridge and eventually back to teh state hwy we had been on..
    I now set mine to avoid unpaved roads in avoidances. (Couldn't really tell if that road was unpaved in your image.) My Nuvi 255W does not seem to recognize how much slower it usually is to go on dirt roads that are often potholed and hard to drive at any speed. It will pick a way slower route that is a little bit shorter. I suspect that many umpaved roads just have a road type in the Nuvi database, that is not reflective of how slow you have to go relative to a paved highway if they are muddy or potholed or covered in too much gravel.

If I cannot get a route I need I may uncheck unpaved roads in avoidances, but otherwise leave it checked.

• I now set mine to avoid unpaved roads in avoidances. (Couldn't really tell if that road was unpaved in your image.)

If I cannot get a route I need I may uncheck unpaved roads in avoidances, but otherwise leave it checked.

Does the 765 have these settings?

bob
  • DonS 0 Points
    I too can attest to the poor route on the nuvi 755t and the problem started AFTER I updated the mapping right after I got the unit. I've only had mine a couple weeks but its obvious something is wrong with the mapping and/or routing software. My old 2610 streetpilot was far superior in its routing and it never would divert you off an interstate onto a state road. I life in north GA and every time I have to travel north on I-75 the nuvi wants to send me up state route 41 to East Ridge, TN -- a distance of 8 or 9 miles -- before it puts me onto I-75; route 41 is a winding, narrow, two lane road with a speed limit of 45-55. By contrast my old streetpilot would put me on I-75 just up the road from my house. There is no way the nuvi route is quicker.

This is a glitch of some sort that has to be built into the mapping software because if I map the route on the computer using the mapping software, it too takes me up route 41 to East Ridge before putting me on I-75 N.

If I take any kind of trip to a geographic place I am not familiar, you can be sure I will create my own routes and download them to the nuvi prior to going. Of course that will only solve part of the problem as there are numerous times when you need to plug in an address to go somewhere locally.
  • I too can attest to the poor route on the nuvi 755t and the problem started AFTER I updated the mapping right after I got the unit. I've only had mine a couple weeks but its obvious something is wrong with the mapping and/or routing software. My old 2610 streetpilot was far superior in its routing and it never would divert you off an interstate onto a state road. I life in north GA and every time I have to travel north on I-75 the nuvi wants to send me up state route 41 to East Ridge, TN -- a distance of 8 or 9 miles -- before it puts me onto I-75; route 41 is a winding, narrow, two lane road with a speed limit of 45-55. By contrast my old streetpilot would put me on I-75 just up the road from my house. There is no way the nuvi route is quicker.

This is a glitch of some sort that has to be built into the mapping software because if I map the route on the computer using the mapping software, it too takes me up route 41 to East Ridge before putting me on I-75 N.

If I take any kind of trip to a geographic place I am not familiar, you can be sure I will create my own routes and download them to the nuvi prior to going. Of course that will only solve part of the problem as there are numerous times when you need to plug in an address to go somewhere locally.
    Amen!

Long live the 2610 :)

I returned the 765 and am trying a Maggie 1475T

bob
  • DonS 0 Points
    Hi steelgtr, just a quick note about the nuvi routing problem (I realize you took yours back). As I indicated in a test I did from Atlanta to Knoxville, the nuvi and the mapping software both would take you off I-75 at Dalton, GA and put you back on at Cleveland, TN -- a distance of some 30 miles. However, I found if you changed the routing preferences on the Navtaq maps that came with the nuvi 755t and increased the preference for major highways, then the routing function on the mapping software did not divert you off the interstate, it kept you on I-75 all the way to Knoxville. Of course this still won't solve the problem if you create a route on the nuvi using the "where to" function. Nonetheless, if you create a custom route on the PC and download it to the unit, at least you know it won't take you unnecessarily off the interstate. Just thought I would let you know.
  • aslg 0 Points
    ...However, I found if you changed the routing preferences on the Navtaq maps that came with the nuvi 755t and increased the preference for major highways, then the routing function on the mapping software did not divert you off the interstate, it kept you on I-75 all the way to Knoxville. Of course this still won't solve the problem if you create a route on the nuvi using the "where to" function. Nonetheless, if you create a custom route on the PC and download it to the unit, at least you know it won't take you unnecessarily off the interstate. Just thought I would let you know.
    I had exactly the same problem in the route from Austin to San Antonio, TX.
    Is this really only related to the 7xx devices or common to the entire Garmin line? I find difficult to think that Garmin has different routing software for each device. There should be a base routing component common to all the entire line and then special extensions that take into account the differences in the hardware of the various models.
    I am wondering how difficult it would be for them to implement the same "prefer highways" option on the routing software of the device.
    Assuming that roads have no traffic lights or all traffic lights are green is the most stupid assumption that the designer of the routing software could have made.
  • Marc 301 Points
    The data is based on average speed, including lights. It may be incorrect, but lights are built into the algorithm. If you want to see what the average speed it is assuming for a section of road run the simulator and check the speed while it is navigating that section. Remember though, this is average speed over the whole day, not just at rush hour or 3 in the moring. The Nuvi isn't that sophisticated. For instance, on a section of road that I routinesly travel to work, that has a speed limit of 45, but everyone travels 55-60, and their are only a couple of lights, the simulator shows a speed of 52 miles/hour. However, as many have noted that as you travel the road, Nuvi, over time will adjust its average speed.

