This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

5100 max - 100 bucks on e.b. - Too good to be true?

kmann 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I am looking to purchase a 5100 Max on E-b re-furb..
Buy it now $100, $5.00 shipping.
I have not owned a GPS unit other than a chartplotter and a Garmin E-Trex.
With what I have read, the 5100 Max looks like a great unit with free for life traffic.
I live near Minneapolis. I travel in Ca. and Fl. and aruond the midwest.
Will the traffic even work?

I am very concerned with Navigon's pull out of the U.S. market.
Is there support ok?
It looks like a deal too good to be true - which means_____

Any thoughts???

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Given that Navigon has pulled out of the US market, I wouldn't purchase one today. Support is almost non-existant with many emails to their support department not replied to. You could gamble and it might work out okay-- but I wouldn't do it.
  • I second that! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I loved my 8100T, and though I could have gotten a refurbed 7200T (still a great unit!) at a good price, the notion of no map updates and 0 tech support steered me away. I ended up with a Nuvi 765T and am happy with it so far (though there are many things I miss compared to my 8100T *sigh* :cry:)
  • For that price you could find a used 7200T since they were selling new for $200 a year ago.
  • kmann 0 Points
    For that price you could find a used 7200T since they were selling new for $200 a year ago.
    I ended up with a TomTom XL 340S for $130 (new) on E.B. Free shipping too. Ad stated new but I am wondering if it is re-furbished.
    It looks like the 340s has it's share of problems but still looks like a good product and good deal. Saw it at big box for $240
  • For that price you could find a used 7200T since they were selling new for $200 a year ago.

I ended up with a TomTom XL 340S for $130 (new) on E.B. Free shipping too. Ad stated new but I am wondering if it is re-furbished.
    It looks like the 340s has it's share of problems but still looks like a good product and good deal. Saw it at big box for $240
    Please let us know what you think of the TomTom XL 340S because I'm thinking of selling my Navigon and getting one off of ebay myself. I'd like to get a GPS that has similar features to my 2000s and I think that model does from what I've read. Reality View, text to speech, are some things I still want in a GPS without having to break the bank to buy one!
  • dhn 336 Points
    Just remember that TomTom does not consider ebay to be a recognized seller of TomTom units. As such, you may not be eligible for the 30-day Latest Map Guarantee if the unit is a refurbished.
  • kmann 0 Points
    I have not received as of yet.
    Do you know if the package would be marked by TomTom as Refurb?
  • dhn 336 Points
    There is often no way of knowing by the packaging. What does the ad say on ebay?
  • kmann 0 Points
    The add states "NEW", $129.19. There is another one calling "new" at a slightly higher price also.
    There were other adds for re-burbished from different sellers.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Well, you should be ok, then.
  • kmann 0 Points
    blackngoldrules
    Please let us know what you think of the TomTom XL 340S because I'm thinking of selling my Navigon and getting one off of ebay myself!

I am buying as a x-mas gift for myself (from my wife)!!
    It may be after x-mas before I can get a good test. I will do my best to get the map updated - after the new one comes out.
    I got one for my father in law also.
    Does Tom Tom e-mail the person when it is activated (home)? I would like to update his also, with his e-mail address & name.
  • dhn 336 Points
    No, TomTom sends no email.
  • cL 0 Points

Do NOT buy a Navigon. We got the 5100 (new, not refurb) off ebay last December and it has totally stopped working.
    It has not been used 15 times.
    NO RESPONSE from customer support. I am really disgusted as this was not cheap. I guess we will stick with a major brand but we selected it for the traffic info.
    It is dead. (not the battery and it has not been dropped.
    it will not turn on- seems like the button is broken?)
  • Wade 81 Points
    Just saw that our local Radio Shack is selling their Navigon 5100 MAX demo unit for $79... they had another Navigon unit... not sure which it was, it was a 3.5" screen for $59. Both DEMO units. I'd not trust that for 10 minutes...
  • kmann 0 Points
    My TomTom XL340-s came in($130.00 on E.B.) and I finally got to test it this weekend.
    I drove to places I had driven many times and was very happy with the routes it picked.
    Also tried one new place in rural MN that has a maze thru a small town to hit the freeway ramp. The TT saved me a good 1/2 hour+ that it would have taken me if I had missed this freeway ramp. It took me right too it.

When I plugged it into the P.C it did do an update right away. I was hoping to see if the new map had come out, but the system updated pretty much automatically. Did I miss my shot for a newer map version?

I also did the back up as described in the TOMTOM XL Forums (using windows rather than TOMTOM HOME). Worked great, thanks guys!! This process did take about an hour with the slow connection rate of the XL unit. Not a big deal in my opinion. If this had to be done daily or weekly, may be a different story.

As far as I can tell, totally worth the $130.00, no question.

With the latest posts on the Navigon, I am SO glad I asked if the 5100 was a good buy!!!
  • Just saw that our local Radio Shack is selling their Navigon 5100 MAX demo unit for $79... they had another Navigon unit... not sure which it was, it was a 3.5" screen for $59. Both DEMO units. I'd not trust that for 10 minutes...
    I bought one of the 5100max demos for79 and have had no problems. Unit is good as new.