This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Does the traffic updates still work on Navigons?

blackngoldrules 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Amazon.com is selling a traffic update card for really cheap but I was wondering if Navigon has stopped that service as well? I don't want to buy it until I know for sure the service still works though their PNAs. I'm going on a trip in a week and would like to use it if it works. Thanks.

Comments

• Spyder63 331 Points
    Worked on my 7200t last week on a 1100 mile R/T from Central Pa to Fairmount, IN.

Although after either the last firmware update or Q2 2009 map update it no longer lists traffic problems "on current route", but that has nothing to do with your service still available question and it may not affect your particular model anyway. It does still show ALL traffic incidents and it is not too difficult to figure out which are on your route when you look at the traffic incidents listing.
  • yes the traffic still works. as far as it not listing on your current route that was with a bad .dll from q1 2009 update on. all i did was replace that .dll with the one from my q3 2008 update and traffic works with current route again.
  • Well, I have a 2000s so I guess I'm SOL. It says it's only for 2100/2120. I was hoping I could find this for my model but I guess it's not possible. I knew it wasn't offered with the model but I thought maybe I could buy it separate and activate it. Guess not.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    yes the traffic still works. as far as it not listing on your current route that was with a bad .dll from q1 2009 update on. all i did was replace that .dll with the one from my q3 2008 update and traffic works with current route again.
    ovrclckd - thanks for that info. I had not heard that was the solution for the problem. What specific .dll do I look for and exchange? I have not explored the files yet so perhaps it is obvious, but at this point a little direction would be appreciated.

Any insights, i.e. solution, as to why Landscape View (3D buildings) stopped working with recent updates?
  • All you need to do is copy the TmcHal.dll from the Navigon folder from your Q3 2008 backup to the Navigon folder on your sd card. If you don't have that file just pm me and I can send you the file.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Thanks - I had my backup and have done the xfer. I probably won't get a chance to test it until tomorrow. Appreciate the assist.
  • Can I get traffic updates for my 2000s or is it not possible? Like I said in my last post above, I know they don't offer it free with the unit but I was hoping I could pay for it separate and activate it for my unit. Is that possible for the 2000s? Thanks.
  • ovrclckd,

I seem to be prevented from sending a PM to ask you to please send me a copy of the "TmcHal.dll from the Navigon folder from your Q3 2008". I only recently acquired my Navigon 2100Max. And, while I have backed it up, it is very confusing - with their very poor support - to understand if a new traffic card I bought will work. I would appreciate the DLL.

Thank you! :D
  • I have a 5100 and after the 2q09 update I lost my TMC (icon just flashes on/off), the new 3q09 update didn't correct this either. I read about the 08 TmcHal.dll that can correct this. Could someone send this to me or any other correction?
  • Thanks for the dll, I will test it later. I placed it in the MN6 file (lots of individual files there to include different type dll's). There is a TMC folder located inside there but that has the signs and stuff. Did I place the file in the right location?
  • With MN7 It goes in the NAVIGON folder. Sounds like you are using MN6. With MN6 I'm not 100% sure but I think thats right.
  • Does anyone have a 2000s with traffic updates on it? I've been asking for months now if it's possible to get traffic with the 2000s and nobody seems to know. I wish I could at least find out if it's possible, and if so, how I can get it for my unit. Thanks.
  • My 2100max seem to be fine with traffic updates.
  • I don't know if you are able to receive traffic on the 2090s or 2000s.

While much of the hardware is similar to the 2200t (check the manual for either one), it clearly does not indicate whether or not it is possible for the traffic portion. My guess would be that the 2000s or 2090 might not have the traffic receiver but they definately do not have the external antenna that is built into the power supply of the 2200t.

Bottom line, if the 2090s and the 2009 could receive traffic throught the GPS, they still would need some type of external antenna from eBay or some other sources (old 2100?).

Just a thought-no way of proving my theory either way unless someone tries to do it!
  • I do indeed have MN6. It is what has always been in my 5100. I had a chance to test it today, and same old thing, the icon just flashes red. I just checked it out. I was able to go to options on the bottom of the screen, when the traffic icon lit up, i hit it. It then brings up the Traffic Events page. Then down to options again, then TMC settings. For a brief second, in the frequency area, it said, A TMC Receiver Coul..., then it automaticall goes to a freq. The strength bars do not light up. Did one of my updates knock out the tmc receiver? I lost the ability to use tmc after 2q09 update. What can be done? Help...
  • Ken-55 0 Points
    edited December 2009
    I have a 5100 and after the 2q09 update I lost my TMC (icon just flashes on/off), the new 3q09 update didn't correct this either. I read about the 08 TmcHal.dll that can correct this. Could someone send this to me or any other correction?
    I have two 5100's . . . never had a problem with the traffic not working at all, just locking onto a frequency. I'd try downloading the software from scratch and see if that helps.
  • Does anyone have a 2000s with traffic updates on it? I've been asking for months now if it's possible to get traffic with the 2000s and nobody seems to know. I wish I could at least find out if it's possible, and if so, how I can get it for my unit. Thanks.
    The Navigon website support section has access to manuals . . . the 2000S and 2200T share a manual. According to that manual, traffic is only available on the 2200T.

I've googled and looked around several other sites . . . apparently the 2000S was considered an "entry-level" unit and Navigon left out the traffic availability.
  • Did one of my updates knock out the tmc receiver? I lost the ability to use tmc after 2q09 update. What can be done? Help...
    On occasion, I've lost some of my settings during "updates".

Check out page 68 of the 5100 manual (available in the support section of navigon.com). It describes the various traffic station/frequency settings. I do remember having trouble getting my 5100 to lock on and hold a station . . . it just kept jumping to the next station, never getting complete info. Honestly, I forget what I did that fixed it, maybe someone else will jump in?

Also, are you using the traffic antenna?? Without it, you're just asking for trouble.

The Navigon website support section has access to manuals . . . the 2000S and 2200T share a manual. According to that manual, traffic is only available on the 2200T.

I've googled and looked around several other sites . . . apparently the 2000S was considered an "entry-level" unit and Navigon left out the traffic availability.
    OK, thanks for checking on that for me. I have that manual, but I just thought that meant that the 2200T had the traffic included while you'd have to purchase it extra for the 2000s. Well, I guess I can try and get a 2090s off of ebay. If I can find a fairly cheap one then I'll just sell my 2000s. Thanks.
  • Actually the 2090s and the 2000 are the same unit.
  • blackngoldrules 0 Points
    edited December 2009
    OK, thanks. I need the 2200T then.
  • The Radio Shack 2090s does include a 2 year map update, not lifetime traffic update. Only the 2200t has the free lifetime traffic.
  • I am using the traffic antenna. My frequencies don't jump around. It just stays on 87.5. I have tried all 3 settings. I remember that before I had the problem, I would just leave it in auto mode and it would find the freq. It should not be hard because I live in a larger area and others on this site have had no problem. Other then the TMC issues, the GPS works fine. I miss the TMC mode. Any other ideas?
  • Any other ideas?
    Try what I first recommended . . . get a blank card and reload the software & maps and when you set up the traffic, manually find a strong signal and once it locks on and gets traffic info then change it to automatic (sounds strange, but that worked for me once).

Good luck!
  • The .dll to fix traffic for MN7 is TmcHall.dll but for MN6 its gpstmc.dll
  • Could you please send me gpstmc.dll, if you have it. I will give it a try with mn6. Thanks.
  • Ya just send me your e-mail