This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon ETA Problem. Is it just me?

lordhamster 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
I've got my iPhone set to 24 hour time. Somehow all my Navigon ETAs appear wrong.

For example, lets say I'll be arriving at my destination at 13:30 (1:00pm for you non -24 hour types).

The ETA shows "01:30" which would be 1AM.

Anyone else having this problem? Did I just miss a setting someplace?

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    Are you certain you are not confusing ETA with the estimated travel time remaining? I can't tell you how many times I've done that. Tapping on the number will change between ETA and ETR.

If not-- I haven't noticed that problem.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    For example, lets say I'll be arriving at my destination at 13:30 (1:00pm for you non -24 hour types).
    Actually that would be 1:30PM for us non-24 hour types... :lol:
  • For example, lets say I'll be arriving at my destination at 13:30 (1:00pm for you non -24 hour types).

Actually that would be 1:30PM for us non-24 hour types... :lol:
    Thats what I said, pay attention. :)
  • Are you certain you are not confusing ETA with the estimated travel time remaining? I can't tell you how many times I've done that. Tapping on the number will change between ETA and ETR.

If not-- I haven't noticed that problem.
    I'll have to try it this afternoon. I'm pretty sure I'm not confusing the two, but I'll double check and get back to you.
  • Well, I'm not Crazy: Here is the evidence

Touching the number just went to a 2-d view of the map BTW.

My ETA was 15:00 but the Navigon software showed 03:00. Also, if you look at the miles left, clearly this is not a time remaining I'm seeing.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Maybe I'm missing something simple. (I've been having an off day as dhn and gatorguy can attest to. :))

The time coming from the iPhone shows 14:33, which in Ohio would be 2:33 pm. You have 24 miles to go in the trip, and by the looks of it you are about to enter an interstate.

The icon showing a clock and a flag means "time at destination", in this case 3:00. A 3:00pm arrival time sounds reasonable based on 24 miles left of (probably) mostly highway driving. (27 minutes.)
  • Maybe I'm missing something simple. (I've been having an off day as dhn and gatorguy can attest to. :))

The time coming from the iPhone shows 14:33, which in Ohio would be 2:33 pm. You have 24 miles to go in the trip, and by the looks of it you are about to enter an interstate.

The icon showing a clock and a flag means "time at destination", in this case 3:00. A 3:00pm arrival time sounds reasonable based on 24 miles left of (probably) mostly highway driving. (27 minutes.)
    Tim, the ETA of 3:00pm is correct and turned out to be right on the money. But when the phone is set to 24 hour time, the correct readout would be 15:00 not 03:00. 03:00 is 3am. Thats what my gripe is about.

If it said 3:00PM that would be fine. As it is now its confusing. TomTom does not have this problem.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Okay, so the issue is simply that the Navigon app isn't looking at the iPhone preference you have set for time format, and is using a default time format. So the ETA is "correct", just not in the format you want to see. So you want Navigon to add a feature to show the time in the format you have set for the iPhone. Do I have it right now? :)
  • Okay, so the issue is simply that the Navigon app isn't looking at the iPhone preference you have set for time format, and is using a default time format. So the ETA is "correct", just not in the format you want to see. So you want Navigon to add a feature to show the time in the format you have set for the iPhone. Do I have it right now? :)
    No I still think you are missing the point.

There are two valid ways of displaying the ETA.

1. 15:00
    2. 3:00PM

The current way they display the ETA is ambiguous.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    No I still think you are missing the point. [...] The current way they display the ETA is ambiguous.
    Since it doesn't display in 24 hr format, if it says 3:00 and I can't figure out if the intent is AM or PM then either I'm too drunk too drive or on a drive that is so long the ETA probably doesn't matter much. :)
  • Maybe I'm just being too anal on this. :)
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I respect that you wish for it to display in 24 hr time. And I agree when first looking at it the field is ambiguous. But once it is clear that it is in 12 hr time format without an AM/PM seperator, then the ETA isn't really "wrong" as in "there is a bug", just perhaps in bad form.

I agree that the AM/PM should be there because without the label it isn't terribly obvious if the field is showing a clock time or a duration of time. But with an AM/PM designation it would be clear they are talking about time of day and not a duration of time.