Nuvi 855: Long Term Battery Storage
  • nuvifan
    Although I suppose that most 855 owners use their units regularly, and thus are constantly recharging the battery when they drive, I offer this suggestion...for those periods when you might not use it for several days...and to avoid the Nuvi battery completely discharging itself (I believe this happens within 4-5 days of non-use).

I have taken a very small piece of a Saran-like material (about 1.5" x 3"), folded it over double, to create about a 3 inch long strip x .75". I place the thin strip around the battery, covering JUST the terminals and the middle of the battery, and store the battery INSIDE the Nuvi, with the cover on it. I leave a strip of the Saran material (actually, I use Glad) sticking out, to remind me whenever I pick up the Nuvi that the battery is disabled.

This way, I can store the Nuvi for an extended period without the battery discharging; the thinness of the wrap allows the battery cover to click into place totally closed; the advantage of keeping the battery inside the Nuvi is that I never worry about misplacing it: "Darn, where did I put my battery?"

The Nuvi retains full memory of all functions, favorites, routes, EVERYTHING, even with the battery removed. [However, I do seem to recall another poster who stated that his unit changes to a default voice everytime his battery is removed/replaced. I use "American Jill," and have NOT experienced this issue.]

Maximizing 855 Removeable Battery Life
    I harbor a totally unproven hope that the fewer times that I totally discharge/recharge the battery, that I am lengthening the life of my 855 battery. I do have an AC/DC wall charger, but have chosen NOT to keep the Nuvi permanently plugged in, again in the hope that the battery will last longer by being stored outside the unit, when not in use. I welcome all advice regarding ways to maximize the life of the 855 battery: Any suggestions?⁉

I know that this procedure may seem overly cumbersome, but it works for me...and I just wanted to share it with others.

Compliments of The Very Occasional 855 User
  • gatorcb
    I have had mine unplugged for at least 10 days and still have 3 bars of battery life
  • NetPro
    The Nuvis have a lithium-ion battery and as thus, the number of cycles it can be charged/discharged is finite.
    The battery’s components decay and change over time and like cell phone batteries, power tools, PDAs and the like, a time will come when it must be replaced.

I believe Garmin sells the replacement for the 885T for about $30. Not cheap but at least is available and not outrageously expensive.

The part I am not sure of is if leaving it plugged in all the time affects it longevity or if it is the charge/discharge cycle that wares them out (or just plain age).
  • Marc
    Your theory is not unproven. Lithium Ion batteries are designed to go through a finite number of discharge-charge cycles. However I find it odd that they discharge so quickly in an 855 that is off. Is it really is some sort of sleep mode?
  • Garman855
    Marc said:

Your theory is not unproven. Lithium Ion batteries are designed to go through a finite number of discharge-charge cycles. However I find it odd that they discharge so quickly in an 855 that is off. Is it really is some sort of sleep mode?

Moving the on/off switch to the "off" position puts the 855 in "suspend" (stand-by) mode rather than off. If you want to completely shut down the 855, you must remove the battery (or block its contact ponts). The "suspend" mode enables the 855 to power up quickly when the swtich is moved to "on." I suspect this "suspend" (battery-draining) mode is the reason why the 855 has an owner-replaceable battery.
  • mortfe
    I am an occasional user, maybe once-a-week or so. My battery never seems to drain. It always shows 'full strength'. I mentioned this to Garmin & they told me this is correct. I have never pulled the battery & it always shows full capacity. Is the guage wrong?
  • mortfe
    I am an occasional user, maybe once-a-week or so. My battery never seems to drain. It always shows 'full strength'. I mentioned this to Garmin & they told me this is correct. I have never pulled the battery & it always shows full capacity. Is the guage wrong?
  • NetPro
    mortfe said:

mortfe, what GPS model do you have?
  • mortfe
    I have the 855. Picked it up 10 min ago after 2 weeks+ and it reads full charge.
  • nuvifan
    mortfe said:

I have the 855. Picked it up 10 min ago after 2 weeks+ and it reads full charge.

mortfe: The rest of us Nuvi 855 (and 885) owners need to figure out what you do different...mine still drains to Zero in about 4-5 days. I cannot even begin to imagine what possible 855 settings could make a difference when it is powered OFF (which, of course, means "Standby" with this unit). :o

I would appreciate any conjecture by the rest of the "Nuviworld" as to why mortfe's 855 holds a charge for waaaay longer than mine.⁉
  • NetPro
    That's pretty bizzare; I have the 885T and like everyone else with one of these, suffer the regular battery discharge by the unit never being turned off completely.

As far as I can tell, the only difference in the specs between the 855 and 885T is Blue Tooth. I have turned mine off (blue tooth) and it does make a difference in how long it takes to drain; it goes from a couple of days to about a week and a half, but it gets dischaged either way.

I don't use mine all the time and I resent this inability to turned it off "all the way" and just being able to put it in a "sleep" mode.
    I know it is bad for batteries to be drained and not re-chaged right away and I am being forced to having to take the battery out when I am not going to use it for a while. Just a poor design if you ask me!

At least the unit will work without a battery in it, so when it dies, I still should be able to use the 885T with the car power while I order a new battery.

If I had known, I would probably have bougth the 855 instead. ':x'
  • My experience with my new 855 has been mixed. I had it on a trip to Chicago recently and it seemed to drain really fast. I used it a total of only 10-15 minutes a day while walking around, spread out over 3-4 uses, and it typically was dead before the day was over. But it has been sitting on my desk for the last two weeks and only turned on briefly 2 or 3 times and it still shows 3 bars.

I dunno what to think.

Rob
  • Well after posting on the 31st, I turned it on this morning & it was completely dead. Had to do a 'hard reset' to get it to charge. That must mean the battery guage is wrong. Better off charging 2 hrs every couple of days. Question: If you plug in the car charger with a completely dead battery will the Nuvi work?
  • mortfe said:

Well after posting on the 31st, I turned it on this morning & it was completely dead. Had to do a 'hard reset' to get it to charge. That must mean the battery guage is wrong. Better off charging 2 hrs every couple of days. Question: If you plug in the car charger with a completely dead battery will the Nuvi work?

I think so. At least, the 855T works even without a battery in it.
    I was concerned about the draining-by-itself battery problem and wanted to make sure that if the battery went completely dischaged on mine I could still use it, so, I took the battery out and plugged it to its car adapter and it worked just fine.
  • ravas
    Hi guys,

anymore thoughts on this? I too have this battery draining oddness, where I sometimes have pretty rapid battery draining or sometimes it drains fairly slowly. I've tried holding it in the off position for a few seconds before the switch slides back to its center position (thinking that it'll power down vs suspend), but that gives mixed results. I've also notice that maybe when it is in GPS sim mode, then I switch it off, it rapidly drains, but I haven't really evaluated it that much.

Anyway, I don't want to take the battery out every time I leave it sitting, but don't want to drain it all the time either. So now I leave it plugged in to the computer when not in use.

ps, is there a way to turn off the lcd when plugged into the computer? it's always on...somewhat annoying.

Otherwise the 855 is an awesome little machine.

thanks
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!