This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

3Q NA FreshMaps Date?

woan 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Aren't they 2 months late now? Anyone have an idea of when 3Q 2009 North America FreshMaps update will be available?

Comments

• I hope they also include fixes to their buggy software. Otherwise they can stick their Q3 2009 maps in.... You know where. They will be useless.
  • This is just my opinion, as of now, but I honestly think there aren't going to be any more updates from them. I hope I'm wrong. I'll say this though, when I move my mouse over the map files in the map folder on my flash drive most of them say June 2009 (although I thought that update came out in late May?) and that's from the Q2 2009 update. June, of course, is the last month of the 2nd quarter. We're in the last month of the 3rd quarter right now. Using that logic, you'd think the update would be coming out very shortly now, like within the next couple of weeks at the most. If this goes into October and we still have no updates then I'd say be worried if we're ever going to see any again for our PND devices. If that happens, I'm selling my 2000s for a cheap price and moving on to Garmin or TomTom. Makes no sense to hold onto a GPS that has outdated maps IMO.
  • The 2Q update was posted May 22nd, which is close enough to June for me to be comfortable with them being called June maps. There is something that I think needs to be considered:

FreshMaps promises up to 12 map updates over the three year period, not necessarily an update every quarter. So, technically, they fulfilled their obligation with the first update after purchase. Personally, I don't think they're dead for us (US), and even if they don't send a 3Q update, they may push one out by year's end.
    Still, given the cost of the three year package, they're still cheaper than a single update from the competition, who mostly update only once per year!

Just my $.02.
  • I saw that someone mentioned they had a problem after updating their maps on a 7200t. Did anyone with a 7200t successfully update their device?

I'm planning on getting 7200t today and want to make sure I can get at least get one update. :)
  • Still, given the cost of the three year package, they're still cheaper than a single update from the competition, who mostly update only once per year!

Just my $.02.
    Both Garmin and TomTom have been updating roughly every three months this year. Both also have subscriptions. As an example, if you bought the Garmin Lifetime Maps subscription and figured it for the same three years, it would come to as little as about $28 per year. And they are much more likely to deliver quarterly updates.
  • Many Navigon purchasers got FREE map updates for 2-3 years so no financial loss here - just more disappointment in a company that may not understand the meaning of accountability.
  • Navigon and FreshMaps lead customers to expect an update every quarter (see below),
    not the "12 in 3 years" play on words.

They are very late and later everytime.
    I believe it is because they have dedicated 'both' of their technical staff to the all important iPhone application. Navigon seems to be betting the farm on the initial iPhone sales,
    because their actions indicate they are prepared to lose all credibility in terms of support and integrity.

This is from the Navigon Support website, and I quote...

When in general can I expect to be notified that a new release is available?

What’s the schedule for releasing NAVIGON FreshMap updates going forward?
    NAVIGON FreshMaps generally will be made available first month of any given quarter, i.e. January, April, July, October. Registered users will be notified by email when a new map update is available.
  • How many of you are on Twitter?

Why don't we all tweet that we would never buy a Navigon app for the iPhone because the company unconscionably abandoned the U.S. market without any visible means of support for all who took a risk and invested in their brand.

I have a few followers on Twitter, good idea? :mrgreen:
  • Many Navigon purchasers got FREE map updates for 2-3 years so no financial loss here - just more disappointment in a company that may not understand the meaning of accountability.
    What about the buyer that DID pay full price for the Traffic option and a couple weeks later made free. Did contact Navigon w/o success.

OR

free map updates for Navigon GPS buyers.

If any individual is to be upset that bought into Navigon's products, I/we were left behind without any compensation or credit.
    We are the ones who suffered financially like ME !
  • Is Navteq the company that does, or used to do, the map updates for Navigon? I thought I read that somewhere. The reason I ask is because I went to their website and clicked on "Buy a map update" and they have a column on the left for requesting map updates for your device that pops up. Every company I clicked on some info came up concerning getting updates. I clicked on Navigon and just a blank page comes up. The only one that did that. Not sure if that means anything but I thought I'd just mention it.

What about the buyer that DID pay full price for the Traffic option and a couple weeks later made free. Did contact Navigon w/o success.

OR

free map updates for Navigon GPS buyers.

If any individual is to be upset that bought into Navigon's products, I/we were left behind without any compensation or credit.
    We are the ones who suffered financially like ME !
    I feel your pain. This whole conundrum has been bantered about on this and other forums since Navigon pulled up their tent stakes and disappeared into the night. My suggestion is to contact your state attorney general's office and file a complaint even if just for the principle and not necessarily the financial loss. If they can get enough publicity out of pursuing it maybe they can do something for you and the multitude of others. As my dear old grandpa would have said in a situation like this, "I usually get a kiss after I've been screwed"! :roll:

OTOH we just sit tight and see how it all shakes out.
  • I see there are a number of complaints at the BBB (Better Business Bureau) website already...
    might as well join in there. At least they may be in a position to help get a resolution(?)

http://www.bbb.org/chicago/business-reviews/global-positioning-systems/navigon-in-chicago-il-88081468
  • I personally don't see the value in complaining to the BBB as there seems to be nothing they can do. This forum (and others) is probably in a better position to "sound the alarm" or espouse "Caveat emptor" to people still looking at a Navigon product.

The BBB of Chicago, IL states and asks:

"According to information in the BBB files, this company is no longer in business. If you have an unresolved dispute with this company you may wish to seek legal advice."

"If you are the owner and/or President of this company and the information regarding your company being out of business is not correct, or if you are a consumer and you have information about the company having moved to a different location, please click this link http://app.chicago.bbb.org/updatecompany.

On June 8, 2009 this company informed the BBB of Chicago and Northern Illinois that they have ceased operations."

The do not give Navigon a rating (NR) because they are out of business. In this country they claim they are - out of business, therefore does that mean untouchable or non-liable? It will take a higher level of consumer advocacy to do anything for anybody and my guess is that the global amount of money involved across the entire USA isn't going to light any fires under anyone in power.

Just my 2-cents worth.
  • I think by listing themselves as being "out of business" that sends up quite a few red flags when it comes to future updates or anything else involved with them in North America. I'm going on a trip in a few weeks and I'll use my 2000s for that trip. If I come back and there are still no map updates then it's bye bye Navigon for me. I'll just have to find another GPS that comes as close as possible to my 2000s since I really do like the unit.
  • Some dude on another forum got a response back that there will no longer be any map updates. The long wait is certainly backs up his claim.
  • Has there been any discussion of a class action lawsuit. There must be some aggressive lawyer out there who would like a nice paycheck. They are still doing business here and are surely libel for all the cards they sold and have not delivered on. Sounds like a lot of $'s to me.
    Maybe if everyone contacted their state A.G. if no lawyers are interested would get some action.
  • I have already suggested in another thread that we all use Twitter to get the message to Hamburg. Have you seen what a few mad Twitter Moms did to Motrin?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=motrin-moms-a-twitter-over-ad-take-2008-11-17

I suggest we use Twitter to search for anyone who tweets about the Navigon iPhone app. We then post something like this (134 characters):

Wouldn't buy that iPhone app knowing that Navigon abandoned its North American GPS buyers by leaving them virtually unsupported. #FAIL

:twisted:
  • I already started this campaign. I posted this in response to the first tweet I found from an American recommending the iPhone app:
    @pauloleandro Wouldn't buy that iPhone app knowing that Navigon abandoned its No. Am. GPS buyers by leaving them unsupported. #FAIL
  • And here's his answer:
    RT @pauloleandro: @ubercool Wow, I didn't know this. That's horrible!
    :wink: