This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Magellan RoadMate iPhone application looks very good

PND4ME 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
So I been testing the iPhone app for Magellan for a few months, the new RoadMate app function much like the Magellan Maestro 4350/4370 with a few nice changes.

The app is solid and seems to work well, as good as the PND I'm testing it against. I have the NuviFone, TomTom and Magellan iPhone apps along with the MotionX and I feel these apps are getting very close to what a PND can offer.

The display is so much better than what the PND have to offer, having TTS, music player that will mute when the turn by turn instruction is announced is very nice. The OneTouch feature is a plus and over all I feel I nolonger need a dedicated PND when I travel and this is a great back up if I'm using a PND. The BT feature allow the turn by turn to be heard over the car stereo speaker along with the music player which is very nice.

Other than that, I feel Magellan is about 2-3 months late with this app but they have definitely can be a winner.

Any questions?

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    I don't believe Magellan is too late-- their app is ready to download and includes lane guidance and text-to-speech. TomTom has announced those features but they are not available quite yet.
  • I don't believe Magellan is too late-- their app is ready to download and includes lane guidance and text-to-speech. TomTom has announced those features but they are not available quite yet.
    Tim what I meant was for the early adapters to buy the Magellan software after having to purchase and downloading another application like the TomTom, Navigon etc already will be pretty difficult since there is a no return policy and also you can't resell it if it does not function to your expectation.

Magellan is a great company but most consumers is not going to spend another $79 for yet another GPS app if they already have one. Navigon did very well and I'm hoping Magellan will be very successful with this oofering..

The lane assist is very nice and over all it is a solid product. Have you tested it yet Tim?
  • So how fast does this roadmate app run compared to an actual 4350? I assume with the 3GS and it's cortex A8 it should be even faster than the real hardware unit.

Also, just how different is the 4350 software from the 1470? I notice many design elements look similar, but there are some differences. Since the 4700 and 1470 look almost the same software wise, would that mean the roadmate app is using an older version of software?