This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Be EXTREMELY careful with your GPS!

blackngoldrules 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I learned a very hard lesson this morning when I went out to my truck and found that someone busted out my window and stole my GPS. I live in a pretty nice area with little crime, but that doesn't matter! I've taken that thing off my windshield 100 times when out shopping or working and usually even when I get home after work. I wasn't feeling well Saturday and just came straight in when I got home. I stayed in my apartment all day yesterday resting. I went out this morning to run my truck and clear off the snow and found the very ugly surprise. This is just a reminder of the scum that is out there that have no problem stealing from you, even in an area that isn't considered "high crime". Make sure you take your GPS's out of your vehicle no matter what, at all times! Even the mount! They might see just the mount and think your GPS might still be in the vehicle somewhere. I'm sure a lot of you already do this, but for those who don't, don't take for granted that it hasn't happened to you yet. I didn't think it would happen to me either and now I have a broken window and my GPS is probably on ebay or in a newspaper somewhere getting sold by the scumbag.

Comments

• Spyder63 331 Points
    B&G - Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. It has not happened to me, but I do take every precaution not to give any impression that a gps is in my vehicles when I am not. I tell everyone I know about doing the same. I have even told strangers in parking lots when I see them leaving a totally exposed gps stuck to the window.

Even if I take my car or truck through a car wash where I have to exit the vehicle I take my gps, cords, etc. with me in a small bag. (Heck, I even know which quarter is on top in the change thingy in case that guy working for minimum wage feels the need to tip himself.) :roll:

It's bad enough to have the gps stolen, but all the subsequent time and effort to deal with your insurance company and get the window replaced is just crap nobody needs.

There is a thread in the Tips, Tricks, Mods forum
    How to prevent theft of your GPS unit from your car. if you have not seen all those remarks.

I have different dash (friction) mounts that I use most of the time and find they work pretty well. Big Lots has one for $9.99 that is as good as any. You use the suction mount with it.

I have always lived by the credo "Just because you only think you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you"! :lol: :lol:
  • Sorry to hear about your loss! The same thing happened to me a couple of months back, and though they didn't get away with my GPS (they got my laptop instead!) they dropped the GPS and it died. No more 8100T. (that's why I'm now on the Garmin forum!).

I live in a decent neighborhood too - out in the country. Turns out it's a bunch of meth addicts who sell the units for drug money. They look for laptops, GPS's, radar detectors, golf clubs, anything they can hock.

So how are you going to replace your Navigon? Or are you?
  • Sorry to hear about your loss! The same thing happened to me a couple of months back, and though they didn't get away with my GPS (they got my laptop instead!) they dropped the GPS and it died. No more 8100T. (that's why I'm now on the Garmin forum!).

I live in a decent neighborhood too - out in the country. Turns out it's a bunch of meth addicts who sell the units for drug money. They look for laptops, GPS's, radar detectors, golf clubs, anything they can hock.

So how are you going to replace your Navigon? Or are you?
    My insurance company is actually sending me a check for the GPS and I just bought another one off of ebay. It's a 2200T. I wanted to get one with traffic this time. I'm not sure yet the exact amount my insurance company is sending me but the guy I talked to looked up my GPS and said it would be between $50 and $75. I just paid $65 for the GPS on ebay so it should be pretty close to what I just paid. I'm checking some places out tomorrow to try and replace my window! I was quoted by a couple of places that it would be at least $400 to replace it with my deductible being $250! That's when I decided to try and get a used window and put it in myself.
  • Im surprised your insurance company is covering the GPS. Mine would not (allstate). They stated that devices like GPS, radar detectors, etc. are not covered. I had to file mine under homeowners though, since the vehicle is not mine. Might have something to do with it.

Good luck with the window!

Tip - be sure to get as much of the glass out of the door panel as possible, otherwise it will rattle. I've known some folks to spray a light adhesive down into the panel cavity to sort of stick any remaining pieces in place. Just a thought.
  • Im surprised your insurance company is covering the GPS. Mine would not (allstate). They stated that devices like GPS, radar detectors, etc. are not covered. I had to file mine under homeowners though, since the vehicle is not mine. Might have something to do with it.

Good luck with the window!

Tip - be sure to get as much of the glass out of the door panel as possible, otherwise it will rattle. I've known some folks to spray a light adhesive down into the panel cavity to sort of stick any remaining pieces in place. Just a thought.
    Thanks for the tip. I had to take the door panel completely out to get the old window out so I was able to clean out any remaining glass. I lucked out and found a used window on ebay that fits my truck exactly. It just came and I'm installing it tomorrow. I just got my 2200T as well and really like it. Works just like the 2000S I had and I can't wait to test out the traffic on it. Hopefully it'll help me in my daily commute.