This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 7200t Owner's Thread

ubercool 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I know this is a little late but I figure that what we orphan 7200t owners need is a discussion lounge. :) So I'll begin by posting my experiences here and hope other owners will contribute to support what I believe is one of the best GPS devices Navigon, or anyone else for that matter, has made.

I will update this post regularly, and will start with the basic specs first.

SPECIFICATIONS
Technical Highlights
* Advanced Text-to-Speech Voice Guidance. Turn-by-turn directions with street names.
* Bluetooth Hands-Free with Contacts. Stay focused on the road ahead.
* NAVIGON Sync. Imports your Outlook contacts for easy access to addresses.
* Auto Day/Night Mode. Adjusts your screen for better daytime or nighttime viewing.
* Free Real-Time Traffic Updates. Coverage across 80 cities for the life of your product.
* Product Dimensions: 2.9 x 0.7 x 4.5 inches ; 1.1 pounds

Product Description
For those looking for both style and substance, the Navigon 7200T combines an elegantly designed black housing with an extra-wide 4.3-inch flatscreen that provides photo-realistic images of virtually every highway intersection and exit complete with sign text and lane guidance. Pre-loaded with maps of both the U.S. and Canada, the 7200T comes with free real-time traffic updates (for the life of the device) and allows users to reroute with the touch of a button. Other features include Bluetooth handsfree communication when paired with your cell phone, text-to-speech capabilities for turn-by-turn directions with street names, ZAGAT restaurant ratings and reviews, and millions of pre-loaded points of interest.

The Navigon 7200T features a widescreen 4.3-inch LCD, real-time traffic updates for life, Bluetooth communication capabilities, and voice destination entry.

Never miss your exit again with the photo-realistic Reality View Pro with actual road signs and lane guidance.
The features and functions of the Navigon 7200T are controlled via intuitive, easy-to-use animated menus that use predictive text input to quickly and easily select your city, state and address. It comes pre-loaded with complete maps of the U.S. and Canada, providing you with superbly accurate, seamless door-to-door directions wherever your vehicular travels might take you. It's powered by a 600 MHz Centrality Titan I processor and runs the Microsoft Windows CE Net 5.0 operating system. You can load additional optional maps via MicroSD memory cards or by connecting to your PC with the USB 2.0 port.

Free Real-Time Traffic Updates for Life
Only Navigon gives you free real-time traffic updates for the life of your device. No subscriptions or additional hardware needed. Just open the box, turn it on, and get instant access to traffic information ahead. The Navigon 7200T alerts you of traffic troubles and provides alternate routes for more than 110 cities across the U.S. and Canada. Whether the jam is caused by congestion, accidents or construction, our familiar red-yellow color-coding with incident icons makes it easy to tell exactly what's going on, where it is and with one click, the best way to get around it.

Voice Destination Entry
With the Navigon 7200T, you can focus on the road ahead without having to manually type in an address again. Simply speak the city, street and number and the 7200T will input each one field by field. In case you need additional guidance, Navigon's simple to use iconic menus will lead the way.

Landmark View 3D
Landmark View 3D shows the best-known buildings across the U.S. and Canada in richly textured 3D. From the Empire State Building to Grauman's Chinese Theater and hundreds of landmarks in between, the Navigon 7200T lets you enjoy a new dimension in navigation.

Reality View Pro
Never miss your exit again. The next generation of Reality View provides more coverage in more places. Reality View Pro displays photo-realistic 3D views with actual road signs and lane guidance for virtually every highway interchange and exit you will encounter.

Lane Assistant Pro
With the newest generation of Lane Assistant you'll never question which lane you should be driving in again. Lane Assistant Pro provides clear visual lane guidance complete with lane maps and arrows that indicate exactly which lane will keep you on course.

Bluetooth Hands-Free with Contacts
The 7200T features Bluetooth technology that turns your device into a hands-free speakerphone, so you can hold on to your conversations while keeping both hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road. Plus, the touch screen allows you to access your phone contacts and with one simple touch place a call. As an added feature, you can import your Microsoft Outlook contacts to your 7200T with Navigon Sync.

Advanced Text-to-Speech Voice Guidance
Keep your eyes on the road and let Navigon's advanced text-to-speech technology audibly guide you turn by turn with actual street names. Providing you more than simple turn-by-turn directions, the 7200T gives you additional guidance with full street names. Advanced phonetic technology ensures street names are pronounced clearly and correctly.

Exit Guide
With Navigon's Exit Guide, you won't have to guess what points of interest are in the next exit or the next ten exits. This feature lets you scroll through each upcoming exit by number and search for the right restaurant, gas station, hotel, rest area, auto repair shop or store.

Innovative Design
The 7200T takes Navigon's love for design one step further with a device that was crafted to attract attention. The ultra-thin, jet-black exterior is complemented by an innovative, 4.3-inch Flat Panel Touchscreen, a technology that results in a sleek, frameless design. Beauty is more than skin deep and the 7200T delivers on the inside with a software interface and map that is elegantly designed and intuitive.

ZAGAT Ratings and Reviews
In addition to millions of POIs, the Navigon 7200T puts ZAGAT ratings and reviews for over 27,000 locations in 110 cities across the U.S. and Canada, at your fingertips. So whether you're looking for the best restaurant, hotel, golf course, nightclub, or attraction--you'll always know the perfect place to wine, dine, stay and play.

DirectHelp
It doesn't know CPR but it can help you find someone who does. Just push a button and get instant directions and phone numbers to the nearest hospitals, police stations, tow truck companies and pharmacies. The screen will display your exact location, so you know where you are and they know how to find you.

Fast and Friendly Software
Powered by Navigon's next generation software, the 7200T is fast and easy to use. You'll be able to enter your destination and generate a route in less than half the time. The Smart Speller feature anticipates and predicts the street you're searching for, requiring fewer screen "clicks" than any other portable GPS device to get you on your way. Smarter and more intuitive POI searches via our widescreen tabbed interface make looking for a special destination easy.

Instant Fix II GPS Receiver
With Navigon's new SiRF InstantFix II GPS receiver, your device will lock onto a GPS satellite and find a signal in a matter of seconds. Plus it can even minimize the effects of tall buildings and trees, so you have a strong signal wherever the road may take you.

Other Useful Features
* Multi-Destination Trip Planning. Plan your entire trip at one time.
* Millions of pre-loaded points of interest (POIs), including restaurants, gas stations, retailers, and more.
* Speed Assistant. Displays speed limit and can warn you if you are exceeding it.
* Auto-off Feature. Turns off your system when you turn off your car.
* Auto Day/Night Mode. Adjusts your screen for better daytime or nighttime viewing.
* Navigon FreshMaps. Optional subscription to keep your map up-to-date for three years.

What's in the Box
Navigon 7200T, pre-loaded maps for U.S. and Canada, car mount, adapter for dashboard mounting (plastic disk), car charger, Quick Start Guide

REVIEWS
http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/navigon-7200t/4505-3430_7-33229603.html
http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/review-navigon-7200t-20081110/
http://www.gpsreview.net/navigon-7200t/

PICTURES

FAQ
I thought I would post additional information in the form of a FAQ. Please feel free to correct any erroneous information.

Q. Can I update the Navigon 7200t with Q2 2009 maps?
A. Unfortunately, updating the 7200t requires instaling new v.7.3.4 firmware, which has a bug causing the 7200t to lose its Landmark 3D view while also losing traffic reports. The landmark view does reportedly return if you can find Q1 2009 maps. Backing up and restoring to firmware 7.3.1 and Q3 2008 maps restores the Landmarks view.

Q. Can I upgrade my Navigon 7200t to a 7300t?
A. You can buy an upgrade on eBay, which when applied, turns your 7200t into a 7300T, which was set to be released in May 2009, but was killed due to Navigon's withdrawal from North America. It also installs Q2 2009 maps plus more POIs, so make sure it does not introduce the Landmarks 3D bug described above. The update is typically supplied on a DVD and can be installed by simply dragging the updated files to your existing Navigon microSD card (make sure to back up your current files beforehand). As one user put it, "you may be disappointed in the package based on other user posts."

Q. How I do transfer everything from my 2GB microSD card to a larger 4GB card?
A. Use the Navigon Fresh software to create a backup of your existing card software; remove the card and put in the new card, and "Restore" from the backup you created earlier. You can also use Windows explorer to find the backup files, and copy and paste them to your new card. When you connect the 7200t to your PC, you will see the microSD card as a new drive, either "F" or "G" -- depending on what devices are connected to your PC).

Q. Can I upgrade to a microSD HC Class 6 card?
A. Yes you can upgrade to a higher-speed card but users report no perceptible improvement in performance, such as map loading.

Q. How do I contact Navigon North America?
A. Support can be reached in of of three ways:
1. Phone
USA/Canada 1-888-848-0701 (8am - 5pm ET)

2. Web
http://support.navigonusa.com/support/index.php/email

3. E-mail
English: support.us@navigon.com

Q. How can I express my displeasure over Navigon's premature departure from the North American market?
A. The most effective customer service weapon today is Twitter. Many a big company has been brought to their knees by users willing to loudly express their opinion on this high-profile micro-blogging service. There are two ways you can draw the attention of Navigon corporate headquarters:

• Displeasure tweets -- You can simply post a tweet with your personal opinion about Navigon's customer service abandonment of your cherished GPS device.
    Informative tweets -- You can search Twitter and find anyone tweeting about buying the iPhone Navigon app, and send and @ reply to the twitterer saying something like this: "Wouldn't buy that iPhone app knowing that Navigon abandoned its North American GPS buyers by leaving them virtually unsupported. #FAIL."

Comments

• Very happy that I went back to a Navigon after briefly dallying with a Garmin nuvi 775t. Here's what I noticed right away:

1. Graphics -- the Navigon maps are far more richly illustrated. S.F. Giants Stadium, POI logos, look more detailed.
    2. Details -- The Navigon software shows far more street names, etc. than the nuvi did. I really hated this about the Garmin. It was as if they only wanted you to focus on your current street.
    3. Volume -- the 7200t is loud! I can even hear it clearly in my convertible, a huge plus for me over the hardly audible Garmin.

Now on to upgrade the 7200t to a 7300t and upgrade/add European maps. :mrgreen:
  • OK, this is not fun. My 7200t started restarting like crazy tonight. Also, it's now taking an incredibly long time to lock onto satellites. Tonight, when trying to demo the GPS to my friends, the ride to the restaurant was long over before the unit finally locked onto enough satellites to function.

Anyone else have this problem? :(
  • If it worked before and goes nuts now try to reboot it. It should help.
  • I think I mentioned in another Navigon thread that at least the 7200's will benefit from a weekly hard reset. My Navigon has been one of the least stable pnd's I've used. Between slow sat lock, occasional lockups, speaking German on start-up two times so far, and delayed response to screen taps, it's not one of my favorites. Just like you, when I first received it, the map display, colors, crispness and customizing options impressed me. I got over it. :)
  • Yes, I have started to fall out of love with it too. Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with this unit now, can't return it. At least I didn't pay too much for it. The reset did work, so I guess I will just have to live with its idiosyncrasies. Still the best GPS in terms of graphics and design, though. :roll:
  • I think I mentioned in another Navigon thread that at least the 7200's will benefit from a weekly hard reset. My Navigon has been one of the least stable pnd's I've used. Between slow sat lock, occasional lockups, speaking German on start-up two times so far, and delayed response to screen taps, it's not one of my favorites. Just like you, when I first received it, the map display, colors, crispness and customizing options impressed me. I got over it. :)
    ok, maybe you were just having a laugh, but if not, how can your 7200 speak German? The only language files I've seen in the states are English, French, and Spanish?

