The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Magellan Maestro 3100 won't charge

My Magellan Maestro 3100 won't charge any more. As soon as I turn it on it gives me a message that the battery is too low and it turns off. It does this even after several hours of charging. I have never tried to update it, so I'm pretty sure this isn't a firmware problem. I have tried the reset button as well. It doesn't fix the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

I found 2 possible explanations while searching the web.

Explanation #1: The DC power port is broken.

Explanation #2: The battery will no longer hold a charge.

Do either of these explanations make sense? If both are plausible, how can I determine which one is causing the problem? Has anyone replaced these parts themselves? How do I do it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• If the unit works while plugged in I would rule out the port and concentrate on the battery not holding a charge.
  • The unit exhibits the same behavior when plugged in.
  • Sounds like a bad port or a short somewhere then. If you can carefully take it apart I would look for a broken connection first. The unit is not really worth sending out for repair.
  • If a Lithium battery goes completely bad it can essentially become a short circuit and cause your unit to behave as described. If you are adventurous, you can open it up and see if replacing the battery resovles this problem However, as Patruns has stated, given the age and cost of replacing the unit, it is not worth investing a whole lot of cash into it.
  • The unit seemed completely dead at one point but was able to turn on after I had charged it for several hours. (but as described it immediately shut down due to low battery.) Based on the fact that it recieved enough power through the port to at least turn on I'm going to assume the power port is still good. That leaves me with the battery being bad.

I'm going to replace the battery. I found a YouTube video that walks you through the process.

Link to the video:

I've already ordered a battery at the cost of $17.88 from the following web site: http://www.etronicspal.com/132800.html

I'll be getting the battery in 5 days or so. Once I get the battery and attempt the replacement I'll post my results. If it goes well maybe this post will help someone else out...
  • If you can repair this unit for less than $20, then I agree it is worth a shot.
  • 3100 does not need a battery to operate. there are rare occasions where a faulty battery will prevent it, but it is rare.

this is very common problem with this and many model magellans.

make sure green light is on the car charger and let it plugged in for awhile, then hold the power button (up to ten seconds) until it starts..if that fails

the following magellan 2000, 2200t, 2500, 3000, 3100, 3140, 4000, 4040, 4050, 5310 and the 6000 are known to have faulty dc connectors...if your magellan gps is not charging or will not power up, its most likely the dc power port...

you can get help to repaired it, here
    or buy the port here

if you need further help, just let me know.

bill

bill
  • Couldn't find any clickable links in your post
    3100 does not need a battery to operate. there are rare occasions where a faulty battery will prevent it, but it is rare.

this is very common problem with this and many model magellans.

make sure green light is on the car charger and let it plugged in for awhile, then hold the power button (up to ten seconds) until it starts..if that fails

the following magellan 2000, 2200t, 2500, 3000, 3100, 3140, 4000, 4040, 4050, 5310 and the 6000 are known to have faulty dc connectors...if your magellan gps is not charging or will not power up, its most likely the dc power port...

you can get help to repaired it, here
    or buy the port here

if you need further help, just let me know.

bill

bill
  • if you mean to aquire the dc port or to have your magellan repaired, you can get them here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290364220675&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
  • The following advice pertains to the following magellan gps systems.

Magellan 800, 860, 2000, 2200t, 2500, 3000, 3050, 3100, 3140, 4000, 4040, 4050, 5310 and 6000t

assuming your car charger is working (the little green light is on) and your magellan still wont start up after holding the power button while its plugged in for up to ten seconds and still does not start..read below

this is actually a very common problem with these magellan power ports...they are poor quality from the factory and always and i mean always fail..the new ports that you find on ebay are 100% better then the factory port. sometimes they can simply be resolder but often the connector itself breaks

if your able to replace that power port yourself, you can get one HERE, if not, just ask for help.

due to some dubious "experts" on fixya, im not permitted to help you directly, but please follow the link above to get further help.

let me know if you need more help or info

if the above link is not working, you can either search ebay for magellan power port or copy and paste this address

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290385190178&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Bill

Please Support Our Troops
  • I have a bad power cord connector and have acquired a new one that I need to install. The old connector fell off the board. How do I connect the new connector? Does it need to be soldered or glued on? If soldered, how do I solder it?

Thanks,
    Rock