755T - speed limit beeps? traffic auto reroute?

hi,

1) is there a way to make the 755T make a beep every time u go over the speed limit?

2) i finally had a chance to see the traffic button in action. it turned from green to yellow, and then the map changed to grey, and the section on the map where there was supposedly traffic turned yellow to the right of the road. the button said there would be a 2 minute delay.

my second question is, if it had been a much longer delay, would the 755T had given me a different route automatically, or does it just warn of traffic? is there a way to make it automatically give me the quickest route, taking traffic into consideration.

3) what is the reason for the "traffic map" - - why not just have that yellow section overlayed on top of the regular map?

4) in case anyone is interested, the 755T's mp3 player has auto-resume, which i was pleased to see. the 760 didnt have it, and it was one of the reasons i returned it.

Comments

• alanb 215 Points
    1) In general, no. Some people have played around with using POI speed alerts for monitoring their speed, but it is more trouble than it is worth. It would be nice if Garmin would add this as a feature.

2) If you are navigating a route and have the traffic avoidance set in the navigation preferences, it will automatically give you a detour when a severe traffic condition is detected. I am not sure what the threshold is for the detour .... for sure on a red condition if a reasonable detour exists. You might find (as I did) that the suggested detour is as bad or worse than staying on the original route.
  • SergZak 222 Points
    It would be nice if Garmin would add this as a feature
    The key word here is "feature", as in user-selectable. It would be terrible if Garmin forced something like this upon us with no way to turn it off...it would personally drive me nuts having the unit ding/bong every time I went over the speed limit. :shock:

3) I believe the traffic map is meant to highlight or draw attention to the traffic alerts on the screen. Having the green/yellow/red incidents on the standard traffic map would really cause confusion, especially with the red visual incidents which would be lost when displayed with the red color used for freeways.
  • Tim 1297 Points
    The key word here is "feature", as in user-selectable. It would be terrible if Garmin forced something like this upon us with no way to turn it off...it would personally drive me nuts having the unit ding/bong every time I went over the speed limit. :shock:
    I'm experiencing that right now. I'm testing something that has a speed limit warning that I can't seem to turn off. It wouldn't be quite so bad but the speed limit is incorrect in a couple of places so it is yelling at me even when I'm not speeding. :roll:
  • it sure would be annoying to have a beep every time i go over the speed limit, but i think i would appreciate a beep every time i go ten miles over the speed limit. at the very least, im glad to know its not an available feature that i am overlooking.

thanks for the responses!
  • I like the idea of the speed limit turning RED (And flashing would be a plus). I wish Garmin would update there software to make it standard on all their units.

A flashing RED indicator would be a good visual warning and an eye catcher.
  • The key word here is "feature", as in user-selectable. It would be terrible if Garmin forced something like this upon us with no way to turn it off...
    Well they did it. The latest firmware from garmin has now forced a "feature" to turn the speed indicator red if you are going over the speed limit it thinks is posted. The problem is it this not user selectable at all. You can't turn it off or even change the alert setting. One mile over and the speed display turns red. This is VERY ANNOYING. Yes, even more annoying than "someone" typing in all caps! Not only is it annoying but it is very distracting to me as well.

Garmin: If you are going to add a "feature" then, as quoted above, add it as a feature. This means that it should be user selectable.

• Ric01 0 Points

I'm experiencing that right now. I'm testing something that has a speed limit warning that I can't seem to turn off. It wouldn't be quite so bad but the speed limit is incorrect in a couple of places so it is yelling at me even when I'm not speeding. :roll:
    I am thankful that Garmin has not yet added the speed limit ding/bong feature into my Nuvi and is not vocally yelling at me yet........

otherwise, I will go double nuts because, currently my spouse (bless her heart.. she wants me to be safe)... she is already, without fail, yelling at me each time I went above the speed limit....

imagine... one day, both my spouse and my Nuvi will both yell at me at the same time in each instance I went over the speed limit. My wife will say " Honey... slow down! We are not paying for any speeding ticket!" and at the same time, my Nuvi will go ding/bong/ding dong
  • ....another problem with the new "red over-the-speed limit" indicator on the Garmin 7X5 series is that it is very hard to read at night. The numbers appear red on a blue background - very hard to make out what your speed is with this color layout.
  • SergZak 222 Points
    Agreed about the readability of the red text in nighttime mode...it's barely visible. Makes you wonder if they even tested this new feature at all in nighttime mode.
  • My speed indicator turns red also .
  • pedz 31 Points
    I wonder if Garmin reads this...

Doing something rather dramatic (but still selectable) for school zones at the proper time of day (compensating for holidays, etc) would be nice.

Off topic but one of my complaints about cruise controls is you can't set them for 20 MPH. To me, that would be really nice. Then I could focus more on what is outside (the kids) and not may damn speedometer.
  • Boyd 1364 Points
    The cruise control in my VW Rabbit seems to work all the way down to a little over 15 MPH. - works well when driving on little dirt roads in the state forest :)

There is good evidence that a few Garmin employees read this forum. But it would be assuming a LOT to think they base design/marketing decisions on random posts here. If you have something to tell them, contact support through their website. Personally, I can think of better uses for my time though. :D