This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Q3 2009 Freshmaps will be out when?

2»

Comments

• Well, whaddaya know!

Maybe, just maybe, there were some legal wranglings that needed to be worked out before support could continue? Just a thought. :idea:

Wish my 8100T hadn't bit the dust!
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    See? I told you not to give up :) .
  • Dang. It is telling me that the new maps are larger and that I will have to get a larger SD card for my 5100Max.
  • same old problems with my 2120 - still can't save canadian routes - maps still not current - after rebooting favorites not usable - is this an update or just some kind of joke???
  • Long time to wait for an update that has the same fatal errors that were in the q2 update.

Multiple destinations in Canadian provinces causes fatal error.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    edited December 2009
    I just went to do the download and I usually get kissed after I've been screwed! I started the DL process and before the data actually started downloading I hit the return button so I could check my SD card. I went back to start the DL again and Navigon Fresh no longer presents me with the Download button - only Go Buy It. I reloaded my backup software to the SD hoping that fresh files would open the DL process, but no luck.

Considering this was Navigon I should have known better than to attempt to deviate from their process. I sent a tech support request in, but I may not live long enough to get a reply or solution.

Update: Long story, short......12 hours later I was able to get the download. No idea why, or how. No reply from Navigon, but perhaps it was taken care of anonymously at their end.

Unfortunately Landmark view is still broken.
  • Wade 81 Points
    Got it loaded onto my 2100 MAX, and LOW AND BEHOLD! A road near me FINALLY is in this dataset! Major road has only been there for 5 years now... :P

Yeah, it was a map update only, no software update.
  • The map size is about 1898 mb there is over 1900 mb on the 2 gb sd you should be fine.
  • Navigon's International site has FreshMaps available for the USA and they work with there current PND's.

http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/karten_services/karten/north_america_Q4_2009.html

Map of North America
    Where is your next trip to? In our shop you’ll find maps for almost all countries in Europe and North America. Just download and get driving!

NAVIGON release Q4/2009
    All states in the USA

Available for:

NAVIGON 8410 | 8450 Live
    NAVIGON 6310 | 6350 Live
    NAVIGON 2400 | 2410
    NAVIGON 1400 | 1410
  • It's a Christmas miracle! lol I guess I'll buy a freshmaps card off of someone on ebay now. I was holding out to see if they were actually going to update or not. Didn't want to buy a freshmaps card beforehand just in case. I don't have an SD card at all with my model. Am I going to have to get one or will it just replace the maps I have on the unit's flashdrive? I think the size of the map folder is 1.4GB for Q2.
  • I too get a message saying that the Q3 maps are too large for my current SD card and to go to a 4gig card. My question is...by going to a larger SD card and downloading the Q3 update maps, will it have the previous maps and my Zaget installed or do I have to do something to keep these?
  • I switched to a faster 4 GB SDHC card a long time ago, so I had no problem upgrading last night.

I just checked out the original card that came with my 5100. Not sure which release the maps are, but the US/Canada file was created in August 2007. All of the files total 1.73 GB and the card has a total capacity of 1.89 GB.

I always update to my new 4 GB card and then manually back up the files to my hard drive. The dates and sizes of my backup files are as follows:

January 2009 1.79 GB (1,924,585,267 bytes)

May 2009 1.81 GB (1,946,398,835 bytes)

September 2009 1.81 GB (1,946,412,804 bytes)

December 2009 1.85 GB (1,990,613,244 bytes)

I guess you could fit 1.85 GB of data on the original card, but does the unit need some excess capacity to store destinations & routes?

With 4 GB SDHC cards going for $10 - $12, I'd just make the switch if I hadn't already.
  • I too get a message saying that the Q3 maps are too large for my current SD card and to go to a 4gig card. My question is...by going to a larger SD card and downloading the Q3 update maps, will it have the previous maps and my Zaget installed or do I have to do something to keep these?
    I use a card reader in my computer to update and here's what I've found.

When you put in a new (blank) card, you get a message that it's a non-Navigon card . . . just continue and it will put all the files you need onto the card. I believe, since Zagat is accessed with an unlock code (which your log-on in Fresh should save), you should be fine. My 5100 came with it Zagat standard so I can't verify this.

What you will NOT get and you will have to redo manually is add back your home address and any other saved destinations. Once you do this, subsequent updates should retain your personal data.

Once the update completes, I exit Fresh and copy everything on the card to a new folder on my hard drive. I've tested copying those files to another 4 GB card and it works fine in my 5100.
  • I've noticed a new color scheme for the maps. On day mode, the ground is now various shades of tan/brown whereas before it was varying shades of white/gray. Looks nicer.

Also, a new street in my town that I submitted to the Navteq database in August of this year *IS* showing on the new maps so this is definitely a recent update.
  • papa 0 Points
    Since upgrading my 7200T to the new maps, Zagat reviews are gone. The Zagat icons appear for each category, but no Zagat ratings info is there. There is no Info button.

Anybody else have this problem?

Other than that, everything looks good.

