The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

My 855 was already registered ....

Went to Garmins website to register my GPS and download the 2010 maps, and it says that my serial number was already registered.

I guess that means that Costco sent me either a refurbished or a returned unit. Question: is it worth it contacting Garmin about this, and try to get the update, or should I just return it?

Thanks everybody!

Comments

• mmsstar 0 Points
    You can do either. If you contact Garmin and send them a copy of the receipt they will fix you up. You will be able to register, get the warranty and a map upgrade within 60 days.
  • Taconuvi 0 Points
    Thanks for the reply!

Sending the receipt? I think returning the unit and getting a new one sounds easier. They should not send refurbished units to retailers as new. I doubt that it was just a return, as everything in the package was in factory new condition (all cables in sealed bags, etc.), and the nuvi started with the setup screen.

I am not very happy about this ....

BTW, I got the serial number from under the battery. It looks like 01101XXX. Is that the correct serial number? I am asking because there are several numbers, and none says "SN" or something like that.
    And when I put in my serial number at https://my.garmin.com/maps/nuMaps.htm it says the following:
    "The following updates are available for your NavTalk Pilot GPS Phone:"

Weird, isn't it? My 855 is a "NavTalk Pilot GPS Phone"???? :?
  • dc9mm2 0 Points
    Make sure you are putting the right number in to register. Its the one right under the bar code. When i went to register a 850 i put the wrong number in and it said it was allready register. I called Garmin and they explained its the number right under the bar code in the battery compartment.
  • Taconuvi 0 Points
    edited June 2009
    Thanks, dc!
    That is a different number. I'll try ....

UPDATE: Yes, it worked. I got the 4.6 software upgrade as well this way ....
    I assumed that since the website accepted the other number as serial number, that this was the correct number. The should label the correct one as S/N!

Thanks again, dc!
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    I'd return it if you get the same result when trying the new number. You paid for a NEW unit and obviously you've gotten one that someone has used before.
  • Boyd 1302 Points
    Entering the model number instead of the serial number is a very common problem - I did it myself too! :D
  • where2 0 Points
    Entering the model number instead of the serial number is a very common problem - I did it myself too! :D
    Apparently it's happened at least once wrt the 855, since the OP got a response indicating that the SN (model#) had already been registered! Too bad Garmin's registration process can't distinguish b/t a model # and a serial #!!! :?
  • Taconuvi 0 Points
    It appears that the model # of the 855 corresponds to (or can be the same as) the serial number of a NavTalk Pilot GPS Phone. At least that's what the system thought I had.

It would be easy for them to just label the correct serial number with an S/N in front. Or, when you click "where do I find my serial number", they could include a picture, or the format, or just say it's right under the bar code instead of just saying "behind the battery". I bet they could avoid a lot of customer support calls, or even returned units. I was about to return mine, as it showed as already registered, if it would not have been for this forum.
  • Boyd 1302 Points
    They should do a better job distinguishing the number. Taco is correct. The system also gives an erroneous responses about units already being registered.
  • ifse 0 Points
    The "About" screen contains a unique unit ID number. Couldn't they add the serial number to that screen?

Unless the serial number is not determined yet when the unit ID is entered - I hate having the serial number printed on a sticker. The sticker on mine is peeling off.

Also, I don't understand why there need to be both a unit ID and a serial number.
  • where2 0 Points
    I hate having the serial number printed on a sticker. The sticker on mine is peeling off.
    The serial number of my 855 is also printed on a tiny sticker on the outside of the Garmin box. This allows access to the S/N without turning off the unit and pulling the battery.

(only useful if you still have access to the box!)
  • dc9mm2 0 Points
    Just so its easyer for new owners of a 855 here is a picture were i circled the number you use to register a nuvi 855. I blurred the number as i dont want my number on the web.