This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Fatal error in Mother Board

Stoney 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Handheld Forum
Hi. I am new to this forum thing but hope I can get some help. I have a Magellan Explorist XL which I purchased about 3 years ago. The unit has only done about 20 hours work and crashed twice in the first 18 months which I was able to overcome and reset. It then crashed a third time which I could not overcome so I took the unit to the Magellan dealer in Perth only to be told that the motherboard had a fatal error and could not be repaired. I was informed that Magellan did not make replacement motherboards for them anymore and none were available. By this time the unit was only 2 years old. I am not impressed that a $1200 unit was irreparable within such a short time and unless I can get some help I will continue to have a very low opinion of Magellan. I hope it is just a dealer trying to force me to upgrade at a cost. If Magellan service is that poor I can assure them that a Magellan will not be on my shopping list as a replacement. Any Ideas?

Comments

• Tim 1456 Points
    Yikes, I hope you didn't pay $1200 for it. That product was announced in August of 2005 with a retail price of $449.
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    Evidently Magellan's price structure is different "down under". I just checked and $1.00 AUD = $0.93 USD, so that doesn't account for such a great difference.

Unfortunately, Magellan tech support does not get very high marks here in the forums. Let us know how this works out for you. It may be more practical to look for a used model online if you want to stay with the Explorist....
  • Thanks for the feedback. It has made up my mind that I will not be recommending Magellan to anybody in the future. What GPS would you reccomend for AUS? Prefer one with a large screen (the eyes aint what they used be).
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    Here are a few ideas: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/16339/x/p1/

If you are ruling out Magellan, then you are pretty much stuck with either DeLorme or Garmin. Lowrance has a new series of touchscreen units, but they are not getting very good reviews. Too bad, because on paper they look pretty cool: http://www.lowrance.com/Endura/

DeLorme may not be a good option for you because I don't think they have much (if any?) map products outside of North America. Check their website as I'm not personally familiar.

In the end, you are probably going to narrow it down to a Garmin product. One advantage is the free maps for Garmin which are popping up all over due to 3rd party software which lets you create your own. The models worth considering (IMO) would be the GPSMap 60csx, eTrex Venture Hcx, Oregon and the Dakota. My personal favorite is the Oregon. All of these have similar sized screens (the Dakota is a little smaller), but the screen on the Oregon has more pixels so it can show more detail.