This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Estimated time of arrival incorrect after clocks changed

Richdem 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Hi I have a 2120 Max & live in Canada, ever since our clocks went back last weekend my ETA is now 1 hour too far ahead.

Does anyone know how to correct this problem

Many thanks in advance

Richard

Comments

• alfajerry 0 Points
    Hi Richard,
    Very late reply I know, but I have same problem with my 2150Max, and can't see how to change the 'internal clock', so I set the 2150 to the time remaining to destination which remains accurate.
    Better than nothing.

Jerry
  • bigperk 0 Points
    I assumed it got the time from the GPS satellites - maybe it's not updating it. Might be worth a reset to try and force it to pick up the time again.
  • alfajerry 0 Points
    Do the satellites care about all the various daylight saving time changes around the world?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The satellites don't know know anything about DST changes, nor timezones for that matter.
  • bigperk 0 Points
    Well, apart from the fact that my Navigon changes time automatically, see this extract from Garmin about the GPS
    A GPS signal contains three different bits of information - a pseudorandom code, ephemeris data and almanac data. The pseudorandom code is simply an I.D. code that identifies which satellite is transmitting information. You can view this number on your Garmin GPS unit's satellite page, as it identifies which satellites it's receiving.

Ephemeris data, which is constantly transmitted by each satellite, contains important information about the status of the satellite (healthy or unhealthy), current date and time. This part of the signal is essential for determining a position.

The almanac data tells the GPS receiver where each GPS satellite should be at any time throughout the day. Each satellite transmits almanac data showing the orbital information for that satellite and for every other satellite in the system.
    So I am surprised about the comments made. I agree GPS may not track DST directly, but if it doesn't incorporate a DST adjustment, I would still expect the Navigon to be able to get the base time from the GPS and adjust according to timezone/DST.

Still, if that's wrong, I apologise for misleading anyone - I only meant to help!
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I agree GPS may not track DST directly, but if it doesn't incorporate a DST adjustment, I would still expect the Navigon to be able to get the base time from the GPS and adjust according to timezone/DST.
    Correct. The GPS may know about timezones and DST, but the satellites simply tell the GPS universal time.
  • alfajerry 0 Points
    >>my Navigon changes time automatically

Which model do you have?
  • bigperk 0 Points

Quote off the Navigon Question & Answer pages for "GPS-Status"
    In the options menu GPS status (or if you click with other versions on the satellite symbol) the information about the GPS receiption is displayed for you:
    GMT (Greenwich Mean Time):
    Mean solar time in the prime meridian. This time represents the relation between the displayed time and the calculation of the actual time and a possible arrival time. The actual time (time zones, summer time winter time) are taken from the map material data.
    That's why I was thinking a reset might help - it seems as if your unit isn't updating time when it should.
  • alfajerry 0 Points
    A much newer satnav than my 2150 or the original poster's 2120.
    Perhaps they've improved their time handling.
    DST used to be a big problem for lots of satnavs.