This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How to tetermine if there is a map error in Tele Atlas?

ifse 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
There is a sticky on how to report map errors, but my question is about how to determine if there is a map error to begin with.

With Navteq, I can go on their site and type in an address, and they'll show me exactly where they have it mapped currently and even nearby POIs, so if I see something incorrect, I can report the error.

With Tele Atlas, when I go to their MapInsight and type in an address, they show only a street map but nothing else, so I can't be sure if the error still exists or not (for example a house number or POI which is way off - miles away). I may suspect that there is an error because I see it on Google Maps, but how can I be certain that Tele Atlas still has it wrong today?

I know there is a lag time between a Tele Atlas update and when it shows up on GPS, but is the lag shorter (or nearly zero) with online map sites since they can update in real time? Can I assume what what Google shows what Tele Atlas has at any time?

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    If the error is on Google maps, that is often an indication the error will still be there in the **next** map release, as I understand it.
  • MRM3055 0 Points
    I just bought a Magellan RoadMate 3055, and have owned a Magellan 1412 for years. The 1412 had my correct address right out of the box, but when I powered up my new 3055, it said that I lived on Meadow Drive, which I've never heard of! Sure enough, I went to the TeleAtlas website and did a street search...and they have the wrong name on my street! I reported it, but I'm stuck with a misnamed home street until a new updated version comes out, which means that I'll have to shell out more money. I'm guessing that Magellan used to use NavTeq for their maps and switched to TeleAtlas.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Not much use to you, I'm afraid, but tomtom users can change street names (among other things) on their units using mapshare.

By the way, you say you have reported it. Was it at tomtom.com/mapshare/tools? If not, do so. The change will get implemented a bit sooner than through other methods.
  • MRM3055 0 Points
    No, it wasn't at the TomTom site, I reported it on the TeleAtlas site itself. I tried to report it on the TomTom site, had to create an account....but couldn't figure out how to do it so I gave up.
  • Tim 1484 Points
    You are correct that Magellan used to mostly use Navteq and now they are generally using Tele Atlas.

TomTom owns Tele Atlas so no need to report it on the TomTom site if you have reported it directly on the Tele Atlas site.
  • sviking 141 Points
    but my question is about how to determine if there is a map error to begin with.
    Compare the representation to the real world location with your own eyes? And/or on Google Earth, perhaps?

Seriously, that's how I do it. Drive through an area that's incorrectly mapped and go, "Hey, that ain't right..." :lol: