This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Inrix Traffic

gber 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Inrix, Inc. is offering a free traffic application for the iPhone on iTunes app store. So far it is getting good reviews. I just downloaded it and will test it out in the coming weeks.

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    I could have used that yesterday when I got stuck in traffic going north through the York toll booth. ;)
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Tim, is Inrix traffic showing coverage on any pnd outside of Boston up in the Northeast?
  • gber 0 Points
    Traffic is being reported in NH and Maine on the interstate highways. Excellent coverage this far north of Boston.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Thanks, Gber. I'm wondering if the Inrix iPhone app is offering traffic information that you can't get on a pnd. That's my real question. I can get traffic and flow coverage via my Blackberry for areas and roads that I can't get on any pnd traffic system I've tried so far, including Navigon RDS/TMC, MSNDirect on a nuvi, TomTom's 740 or TeleAtlas Shotgun.
  • AlexM555 0 Points
    edited August 2009
    Inrix was used on the Dash Express for traffic info which included traffic conditions on arterial roads in addition to highways & freeways... It would have seemed to me that they would have the advantage in traffic reporting over other traffic services that only report traffic on major highways. Inrix gets their data not only from highway sensors, but also from thousands of 2-way GPS systems located in fleet vehicles (taxis, trucks, etc.), and formerly from the Dash Express users. The addition of an iPhone application would strengthen their gathering of traffic info and driving conditions.

Alex
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Tim, is Inrix traffic showing coverage on any pnd outside of Boston up in the Northeast?
    With respect to where you are going with the question.... I'm not sure. But to directly answer the question it is somewhat difficult to tell because the further north from Boston you go the less "traffic" there is. :) But generally yes, I can see traffic data in New Hampshire and southern Maine on PNDs.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Thanks Tim. That's somewhat helpful.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Tomtom PLUS (powered by Inrix) is showing flow alerts right now in NH and Maine.
  • Interesting traffic app right now only for the I-Phone. The I-Phone acts as a probe for Inrix when you are using it for traffic and there is an interesting feature where you speak into your phone to alert other users in the general area of traffic conditions. In other words you see an accident happen and other users in the area hear your alert a lot quicker than Inrix would pick up on it probably.

http://digital.venturebeat.com/2009/08/06/aha-mobile-the-interactive-traffic-app-that-wont-kill-you/

The app is free, in part because its costs are so low. It has bartered for most of its information. It gets traffic flow and incident information from providers like Inrix and Clearchannel, for example, but supplies those providers with the inputs from its own users in return. The low-cost approach reflects the experience chief executive Robert Acker had at his prior start-up, Dash Navigation.

http://ahamobile.com/
  • offthegrid 91 Points
    edited August 2009
    Beat the Traffic has started showing secondary road traffic from Inrix on their web and mobile platform. Not the best maps quality but it does show the data and free. I was told the IPhone app doesn't show the secondary roads.

They need to port the app to WinMo, Blackberry, S60 and Android.

http://www.beatthetraffic.com/traffic/map.aspx?regionid=52&viewname=Boston

http://www.beatthetraffic.com/mobile/maps.aspx?regionid=52&viewname=Boston&633866198599497500
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    They did. I'm using Beat the Traffic on my BB.
  • No I mean the Inrix IPhone app so more users can become probes. Between their own app and Aha's app (mostly their own) they probably have as many IPhone probes as commercial probes.
  • Gator can you use the regular BTT website on your BB or do you use the mobile one?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Mobile
  • Inrix has a support forum in Get satisfaction for the IPhone app and an Inrix employee told a user they can't give away their secondary road data in a 'free' app when asked about it.

Odd that BTT has it. Inrix has probably doubled their probe numbers through the IPhone and the Aha Mobile apps. Plus this is top data for the rush hour and secondary roads.
  • Gator did you sign up for the My Traffic at $20 a year? I just noticed that includes 'traffic based routing'. Not sure if thats available on the mobile or not.
    I may get the free trial and check it out.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Nope. I haven't paid for an app yet other than Telenav (canceled) and Garmin Mobile.