Brand new nuvi 255w won't connect via USB
  • I purchased a Garmin nuvi 255w the other day, and when I try to connect it to my Macbook Pro, it is not recognized. Thinking it might be a Mac issue, I fired up Windows XP and it is also not recognized. Don't you just plug it into the USB port? Am I missing something ? The unit is turned on, I've tried turning it off and on while it is connected.

I downloaded the garmin plugin for both mac and pc, tried it on both sides; it will not find the unit.
  • gatorguy
    The first thing to try is a different USB cable. I have two at the house that work just fine with my gps's. The third one just won't cooperate, but works fine with a camera.
  • Ragman
    If different cables don't do it, see garmin support for usb drive.
  • gatorguy
    Yes, Garmin released new USB drivers today. Avialable via Garmin WebUpdater.
  • I just got my 255W last night. Since then I've tried to connect it to 2 computers using 4 different usb cables...no joy.

I can't make the PC 'see' the gps. I get the bubble telling me it's connected (bottom right of the Windws XP desk top) but I can't see it under 'My Computer' and when I use the Garmin updater OR the Garmin website to register it, I get nothing. I've downloaded all the drivers and the plug in for my browsers.

Any one have any experience with this? I'm new to GPS but not computers. I looked for a setting on the GPS that might allow it to connect but I don't see one.

The Serial number is on the white sticker on the bottom of the device correct? This is the number I'm using so if that's wrong that would be the problem. I just don't see any more numbers.

HELP Please!!
  • mmsstar
    I have connected to 2 different computers using about 5 different cables and have had no problems. Each time my Nuvi is seen by the computer as a drive. The cables are from 2 different Blackberrys, a camera, a 260W Nuvi and the one that came with my 660. The computers are a Dell lap top used for work running XP and a Dell desk top home unit also with XP but the home version

What do you see on the screen of your Nuvi when you plug it in to the computer? You should see the Garmin name with a likeness of a PC with a Nuvi connected to it. This says the Nuvi knows it's conected to a computer.
  • Thanks for the reply.
    I do see the connection icon on the Nuvi. It would seem the nuvi knows it's connected, but not the PCs I've used (work and home both running XP).
    My Nuvi will sometimes re-boot as well during this connection phaze. Not sure why.
    XP will sometimes tell me witha pop up bubble that a USB device is connected...but it never shows as a drive in 'My Computer'.

I keep hearing about the cable issue and even Garmin has said that some USB cables may not work. I've tried a 4 cables with no luck.
  • Make sure that the first time you connect to the computer it is directly connected to a type 2 USB port directly into the computer. Sometimes a USB splitter can mess this up. Once you've got it recognized the first time, then it will probably work just fine from the splitter.
  • jexter said:

Thanks for the reply.
    I do see the connection icon on the Nuvi. It would seem the nuvi knows it's connected, but not the PCs I've used (work and home both running XP).
    My Nuvi will sometimes re-boot as well during this connection phaze. Not sure why.
    XP will sometimes tell me witha pop up bubble that a USB device is connected...but it never shows as a drive in 'My Computer'.

I keep hearing about the cable issue and even Garmin has said that some USB cables may not work. I've tried a 4 cables with no luck.

I had the exact same problem with 2 different Nuvis on 3 different PCs, and never was able to register or download from any them to either Nuvi despite spending hours on the phone with multiple levels of tech support. Tech support gave up and said it was my PCs not the Nuvi. I was able to get them both to work on a 4th (newer) pc at my office. All 4 PCs were running XP. I tryed the USB cable supplied by Garmin with the Nuvis and other...none would work except on PC #4.
  • This is reaching really deep but maybe the older PC has only USB 1.0 ports and the Nuvi is a USB 2.0 device?
  • mmsstar
    purchased a Garmin nuvi 255w the other day, and when I try to connect it to my Macbook Pro, it is not recognized. Thinking it might be a Mac issue, I fired up Windows XP and it is also not recognized. Don't you just plug it into the USB port? Am I missing something ? The unit is turned on, I've tried turning it off and on while it is connected.

Don't know if it matters but when I connect my 660 to the PC with it off it turns itself on and acts like it is booting, then goes to the mass storage mode and shows the Nuvi/PC screen. That said if I connect to the PC with it on it goes to the mass storage mode and shows the Nuvi/PC screen, so I don't know if it matters.

FWIW, we have 2 660's now and had a 260W and they all do/did the same thing.

One other thing, is the battery charged?
  • This, if nothing else, is making me feel like I'm not alone😉

I was able to connect using my Mac after I removed my SD card from the 255W. (I will now try it with my PC with the SD card out of it.)
    The problem was after it did it's "Operating software update" it goes to a second download screen and it stay's at 0%...forever.

Wish me luck with the PC...
  • Well...I went and exchanged it for another of the same model.

It works just dandy. The first one must have been faulty.
    This one works exactly as it's supposed to (so far) on the first try!

Thanks for all the feed back folks.

😀
  • mmsstar
    Glad you got a solution
  • kingmeow said:

This is reaching really deep but maybe the older PC has only USB 1.0 ports and the Nuvi is a USB 2.0 device?

Good thought, but no cigar! They had both USB 1.0 and 2.0 ports and neither worked.
  • Glad that your new unit is fine!!!!

Yesterday I replaced a 255wt with the new 1300 (love it much better except for the text to speech) but my 1300 is not recognized either. On top of that we were driving to Portland tonight and the 1300 just went dead while on the highway. Thank god for my verizon Nav on my dare. We made it to the event on time.

I'll return this unit as well tomorrow to BB and get another one. :oops:
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!