This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Why does the Nuvi keep trying to take me on back roads?

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    just tried a route there and it does the best mostly freewy/fastest that I would take. Too bad my TomTom 130 doesn't do that route!
    It should mimic devices that have IQ Routes, but it also adds in live traffic data.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited November 2009
    I just requested a route from city center to city center, Austin to Corpus Christi, on both my Garmin 760 and TomTom 740. The result? Estimated travel time from my TomTom was 3:21 and 218 miles. The nuvi? 3:22 and 201 miles. No forced routes and nothing fancy. Not sure why you are getting something different if you are. In looking at each of the routes, nothing stands out as being an obvious bad choice. Without actually driving each, there's no way to positively check one against the other.
    I think what he is saying is that the TomTom keeps you on the Interstates by taking a more westerly route by San Antonio. The Garmin heads more strait south on non-Interstate roads. I would have to agree with aslg that Garmin's route is pretty lame and would need to be modified with a via. It is almost like it is using the "shortest" preference instead of "fastest". But I checked and I clearly have it set on fastest.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    So Tim are there any places you know of that have the 930 for a lower price?
    You can try bizrate which lists a few...
  • just tried a route there and it does the best mostly freewy/fastest that I would take. Too bad my TomTom 130 doesn't do that route!

It should mimic devices that have
    IQ Routes, but it also adds in live traffic data.
    Oh yeah,

Forgot about IQ :)

bob
  • aslg 0 Points
    I just requested a route from city center to city center, Austin to Corpus Christi, on both my Garmin 760 and TomTom 740. The result? Estimated travel time from my TomTom was 3:21 and 218 miles. The nuvi? 3:22 and 201 miles. No forced routes and nothing fancy. Not sure why you are getting something different if you are. In looking at each of the routes, nothing stands out as being an obvious bad choice. Without actually driving each, there's no way to positively check one against the other.
    Gatorguy,
    Garmin's ETT is obviously garbage and your insistence is a little suspicious.
    Somebody in this thread thought that Garmin looks in this thread. Is that you? :)
    The only accurate ETTs come from Tom Tom, MapQuest and Google Maps.

Anyone can try this test:

• Go to www.navteq.com (I just found that I get there the same route I get from my 765) and get the Austin-Corpus Christi route, write down the ETT.

• Go to Google Maps and get the recommended route, write down the ETT.

• Now morph the Google Maps route into the Navteq/Garmin route and write down the ETT.

Compare the last ETT with the first ETT. Are they the same? No, there is a big difference.
    Who is right? GoogleMap is right, Navteq/Garmin is WRONG.
    How do I know it is wrong? I experienced the difference on my skin.
    While you are in Google Maps, check the quality of the Garmin's recommended roads in satellite mode :)

Waiting for you to say that only Navteq/Garmin gets it right while all the others are wrong :)
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Not saying that either is right or wrong. Just posting the facts from inputting the destinations on both TomTom and Garmin. FWIW, I've had a few "feelings" that a route wasn't proper on one of my devices on occasion. Sometimes my "feeling" was right when I actually drove the route. Sometimes it was wrong. And other times it was really a toss-up, just coming down to the type of roads I wanted to drive but no practical time difference. Unless you can prove that I can't drive to Corpus Christi in the time that my nuvi computed, or that the TomTom computed route is 10% + faster as you think, it's still comes down to a "feeling" you have and no real evidence that my 760 computed a poor route.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I'm going to try and ID when and where the routing issues started by getting my hands on a newer/updated xx5. I already have access to my old 255 purchased a month or so after they were first released. It's map has never been updated and it still (I think) has it's original firmware. My 760 has the latest maps and pretty recent application. Once I get an updated xx5 I can compare routes on all three.

@alsg: I'm not dismissing your belief that you have routing issues, and they may be completely valid. It's just that I'm not seeing the same kind of problems with my nuvi as you are with yours. Hopefully I can get what I need to start checking fairly quickly.
  • aslg 0 Points
    Gatorguy,
    I am bringing real scenarios, tests, and data to the discussion.
    I did not see anything like this from your side.
    Looking back to your posts it looks like your only interest in this discussion is to confuse people into thinking that there is no routing problem in the Garmin line of products. I find this suspicious. Can you assure everyone that you do not have any financial interest in the Garmin devices?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    edited November 2009
    Yes. :)

No financial incentives at all. FWIW, I used your exact Austin to Corpus Christie problem. Where did I make a misstatement? The nuvi computed route was 17 miles shorter but one minute longer than the one arrived at by my Tomtom according to device estimates. Certainly no attempt to be confusing.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Can you assure everyone that you do not have any financial interest in the Garmin devices?
    I can.
  • So Tim are there any places you know of that have the 930 for a lower price?