I would love it if mine spoke German (just for kicks!). Does yours really?
  • I know. . . German is not one of the installed voices. But trust me. It was German. (I lived there a few years).
  • Ok, now you got me wanting to make mine speak German!

"Vas is das traffic?"

"undt, rerouten? screenen poofen mit der gerfingerpoken!"

(sorry for poking fun at all you German speaking folks - just getting a little giddy this morning! BTW - I live in Charlotte and I bust on the way we talk too, y'all!) :wink:
  • Just want you folks to know that my 7200t is still performing admirably. I've used it for three weeks intensely here in Atlanta, a new city for me, without any problems whatsoever. In fact, I've had no restarts or experienced any idiosyncrasies. Simply great! 8)
  • I use the 7200T in Atlanta too. Mine restarts everytime I am going south on Interstate 75 right at the Williams street exit. That is the only place I have experienced it and it is consistent.
  • Wow, that's weird! I knew those traffic cameras emitted dangerous radiation! :shock:
  • Wow, I need to test that exit with my 2000S to see if it can handle it. :D
  • I work off the Courtland Street exit. Every time I have the 7200 on, it reboots just as I pass the Williams Street exit going south on 75/85. Never fails.
  • I'm going to test that too and see if I run into the same problem! :roll:
  • Have to say that I love the 7200, upgraded the software to the 7300 and it's brilliant, can't fault it at all and been using it for the past year with no problems.
  • Well in Europe Navigon is still supporting its customers. Here in the U.S. they abandoned their consumers. Let's hope that Google's free navigator, announced yesterday, puts them out of business soon. :mrgreen:
  • papa 0 Points
    Have to say that I love the 7200, upgraded the software to the 7300 and it's brilliant, can't fault it at all and been using it for the past year with no problems.
    I echo that statement. Never had a problem with it. Incredibly accurate detailed map and traffic. No regrets.
  • Love mine too, it's very accurate, beautiful and fast. Of course yesterday I had to have a rare spontaneous restart at Monroe Drive. But not bad considering it's the first time in weeks! :)
  • I work off the Courtland Street exit. Every time I have the 7200 on, it reboots just as I pass the Williams Street exit going south on 75/85. Never fails.
    I wanted to respond to this earlier but now that I have passed this exit at least three times, I can report no rebooting. In fact, it has rebooted only twice so far in ATL, so I'm doing really good with mine. You must have some kind of unique interaction between your car, the Navigon and surroundings. :shock:
  • Update: The cold snap we just experienced here in ATL made my Navigon freak out. Started to reboot itself spontaneously like four or five times during a given trip. :shock:

The good news is that now that I coddle it inside, it likes it much better. :mrgreen:

Anyone else notice poor cold-weather performance? :roll:
  • I just bought 2 Navigon 7200T's for $110.00 us each new. I really like them but would like to get the maps updated and the 7300T upgrade sounds interesting! Would anyone be interested in passing on some information PLEASE ( Q3 2008 Maps were installed)

I use them for work I am courier and a bus Driver and they make my job so much easier and less stressful.

I have been using the Pocket Loox 100 and a Navigon 2100 but wanted something with a little more speed.

Thanks in advance for any help

Sirthurston
  • papa 0 Points
    I just bought 2 Navigon 7200T's for $110.00 us each new.

Just curious...where did you buy these for $110?
  • I got them at my local Microcenter they were the last 2 they had.

I got one and liked it so much I went back and took their last one!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I just bought 2 Navigon 7200T's for $110.00 us each new. I really like them but would like to get the maps updated and the 7300T upgrade sounds interesting! Would anyone be interested in passing on some information PLEASE ( Q3 2008 Maps were installed)
    To get updates you need to get/download the application from Navigon called Navigon Fresh. Go to the Navigon.com site and first register your gps. Just click on the red link "Start Here". You can get your Product ID number on the gps: Options -> Service Activation. The activation process happens online. After registering connect your 7200 with a USB cable, run the app Fresh and use the menus to update firmware and/or maps. It will notify you if you need or are eligible for any updates. Before doing any of the above do a total backup of your mSD card. Would not hurt to go buy a 4 GB microSD and put the original in a safe place.

