This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

255WT Switching between 3-D and Track Up/North Up

I discovered that if I touch the screen while navigating in 3D map mode it switches to 2D North Up mode. Nice feature - a quck single-touch look at the 2D map can be useful.

But - is there any way to set things so it will switch to Track Up instead of North Up? This feature isn't mentioned in the manual, let alone how to customize it. I tried searching here, but haven't mastered the search engine.

Ken

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Nope, there is no way to do this. On the Oregon handheld you can do that, but it has far more options than a Nuvi. I assume you have also noticed that the screen doesn't scroll in map browse mode, and you can drive outside of the visible area.

If you've read the manual then more likely than not, you know everything the Nuvi is capable of.... there isn't much in the way of customization.
  • kenp 92 Points
    Thanks. I'll stop complaining about refinement of a feature I didn't even expect to be there. :wink:

I didn't notice that this display doesn't scroll. I'll bring up the map display for a quick "Where am I?" look, then I go back to the regular "Which way do I go?" display. I'll have to try staying in it, and maybe shout "Columbus was wrong" when I fall off the edge.

Ken
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I didn't notice that this display doesn't scroll.
    No, it doesn't scroll on it's own when your position reaches the screen edge but you can drag the map to recenter your position. Just press & hold the screen and drag it where you'd like.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just press & hold the screen and drag it where you'd like.
    Have you tried the new 1200/1300/1400 series Serge? It takes a steady hand to do this. They have made it more "iPhone-like" such that moving the map has "momentum" and it continues to move after you pick up your finger. It is not so easy to get it to stop moving where you want.

Also, the new browse interface is a bit different. It doesn't have the Back-Save-Go buttons across the bottom of the screen now. Instead, there is just a return-arrow icon which brings you back to the main screen. I have mixed feelings about this. On the positive side, it leaves more room for the map. As a negative though, you can't save a location from the browser. If you tap on any map object, a GO button appears next to it, but not a SAVE button.

Evidently the only way to save a waypoint is to tap the car icon on the main screen which brings up the Where Am I page, and there's a SAVE button there.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Have you tried the new 1200/1300/1400 series Serge
    Yes, I believe I did try it on a Best Buy demo unit a few months back and was unimpressed, likely because it was different...maybe if one got used to it, it would be a different matter.

I posted the normal drag map instruction since the topic is concerning the 255WT which uses the previous method.

Still it, seems like these little changes that you mention (omission of Back-Save-Go buttons) in the 1xxx series UI are again, oversimplifying things in the nuvi tradition.

I'd still love to test one of these 1xxx units at some point but really do not see myself actually purchasing one. Maybe the next wave will floor us all...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    [Maybe the next wave will floor us all...
    Hope springs eternal! :D