You can try
    bizrate which lists a few...
    I tried that but keep seeing Radio Shack with refurbs only.
  • mvl 191 Points
    edited November 2009
    I recommend posting this question on the Tomtom GO forum:
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/categories/9/

People like me don't check in the Nuvi forums too often, and there are a few of us in the Tomtom forums who may have good ideas.

1) The 920 and 930 are nearly identical, you'll find a 920 much cheaper.
    2) Try the link below for good prices

http://www.google.com/products?q=tomtom+920
  • aslg 0 Points
    edited November 2009
    Yes. :)

No financial incentives at all. FWIW, I used your exact Austin to Corpus Christie problem. Where did I make a misstatement? The nuvi computed route was 17 miles shorter but one minute longer than the one arrived at by my Tomtom according to device estimates. Certainly no attempt to be confusing.
    Thanks. I feel more comfortable discussing with you now.
    The point made by several people in this thread is that certain garmin's routes are slower than the optimal and this leads to an effective travel time longer than the estimated travel time.

Your refusal using the estimated travel time given by the garmin device is obviously misleading. If Garmin says so, it must be true! :) It is like I and others are giving you proof that a person is crazy and you answer, "I asked him and he said he is not" :)

What counts here is the effective travel time not the estimated one. We already now that the latter is wrong in several cases.
  • aslg 0 Points
    Can you assure everyone that you do not have any financial interest in the Garmin devices?

I can.
    I know: you have been too fast posting the Tom Tom route planning web site :)
  • aslg 0 Points

I recommend posting this question on the Tomtom GO forum:
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/categories/9/

People like me don't check in the Nuvi forums too often, and there are a few of us in the Tomtom forums who may have good ideas.

1) The 920 and 930 are nearly identical, you'll find a 920 much cheaper.
    2) Try the like below for good prices

http://www.google.com/products?q=tomtom+920
    The 930 has also the Europe maps. Buying the 920 and separately the Europe maps could be more expensive than buying the 930.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    What counts here is the effective travel time not the estimated one. We already now that the latter is wrong in several cases.
    Agreed. But since nobody has put forth the actual driving time of the route the Nuvi suggests, we're just substituting one assumption for another.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Buying the 920 and separately the Europe maps could be more expensive than buying the 930.
    The 920 comes with Europe maps so you wouldn't need to purchase them separately.
  • aslg 0 Points

Agreed. But since nobody has put forth the actual driving time of the route the Nuvi suggests, we're just substituting one assumption for another.
    I did it in the previous page, a difference of ~ 1 hour and half going on the Garmin's recommended route vs. Google Maps recommended route.
    How do you explain the differences between the Garmin's route and the GoogleMaps/MapQuest/TomTom route?
    Do you know if the last three arrive to the same conclusion because they use same routing software, same maps and same speed data, or do they independently arrive to the same conclusion?
  • aslg 0 Points
    Buying the 920 and separately the Europe maps could be more expensive than buying the 930.

The 920 comes with Europe maps so you wouldn't need to purchase them separately.
    Thanks.
    Is the 920 the model preceding the 930?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I did it in the previous page
    I must have missed it, and I still don't see it, so can you post again the actual amount of time it took you to drive the route the Garmin suggested?
    Do you know if the last three arrive to the same conclusion because they use same routing software, same maps and same speed data, or do they independently arrive to the same conclusion?
    Google Maps uses their own maps based on government sources blended with their own data. MapQuest uses Navteq maps (mostly). TomTom uses Tele Atlas maps. However even using the same maps different routing software can reach different conclusions based on their interpretation of the data.
    Is the 920 the model preceding the 930?
    Yes. You can purchase a 920, update the software, and have something identical to the 930. You can do the same with the 720 -> 730. So if you are willing to run the software updates and get the (free) map update then there is isn't any reason to purchase the x30 over the x20. Many want everything to work right out of the box though and would opt for the x30, and the x20 devices are becoming more scarce.
  • Is the 920 the model preceding the 930?