And to clarify a bit more the map update process/program is called FreshMaps. Hopefully you got a free update code so you can activate FreshMaps. I got 2 years of free map updates with my 7200 and Navigon is almost 2 quarters behind on contracted updates. Lots of promises but no action. :evil:

As for the 7300 update you referenced - It is not available to the US market officially from Navigon. People are selling it on auction sites, but for the few here that tried it it was not without problems. See Ubercool's original post in this thread.

This all may be old news for you at this point.....
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @ ubercool: RE FAQ in original post....
    Q. Can I update the Navigon 7200t with Q2 2009 maps?
    A. Unfortunately, updating the 7200t requires instaling new v.7.3.4 firmware, which has a bug causing the 7200t to lose its Landmark 3D view while also losing traffic reports. The landmark view does reportedly return if you can find Q1 2009 maps. Backing up and restoring to firmware 7.3.1 and Q3 2008 maps restores the Landmarks view.
    Perhaps you could edit the above to reflect that Q3 2009 fixed the Landmark 3D view. Unfortunately I have been unable to fix the TMC bug and I still do not get any reports showing "on my route", but I do get global reports.
  • Thanks Spyder63
    I already did the fresh software update but I did not get any free map updatesI have found a freshmaps 3 years for $45.00 online but was waiting to hear back from someone on this site to see if it was still worth it or still working since Navigon has pulled out of the US!

The maps installed on both of my 7200t's is Q3 2008 so I would like to update if possible.

Thanks for the info

SirThurston
  • gboyce2 0 Points
    i received an email from navigon about map udates Q1 2010and software up date7.3.5
    i applied it today and works fine. did not notice anything new!!!
    do you people have some maps gray and others light brown?
    thanks
    geo.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Seems the email went out a month later than the actual availability date. Yes, the map colors have changed and if I am remembering correctly it initially happened at the previous update Q4.2009? Unless you have something else going on. ???

As for changes - hopefully updated POIs as well as maps.
  • catfish77 0 Points
    I need help with the software on my Navigon 7200T. Would someone be willing to email me the basic Navigon software files. I don't need any maps just the installation files so Navigon Fresh will recognize it.

When I bought my Navigon 7200T, it came with 2008 Q3 maps preloaded. A few months ago I bought a subscription to Fresh Maps and easily updated it to 2009 Q3 maps. I recently tried to update it to the 2010 Q1 maps and kept getting an error message that I didn't have enough space on my 2 GB microSD Card. I attempted to back up my files before reformat the card (I thought it was looking for an additional 1.9 GB) in the hopes that it would then be able to install the new maps. Apparently my backup didn't go through or got erased when I updated Navigon Fresh. Now I have no files on the card and when I try to install the latest software release on the card it won't let me because it doesn't see any pre-existing Navigon files on the card. As you are all aware of Navigon's current lack of support in NA, you will undoubtedly understand the predicament I am in. Navigon support has not responded to my email request. Please respond if you would be willing to email me the files and I will give you my email address. Thanks.
  • bigperk 0 Points
    If you updated to Fresh 3.0, it might be worth doing a directory search on C for "backup_", as you may find your old backups are still there but in a different directory. I've just updated Fresh and that's what I found - Fresh 3.0 itself said I had no backups but it seems to use a different directory to the old version, and when I did a search I found the old backups.

Hopefully you are in the same situation and can reload the right files to reset the device. I wish you luck!

