This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Mobile phones easy and good software?

Klamerek 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Hi! First I would like to introduce myself and say Hi! to everybody! I'm mobile phone user from Poland. Living in a city of Gdansk, near to the Baltic Sea. Im travelling a lot :D

I bought Nokia with Symbian with GPS. And I don't really know what to install on it. To be honest Nokia's software is not very good :/ Can I put any other software on it? Like Ndrive, TomTom or Garmin?

Comments

• I think TomTom or Garmin make software for the Nokia. Have you tried the Google Maps app? It is free.
  • I think Co-Pilot is available for the Symbian platform. If so, it's been well-received in Europe. Navigon may also offer now offer their nav app for your phone.
  • Where do you travel to Klamerek? Some GPS systems have better quality maps available than others depending on who they partner with for their maps.

My polish friend tells me that there are some very good local map producers in Poland while some of the international map makers have lower quality maps. (Missing a lot of street names, poor routing (recommending routes that locals would not use because of heavy traffic or blockage).

Automapa makes particularly good maps of Poland. Not sure which GPS companies use their maps but you might be able to find some information on their website. http://www.automapa.pl/
  • Hi!
    Sorry - I had terrible time in my work. I couldn't answer.
    Yes! I know about Automapa but Automapa is not available for phones.
    For me most important when software is working smoothly, and is reliable.
    I know that most of them use the same maps. Am I right?

I can try Navigon. Can someone say me if it is ok?
  • Navigon is one of the better ones. For a smartphone the price is quite reasonable too, at 50 Euro.

You can also find specific information about their systems here: http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/shop/consumer/pda/1289
  • Thanks for that link.
    Yesterday I saw it on my friend's mobile and to be honest - it's slow. But price is making me to consider that one.

And what about Copilot?
  • jaja 0 Points
    Hi! First I would like to introduce myself and say Hi! to everybody! I'm mobile phone user from Poland. Living in a city of Gdansk, near to the Baltic Sea. Im travelling a lot :D

I bought Nokia with Symbian with GPS. And I don't really know what to install on it. To be honest Nokia's software is not very good :/ Can I put any other software on it? Like Ndrive, TomTom or Garmin?
    If you want to travel in Europe, I can "recommand" Sygic or NDrive, I know they have good software for Symbian. Sygic has a platform that's very similar to TomTom, but since it's an European company, I think they have better maps.

NDrive is also European and have one of the fastest software on the market and pretty nice graphics. They also have good maps, but it depends where you want to travel to...
  • Ive checked Garmin, Tomtom and I don't like. Maybe because before I was using other Polish PND software and I prefer other user interface.

I also bought new Iphone :D 3G :D

Maybe Iphone is not the best hardware for GPS but working with it is sooooo great :D So I looked at Navigon and TomTom (we don't have TomTom in Poland but if You want You can find a solution). Neither of them is nice to me.

Do others (Copilot, Sygic or NDrive) have something for Iphones?
    I will probably forget about my Nokia even that I didn't try on it even Nokia maps. Iphone has bigger screen and I believe to find something good for it.

Next week Im going to France...
  • Yes, both Co-Pilot and Sygic offer iPhone nav apps. I've read several positive reviews on both, tho the preference seems to be Co-Pilot.
  • True, the gps receiver in the IPhone makes it difficult to have good reception quality continuously.

Copilot and Sygic both make apps for IPhone... but it depends on the country. You can tell by looking at the navigation section paid apps. Sometimes they will be there, sometimes not.
    Copilot apps tend to do more than Sygic apps, unless yer in RUssia.

That other company doesnt appear anywhere relating to IPhone.
  • True, the gps receiver in the IPhone makes it difficult to have good reception quality continuously.

Copilot and Sygic both make apps for IPhone... but it depends on the country. You can tell by looking at the navigation section paid apps. Sometimes they will be there, sometimes not.
    Copilot apps tend to do more than Sygic apps, unless yer in RUssia.

That other company doesnt appear anywhere relating to IPhone.
    I mount my iPhone on my dashboard with views of satellites. I have to say my iPhone reception has been as good as any GPS I've had... except that it acquires signals faster.
  • That's good! Which soft do You have?
  • That's good! Which soft do You have?
    Both Navigon & TomTom. Both have good GPS reception if the phone has a good view of the sky.
  • Both Navigon & TomTom. Both have good GPS reception if the phone has a good view of the sky.
    You don't mind that TomTom doesn't have gesture recognition? Do You have any problems with zooming in/out in with Navigon? Like black rectangles when a map is loading?
  • jaja 0 Points
    I don't know about Navigon but TomTom is pretty dissapointing from the visual perspective... the graphics look like they were made in the 70's.

it also takes more time to find an adress then other software do and the lack of gesture recognition does not bother me as much as the lack of search by initials... it takes forever to type in the adress if you try to get to a crossing or something like that.

but you have to give it to them for the good maps (usually), lane assist and the traffic feature. and I think they are quite accurate.

by the way, the iphone has problems with the gps receiver (I think because of how slim it is).... so it's not the gps software.... or so I've read. :)

• by the way, the iphone has problems with the gps receiver (I think because of how slim it is).... so it's not the gps software.... or so I've read. :)
    I've read the same thing, but actually using the iPhone with TomTom or Navigon it works every bit as well as any other PND.
  • jaja 0 Points
    Yes, the performance is the same... it's just that the iPhone looses signal more often than a PND does... and that has nothing to do with software.
  • I think that is not like that. Good soft can help a lot. TomTom has very good hardware but with soft is significantly worse...