This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 1.3 update out.

caryrae 92 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
-Navigon Traffic Live in U.S. (in app purchase)
-Extended map area search after destination input
-Launching the app in landscape mode is possible now

Comments

• wooo hooo!!! Finally Traffic!!

Anyone using it yet? How is it?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Caryrae, whose traffic is it? Inrix?
  • Just downloaded it and activated traffic. I'll play with it tomorrow and report back.
  • There is no mention in the App about what traffic it uses.

I did find this on the internet,
    Traffic Live employs crowd-sourced real-time speed data from over 1.3 million drivers including other Navigon app users, commercial fleets such as trucks and taxis, and regular drivers with a GPS system. The feature also utilizes an intelligent fusion of information from traffic cameras, road sensors and conventional traffic messages coming from ClearChannel’s Total Traffic Network.

Navigon Traffic Live is offered as an In App Purchase for $24.99. The app can be purchased for an introductory price of $19.99, till next four weeks.
  • Well, so far I can't really comment on traffic. The road and ramp closures that Clear Channel reports around here are not shown, however the traffic conditions to pop up around rush hour. No clue as to how reliable they are. Most of my traffic reports are road closures in Pittsburgh (I'm in Cleveland).

I'll have to gain more experience with the traffic before I make a judgement.

As for the App, well it's almost useable. If they would just throw in the ability to avoid a road on the route I'd be happy.
  • I still consider this the top gps app for the phone and the live traffic function works quite well. I've used this app since the 1.1 version and have really been impresssed, however there are a few negatives to 1.3 First the time to launch the app is now noticeably longer, the time to gps acquisition is also longer and certain other functions are slower as well. I believe this may be due to the process of acquiring traffic info. While the app is open you will notice the spinning activity gear/wheel of the phone at the top of the screen intermittently, I'm assuming it's checking for traffic info during these periods. I've also noticed a few extra occurrences of losing the gps signal with the red bar at the top. I don't know if that has any connection to traffic or not.

All in all I've found this to be as useful as my TT stand alone devices but due to my original complaint of the street names and icons being too small to read easily and now the change to a slower functioning app I'm a little less enthusiastic but I'm still using it as my main navigation device.
    John
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    This quote would indicate they're using Inrix data, based on the reference to the number of probes:

The App will be using a crowd sourced + probe traffic gathering solution that has about 1.3 million probes out in the market. The App is also designed to monitor traffic data and send back anonymous reports from your traffic conditions too.

The "1.3 million probes" was mentioned in an Inrix press release just a few weeks ago.
  • Are you using a 3GS or a 3G? On my 3G I find the UI of Navigon definitely slower than TomTom, but even TomTom runs like a pig compared to the AT&T Navigator app.
  • The traffic setting does give you the option of sending your location and speed data. This can be turned off but is on by default. This also may be what the spinning gear that I've noticed is doing.
    John
  • Are you using a 3GS or a 3G? On my 3G I find the UI of Navigon definitely slower than TomTom, but even TomTom runs like a pig compared to the AT&T Navigator app.
    I have a 3Gs and I found the app to be as fast or faster at launch and signal acquisition than my TT 930 until this update. It's definitely slower than before. And I rarely got the red bar before, seeing it a lot now.
    John
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    The traffic setting does give you the option of sending your location and speed data. This can be turned off but is on by default. This also may be what the spinning gear that I've noticed is doing.
    John
    Yes, by default your travel stats are being sent back to navigon/Inrix, which could well be the reason you've seen an impact on app speeds. Makes sense.
  • >>Yes, by default your travel stats are being sent back to navigon/Inrix, which could well be the reason you've seen an impact on app speeds. Makes sense.<<
    I guess this would qualify as "Live Traffic"! Beats $10 a month.
    John
  • Tim 1481 Points
    This quote would indicate they're using Inrix data, based on the reference to the number of probes:
    Navigon confirmed today that Inrix is their partner for traffic on the iPhone in North America.