This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS for hiking, mountainbiking and snowboarding

Gomez 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Hello

Looking for recommendations for a GPS unit.

I will use this primarily for offroad navigation whilst hiking, mountainbiking and/or snowboarding. Mapping and ability to programme waypoints would be critical for this, as would small physical size (need to be attached to my mountain bike stem).

I hear that something with a SiRF chipset would be wise to allow for signal aquisition in difficult areas.

If the unit could also be used for onroad navigation (by foot or bike, not car), this would be an additional benefit.

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    I would look at the following two. Each could be used for hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding, etc. They all provide mapping capabilities. For mountain biking you would want to look at purchasing a RAM mount for it to mount on the stem. Both of these devices come with the SiRFstarIII chipset which will provide a faster position lock and better signal in weak areas. They could both be added with auto maps.

Garmin 60CSx
    Garmin 60Cx

The difference between the two is that the 60CSx comes with an electronic compass (can tell direction even when the GPS is not moving) as well as a barometric altimeter. There is currently a $50 rebate on both of those models.
  • Gomez 0 Points
    thanks for that response. I was thinking along the same lines.

anyone got any thoughts about the best (and by best, I mean cheapest!) retailer of GPS in the UK?

I'm going through Tokyo on 20 Dec - any thoughts regarding whether it may be possible to get the unit cheaper there?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    You can try this link for UK prices on the 60CSx. I think that link should work for you.
  • Might want to check out the Lowrance iFINDER Expedition C (link below). Nice toy, nice features and in my opinion, best bang for the buck. Sorry, just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/Products/iFINDERExpeditionC.asp
  • Gomez 0 Points
    so I'm thinking about the Garmin unit. I understand it comes loaded with Atlantic basemaps - which is good as I am based in the UK. Are these adequate to navigate from on/offroad or do you really need to upgrade the mapping?

If so, how much does the upgrade cost?