EDIT:
    Never mind. It's there. I need to have my eyes checked.
  • same old problems with my 2120 - still can't save canadian routes - maps still not current - after rebooting favorites not usable - is this an update or just some kind of joke???
    Do you have Q1 backup files?
  • yes i still have Q1 -
  • yes i still have Q1 -
    so, do what I did:

1) backup Q3
    2) restore Q1, this software works fine as far as i know.
    3) copy two folders from Q3 backup to your GPS: map and poi

It works for me. i have Q1 software with Q3 maps.
  • - thanks for the help but that is not a suitable solution for this problem

- this software needs updating
    - hopefully navigon just might address some issues that need fixes in an
    otherwise quite good product in their next software update
    - anyone know when that is coming?
  • Got it loaded onto my 2100 MAX, and LOW AND BEHOLD! A road near me FINALLY is in this dataset! Major road has only been there for 5 years now... :P

Yeah, it was a map update only, no software update.
    Wade, I believe that we've got you beat. We had a road rerouted after the building of a huge new reservoir yet it took 6 years before it was listed, and even with that, I still get prompted where it junctions at the divided highway, US 129 to turn the right and then make a U turn because the map is still not aware that there has always been a cut-through which allows for left turns! We reported it multiple times and the mapping company insists that Navigon has had the update for years but Navigon says that "sometimes, rural areas like yours take a while to get listed." We're outside of the "rural" town of Atlanta and are the home of the University of Georgia.

We're hoping to get indoor plumbing and electricity in the near future.... :roll:

Arggggggg.

Happy Trails,
    Stretchr
  • I've noticed a new color scheme for the maps. On day mode, the ground is now various shades of tan/brown whereas before it was varying shades of white/gray. Looks nicer.

Also, a new street in my town that I submitted to the Navteq database in August of this year *IS* showing on the new maps so this is definitely a recent update.
    I noticed it too and agree that it looks nicer.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    As noted in another thread many users are now getting the email/newsletter notice from Navigon that the new maps are out. I just wonder how they count "quarters" over in Germany? :wink: :wink:

Our experts have completed the current map update for this quarter of the year. With immediate effect the latest map update is available for you to download. Bring your navigation system up to date right now - it's so easy.
  • just got message that it is available for my 2120 max

downloading now
  • hardwire 181 Points
    Because of the warning I downloaded to a 4gig card first... then copied it back to original 2gig card and works fine... has 28.7 meg free space.... 100 favorite POI takes up 26kb so that should be plenty...
  • woan 0 Points
    My 7200T survived the update using the stock SD card. First boot was a bit slow...
  • As noted in another thread many users are now getting the email/newsletter notice from Navigon that the new maps are out. I just wonder how they count "quarters" over in Germany? :wink: :wink:

Our experts have completed the current map update for this quarter of the year. With immediate effect the latest map update is available for you to download. Bring your navigation system up to date right now - it's so easy.
    Yeah, they conveniently skipped a quarter! I guess that means the next update won't be until June! :roll:
  • Hello, how long is it taking to download the new maps,not sure if it's my computer or what,but when I get to 200% it stops.

I have a 4gb card my gps is the 7200T,the last maps went in fine,this one is not. I am using the navigon fresh page. Can someone tell me what is my problem.
  • Anyone know of a way to just download the file on a windows 7 PC? Have been trying to update through Fresh on my old XP PC and is so slow it usually loses my internet connection and stops. Have to reboot and start over.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Hello, how long is it taking to download the new maps,not sure if it's my computer or what,but when I get to 200% it stops.

I have a 4gb card my gps is the 7200T,the last maps went in fine,this one is not. I am using the navigon fresh page. Can someone tell me what is my problem.
    My DL took 2 hours to install completion with Vista. I was downloading directly to the microSD card in my PC. I am also WiFi to my router at only 54Mbps and there are also 6 other nodes on my home network sucking bandwidth. When my download stage got to 100% it just sat there for a minute or two and I started getting nervous, but it then went to the extracting files stage and continued on to the install stage OK. A Garmin map install can take about the same amount of time. Navigon should give better visual clues for the different stages IMO.
  • Trying to update my 7200T to the new maps. Get the message "Your Navigon device requires an update". Is this update the newest firmware from January 2009? I did that before and the Landmarks 3D went away so I restored back to the original software that was in the 7200 when I received it. My Freshmaps version is 1.4.9. The recent upgrades to my 2100max and 5100max worked without any problems. Anyone else run into this - should I be concerned? Just do the device upgrade, then the map upgrade?? Please help.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I believe you are getting that message because Fresh has not detected your gps or SD card, either incorrectly or not at all. My current Firmware version on the 7200T is v7.3.4 Build 579 dated Jan 28 2009 and Fresh has been advising me ever since that I have the current version.

If yours checks out the same just go directly for the map update.

BTW 3D Landmarks are now working with that firmware version and Q3_2009 maps.

