This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon iPhone App Price

pappasbike 91 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Apparently Navigon has decided to continue their "discount" price in place until the end of September. The app appears to be doing very well in the app store. I also believe it's about the highest rated full gps app there. They seem to be set on holding their edge at least price wise on TomTom. Here's a link to the announcement http://twitter.com/NAVIGON_/statuses/3694292039

John

Comments

• Apparently Navigon has decided to continue their "discount" price in place until the end of September.
    John
    A continuous "going out of business" sale? They persuaded me to purchase on the last day of August to avoid the September 1 price increase. (I don't mean really going out of business - hardly - but one of those sales that never ends? New Yorkers, in particular, will know what I mean.)

Tim
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Since (in North America) TomTom is at such a marketing advantage with the push they are getting from Apple, plus the fact that Navigon has otherwise pulled out of North America-- I think they had no choice. Even if the two applications were a "tie" on performance/functions Navigon would have to come in at a lower price/margin to keep up with TomTom. So far it looks like the strategy is working out for them.

I would have been shocked to see the price change as they originally suggested.
  • The price has changed.
    It is now 89.99$
    Two days later but and increase indeed.

By the way, i hoped they won't change the price to force the others salers to lower theirs.
    That's what as a consumer i am looking for ;)
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Navigon has also confirmed that they are working on their own car kit/mount.
    we are working on a kir kit for the iPhone...more information will follow
  • That's great news.
    But it might take months before we see them on shelves.
  • They mentioned they were going to be offering a car kit in a tweet several weeks ago, so oerhaps it may be ready for sale sooner than expected.
  • The price has changed.
    It is now 89.99$
    Two days later but and increase indeed.

By the way, i hoped they won't change the price to force the others salers to lower theirs.
    That's what as a consumer i am looking for ;)
    Yep, looks like that "discounted" price didn't hold for long! I guess someone spoke too soon! Still a little cheaper than TomTom. The car kit certainly makes it seem that they are trying to compete with TT. Hopefully things stay that way, I'm really enjoying using this on my phone and looking forward to the next update. Don't know that a car kit would add anything for me.
    John

Interesting, I just went back to that Twitter link I posted above and get the message that the page doesn't exist!! Hmmmm!
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Interesting, I just went back to that Twitter link I posted above and get the message that the page doesn't exist!! Hmmmm!
    No worries... here is what the tweet said:
    NAVIGON MobileNavigator Summer Price Part II. Valid until September 30th. Check out here: http://navigon.twi.bz/D
  • That's what it said all right, but it sure disappeared fast!!
    John
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Here is a pic of the Navigon iPhone mount, to be released in October. It will come with a charger-- but it doesn't look like it will have a speaker, Bluetooth, or GPS chip. (Though not confirmed.)

• A portable charging dock may be all many users want. If the price is right they may sell a few of those.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    They may-- though I think both manufacturers are missing the sweet spot. I personally think the mount needs a GPS chip, power port and speaker. The Navigon mount (appears to not have the GPS chip and maybe not a speaker) while I (personally) find the Bluetooth/mic on the TomTom mount unnecessary.
  • The GPS chip and charger are a must IMO
  • I meant to ask your opinion of the bluetooth. IMO, it has marginal benefits and just adds more to the cost of the mount with little to no advantage for most. They'd be better off dropping bluetooth and trimming $20 or more off the price. Of course since it's already designed, kind of a moot point.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I think our biggest issue with Bluetooth when it comes to a PND isn't the concept of the functionality, but rather the quality of the speaker and microphone. Thus if the quality of the microphone and speaker on the TomTom mount is acceptable, then Bluetooth is a desired feature. Otherwise if it is crappy like most PNDs, I'd rather not pay for that extra chip.
  • But why would the mount need BT? It is connecting to the iPhone through the full-sized connector at the bottom. It has access to the audio (both ways) and anything else it needs on the device.

The user's BT earpiece would connect to the iPhone directly. Why would the mount use BT for anything?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I believe that you need an app running to pull audio in from external hardware, though I haven't taken that close of a look at the SDK. Thus if a call comes in and you wanted to dump the nav app you would also drop the call... In other words I suspect if you were not using Bluetooth and were using the port for audio in/out that it would only work when the app was active. I can't think of any hardware accessories (though I could be wrong) that send data back into the iPhone without an app running at the same time to handle that connection.