If you are looking for something more sophisticated I would look at TomTom'sIQ routes. Perhaps you would be happier.
  • rbirk 0 Points
    Marc, I highly doubt red lights are part of Garmin's algorithms. My 755T keep telling me to take routes with tons of red lights instead of the interstate. Without the lights, yes, the route would be faster as it is shorter and more direct. But with all the lights, the Garmin suggested route is lots of time 50% slower than taking the interstate.

I hope ONE DAY garmin will fix their data or please insert some red light info in it!
  • Marc 301 Points
    Run the simulator and see what the average speed is. There are two possibilities. Either the average speed is wrong, or the algorithm is picking a slower route, even though it has the correct average speed. Wouldn't it be nice to know which it is in your case?
  • alanb 539 Points
    This article explains the Garmin "learning" and simulation speed adjustment: http://www.gpsreview.net/train-your-nuvi-eta/
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I agree with Marc. We can't jump to conclusions and say that this is simply a traffic light issue because it commonly happens on roads with traffic lights. Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
  • aslg 0 Points
    This article explains the Garmin "learning" and simulation speed adjustment: http://www.gpsreview.net/train-your-nuvi-eta/
    The key is on the word "category":
    “We do learn from a driver’s habits and adjust the ETA accordingly. We do this by observing what speed a driver typically drives on each speed category of road and use that to compute ETA.”
    If for example, I go at 80 miles per hour on a specific country road, now all country roads will be considered faster than highways in the routing calculation. I hope this is not true otherwise this would another dumb assumption.
  • rbirk 0 Points
    Where do I find the simulator? Would be nice to know the answer, yes.
  • alanb 539 Points
    The part about the learning and ETA adjustment that I have not been convinced of is that the nuvi actually alters routes because of it. I guess to prove that you would have to show that different roads were calculated on a route before and after a hard reset for the same start point and destination using the same routing preferences.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    None of us indicated that routes are actually changed due to the learning algorithm of the nuvis. Quite the contrary, as we found no evidence that it does alter any routing.

And FWIW, I haven't seen any of the odd routing behavior on my 760 outside of what I would consider normal for any pnd I've had whether it's from Garmin, Magellan, Navigon or TomTom. The occasional odd route (or at least odd to me. Some I never drove and so can't say for a fact they were wrong) is common to them all.
  • aslg 0 Points
    edited November 2009
    The part about the learning and ETA adjustment that I have not been convinced of is that the nuvi actually alters routes because of it. I guess to prove that you would have to show that different roads were calculated on a route before and after a hard reset for the same start point and destination using the same routing preferences.
    Why shouldn't it alter route if I choose "Faster Time"?
    What would be the point in learning ETA? Knowing that there is a "faster" route but selecting a slower one? :D
    Do you find it logical?
  • alanb 539 Points
    I agree with you and the conclusions of the article completely gatorguy. I have not personally experienced the routing anomalies on my 755T that are discussed in this thread. I doubt that the learning and ETA adjustment are involved in the problem as some of the posts in this thread seem to imply.