• Bought a new 4 GB SDHC card and copied/pasted all files to the new card. Then downloaded the new Q3 2009 map update, everything went smooth with the download and install....took me less than an hour to complete it. Tested it and it works great! well this is just too easy I'll use this unit until it dies!
  • Well, I took my SD card to work today and used my computer there. Downloaded Freshmaps and then did the Q3 download and everything went. Not sure how long it took as I started it then had to leave. When I got back to PC about two hours later evrything was done. Checked the SD card it had the new files on it. Got home from work 12 hours later and put card in my 2100 and it was there and worked. Let's hope we keep getting the updates we've apid for.
  • Same here - switched to a 4gb card with the old software and upgraded to the new. Even the 3D landmarks in my 7200T were there. Maybe Navigon finally got it right and will continue to support us NA users.
  • K8TEK 0 Points
    Great, now I updated it and the addresses aren't working right now. It is showing the address numbers but not the street names for the POIs.
  • zekec 0 Points
    Update:

So I don't only complain, I thought I'd mention that I got my 8100T updated OK without major incident.

First attempt was through Fresh which did not complete properly...
    thinking their server might be busy I just went to MyNavigon and downloaded the other operating system file so I could do it myself later and that completed no problem.

Predominently traveling in Canada at the moment and noticed that this "quarter" is operating better than the last and the missing flags have been fixed in the state/province selector screen.

Looks like Dagmar is not the name on the voice list now...
    no matter, I use Sarah (TTS).
  • Did the Q3 2009 update for my 7100, and lost the text to speech for street names.

The setting for turning it on and off is greyed out.

Used a 4GB card for the update. Put the old 2GB card back in, and get a "Fatal Application Error" when I go to basic settings. Apparently some kind of firmware update must have been done.

Any idea how to get back to the text to speech using the old card?

Thanks.
  • Did the Q3 2009 update for my 7100, and lost the text to speech for street names.

The setting for turning it on and off is greyed out.

Used a 4GB card for the update. Put the old 2GB card back in, and get a "Fatal Application Error" when I go to basic settings. Apparently some kind of firmware update must have been done.

Any idea how to get back to the text to speech using the old card?

Thanks.
    You do have a back-up of that card stored somewhere, correct??
  • Certainly, but the orginal 2GB card has not been changed.

I believe when the new 4GB card was loaded, a firmware change to the device was made.

I believe when the new 4GB card was loaded, a firmware change to the device was made.
    I don't recall Navigon ever using the term "firmware" . . . all I can find on their website is offers for software updates.

I'm under the impression (but I could be wrong) that Navigon's GPS software runs off the SD card and that's why we saw performance improvements when many of us switched to faster cards.

My guess is that your 2GB card had somehow become corrupted?? My first attempt to solve a problem such as yours would be to re-format the SD card and copy the data back on to it from my archived back-up.

It's worked for me in the past. Good Luck!

One more thing . . . make sure to do a hard shut down and restart when changing cards.

I don't recall Navigon ever using the term "firmware" . . . all I can find on their website is offers for software updates.

I'm under the impression
    (but I could be wrong) that Navigon's GPS software runs off the SD card and that's why we saw performance improvements when many of us switched to faster cards.

My guess is that your 2GB card had somehow become corrupted?? My first attempt to solve a problem such as yours would be to re-format the SD card and copy the data back on to it from my archived back-up.

One more thing . . . make sure to do a hard shut down and restart when changing cards.
    Generally, the software is on the device and the maps either on the card, device or both. Changing to a faster card probably allowed for faster reading of the maps. If a software update is done with a new card, it may have changed some files or added some. In that case, the updater software can't find the new stuff on the card if you put the old one back in.

I'm under the impression
    (but I could be wrong) that Navigon's GPS software runs off the SD card and that's why we saw performance improvements when many of us switched to faster cards.

Generally, the software is on the device and the maps either on the card, device or both. Changing to a faster card probably allowed for faster reading of the maps. If a software update is done with a new card, it may have changed some files or added some. In that case, the updater software can't find the new stuff on the card if you put the old one back in.
    Success!! Formatted the card, downloaded the old 1.2 software update, copied the maps from my backup, and everything reverted to the point before the Q3 2009 update.

The Q3 update definitely removed the text to speech function for street names in my 7100. Will stick with the Q2 maps for now.
  • For those of you that did the Q3 update and lost TTS, make sure you go into the settings and check to make sure you chose the voice that has TTS listed next to it. Your choice may have been changed with the update and only the voice with TTS next to it will have this function.
  • For those of you that did the Q3 update and lost TTS, make sure you go into the settings and check to make sure you chose the voice that has TTS listed next to it. Your choice may have been changed with the update and only the voice with TTS next to it will have this function.
    My 7100 does not have the ability to switch voices in the settings, as far as I can tell.

However, I did some exploring, and in Q2, the MN6\sound folder has folders in it for the three voices. In Q3, the voice folders are missing. Files are there, but no folders.

Copy the three folders from the Q2, to the Q3, MN6\sound folder, and TTS will be back.

Thanks to Thunder Dump for getting me thinking in that direction.
  • For all 2100max owners who upgraded to Q3 2009 - Any of you notice issues with street name text being difficult to read after the update ?