Tom Tom 720 POI features?
  • Hi, I was looking into purchasing a GPS unit, and the Tom Top 720 was at the top of my list (if i can find a good deal on it) but I was curious how good the POI system is.

1. Can you search Restaurants by type?
    2. How easy is it to update Restaurants, and how often is it necessary?
    3. How does this compare to other GPS companies POI database?

Any other information/opinions on the POI system would be very much appreciated. Also if anyone knows of any websites with good deals on Tom Tom units, feel free to share!
  • Also, the Cnet review of the Tom Tom One said that the POI data was out dated, does anyone know if the POI data on the One Third Edition is any better? If anyone can answer those same questions about the One, that would be great too. Is the 720 POI system that much better than the One? POI info is a very important feature to me, and could completely change my mind about a GPS. Thank you all very much.
  • cpt97m3
    TomTom POI is only one level. So all restaurants are grouped together. To make matters worse, it only shows you the closest 24. Not so bad if you have a "Fast Food" or "Italian" subcategory, but it's not as handy when they are all grouped together. It's easy to add a custom POI category. For example, my wife travels a lot and likes Starbucks, so I added a Starbucks POI category (Thanks to Tim). So now I have the standard "Restaurants" and the added "Starbucks". If you know what you want, you can type it in, like "McDonalds" and it will show you the 24 Mcdonalds close by.

For traveling, it has a lot of POI, but not all of them. TomTom did not seem to have any Pilot gas stations or Home Depot where I was.

I really like my TomTom 720 for Navigation, but there a few things they can do better in the POI department.
  • Tim
    There is a common misconception (I'm not saying either of you have it, but just for the record) that since GPS devices try to include all of the streets, that they also try to include all of the POIs. That isn't the case. While there are perhaps 20 million POIs in the USA, most devices only install about 1-5 million. So even a best case scenario will have 75% "missing".

1) Chromavita answered that one for you.

2) Via MapShare, you can update them as often as you would like getting corrections from other users. Otherwise you are limited to occasionally purchasing a map update.

3) Very, very similar. Each system often has the same mistakes, the same outdated closed restaurants, etc. The primary difference with the TomTom devices is that they don't display subcategories of type.

The POI on the ONE third edition will have fewer POIs than what is installed on the 720.
  • So which brands of GPS has a better POI system? I have used an old Tom Tom, but i thought maybe this system had been updated. What other companies have easier to use and/or multi level POI searches? I think it would be great to be able to find a restraunt by type or something like that.

And really there aren't to many places that i frequent enough to warrant adding a whole section just for them. (Except maybe SunTrust Banks) But thank you very much for the suggestion.
  • cpt97m3
    Garmin and Alpine both have multi-level POI. It's hard to say if they are better for sure, but there are advantages to the multi-level. One issue that is that they aren't always correct. For example, I've seen Roundtable Pizza listed under Fast Food, Italian, and Greek for different locations. To find them all, you need to search under "All". That's a data entry issue. They aren't consistent in the categorization.
  • One thing that annoys me about the POI's ... not sure if this is also true for eg. Garmin, but the POI's in TT's to my idea aren't grammer correct. Proper grammer will tell you that a titel, under which names, will have a capital letter for each word. Eg. Frank Further as a name and Capital Iron for a shop ... it annoys me to find Capital iron ... 'iron' spelled without a capital.

It's something small not to worry about, many would say it 'what are you whining about', it just bothers me.
  • JeepLover

So which brands of GPS has a better POI system? I have used an old Tom Tom, but i thought maybe this system had been updated. What other companies have easier to use and/or multi level POI searches? I think it would be great to be able to find a restraunt by type or something like that.

Even though the TT 720 does not differentiate restaurants by type, I understand that if you search for a type like "Italian" in the title it seems to work pretty well. Also with Mapshare, new restaurants (if they are any good) are likely to be added quickly by other users and restaurants no longer operating are likely to be reported as gone. This should be more up to date than any commercial database.
  • I am agonizing over a gps purchase (Nuvi 200 or TTone 3rd) and it comes down to the POIs. The only way to get up to date POI info is to crowdsource it. There are just too many changes happening on a daily basis for any map company to keep up without becoming the nations largest employer. Now the Garmin system has many more POIs than the TT but it could be quickly surpassed by the mapshare system. My question is how much space does a POI take up? With only 1gb of internal memory it seems like the memory would get full on the TT pretty quickly. Of course I am making assumptions about the way that mapshare works
  • Tim
    Roughly 10,000 POIs take up about 1/2 MB in the TomTom OV2 format. I recall there is about 25 MB of free space on the ONE so it could potentially hold about 1/2 million more POIs, as a very rough estimate.
  • Thanks.
    Sounds like I might have to look for a device with an expansion slot.
    Or maybe even just buy a garmin for now and in a few years when the
    technology is more mature buy a TT.
  • Tim
    What about the ONE third edition is appealing to you to pick it over the ONE 2nd edition?

Often no matter how many POIs you have on your device, it often might not have the correct POIs that you need. For example chains that I visit often are frequently not in TomTom nor Garmin's databases, and thus regardless of the brand I build up custom POI files for the locations I want.

With about 25 million POI locations in the USA, even a device with 6 million POIs will be "missing" 75% of them.
  • Tim said:

What about the ONE third edition is appealing to you to pick it over the ONE 2nd edition?

The mapshare is what got me excited about Tom Tom in the first place(is it available on the One 2nd?). As I outlined above I think this is the only way that mapping companies can keep up. The city I deliver to has a new road or a change to a road about once a week. They open or close a new business about once a day.
    Thank you for taking the time here, you haver been very helpful, I think I might buy the Nuvi 200 and try to forget everything I learned on this site :shock: :shock:
    As is often the case when look to buy a gadget that is new to me technology,
    I end up researching and finding out that what I really want is much more expensive than what I started out researching. Sometimes I think I should ignore the internet and buy what I want and be happy.
  • Tim
    Berniep said:

The mapshare is what got me excited about Tom Tom in the first place(is it available on the One 2nd?).

TomTom is in the process of rolling out "NavCore 7" to most of their devices. That version of the software includes MapShare. So far it is available to certain serial number ONE 2nd edition devices, but not all. It is expected to be available to the rest of the 2nd Edition before too long.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!