This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Another Navigation app for the iPhone: I Go My Way

Comments

• Some info from another forum:

"Map updates quarterly.
    POI updates are coming with the map updates every 3 months.
    TMC is coming in one of our updates soon! Data provider will be announced at the time, depending on country."
  • Tim 1481 Points
    It is an interesting app. Very un-iPhone like interface, which many die-hard iPhone users might not like.
  • Anyone tried this thing yet?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I've been using it for a couple of weeks. Have any specific questions?
  • Simple Questions:

How does it perform relative to TomTom or Navigon.

How up-to date are the maps?

If you had to pick one iPhone app to be your Sole GPS which would you pick and why?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I'm not sure those are simple. :) I'll have a review of iGo coming out before too long. But I'd say Navigon and TomTom have a more polished product.

Between those two, I think today they are pretty even. Navigon has better speed limit data and is a bit cheaper until Aug 31. The TomTom will consistently pick better routes due to IQ Routes but also the Navigon can still sometimes pick some silly routes. But I think one year from now the TomTom platform will have a better, more complete offering. Who knows at what cost though. And I think the Car Kit will transform the experience.
  • Personally I don't think I'll be buying the Car kit. My GPS reception is flawless and I have the phone hooked into my car stereo mounted on a ProClip. Maybe the carkit would be good for travel I guess.

I really like the Ability to block roads on TomTom and the IQ routes. Once they add in Traffic, I think you are right: they will be unbeatable.
  • Tim,

Please review CoPilot as it has the niche of being the low-priced option for such apps.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I probably will, but at this point I don't consider it to be a contender. They are using their own map set for the USA (they are not using Tele Atlas nor Navteq) and the road database and routing are pretty poor. I hear the map data they are using in Europe is much better-- but here it stinks.
  • I did not know that! Thanks.
  • For lordhamster, I'm using the Navigon app and am extremely pleased. I'm actually heavily invested in TT devices, my wife uses a 920, I have a 930 with traffic receiver, but if Navigon continues to support this app and perhaps add traffic I could see replacing my TT for this. However I don't use any navigation system on a daily basis, if I did I think my stand-alone device would be my choice, at least for now. But if I wind up traveling to other areas without my own car I'll only be taking my phone with this app and not a second device.

Tim, I'm glad you said what you did about Co-Pilot, it was intriguing but I didn't get a good feeling from the reviews I read and now I'm glad I didn't bother. Igo looks to have really great graphics but there still seem to be several drawbacks compared to Navigon and TT.
    John
  • For lordhamster, I'm using the Navigon app and am extremely pleased. I'm actually heavily invested in TT devices, my wife uses a 920, I have a 930 with traffic receiver, but if Navigon continues to support this app and perhaps add traffic I could see replacing my TT for this. However I don't use any navigation system on a daily basis, if I did I think my stand-alone device would be my choice, at least for now. But if I wind up traveling to other areas without my own car I'll only be taking my phone with this app and not a second device.
    You've hit the nail on the head. For someone who travels, I think iPhone nav apps are great simply for portability.

From what I've read on Navigon's site, they are promising TTS & Traffic later this summer. Which is a shame because I'd love to use TomTom for the IQRoutes... they really need to get their act together and release an improved version. For being the most expensive nav app on the market they are going to have to deliver some neat features.
  • From what I've read on Navigon's site, they are promising TTS & Traffic later this summer. Which is a shame because I'd love to use TomTom for the IQRoutes... they really need to get their act together and release an improved version. For being the most expensive nav app on the market they are going to have to deliver some neat features.
    I really like that TomTom feature a lot as well some of the others but so far that Navigon app functions extremely well, no external device needed - it picks me up as well in my house as it does outside. IQ routes would be tempting but there would have to be a lot more as well to get me to switch.

Now the deciding factor long term will be how these companies handle future map updates. I purchased the quarterly map subscription for my TT device which I was very happy about because if TT continued to charge as much as they were for new maps I was going to be looking at another device soon anyway. For now though I think these two apps hold the most promise for someone planning to use them as their only nav device.
    John
  • Tim 1481 Points
    no external device needed - it picks me up as well in my house as it does outside.
    Do you have wifi in your home? If so that could be the reason why it gets a signal inside your house so well. Even near the window my iPhone can't get a GPS signal without the assistance of wifi positioning.
  • Tim, I do have wifi but rarely use it on my phone. This app even picked me up in the hospital where I work and I never use wifi there. The 3g signal in my area, Baltimore, is quite good. Anyway the gps reception for this app is not an issue for me at all. I do have a 3gs which might make a difference.
    John
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The 3g signal in my area, Baltimore, is quite good.
    That is probably why you are getting a position fix. The aGPS system on the iPhone can triangulate your position from multiple cell towers as well. I live in the middle of nowhere and can barely get a cell connection. I use wifi, but for that to work you need to register your hotspot and that is something which doesn't interest me.

Inside my house (which is only one story) I have never had my 3g iPhone lock onto a satellite signal. Instead, it thinks I'm about 8 miles way, which is evidently the closest cell tower. When I go outside I get a very accurate position fix from the GPS, although it often seems to take forever.