This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Help Required with HP GPS [HP]

jesuscares 0 Points
Please help! I have a Ipaq 312 GPS which I have wiped clean [formatted].
I have reloaded evey thing on the HP site to the GPS but I can not get it to operate. can someone please inform me what I am doing or not doing. Regards John S

Comments

• johnb 0 Points
    How did you "wiped clean [formatted]."
  • Thanks for your interest. I went to my computer, right clicked on the icon and clicked fomat. too easy. I havent stopped berrateing myself since.
  • johnb 0 Points
    You will have wiped Windows CE and your licence files as well as the HP software.

Did you have a backup made with HP Content Manager? You should try restoring that rather than the software from the HP web site. You can then apply the HP update later.
  • You will have wiped Windows CE and your licence files as well as the HP software.

Did you have a backup made with HP Content Manager? You should try restoring that rather than the software from the HP web site. You can then apply the HP update later.
    I believe the backup with Content Manager is only your personal settings, favorites, addresses, etc. If he did not do a true copy of the entire drive to his PC it is time to send in to HP for repairs or seek a new device if the cost is prohibitive.
  • You will have wiped Windows CE and your licence files as well as the HP software.

I believe the backup with Content Manager is only your personal settings, favorites, addresses, etc. If he did not do a true copy of the entire drive to his PC it is time to send in to HP for repairs or seek a new device if the cost is prohibitive.
    I agree it doesn't contain a complete copy of everything but the Content Manager does contain other data, e.g. the license, as well as all the other files HP thought were necessary. I'm not sure how many of those files the update from HP site contains. If he can't restore the license file then the device won't work.

If he can, I suppose he could possibly get a copy of Win CE and install that and then go into engineering mode and (v carefully) restore the registry.

Otherwise it will need to go back to HP.
  • Yes, I believe it backs up the license file as well.