This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

A positive email I received from Navigon today

blackngoldrules 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Take this FWIW guys, but I recently sent them an email really letting them have it concerning the updates and how a lot of people are concerned they are not going to fulfill their end of the agreement in the freshmaps subscriptions. Well, this was the email I just got back from them.

Dear NAVIGON Customer,

Thank you for your Email.

Indeed, NAVIGON makes sure that all NAVIGON FreshMaps customers will still receive the FreshMaps updates they purchased.

Our customers will also continue to receive support for any concerns that might arise, including warranty.

Q3/2009 should be out shortly.

It is however not possible to say exactly when this new map will be available for download since we are still in the process of creating and checking the software.

We thank you for your comprehension.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any additional information.

Sincerely

--------------
NAVIGON Support Team
Caroline Maschewski
E-Mail: support.us@navigon.com

If you have further questions, please attach previous e-mails

Comments

• That's awesome! When did you get it? I wonder if my bitching on Twitter had anything to do with it. :wink:
  • I hope this is not just PR exercise.
  • Fact is, they are way overdue with no explanation.

Next update will no doubt be significantly late, also.

Since they claim they are still testing and are way overdue,
    it would seem that they simply aren't providing the technical staff required to meet their obligations.

No explanation or notice means they are content to tick off their customers.
    iPhone app people be aware of the care-less message the support is sending.
  • You should complain on Twitter, not here. Only GPS freaks will read about it on GPS Review, and probably gloat because they own a Garmin. On Twitter we can start a Navigon owner rebellion. :roll:
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Fact is, they are way overdue with no explanation.
    If you look at the service agreement for FreshMaps, no schedule or minimum service guarantee is offered. They merely say you can get "up to" a certain amount of updates based on when the product was purchased. There is nothing that says they must offer a minimum number of updates nor updates on any particular timetable. At least, that is what all of the FreshMaps agreements I've read say (or don't say).

• If you look at the service agreement for FreshMaps, no schedule or minimum service guarantee is offered. They merely say you can get "up to" a certain amount of updates based on when the product was purchased. There is nothing that says they must offer a minimum number of updates nor updates on any particular timetable. At least, that is what all of the FreshMaps agreements I've read say (or don't say).
    Legally you (and Navigon) may be right . . . BUT what they are doing SUCKS!

They are long on the way to solving their USA name recognition problem . . . not in a good way!

I jumped on the Navigon bandwagon early, convinced friends and family to follow my lead . . . and they (Navigon)bailed out of North America???

Shame on them!!!

FWIW . . . I recently bought a 3 y.o. used Chinese made generator off Craigslist . . . had a problem with it . . . called the 800# on a decal on it and a live person (in the USA) answered the phone . . . pointed me in the right direction, e-mailed me a free copy of the manual and when I called the next day to order a part, took care of me quickly and professionally. That's how you are supposed to take care of your customers.

Navigon's advertisements clearly lead people to believe that they would get quarterly updates for 3 years, now they want to hide behind the fine print. Navigon presented itself as a reputable European company making a commitment to US & Canadian customers. What happened to that commitment? They announced an opening of an online accessory store/site planned for March 2008 . . . in May 2008 I wrote and asked when was the site opening . . . here's their reply:

We are working hard to finalize a full suite of replacement and upgraded accessories. These will be available very soon. Keep an eye on www.navigon.com for more information.

They NEVER offered many of the accessories in the US that they sold on their European site. Ever try and buy an extra bayonet windshield mount or just the bayonet part sold in Europe?? Good luck!

Navigon CHOOSES to offer crummy service and support to existing PND customers, yet wants people to use them as their iPhone traffic provider?? WTF???

Navigon's ultimate demise will not be caused by the bottom dropping out of the PND market last Xmas . . . it will be caused by their reaction to it.

Navigon . . . the "Edsel" of PND's!
  • Navigon . . . the "Edsel" of PND's!

Poor Edsel - always maligned! I agree in principle with your comments on Navigon, but to set the record straight comparing what happen to the Edsel to Navigon behavior is like comparing apples to cantaloupes! Edsel was simply the wrong car for the economic atmosphere in 1958. (My brother has 3 and I have heard the story many times) At least you didn't compare Navigon to the Corvair!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In many ways Navigon was the right PND for the economic atmosphere - they just got greedy.
  • Navigon and FreshMaps lead customers to expect an update every quarter (see below),
    not the "12 in 3 years" play on words.

They are very late and later everytime.

This is shown on the Navigon Support website, and I quote...

When in general can I expect to be notified that a new release is available?

What’s the schedule for releasing NAVIGON FreshMap updates going forward?
    NAVIGON FreshMaps generally will be made available first month of any given quarter, i.e. January, April, July, October. Registered users will be notified by email when a new map update is available.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    "generally" : in most cases; usually; without regard to particulars or exceptions
  • Navigon and FreshMaps lead customers to expect an update every quarter (see below),
    not the "12 in 3 years" play on words.

