This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

x85 models discontinued

I noticed today that Garmin now lists the 285, 785 and 885 nuvi models as discontinued. I suppose this is because of the status of MSN direct.

Comments

• Tim 1479 Points
    Good catch, and I think your reasoning is correct. They caught flack for not posting that the service would be discontinued, then they caught more flack for not putting the notice in bigger text. This is the right thing to do.
  • alanb 536 Points
    Interestingly this leaves no current model with voice recognition and blue tooth.
  • I wonder why they don't have the NAVTEQ version of the 800-series, like an 865T. I would've bought one of those over the 765T, but they don't exist. I specifically didn't get the x85 models because of the MSN direct time limit.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I was able to purchase an 855 for $199 (now down to $189) and use it with either of my GTM 20's which both have Lifetime Navteq & Clear Channel traffic. I didn't need the MSN Direct receiver (I already have one as well) nor the Bluetooth (don't use the phone in the car) so the 855 was the perfect choice and a great deal as well.
  • Serg: Did you have to repurchase a subscription for the traffic receiver(s)? You mention using the 855 with both recievers. I thought it was only one reciever to a unit, and vice-versa?

on topic: I too didnt purchase the 885 due to MSN going away, but I also dont really see the value in having bluetooth. So, I wonder if the x85's will quietly become the new x55's, or will there be x55B's (Bluetooth) like there are 'T's?
  • alanb 536 Points
    The logical thing would be to have a 865T with bluetooth and Navteq traffic. But my guess is that all the 7x5 and 8x5 models will be on the discontinued list sooner rather than later. Only Garmin knows.
  • So, if they do decide to call the 855 discontinued too, would that mean its at the end of its 'life' and thus no longer able to download new 'lifetime' maps?
  • Tim 1479 Points
    No, "discontinued" status has no bearing on the lifetime map subscription.
  • The discontinuation has no effect on Numaps lifetime subscription.

You can updates maps until Garmin changes the map file format (which they are not likely to do).
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Serg: Did you have to repurchase a subscription for the traffic receiver(s)? You mention using the 855 with both recievers. I thought it was only one reciever to a unit, and vice-versa?
    Both my GTM 20's came with Navteq Free Lifetime, after which I purchased two Clear Channel Lifetime subs for each unit. See the Clear Channel vs Navteq sticky for more info.

The GTM subscriptions are tied to the GTM units, NOT to the GPS units. If the GTM connects to the GPS you're trying to use it with, it will work with any GPS unit as long as the firmware on the GPS is current (supports Navteq). Some older firmware did not recognize Navteq Lifetime subs since this provider was added much later than Clear Channel.

GTM 20's use the flat 18-pin connector to the nuvi's cradle mount
    GTM 25's use a standard mini-USB connector directly to the nuvi's USB connector.
  • Interesting the recent post regarding the discontinuation of some of the 8xx series.

Are Garmin going to introduce some new devices with voice control etc? It was the best voice control around, far better than the TomTom's efforts.

It does seem that Garmin are disappearing into more basic models with even the 1690 having some features missing compared to the 7xx and 8xx series.

I think FM receivers are dying a death across the board with Garmin and TomTom abandoning them on their latest devices. This doesn't bother me a whole lot as here in the UK it is next to impossible to find a free FM channel anyway.

Any thoughts folks?
  • I think FM receivers are dying a death across the board with Garmin and TomTom abandoning them on their latest devices.
    I assume you meant *transmitters* and not *receivers*, correct?

• The GTM subscriptions are tied to the GTM units, NOT to the GPS units. If the GTM connects to the GPS you're trying to use it with, it will work with any GPS unit as long as the firmware on the GPS is current (supports Navteq). Some older firmware did not recognize Navteq Lifetime subs since this provider was added much later than Clear Channel.

The GTM-20 that came with my 765T does not work on my 855.

The 855 recognizes the receiver but asks me to go to the Garmin site and get a subscription. It gives me the serial # of the GTM-20 to use while purchasing the subscription.

• The GTM subscriptions are tied to the GTM units, NOT to the GPS units. If the GTM connects to the GPS you're trying to use it with, it will work with any GPS unit as long as the firmware on the GPS is current (supports Navteq). Some older firmware did not recognize Navteq Lifetime subs since this provider was added much later than Clear Channel.

The GTM-20 that came with my 765T does not work on my 855.

The 855 recognizes the receiver but asks me to go to the Garmin site and get a subscription. It gives me the serial # of the GTM-20 to use while purchasing the subscription.

This is what I got too, and is the reason I asked about how Serg was able to transfer service between units..
  • alanb 536 Points
    alokeprasad, I think it is the Navteq "free" lifetime subscription (ad suppoted) that doesn't work, not the GTM 20 itself.
  • Ok, that makes sense.. re-reading Serg's reply I think he ment the ClearChannel subscriptions are tied to the reciever and can be transffered unit to unit. Correct?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Paid-for Clear Channel & Navteq subscriptions are likely to work on all units regardless of what GPS is used. The free Navteq Lifetime will require the that GPS unit be updated (at Garmin's discretion) to take advantage of the ads that are required. Older units like the 7x0 series which cannot display the ads will very likely not work with free Navteq Lifetime because of this.

Since my GTM units only had free Navteq Lifetime subs on them for a very short time before I added Clear Channel, I cannot test Navteq on them with other GPS units since Clear Channel is so dominant in my area. The system auto-senses the most dominant/strongest provider in the area and automatically uses that for it's traffic feed. You cannot force one or the other, even to test.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Tim noticed today that MSN has adjusted their price structure. $29.95 gets you MSNDirect until they duscontinue serice in 2012. A very fair and worthwhile deal IMO.

http://www.msndirect.com/pricing.aspx