Yes. You can purchase a 920, update the software, and have something identical to the 930. You can do the same with the 720 -> 730. So if you are willing to run the software updates and get the (free) map update then there is isn't any reason to purchase the x30 over the x20. Many want everything to work right out of the box though and would opt for the x30, and the x20 devices are becoming more scarce.
    Do you see any issues with refurb units versus new? I saw new for about $400 and up, with refurbs in the $250 range.
  • aslg 0 Points
    Garmin's recommended route: AUSTIN-CORPUS CHRISTI, TX (I-35, TX-123, US 181, I-37)

Effective Travel Time: ~4:30
    Garmin ETA: 3:05
    GoogleMaps ETA: 4:45
    MapQuest ETA: 3:34
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The TomTom refurbs don't always qualify for the latest map guarantee, and what some stores have been passing off as refurbs recently have been questionable as qualifying for that status. I generally love purchasing refurb electronics and saving a little cash, but some of the refurbs I've seen recently are swaying my opinion slightly.
  • aslg 0 Points
    I am trying to get the TomTom ETA on that route but I cannot find a way to force it generating the Garmin's route.
  • The TomTom refurbs don't always qualify for the latest map guarantee, and what some stores have been passing off as refurbs recently have been questionable as qualifying for that status. I generally love purchasing refurb electronics and saving a little cash, but some of the refurbs I've seen recently are swaying my opinion slightly.
    Looks like my options are getting less and less!
  • mvl 191 Points
    Garmin's recommended route: AUSTIN-CORPUS CHRISTI, TX (I-35, TX-123, US 181, I-37)

Effective Travel Time: ~4:30
    Garmin ETA: 3:05
    GoogleMaps ETA: 4:45
    MapQuest ETA: 3:34
    Tomtom ETA (using routes.tomtom.com): 3:21
    Note that this is in the early hours of the morning. Since IQroutes is time-sensitive, this ETA will be longer (and Tomtom will pick a different route) if you plan the route during rush hour.

Garmin routing may be even more unpredictable since it "learns". Nuvis don't really store drive speeds on their maps, they store road classes. As you drive more and more, the Nuvi learns which speeds to assign to each road class.

This may be why routing is completely messed up for new Nuvi owners, or new map purchasers, while gatorguy has no issues. Gatorguy has been on the same garmin map for a while, and so it has been properly trained on the appropriate speeds to use for routing and ETA.

I have the same issue with my speed-learning Honda/Alpine nav system. After a new map, routing stinks for the first 1-2 months until it properly learns all the road speeds.
  • Marc 301 Points
    Interesting stuff MVL-where can I get more info about various road classes? I am wondering how fine Garmin breaks them up.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Hopefully gator can elaborate, he has far more knowledge about nuvis than I do.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Into 7 classes I believe. But it won't affect route choices, only route ETA. :)

As mentioned by Tim, many of the posts in this thread are using assumptions. "The route looks like it's bad"," the route uses roads I wouldn't use", "I'm pretty sure you can't drive there that fast", etc. I have no doubts that some of the routes that some nuvis are choosing are problematic. That's why I want to get hold of one more nuvi to do some checking. But a gut feeling that any particular route is wrong is still an assumption. Without actually driving the computed route, it's at best an educated guess. Can I drive from Austin to Corpus Christi following my 760's route in 3 hours and 22 minutes? I don't know. Unless you actually drove it, you don't know either.

And honestly, that particular Texas route isn't the real issue anyway. (My guess? I could drive it in 3:22). There's too many posts concerning other routes with more solid evidence that something's not right with certain nuvi's, or certain maps or combinations of certain firmware/maps/models to simply dismiss complaints. There is something afoot. But where or how? I don't know. I'd like to find out tho.
  • Marc 301 Points
    Into 7 classes I believe. But it won't affect route choices, only route ETA. :)

You say just enough to make this more perplexing. If they don't have speeds of various roads, but only classes, then how do they determine "optimal routes' without using that information?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    If they don't have speeds of various roads, but only classes, then how do they determine "optimal routes' without using that information?
    Each classification is given a speed estimate. The subtle difference being that one piece of software could assign a particular classification one speed, while another piece of software might use a different speed.
  • aslg 0 Points
    Can I drive from Austin to Corpus Christi following my 760's route in 3 hours and 22 minutes? I don't know. Unless you actually drove it, you don't know either.
    And honestly, that particular Texas route isn't the real issue anyway. (My guess? I could drive it in 3:22).
    I bet you can at 1 AM and/or dangerously passing cars or ignoring red lights but doing this kind of things in Texas is not recommended :)
  • Marc 301 Points
    Since speeds are estimated based on classification I understand Gator's comment even less. The way I am reading this, it seems that fastest routes are based on estimated speed which is a direct assignment from the road classification. So unless I am totally misinterpreting something, fastest route determination is directly related to road classification. So how can the statement "Into 7 classes I believe, but it won't affect route choices" be correct?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Into 7 classes I believe.
    Have a look at the cgpsmapper manual here:

http://cgpsmapper.com/download/cGPSmapper-UsrMan-v02.5.pdf

If you're really interested in routing (personally I'm not), the section begins on page 51. Now cgpsmapper is a third party garmin-compatible map compiler which was created through reverse engineering since Garmin's format is closed. However, this might be of interest:

5.4 Road class

The main attribute for routing calculation – as it has been mentioned already – is road class
    attribute. On one hand it is important to prepare data with non broken road network keeping
    specific road class, on the other hand it is important to keep well balanced percentage of
    roads with highest versus other road class roads.
    In ideal situation – for usual mixed area (with city and rural areas) – percentage of roads
    with specific road class should be:

Road Approximate number of
    class roads
    --------------------------------------
    4 0.5% - 1.5%
    3 1% - 3%
    2 4% - 7%
    1 10%-20%
    0 60%-80%

Road Class attribute is used as a main indicator for ‘fastest route’ calculation

5.5 Speed attribute

Second in importance of attributes used for routing calculation is speed attribute – which is
    used for ‘fastest route’ calculation.

Speed
    class Speed attribute Comment
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    7 128 km/h
    6 108 km/h Can be adjusted in MapSource
    5 93 km/h Can be adjusted in MapSource
    4 72 km/h Can be adjusted in MapSource
    3 56 km/h Can be adjusted in MapSource
    2 40 km/h
    1 20 km/h
    0 8 km/h Ferry

This attribute is independent of the route class attribute.
  • Marc 301 Points
    edited November 2009
    More and more interesting. Thank you Boyd. So there are two independent classifications, road and speed and road is the primary, but not only thing used to determine route. So what makes a road various classes if it is not speed? For instance are limited access roads class 1? etc.

Also, is that manual available somewhere? I'd be interested in taking a look at it. For nerdy engineers like me the routing problem is very interesting.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    So how can the statement "Into 7 classes I believe, but it won't affect route choices" be correct?
    I think that he was only referring to the differences from the Nuvi "learning" your driving habits. Those adjustments to ETA based on your driving history won't change the route picked, just the ETA. So take this for example... just making up the data:

Nuvi picks a route from point A to B along a single stretch of one road covering one mile. The classification is "B" to which the Nuvi typically assigns a speed of 60 mph. So the ETA would typically be 1 minute. But the "learning" mechanism sees you typically drive only 30 mph on road classification "B", so the ETA is adjusted (after the route is created) to 2 minutes.

Again-- I'm just making up the classifications and data to illustrate/exaggerate the point.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    If you really want to dig into the guts of route calculation, check out this Introduction to Route Calculation from Navteq a couple of years ago. Keep in mind it is just an introduction, the real deal is much more complicated. :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Also, is that manual available somewhere? I'd be interested in taking a look at it.
    Yes... I posted a link to the manual in PDF format above. :D You can also download the freeware version of the program and play around. I am not clear as to whether it has full support for routing though, since it's not something I've used.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I think that he was only referring to the differences from the Nuvi "learning" your driving habits.
    Maybe I am ASSuming too much here, but notice how speed classes 3-6 "can be adjusted in Mapsource". I'm guessing that these are also the classes for which the Nuvi "learns" your typical speeds.

How can you adjust the speed attributes in Mapsource? Didn't know that was possible.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    FWIW, it's very rare for my ETA's to be off by more 5%. Barring an accident, construction or something unforseen, my ETA's are generally spot on. So yes, I'm pretty confident I could safely drive that route during the day and arrive within 10 minutes of the computed ETA. BTW, the ETA arrived at by my nuvi and via Mapquest or Google would be expected different. Mapquest/Google has no idea how I drive. :)