By the way, if you are loading all maps via Fresh I think you now need a bigger capacity card, say 4GB - once you've got a Backup you can use Fresh Restore to set up a new card.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Where are you finding/downloading Fresh 3.0? The latest version I am seeing is v1.4.9. That seems a gigantic version leap.
  • catfish77 0 Points
    I finally got it back up and running by going through all the Navigon - "No Windows OS Options" to download a zipped file of the latest map update. I then unzipped the files and deleted half the Canadian maps (like I am ever going to drive to the Nunavut Territories!) to get the total data size to less than 1.90GB (2010 Q1 update is 1.95GB) which is the capacity limit of a formatted 2GB SD card. I then copied the files manually to the card and I am back in business!
  • bigperk 0 Points
    The Fresh 3 update appeared when I started up my original version; I don't know if it's on any of the websites. It might be tied to new options (eg for map downloads) which might depend on what maps Navigon are providing to your market, but TBH I don't know what the differences actually are in 3.0 - I'd be interested to find out!
  • dzzpapi 0 Points
    After installed the NA Q1 2010 Map, no more bootup sound during booting the device. Is it any virus which affected the device ?

Please help ?
  • ubercool 0 Points
    I'm so glad to see that the 7200t is still going strong! Mine is working great, and now that the weather is warm again only restarts once every month or so. :)

Looks like everyone is successfully updating their maps. If so, I will give it a try soon. :mrgreen:

Keep sharing info, folks, we need all the support we can get from all of you! :wink:
  • IaG 0 Points
    I recently bought a 7200T. After updating the software and what not, I tried to buy the Navigon Freshmaps to update my maps but it won't let me. I have searched all over the web to buy it but there doesn't appear to be any store selling it. Can anyone please give me an idea where to buy it or where to download it from?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Since Navigon exited the USA PND business about a year ago those map updates have become hard to find. There have been a couple of people who have reported success finding them on eBay-- but beware, some of those have turned out to not be legit and not work.
  • bigperk 0 Points
    Post on Navigon's FaceBook - you may get an answer (eventually!!). Actually once I did this I got an answer pretty quick. It's
  • IaG 0 Points
    Post on Navigon's FaceBook - you may get an answer (eventually!!). Actually once I did this I got an answer pretty quick. It's
    Thanks. I even signed up with usenet.nl to find the file but couldn't find anything there.
  • ubercool 0 Points
    Hi folks, I just wanted to let you know that I'm taking my 7200t with me on a trip from Atlanta to Las Vegas. Will report on my findings. :)

But I must tell you that I have been following the discussion of the new Garmin nuvi 3790T. It looks like we finally have a GPS capable of replacing the Navigon. The graphics are spectacular and the reality junction view and 3D landscape views are superior to the Navigon's. :shock:

Now I'm just waiting for the price to drop below $400. :roll:
  • I thought most of the Navigon people were overwhelmed by the Motonav T765T ? Many of the regular names from our Navigon forum are posting there. I'll wait for your review on the Garmin 3790T.
  • I don't think anyone will top Navigon graphics in the nearest future, especially Garmin. Their cartoonish artwork has been around for 10 years or more. They may add 3d buildings or terrain, but still, the basics are going to be lame.
  • xx- also Navigon dealt with a different company for their Reality View, Lane Assist, and Speed Limit indicators, the reason Garmin and the others only have these features show up on rare occasions. I don't see why Garmin would (spend money to) switch while the other GPS companies still around are using the same supplier for this information. Garmin knew good features (the others mentioned and lifetime traffic) and copied them from Navigon, then the rest followed.
  • I guess I am one of those people that are going down with the ship. I don't see a reason for replacing a perfectly working GPS. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". Besides, T-mobile offers a Nuvi phone for less than $400 without contract renewal. You can also get an older Iphone and install gps software on it for around $400. Paying that for GPS only does not cut it anymore.
  • bigperk 0 Points
    I have also heard that Garmin's RV IS more realistic, in that it shows an actual photo image of some junstions, rather than an idealised view. But even if that is true, I still reckon that Navigon is the TRUE innovator and will soon make up where ever it sees a competitor trying to steal a march!

But NAVIGATION is the main purpose of a satnav, not pretty graphics. I left Garmin for Navigon a couple of years ago because I was getting VERY unhelpful routing (and bad 'on-the-spot' rerouting for no obvious reason). This still seems to be issue, even with the 3790T, according to a post on the Pocket GPS World forum. So unless you are a Gramin fan anyway, I wouldn't jump Navigon's ship just yet!

