This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Phantom reboots at exact same location

patruns 10 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Ok, this is a new one for me. Just started happening over the last month or so.

When traveling east over the Goethals Bridge my HP reboots at the exact same place..... under the steel structure towards the end. Does not happen anywhere else and does not happen going west. Anyone else traveling between New Jersey and Staten Island experience this?

Comments

• patruns 10 Points
    Wow, where are my NJ buddies? Boyd, go take a drive! :D
  • mmsstar 96 Points
    ....lost if their GPS rebooted and sent them who knows where?
  • Not sure if this has anything at all to do with your situation, but...
    A few months ago while listening to Car Talk on NPR, a caller stated that her tire inflation sensor went haywire at the same location every time she passed it. Turns out she was near the NSA headquarters near DC and the microwave activity from all of the antennas was identified as the likely problem.
    Perhaps a new antenna has been erected near your problem location?
  • patruns 10 Points
    Interesting theory, but I wonder why no problem on the return trip..............
  • Tim 1467 Points
    My Dash Express used to frequently reboot when I crossed state lines. :roll:
  • patruns 10 Points
    My Dash Express used to frequently reboot when I crossed state lines. :roll:
    All or just one location? Could there be some intense signal interference causing this? I am thinking it may not be my unit at all.
  • Tim 1467 Points
    Only one location that I know of-- I'm not sure I crossed a state line with that GPS in any other location. (I-95 between Maine/New Hampshire.)
  • patruns 10 Points
    While I have only noticed this recently, someone mentioned the possibility of the new maps being corrupted in the NY area. I updated mine in June and am pretty sure I used it without incident after that.

Does that make any sense? Note, I am not in routing mode when this happens. Just have the unit on. So I can get safety camera warnings, use the BT for the phone and look at the pretty picture. :D
  • Tim 1467 Points
    It could be something with the map-- that one will probably be hard to track down.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Interesting theory, but I wonder why no problem on the return trip..............

IF a new antenna is involved it may be a very directional one such as a WiFi Yagi. Coming from the other direction on the backside way less RF. Also it's amazing how many RF leaks are out there from so many sources that do not get reported. FCC enforcement is back in full swing with the recent appointment of Laura Smith as Chief Enforcement Officer. Many RFI-related letters are sent to energy providers in the US. Perhaps you could report the situation to her. It may be something the FCC is aware of and you might get an answer. Email: laura.smith@fcc.gov
  • patruns 10 Points
    Thanks for the info Spyder. I sent a note to her. I'll post the results if I get a response.
  • patruns 10 Points
    I actually received a response back from her indicating she would forward to the proper department. Coincidently, it did not reboot last saturday. Maybe someone already discovered the issue?