But ETA's aren't the real issue in this thread anyway. The odd occasional detouring off a major highway onto a side road or exit for a short distance, only to be routed right back onto that major highway is what concerns me. Some of those posted "detours" make no sense and have no ready explanation. Something as simple as the miscoding of a single road classification could be the cause. Perhaps there is a route algorythm change from the 7x0's to the 7x5's. Perhaps it's a specific map. That's what I'd love to get to the bottom of. Arguing about whether one route looks like it's better than another has been going on for years on every model line from every pnd manufacturer, and nearly always just educated guesses, seldom actually driven. Every device produces questionable routes from time to time. But some of the issues in this thread appear to be new. They've really never come up until the past few months, coinciding with revised maps and a new xx5 model line. I'd be more interested in whether an older 750 nuvi and a new 755 will produce the same route with all other things being equal (traffic reporting, avoidances, map version, etc). And if not, why not. Or if they do, why do some users have a different experience with their nuvi. Serious routing complaints from a Garmin were not common until very recently. And still little mention anywhere else other than this thread.
  • aslg 0 Points
    If you really want to dig into the guts of route calculation, check out this Introduction to Route Calculation from Navteq a couple of years ago. Keep in mind it is just an introduction, the real deal is much more complicated. :)
    Thanks, Tim.

On page 7: Making the ‘Best’ Route
    The speed category is a range of speed (say, between 71 and 90 km/h) in which a road vehicle would normally expect to achieve as an average when travelling down that link. This vital information, combined with the length of the link as derived from the link’s coordinates, provides the time to traverse the link without congestion. This is used in the route calculation algorithm’s cost function when the user selects the ‘fastest’ option.
    WITHOUT CONGESTION! Is not this the reason for all the Garmin routing issues posted in this thread? Finding the faster route has a lot to do with congestion. Removing congestion from the picture leads to all these erratic behaviors in the routing calculation.
    Statistically what is the probability that I can move faster on a five lane highway vs. a 1 lane small road with traffic lights of the same or lightly shorter length?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    When they say "without congestion" they are talking about unusually heavy traffic, or delays caused by accidents, construction or other unforseen events. Statistically, traffic lights are accounted for.
  • aslg 0 Points
    When they say "without congestion" they are talking about unusually heavy traffic, or delays caused by accidents, construction or other unforseen events. Statistically, traffic lights are accounted for.
    I am sorry but I do not believe in this. Can you post any document that can substantiate your statement?
  • aslg 0 Points

The odd occasional detouring off a major highway onto a side road or exit for a short distance, only to be routed right back onto that major highway is what concerns me. Some of those posted "detours" make no sense and have no ready explanation...
    I have experienced these shorter detours several times.
    I maybe wrong but I do not see the austin-corpus-christi anomaly as a different problem but just a longer detour.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Finding the faster route has a lot to do with congestion.
    True, which is what live traffic receivers are for. Otherwise, "[a] vehicle would normally expect to achieve as an average" applies which in determining classification will take into consideration lights, lanes, etc.
  • aslg 0 Points
    edited November 2009

Maybe I am ASSuming too much here, but notice how speed classes 3-6 "can be adjusted in Mapsource". I'm guessing that these are also the classes for which the Nuvi "learns" your typical speeds.

How can you adjust the speed attributes in Mapsource? Didn't know that was possible.
    Can I just see what the classes of each segment are in Mapsource? I am very interested to see what they are in the bad Austin-Corpus Christi route.
  • Finally someone is more interested in routing than time or speed. IMO the reason you are only hearing of this problem to any extent in this forum and not others is because this forum deals mostly with NA and our mapping. And other users are becoming fed up with the inability of Garmin to correct the problems we are experiencing.

In June when we left PHX for Ft. Hood, TX I planned out the route on my new Garmin 765T which had maps 2009 on board. It took me on the EXACT route I planned. (round trip) Which included interstates and secondary roads. Found places to eat at EXACTLY where it said they were and places to sleep EXACTLY where I wanted to rest. NOT one problem... until I got back a week later, plugged in the 765T and POP there was an update waiting and as a good Garmin servant I updated. Since that time the routing has not been right.

I traded out for another 765T since Best Buy and myself thought there was something wrong with it. Still not right. Went to the best TomTom at the time and that was a nightmare. (Not routing, just hard to work with) Took it back and got another new 765T. I now have the latest maps and firmware updates installed. Still nothing is right.

Like others the unit tells me to get off at one exit and get back on at another. Why? I am already on the interstate why get off it? Known roads that used to guide me around are not there now in the new maps

I had a 760 which I did NOT update the maps, just the firmware, after I saw the fiasco the 765T was going through. Even the routing on it was screwing up. Which it worked good before the updates in June. (I wanted the 765T for the trip to TX since it had traffic and lane assist exits available) Don't see how that could happen but it does.