As for iPhone navigation systems they are definitely well on their way (and, as it happens, Navigon's application seems to get generally very good reviews). But small screen size is the main issue here for heavy driving use I would say, although a larger vehicle will be able to use the iPad with its bigger screen. But I'm surprised you are having to pay $400 for a comparable satnav in the US - I thought things were cheaper than that over there.

PS, the PGPSW thread I mentioned now throws doubt on whether the 3790T handles user speed cameras properly - there seems to be some difficulty in stopping the Garmin camera file from being the default; definitely fiddly anyway. Still enough about Garmin in a Navigon thread - just intended to be cautionary in case Navigonners get carried away!
  • ubercool 0 Points
    Well folks, I promised an update and here it is from Little Rock, AR.

Today, the Navigon 7200t decided to give up the spirit by continuously rebooting, leaving me in the lurch in Memphis on a cross-country trip from Atlanta to Las Vegas.

So off I went to the nearest Best Buy, which I found using my trusty 3G iPad, which has proven indispensable for travel as a GPS "enhancer." Lo and behold the BB guy, who at first didn't think they had 3790s, was able to pull one out one from the cage (this after the computer said they had five units in stock). My butt was saved. :oops:

I guess it was stupid of me not to have a Navigon back-up for such a mission-critical application, but I'm sooooo glad I was able to replace my beloved Navigon with something as excellent as the Garmin nuvi 3790T.

While the maps are certainly not as detailed as Navigon's, the voice command system alone beats the crap out of 7200t. The screen is also incredibly bright, the addition of the external speaker to boost output provides an amazingly clear voice, and when you use the Australian "Karen" voice, I'm continuously entertained by her pronunciation of street names. :mrgreen:

The only disappointment? In Little Rock, it was unable to find the addresses of two hotels, the Comfort Suites and Hampton Inn:

11 Crossings Court, Little Rock, AR 72205
    320 River Market Ave., Little Rock, AR 72201

I wonder if I can revive my Navigon enough to find out if it has those two addresses. All in all, I can say that, like everyone here, I still prefer the Navigon interface and map detail with side street names. Garmin's rather sparse maps are no match.

But in terms of reliability, speed, clarity of voice, ability to actually be able to use my iPhone's Bluetooth capability and the incredible voice command system makes this the best replacement for Navigon ever.

And did I mention that you can use the GPS in both vertical and regular horizonal mode? I like the vertical mode for inter-city travel, while the horizontal mode works best in cities with a lot of turns. Can't beat that folks! :wink:

I guess I'm now gone from this forum forever. I was hoping that my Navigon would make the voyage, but when you're suddenly stuck in the middle of America with a cranky device, you're better off with something that works.
  • sounds like you are a "new gizmo" junkie and were looking for an excuse to get the new Garmin. You have Iphone, Ipad, Navigon, Garmin. That is what we know of. Keep the economy alive, dude.
  • I think he also has the Motonav 765 GPS
  • ubercool 0 Points
    Haha, yea I have a lot of gear. Today I was able to do an A-B comparison between the nuvi 3790T and the 7200t, which I was able to revive by charging it overnight.

Except for the untimely rebooting, which happened about eight times today, the Navigon was still able to best nuvi 3790T. Despite having 2011 maps, the Navigon was able to get me near a new address in Oklahoma City, which the nuvi was not able to find at all.

Unlike the 7200t, the 3790T will not try to get you close. In fact, if it can't find the address, it will suggest something completely wrong.

Also, I posted a picture of the lack of junction view on my nuvi on another forum. I have yet to see any, so it's either a defective unit or I'm doing something wrong, but since there is no setting to control junction view, I don't know what that could be.

All in all, the Navigon remains hard to beat, but we knew that already. :wink:
  • takawira 0 Points
    I accidentally deleted my phonelink folder. Can someone please make a zip file and send me this folder to destaks@hotmail.com? Thanks in advance.