They are very late and later everytime.
    I just don't agree with those statements. In the Fresh Maps subscriptions I bought, it was clear, to me at least, that there was no firm delivery dates involved -- for example it did not say things such as 'Updates available by the last day of each quarter ...'.

I'm not defending them, and I wish they would put the maps out on a firm schedule every three months. You seem to post about this a lot and vent your anger here, I doubt this is going to change their schedule, nor it is going to drive away any potential customers for Fresh Maps subscriptions in the US.

I'd also question what value or benefit you seeking by getting their new maps delivered to you on a fixed, firm schedule? In my case, it is nice having map updates, but in my experience there it seems to me to be as much a peace of mind effect as an actual, tangible effect. I have yet to see any map or POI database updates that actually affect me, maybe I go places that one time and the POI or the road was not there on the older maps, and I don't know it. However, in all cases I encounter where a brand new road or highway is put in (new = it was never there before), or a road is rerouted, the maps still do not have the update. And so I've come to the realization that the $29 or $39 I spent on the Fresh Maps goes more to peace of mind in getting updated maps than to anything else.
  • "but in my experience there it seems to me to be as much a peace of mind effect as an actual, tangible effect."
    Ordinarily, I would agree with that and hope it to be so for most customers...

I have experienced new road construction and benefited from that info, but more importantly there have been several bugs introduced in a recent update and the only chance we get for a fix (it seems) is the following update.

So for that reason, unnecessarily prolonging the following update is a double kick-to-the-head.

---
    "NAVIGON FreshMaps generally will be made available first month of any given quarter, i.e. January, April, July, October."
    This is an indication of a delivery schedule and it is reasonable to assume some flexibility because of the word "generally";
    however a reasonable delay would be +/- a few days or +/- a couple weeks... we are now looking at minus 3 months which (to me) is no longer reasonable.

Despite the "12 in 3" word-play from Navigon, some (arguably reliable and popular) press at the time of announcements were interpreting this as quarterly updates and naturally, no retraction from Navigon.

The general public was allowed to believe that this was quarterly.
    To retract it later when convenient is a cheap-trick lacking any good business practices.
    Not whining, just sayin' is all.

See links for examples (not that they are are a gaurentee in any way):

"NAVIGON's FreshMaps service offers quarterly map and POI updates."
    http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS122886+08-Jan-2009+PRN20090108

http://www.gpsbusinessnews.com/Navigon-launches-FreshMaps-three-years-quarterly-map-updates_a695.html

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-03/navigon-introduces-freshmaps/

http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/017098.php
  • Logically, the question would be: Prior to pulling out of the US market, how often were these "quarterly" updates distributed here? Were there a total of four per year? What about in the rest of the world? How often were their Freshmap updates, and to this day, how many Freshmap updates were offered to the rest of the world this year??!! Let's compare apples to apples!!
  • blackngoldrules 0 Points
    edited September 2009
    For those of you questioning whether or not the next update we see (if and when we ever see it) is going to be an actual update or not, I could definitely tell you right off the bat as soon as it comes out. In the Pittsburgh area, one of our local interstates had it's route number changed from I279 to I376 back in June. The part that was once I279 that runs from I79 to downtown is now part of I376. They also completely redid the exit numbers on this interstate as well. If we get another update and that part of the interstate still says I279, and the exit numbers still reflect the old numbers, then I know it's not a "real" update. This took place back in June, so it's not like it just happened a few weeks ago and the change took place too late for Navigon to update it. I did go to the Navigon website and I went to the map reporter page to let them know about the changes, but that was just a few weeks ago. The map on their site still has the old interstate numbers. I looked at other maps like Yahoo, google and mapquest and they all still have the old interstate number so maybe it's a slow process when it comes to something like that, I don't know. I guess I'll find out whenever this next map update eventually comes out.
  • There was a copy of a response e-mail from one of Navigon's reps stating that no matter how often updates are offered, FreshMap users will still get their 12 map updates. So in theory, if they release them annually, for the next 12 years we are all set.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    is going to be an actual update or not, I could definitely tell you right off the bat as soon as it comes out.
    I can show things that that were changed over 10 years ago from Navteq and Tele Atlas that are not in their most current maps. So does that make all of the map updates not "actual" map updates? :) Some errors get discovered and pushed out very quickly-- others, not so much. All you can really say is that the particular issue you are describing was or was not updated in that version of the map. It doesn't predict what other changes might have made it in or not.
  • is going to be an actual update or not, I could definitely tell you right off the bat as soon as it comes out.

I can show things that that were changed over 10 years ago from Navteq and Tele Atlas that are not in their most current maps. So does that make all of the map updates not "actual" map updates? :) Some errors get discovered and pushed out very quickly-- others, not so much. All you can really say is that the particular issue you are describing was or was not updated in that version of the map. It doesn't predict what other changes might have made it in or not.
    You know a lot more about this stuff than I do. I would just hope they'll at least push through an update concerning changes made on a major interstate, because if anyone rolls through this area right now using a GPS they'll get confused real fast with everything that has changed. I guess it's all about "wait and see" right now. :)