As far as locally? My house number was exactly where it said I was in both Garmin's before the update in June. After June my house address was down the street. My driveway is through a block wall and my car sets in my swimming pool. Known routes to my work was directing me off exits and onto streets that took me a couple of miles out of route when all I had to do was go to the next exit in about 1/2 a mile and go maybe 900 feet to my work place.

When talking with Garmin tech support... their solution... "what's the problem you are getting to your destination aren't you?" I asked if I was taking a trip and trying to find some spot in another large city miles away how would I know if the place would be where I asked for? Their comment was "if the unit gets you into the general vicinity then you can find the spot you want with your eyes.. what's the big deal anyway?"

Now if I want a spot where I have never been before I consult Google or Bing maps on my computer or phone to see what the correct route is and then use the 765T as backup.

I have spent hundreds of dollars for GPS devices from a once reputable company that is not correct. Now I depend upon a couple of FREE mapping applications to guide my way. And the FREE ones are right on the spot!!

Crazy huh?
  • aslg 0 Points
    edited November 2009
    Finding the faster route has a lot to do with congestion.

True, which is what live traffic receivers are for. Otherwise,
    "[a] vehicle would normally expect to achieve as an average" applies which in determining classification will take into consideration lights, lanes, etc.
    Tim, I agree but with a big exception!
    Traffic info is available only for major roads. When Garmin drives you off a highway (where traffic info is available) for a minor road (where traffic info is not available) can make a lightly bad situation much worst. I got the impression that some of these road classifications are too optimistic :) Is there a way to see what they are in our maps?
  • Nice post, Larry

So what would be a "good" Garmin?

760 with xxxx firmware?

thx

bob
    Finally someone is more interested in routing than time or speed. IMO the reason you are only hearing of this problem to any extent in this forum and not others is because this forum deals mostly with NA and our mapping. And other users are becoming fed up with the inability of Garmin to correct the problems we are experiencing.

In June when we left PHX for Ft. Hood, TX I planned out the route on my new Garmin 765T which had maps 2009 on board. It took me on the EXACT route I planned. (round trip) Which included interstates and secondary roads. Found places to eat at EXACTLY where it said they were and places to sleep EXACTLY where I wanted to rest. NOT one problem... until I got back a week later, plugged in the 765T and POP there was an update waiting and as a good Garmin servant I updated. Since that time the routing has not been right.

I traded out for another 765T since Best Buy and myself thought there was something wrong with it. Still not right. Went to the best TomTom at the time and that was a nightmare. (Not routing, just hard to work with) Took it back and got another new 765T. I now have the latest maps and firmware updates installed. Still nothing is right.

Like others the unit tells me to get off at one exit and get back on at another. Why? I am already on the interstate why get off it? Known roads that used to guide me around are not there now in the new maps

I had a 760 which I did NOT update the maps, just the firmware, after I saw the fiasco the 765T was going through. Even the routing on it was screwing up. Which it worked good before the updates in June. (I wanted the 765T for the trip to TX since it had traffic and lane assist exits available) Don't see how that could happen but it does.

As far as locally? My house number was exactly where it said I was in both Garmin's before the update in June. After June my house address was down the street. My driveway is through a block wall and my car sets in my swimming pool. Known routes to my work was directing me off exits and onto streets that took me a couple of miles out of route when all I had to do was go to the next exit in about 1/2 a mile and go maybe 900 feet to my work place.

When talking with Garmin tech support... their solution... "what's the problem you are getting to your destination aren't you?" I asked if I was taking a trip and trying to find some spot in another large city miles away how would I know if the place would be where I asked for? Their comment was "if the unit gets you into the general vicinity then you can find the spot you want with your eyes.. what's the big deal anyway?"

Now if I want a spot where I have never been before I consult Google or Bing maps on my computer or phone to see what the correct route is and then use the 765T as backup.

I have spent hundreds of dollars for GPS devices from a once reputable company that is not correct. Now I depend upon a couple of FREE mapping applications to guide my way. And the FREE ones are right on the spot!!

Crazy huh?
  • aslg 0 Points
    Resetting your nuvi after an application or map update usually seems to correct some of these odd behaviors. Quite a few posters have mentioned their "issue" going away afterwards.
    Does resetting the nuvi clear the favorites? I have lots of them that I do not want to loose.