The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Do Garmins with the 'T' feature have pop up ads?

I'm currently trying to decide whether to go with the Garmin 255W or 255WT...I've read that the 255WT (or any of the Garmins with the free traffic updates) have pop up ads that appear on your Garmin from time to time. Is this true?

TripleB

Comments

• All the "free lifetime traffic" models are ad-supported; however, I find the ads to be almost unnoticeable. I've only ever seen ads for Walgreens and Wells Fargo and they only appear when I'm stopped and not interacting with the nuvi.

Here's a screenshot of a 755T in 3D perspective mode with an ad:
    http://public.fotki.com/jimjimc/nuvi-755t/bitmap57497.html

Gizmodo has a picture of a 1350T showing an ad at the main menu:
    http://gizmodo.com/5325651/garmin-nuvi-1350t-lightning-review

The usefulness of the free traffic has been debated -- some say it's great, some say it's awful, some say the paid ClearChannel is the winner, some say paid NavTeq is the best, and some say the MSN Traffic is the clear choice.

The free traffic works fine for me.
  • I agree that the ads are not a problem. I believe they only come on when the car is stopped and they are small. If you turn off the traffic feature when you don't need it the ads are off also.
  • I agree that the ads are not a problem. I believe they only come on when the car is stopped and they are small. If you turn off the traffic feature when you don't need it the ads are off also.
    Thanks to you both for the information and the pics.

So let me make sure of this: If I go with the Garmin 255WT, I can turn off the Traffic feature any time I wish and no ads will pop up at all? So, for the extra $11.00 or so I should definately go with the 255WT instead of the 255W, correct?

Thanks.

TripleB
  • kenp 41 Points
    Does anyone know if the traffic data in Navteq ad-supported service is the same as in the paid premium Navteq service? Just wondering if the $49.99 buys anything more than disabling the ads.

Ken