This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is the 310 best for "panorama 3d terrain" view? [H

teegunn 0 Points
I have been researching for the best GPS available that incorporates a true "panoramic 3d terrain" view option. It seems the 310 is one of the only - if not the only - GPS to offer this option. I think the Navigon 8100 may have a similar 3d terrain view, but Navigon is not supported in the US any longer from what I have read.

So my question: Currently is there a better option than the Ipaq 310 for offering 3d terrain view like I am looking for? Or is the Ipaq 310 about the only option?

Thanks!

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    I think the Navigon 8100 may have a similar 3d terrain view, but Navigon is not supported in the US any longer from what I have read.
    Neither is that HP model.
  • Yeah Tim, that kinda sucks. The two models that have the viewing mode I want are dead in the water it seems.
  • It is the iGO8 software running on the HP 310 which did what you want.

The software is still developed and available (as iGO8 in Europe and OCN8 in USA) for various Windows Mobile PDA devices and Smartphones (e.g. see http://www.navngo.com/pages/global/eng/igo_8_supported_devices ) and also available on various dedicated navigation devices (e.g. see https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/devicessupport )

Europe
    http://www.navngo.com/pages/global/eng/igo_8_description
    USA
    http://www.oncoursenavigator.com/
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    It is the iGO8 software running on the HP 310 which did what you want.
    I have an iPAQ 310 and a couple other WinCE devices which I run OziExplorer on, so I realize there are various hacks to get things working. But looking at the OCN link, it does not indicate any support for the iPAQ 310: http://www.oncoursenavigator.com/ocn8_supported_devices.aspx

It also says. "Does not work with iPhone, Palm OS, BlackBerry OS, Symbian OS, ALL Personal Navigation Devices running WinCE.NET."

That's pretty awkwardly written, but I take it to mean that the software does NOT work under WinCE. What is involved with getting it to run on the 310? It sounds like they won't help you if there are problems since it's not a supported device.

So I'm not sure that it makes sense to buy a discontinued product like the iPAQ and then spend $80 for unsupported software.
  • I was indicating to teegunn it is still possible to buy devices other than the iPAQ 310 that run the software and give the "panoramic 3d terrain" he was interested in - his question in his last paragraph.

It is possible to buy map updates for the iPAQ 310 from naviextras (they've just released the 2Q USA maps and I assume they will come with updated 3d terrain data.
  • Johnb thanks a lot for the replies. I am likely going to be buying the Ipaq 310 once I settle on the place that has the best price. I'm not floating in money, but for about a $100 it is worth the risk of investment even if I don't like the unit once I get it. Worst case scenario, I would have a $100 MP3/MP4 player for my vehicle. :)

Again, I much appreciate the info and have already browsed the links you provided. Thanks.
  • According to https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/catalog?salesPackageCode=11034&view=item&priceListCode=4671462742523046 they now charge separately for the 3D pack.

I wonder if it is possible to use the 3D pack with old maps?
  • According to https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/catalog?salesPackageCode=11034&view=item&priceListCode=4671462742523046 they now charge separately for the 3D pack.

I wonder if it is possible to use the 3D pack with old maps?
    That is correct. Maps, 3D, POIs and Safety Camera files are sold separately.

While it may be technically possible to use new 3D files with older maps, I wonder why you would want to. The original maps in the HP are several years old now. I would update my maps (and did a few months ago) before I invested in new 3D files.
  • I purchased the Ipaq 310 (will be here thursday). In my research further into this unit it appears there is a lot of modding/hacking one can do to improve this unit. It is running IGO 8, but it is a scaled down version from all accounts. It seems it should be possible to get the windows CE to run the full version of IGO 8 however. There are also several nice mods/hacks available (if one so desires to dig into the technical aspect of the unit) via software hacking. I will use the unit for a few weeks before I decide to try any of these hacks, but from what I have seen of some screenshots there are some real improvements that can be made.

It really is too bad that HP didn't allow the user to utilize the power of this unit however. It seems almost every GPS manufacturer feels the need to scale down/dumb down their units. I have also been looking into a Viliv X70 UMPC which would run IGO 8 nicely along with being a solid standalone UMPC. However I would be spending $580 plus have to purchase IGO 8 to do this. This would probably be the best option that I have seen yet in my research for a powerful GPS that can run a true 3d lancscape view GPS software with the added bonus of being a standalone UMPC. Wouldn't surprise me if I ended up buying one of these in the next few months.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    That's cool Tee. Be sure to keep us updated. Will be interested in your impressions of the iPAQ. As I mentioned elsewhere, mine has been collecting dust for quite some time.
  • I know you aren't the 310's biggest fan. In researching and from what you have posted, I understand why. Until I get some actual miles under my belt using the unit, I can't give a review yet. It's probable that I will eventually do some software hacks to the unit that allow better screen views and skins, but again I'll wait until I have used the unit a while before digging into that. I'll definitely update my thoughts as time goes along using the unit.
  • I also may try using Oziexplorer on the unit at somepoint too like you have Boyd. It looks like a very nice GPS program.
  • Yes the iPAQ 300 series is very hackable. The question is, do you really want to. I re-enabled pedestrian and other modes that are built into the software, but left the rest intact. All I wanted to do was unlock what HP locked. Beyond that, I left it alone and just updated data files via naviextras. What you say about it running a scaled down version of iGO 8 is not true. It is the full version, but with modified .dll files and such to run on CE. I am not aware of anything that might be missing from the WM version of the software. At some point map updates may not be available as the trend is to move to maps formatted for the new iGO platform (Amigo?). Perhaps if there is enough interest, naviextras may continue to offer new maps in the old format. Time will tell.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    One of the 310's nicest features - the high resolution screen - can also be a bit of an annoyance when working with Win CE and third party apps. The operating system scales fonts the the native 800x480 screen as though it was actually the size of a laptop. The result is that they are really tiny and hard to read. The soft keyboard is teeny-tiny and a bit hard to use.

