This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

ifinder model differences [Lowrance]

rich_kildow 0 Points
What are the differences between the Lowrance Ifinder H2Oc, Expedition C, and Hunt C, other than the icons? Looking at the spec sheets on lowrance's website shows them to be exactly the same except for the icons. The H2Oc is touted as having a higher resolution, but all three models have the exact same screen size, resolution, and colors.

My main reason for going with the Lowrance models is so I can run Navionics lake maps and I'm willing to pay for some extra features, but not if it is only to add camo to the Hunt c. Thanks for the help. I look forward to being part of this forum when I pick this up as my first GPS.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Sort of like a game of "what's wrong with this picture"... Look more closely at the specs and you will see the differences. That's what I did, although I know absolutely nothing about these units and have no opinion on which would be best for you.

H20
    -----
    1000 waypoints
    0 events
    63 icons
    0 plot trails
    0 routes
    no compass
    no altimeter
    no multimedia

Hunt
    ------
    2000 waypoints
    1000 events
    80 icons
    100 plot trails
    100 routes
    compass
    altimeter
    multimedia

Expedition
    ------------
    1000 waypoints
    1000 events
    63 icons
    100 plot trails
    100 routes
    compass
    altimeter
    multimedia
  • I'm looking to use it as the primary GPS on my bass boat while still being able to take it hiking and geocaching with the wife. I want to run Navionics maps, which limits me to Lowrance handhelds, at least as far as I know. That being said, I think I will be going with the expedition or hunt, depending on how good of a deal I can find on either.
  • wasabi 0 Points
    Rich,

I had an iFinder (Explorer model?) and really liked it. I was able to use my Navionics chips that I had bought to use in my sonar/gps unit on my boat. I got the handheld because sometimes I went fishing with other people and still wanted my gps with me, an also sometimes went fishing in my kayak or canoe. It worked great until the supposed waterproof unit was rained on and it stopped working. It was out of warranty so I have been without a handheld for months.

Lowrance is coming out with a new line of handheld gps units called the Endura line. YOu can find it on their website and other places like Cabelas (but shows as out of stock since it hasn't been delivered yet). My point in mentioning it is you might want to consider buying one of the new units that are built on faster hardware and newer technology rather than something that has been out for several years. At least that is my rationale for waiting for the Endura.

One caveat - it isn't clear to me if they will support Navionics chips when the unit ships. They do not say they will (which means they won't unless their marketing department is clueless) but I've seen some vague references by somewhat knowledgeable forum posters around the internet who suggest Lowance wants to build this feature into the unit. I'm hoping it will be a software update that enables it. If not, I can live without it but won't like it after the investments I have made in several expensive chips.
  • You're advice is spot-on with what I was looking at. I really like the Endura, but if it won't support Navionics, I might as well go with the Garmin Oregon/Colorado 400i's for the inland lakes mapping. Maybe I'll just get on the phone with Lowrance's customer service and figure it out for sure.
  • wasabi 0 Points
    I bought a Garmin to get me through until the Endura comes out and I don't like the Garmin mapping. I guess I'm used to Lowrance maps and like them better.

I DO like Garmin's Mapsource PC software though - very helpful in managing data on my PC. Unclear what companion PC software I might get with the Endura.