Until Garmin includes real stats on specific road segments and day/time ranges in their routing algorithm (like TomTom does with IQ Routes), there will continue to be cases where generated routes are not optimal in the opinion of those who have local knowledge. That said, I am confident my nuvi will "get me there" and that is what matters most when I am in unfamiliar territory.
  • aslg 0 Points
    I agree with you and the conclusions of the article completely gatorguy. I have not personally experienced the routing anomalies on my 755T that are discussed in this thread...
    Until Garmin includes real stats on specific road segments and day/time ranges in their routing algorithm (like TomTom does with IQ Routes), there will continue to be cases where generated routes are not optimal in the opinion of those who have local knowledge. That said, I am confident my nuvi will "get me there" and that is what matters most when I am in unfamiliar territory.
    Lucky you. I experienced lots of them in the routes between Austin, San Antonio and Houston. Getting often out of a highway just to get back in it sometimes 1 mile, other times 10 miles ahead is more than an anomaly. It is a hard core error in the routing calculation.
    If all you care is just to get there, why are you interested in this thread?
  • alanb 539 Points
    I have seen some issues like the one you just described ... off the Interstate and right back on at the same or next exit ... near Atlanta. I ended up turning off all avoidance preferences, including traffic and U-turns and it quit doing that. It didn't make sense but in that particular case, it seemed like the traffic avoidance might be causing the problem just in a particular area.
  • aslg 0 Points
    I have seen some issues like the one you just described ... off the Interstate and right back on at the same or next exit ... near Atlanta. I ended up turning off all avoidance preferences, including traffic and U-turns and it quit doing that. It didn't make sense but in that particular case, it seemed like the traffic avoidance might be causing the problem just in a particular area.
    Not in my case.
    I have only one avoidance on my garmin 765t, avoid Unpaved Roads.
    In the most hilarious case where it tells me to exit the highway and reinter it at the next ramp, it does not avoid anything, it just adds one traffic light.
    And the hghway at that 1 mile is paved :)
  • Marc 301 Points
    Where do I find the simulator? Would be nice to know the answer, yes.
    I am doing this from memory, but it is in something like tools, settings. Then select simulator on. When you punch in a route it will then ask if you want to simulate it.

Others please correct the menu tree if I'm wrong.
  • DonS 0 Points
    I called Garmin and talked to one of the support tech's by the name of Mike. He was extremely courteous and tried to be helpful but could come up with no solution. He tried a simulated route using another nuvi (not eh 755t I have) and it did the same thing -- I didn't ask which specific model he was using. Then he went and got one of the newer nuvi's, this was one of those with four numbers to the model -- he said which one but I just didn't think about writing it down. Same problem. He then started generating routes using various version of the mapping software, including at least one or two older than the one mine uses (2010.20). If I recall he tried it using 2010.1 and a slightly earlier version of 2009. In all cases either the gps unit itself and/or the mapping software would divert you 33 miles on state roads rather than just keep you on I-75 like my old 2610 Streetpilot would. Ironically, when I later tested going Knoxville to Atlanta, it did not divert me off the interstate and the route called for staying on I-75 the entire way. It was only when going south to north did the problem arise. Which makes it even more odd. The Tech's name was Mike, and as I said he really tried to find out why the routing occurred like that but was unable to come up with a reasonable explanation or a fix. We were on the phone a good 40 or 45 minutes, so it was not like he was giving me the cookie cutter response. He said he would pass the information on to the engineers for whatever good that might do. It seems to me that who ever put the software together they simply didn't give sufficient weight (I'm sure the data has some sort of weighting scheme assigned to it) to major highways and interstates and thus any route which is shorter based on posted speed limits is given preference over other routes. What it doesn't take sufficiently into account is traffic, traffic lights, road congestion, and other factors found on state/secondary road ways. How easy it would be to write some new program to solve this issue and download to these units, I have no idea.
  • aslg 0 Points
    DonS,
    thanks for posting this.
    Very interesting!
    I was wondering if the problem was fixed on the new models but I did not think that Garmin had different routing software per model (it would be a mess to manage).
    I had the same problem with the 2009 maps and your post confirms my experience. This clearly indicates either a problem at the core of their routing software or flawed map data.
    I agree partially with your assessment. I think the problem is worst than you think.
    I configured my 765 for faster time routing. How is it possible that it tells me to exit a highway (70m/h speed limit), to go for 1 mile into an adjacent road (50m/h speed limit) with 1 traffic light and then it tells me to go back into the highway at the next ramp?
    Maybe the road is shorter for few feet (it is really adjacent to the highway!) but the speed limit is 20m/h lower!
  • aslg,

That makes me think I better stick with TomTom!

I have had no such issues on my 920T!
  • aslg 0 Points
    aslg,

That makes me think I better stick with TomTom!

I have had no such issues on my 920T!
    You are right.
    Do not hope Garmin will do something to fix this issue.
    I found this thread started in 2007, check the posts starting from the 5th.
    http://www.gpsmagazine.com/comments/000192.php#comments
    The title of the article looks like a joke :)
  • aslg 0 Points
    A practical example of the issue: from Austin to Corpus Christi the faster route is following I-35 S and then I-37 S.
    Garmin instead, after a common section on the I-35S, forces you on small roads like TX-123, US-181 and US-77.
    The result is a route that takes 1 hour and half longer than the correct route. This if you are lucky!

Garmin's wrong route is 199 miles long and takes 4 hours and 48 minutes. By comparison, on Google maps the correct route is 217 miles long and takes 3 hours and 25 mins.

I also followed Marc's recommendation and I checked the speed time of the simulator on US 181.
    The speed limit on this road varies from 45 to 70 mph. My speed varied from 46 to 68 mph accordingly.
    I tried on I-37 where the speed limit is 70 mph and my speed limit was always 68 mph.
  • Too bad they don't read the forums!

Most common folks that buy GPS units these days are happy just to get there and if in a strange area, don't know the difference.

I really hated having to ditch Garmin but.........

bob
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Too bad they don't read the forums!
    There is a certain irony that a little while back in this thread we were discussing that they do read these forums. :)
  • aslg 0 Points

Most common folks that buy GPS units these days are happy just to get there and if in a strange area, don't know the difference.

I really hated having to ditch Garmin but.........

bob
    Thinking about the same...
    Adding 5 minutes to 10 minutes route is not a big deal, but adding 1 hour and half to a three hours route is unforgivable.
    I will sell my 765T (is anyone of the garmin lovers in this thread interested in? :lol:)
    I am thinking about a Tom Tom 930 (I often go to Europe). Is there a way to test online its routing capabilities?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I am thinking about a Tom Tom 930 (I often go to Europe). Is there a way to test online its routing capabilities?
    Not 100%.... but you can get real close by playing with TomTom's Online Route Planner. (http://routes.tomtom.com)
  • aslg 0 Points

There is a certain irony that a little while back in this thread we were discussing that they do read these forums. :)
    If you google around you can find posts similar to the ones in this thread starting from 2007. Based on that I would say that Garmin cannot care less.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    If you google around you can find posts similar to the ones in this thread starting from 2007. Based on that I would say that Garmin cannot care less.
    I wasn't making any statement in that regard. I was just pointing out that it was assumed that Garmin doesn't read these forums and saying that I can confirm they do. What they do with the info is another matter. :)
  • aslg 0 Points

Not 100%.... but you can get real close by playing with TomTom's Online Route Planner. (
    Tim, thanks a lot!!!

I did the Austin->Corpus Christi test and I got the right route!
    By the way, the Tom Tom route is the same I get from Google Maps and MapQuest. Only Garmin screws up so badly!

How they can ignore something of this magnitude (a 50% additional time over the real fastest route) is a mystery to me!
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I just requested a route from city center to city center, Austin to Corpus Christi, on both my Garmin 760 and TomTom 740. The result? Estimated travel time from my TomTom was 3:21 and 218 miles. The nuvi? 3:22 and 201 miles. No forced routes and nothing fancy. Not sure why you are getting something different if you are. In looking at each of the routes, nothing stands out as being an obvious bad choice. Without actually driving each, there's no way to positively check one against the other.
  • I am thinking about a Tom Tom 930 (I often go to Europe). Is there a way to test online its routing capabilities?

Not 100%.... but you can get real close by playing with TomTom's Online Route Planner. (
    I just tried a route there and it does the best mostly freewy/fastest that I would take. Too bad my TomTom 130 doesn't do that route!

bob
  • madurodave 0 Points
    edited November 2009

So Tim are there any places you know of that have the 930 for a lower price?

TomTom has it for $399 on their site and I see a lot of refurbs on other sites. I heard the refurbs can have old map issues?