This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Mio C230 [Mio]

AV8TOR 0 Points
Over at the GPS Store http://www.thegpsstore.com/Mio-C230-Portable-GPS-Navigator-P1644C0.aspx they are selling the Mio C230 GPS. I have a Nuvi 350 but I am looking for an inexpensive text to speech model for my daughter and this looks good. I do not see any review here on the C230, also a search for C230 here does not show up anything.

Comments

• I currently own the Mio c220, which is the predecessor of the c230. I LOVE the c220 at almost any price point, but for under $200, there just isn't anything that can match it. I have a full review of the c220 on Amazon, including all my likes and dislikes about the product:

My c220 review

The c230 is very similar to the c220, except for three important new features:

1) Text-to-speech (TTS) - I read in other places that there is only one English female TTS voice to choose from, but it's suppose to be pretty clear. But boy, there is not a single GPS unit out there under $350 (except for the Mio c520) that has TTS, so this one feature alone is going to blow away all the competition.

2) Maps preloaded on internal flash. Previously, the maps were on an SD card, which means the SD card could possibly fail. Now that it's on flash, you also have the SD slot open for any future updates/maps.

3) Brighter screen - The c220's screen is decent, but I read that the c230 screen is even brighter, so it can be viewed better in bright places.

I am going to trade in my c220 for the new c230 during the coming Black Friday. I think Mio is purposely not announcing the c230 (they still list the c220 as their latest model on their website) and have not released the new c620 yet, so that during this year's Black Friday, they could have a massive sale and kill all the competition. Well, I will be there to support them!
  • Thanks Big
  • Looks like Mio finally officially announced the Mio c230.

Post from GPSLodge
    Review by CNet

As a note, I really do hate CNet's reviews in general. When they reviewed the c220, they gave it a bad score because of the screen. Well, the c230 has an improved screen AND it is the only low-end unit on the market with TTS. However, they gave it a bad review because they said the keyboard is cramped. It is the EXACT same keyboard as the c220, which they did not complain about!! My goodness...

Now, one thing I am not so sure about the c230. Some places said it has "nearly 1 million POI." Other places said it has over 3.5 mil, which is the same as the c220. If they reduced it to only about a million, then that is very bad. If that is actually true, I might have to rethink about buying the c230.
  • I can't believe it... it's true. I just called Mio customer service and spoken with the manager. The Mio c230 only has about 900,000 POI (nearly 1 million). They said this was done, so that everything could fit in the built-in 1gb internal flash. With the Mio c220, there was internal flash AND a 1gb SD card, so they could fit more data into the unit. What a disappointment! I would much rather have them force me to use a SD card than to take away over 2.5mil POI's! I have to seriously reconsider purchasing the c230 now... UNLESS... unless there is a way to hack it and add back the POI's from the c220. I am pretty sure we can use the hack transfer program to access the file system of the c230. However, I don't know where the POI's are stored. Hopefully, there will be some information about this in the future. Otherwise, Mio just lost a faithful customer.
  • vmd 0 Points
    I bought a MIO DIGI C230 recently and am having problem with finding any Walmart or Walgreens or Osco drug. It practically shows none. Any comments, suggestions or tricks to get this issue resolved
  • Tim 1466 Points
    GPS devices only come with a "selection" of POIs, typically about 5%-25% of all known POIs. You can find some custom POI sets on various sites, but your experience is otherwise as intended.
  • When I was using the Mio c220, which was loaded with 3.5mil POI, I could basically find anything I was looking for, even some small bakeries that I was sure would not be there. That was with 3.5mil. With c230's 900,000 POI, you surely won't find much. If you want more POI's, you'll need to trade up. You can get either a Mio c520 or a TomTom, which are both loaded with 6 mil POI.
  • I am having a lot of trouble just getting the c230 to display where I am in real time. What is the button to just display where you are on the map? I've tried the cockpit mode. My mom's Acura's default is to show you where you are at a given time.

The manual is crap. Not sure if I should've just gotten something else or just can GPS...
  • Before the Mio can tell you where you are, it first needs to get a strong enough GPS signal. Once you have a good signal (satellite icon turns white), then in either the cockpit or the map mode, if you had moved the map from your current position, then there will be a round button labeled "Follow" or "Lock" floating in your map space. Press that button and it'll show you your current location, marked by the little arrow icon.
  • Before the Mio can tell you where you are, it first needs to get a strong enough GPS signal. Once you have a good signal (satellite icon turns white), then in either the cockpit or the map mode, if you had moved the map from your current position, then there will be a round button labeled "Follow" or "Lock" floating in your map space. Press that button and it'll show you your current location, marked by the little arrow icon.
    Thanks man for explaining that. Just a newbie question. Is it normal to get a weak signal outdoors in major Texas City? Or is it just the time of day for your location?
  • Signal strength is dependent on a few factors. If you are surrounded by tall buildings, or if you are in a location where there are a lot of other types of signals flying around (i.e. airport), then it could cause the GPS unit to have a tough time getting a signal. Once at an airport, I was completely unable to lock onto a signal even after waiting 15 minutes. However, as soon as I started driving out of the airport, I got a signal. Also, it is important to note that the first time you turn on the Mio for the day, it will need to download a list of all the satellite locations. This download supposedly happens only once a day and can take anywhere from 1-15 minutes (at least that's what was said at Mio's website). Usually, it only takes 1-2 minutes, but in some cases, I have seen it take more like 5-10 minutes to lock on. However, in subsequent uses during that same day, it should only take less than a minute to get a signal. Good luck!
  • Tim 1466 Points
    Sor if you are in a location where there are a lot of other types of signals flying around (i.e. airport), then it could cause the GPS unit to have a tough time getting a signal. Once at an airport, I was completely unable to lock onto a signal even after waiting 15 minutes. However, as soon as I started driving out of the airport, I got a signal.
    I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm not saying you were not at an airport and had difficulty getting a signal and then got a signal when you went somewhere else.... but I don't believe it was specifically related to the airport.

As a pilot, in certain specific situations you can rely on GPS to get you to 200 feet (vertical) of a runway in conditions where you can't yet see the runway. At 200 feet if you can't see it... you abort the landing. Of course there are lots of legal hoops you need to jump through to make it all work, but it does rely on the same GPS system to work quite close to an airport. :)

There is also a large market for handheld GPS devices designed for aviation. Those devices are not much different from the PND you stick in your car except for the installed maps and the ways routes are created. I've never experienced an issue using those at an airport and frequently use them to navigate from airport to airport. :)
  • Hello all,

I just bought the c230 and love everything about it save for the POI problem. There just aren't enough, even big stores like Home Depot are not in there.

I need help. How can I find a general batch of POIs to load onto my unit? All I can find are sites that offer a few here and there and you must search and choose specific POIs. I just want a patch of sorts to fill in the blanks of missing POIs.

Also, how do I go about loading custom POIs on my device?

Thanks for the help! I want to love this unit, but I need more POIs for sure. Can I add an SD Card if more memory is needed and keep POIs stored on that?

Thank you again!
    Rob Augino
  • I haven't messed with any of this but have you checked out this link:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=101083&SearchTerms=POI

DC
  • Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. I followed that thread regarding the POIs and they can't be loaded on the device, only stay on the SD card. To boot, it made searching pois very slow and it didn't include them in the search anyway. I had to go to My POIs in order to sift through and select. Horrid.

For an extra $100 bucks, I am upgrading to the Mio c520 which has 6 millino POIs instead of only 900,000.

It will be worth it. I loved the size, design etc.. of the c230, but the lack of POIs is amazingly bad. Bad enough to force me to return it.

Take care
    Rob