This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Tom Tom Traffic Choices ?

gber 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
I am confused about all the traffic services that TT offers based on the device. This question is for US services.

Assume the following devices are used: TT Go 740, TT Go 730, TT Go 720.

What are the traffic service option ( Live or Plus Traffic) , how are they delivered ( bluetooth, or RDS-TMC Receiver) and who supplies the traffic data (Trafficast or Inrix)?

Comments

• mvl 191 Points
    740 - LIVE or RDS-TMC
    730/720 - PLUS or RDS-TMC

Much of the vendor information is based on non-disclosure-agreement contracts. The vendors below are our best guesses.

LIVE - Trafficcast earlier. Inrix soon. Unclear if Inrix will be in addition to Trafficcast or Instead of Trafficcast.

PLUS - Inrix

RDS-TMC - ClearChannel (note: Inrix says it includes ClearChannel data)
  • gber 0 Points
    740 - LIVE or RDS-TMC
    730/720 - PLUS or RDS-TMC

Much of the vendor information is based on non-disclosure-agreement contracts. The vendors below are our best guesses.

LIVE - Trafficcast earlier. Inrix soon. Unclear if Inrix will be in addition to Trafficcast or Instead of Trafficcast.

PLUS - Inrix

RDS-TMC - ClearChannel (note: Inrix says it includes ClearChannel data)
    Hi MVL

Thank you for the info.
    On the Go 730 or the Go 720, How is Plus delivered? Is it via bluetooth? Would you say the Plus service data is more comprehensive than RDS-TMC?
    Also, I live in the Portland, Maine area and my understanding is that Inrix covers this area while TrafficCast and ClearChannel does not. Is that your understanding? It still unclear to me the coverage area of Inrix vs TrafficCast vs ClearChannel.
    Anyway, I appreciate any additional info you can provide.

Gary
  • mvl 191 Points
    PLUS traffic requires a compatible bluetooth phone and a data plan from your cellphone company. Beware that Tomtom's bluetooth compatibility is not that good for American phone models.

LIVE traffic uses the 740's built in connectivity, and RDS-TMC requires an FM traffic antenna purchase.

You can go to mapquest.com to see Inrix traffic. You can go to Yahoo maps to see Trafficcast traffic.

I've never used RDS-TMC traffic, but since Inrix uses Clearchannel as one of their many data feeds, then one would deduce that Inrix should be as good, or better than, Clearchannel.