OziExplorer can be a pain with those little tiny menus. What is really needed is a larger system font I guess. I haven't kept up with all the hacks, maybe somebody has a solution now, but they didn't a couple years ago.

That's why I stopped using the iPAQ with OziExplorer in the car. You just can't operate the menus when they are that tiny. The newer versions of OziExplorer will scale the icons double-sized, which helps, but any dialogs using the system fonts are still too small.

Now I run it on a Maestro 5310 which is a 5" screen at 480x272. Even though the resolution is lower, it's much more practical for auto use because menus are actually large enough to work with your bare fingers.
  • Got my unit today and after messing around with it for a while, I can see why some are frustrated with it. I also can tell that I will likely hack the Igo software, although not to a great extent as you suggest. I have seen some hacks on another forum that will allow a custom skin to be used. I don't have/know the terminology to correctly descibe what I want to do, but in essence I want to make the top and bottom bars transparent and include customized items (like elevation, etc). I also would like to tweak the zoom settings on the 3d view to allow separate zoom and angle shift options that the 310 doesn't currently allow. My biggest issue will be digging into the exact way of doing these hacks since I am a basic novice at doing so. I have hacked gaming software, etc a bit on a PC, so I think I can eventually figure it out for the 310 software also. I know there are a couple of forums that have basic guides to doing these, so I guess it's time to study up on them. Also I may need to figure out if I need to do the online updates, although I believe HP does not host these any longer. Many questions that I will have to research to find the answers.

Yes the iPAQ 300 series is very hackable. The question is, do you really want to. I re-enabled pedestrian and other modes that are built into the software, but left the rest intact. All I wanted to do was unlock what HP locked. Beyond that, I left it alone and just updated data files via naviextras. What you say about it running a scaled down version of iGO 8 is not true. It is the full version, but with modified .dll files and such to run on CE. I am not aware of anything that might be missing from the WM version of the software. At some point map updates may not be available as the trend is to move to maps formatted for the new iGO platform (Amigo?). Perhaps if there is enough interest, naviextras may continue to offer new maps in the old format. Time will tell.
  • Boyd, have you ever considered using a UMPC like the Viliv X70 I mentioned? I believe it would run oziexplorer nicely on it's 7" LCD. I probably will eventually go this route, but I am going to settle in with this ipaq 310 for a bit before doing anything.
    One of the 310's nicest features - the high resolution screen - can also be a bit of an annoyance when working with Win CE and third party apps. The operating system scales fonts the the native 800x480 screen as though it was actually the size of a laptop. The result is that they are really tiny and hard to read. The soft keyboard is teeny-tiny and a bit hard to use.

OziExplorer can be a pain with those little tiny menus. What is really needed is a larger system font I guess. I haven't kept up with all the hacks, maybe somebody has a solution now, but they didn't a couple years ago.

That's why I stopped using the iPAQ with OziExplorer in the car. You just can't operate the menus when they are that tiny. The newer versions of OziExplorer will scale the icons double-sized, which helps, but any dialogs using the system fonts are still too small.

Now I run it on a Maestro 5310 which is a 5" screen at 480x272. Even though the resolution is lower, it's much more practical for auto use because menus are actually large enough to work with your bare fingers.
  • johnb 0 Points
    teegunn, you'll probably find all you need at http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp? TOPIC_ID=101001&whichpage=1 - only 200 pages or so! Go to print mode and you can search it.
    Make sure you have good backups and beware the engineering mode as you can easily "brick" you iPAQ
  • Thanks for the info, Johnb. I saw that thread in some of my previous research, and read several pages. Gonna take me a while to sift through and figure it all out. But I kinda enjoy a new challenge, so it's something I'll likely do. At least installing some new skins because the stock ones aren't the greatest IMHO.
    teegunn, you'll probably find all you need at http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp? TOPIC_ID=101001&whichpage=1 - only 200 pages or so! Go to print mode and you can search it.
    Make sure you have good backups and beware the engineering mode as you can easily "brick" you iPAQ
  • johnb 0 Points
    I use the skin from Simima on p118 of the gpspassion - it is still available for download - however I did re-instate the big arrow.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Boyd, have you ever considered using a UMPC like the Viliv X70 I mentioned?
    I did have a look at that model after the link was posted and it looks pretty cool. In the past I've looked at a few which seemed very overpriced at around $1,000 but the Viliv costs a bit less.