This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

CES 2010 (Consumer Electronics Show)

Tim 1479 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
We had a thread in 2008 (What's new at CES?) and in 2009 (CES 2009 - GPS Discussions) so we might as well start a 2010 thread. As usual, the fastest way to get new tidbits will be to follow gpsreview on twitter. (You don't need to be on twitter... just note that link.) Those updates will also go to the homepage, but due to caching they won't appear there quite as fast... there might be an hour delay or so.

I've got a ton of meetings setup and not too much time with each, but I'll spend more time with those that have interesting news. I've already received some of the news and press releases under embargo. That news is staged to go live when the embargo lifts. But due to something I'm not talking about quite yet I should be able to post some new news before most anyone else. :lol: (Just like this one.)

If people have any questions, you can try to post them here. But most any question you will come up with is unlikely to be answered. I'm talking with PR people and not technical people so questions like "when will this bug be fixed" or "tell me the secret sauce" won't get answered. If you've got basic questions you think a PR type person would answer and is interesting and relevant, I'll do my best.

The show starts Thursday morning in Vegas, but {cough} there might be news posted well before that.

Comments

• patruns 10 Points
    Tim,

If you can get some feedback from either the manufacturers or map companies as to when we can expect to see greater coverage of Eastern Europe, that would be nice. :)

Pat
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Any specific country?
  • patruns 10 Points
    I'm interested in Serbia, but others may not be.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    I'll see what I can find out, Patruns.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Maybe I should change my screen name to patran... it's been a number of years since I ran farther than the refrigerator. ;)
  • Tim 1479 Points
    I've put up our "live" gpsreview on Twitter page. (Which might be formatted a bit funny until tomorrow afternoon due to CSS caching.)
  • mmsstar 96 Points
    patruns (or patran) wrote;
    it's been a number of years since I ran farther than the refrigerator.

I don't even run to the 'fridge anymore :lol:
  • mvl 191 Points
    I've already received some of the news and press releases under embargo.
    Do you have any embargos set to be lifted after January 10 (end of CES)?

The reason I'm asking is I'm in the market for a new high-end device, and want to figure out whether we'll know everything you know by Jan 10.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Do you have any embargos set to be lifted after January 10
    Yes, but not for devices I'd think would impact your search.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced Voice Studio, a free and easy-to-use PC application that lets anyone record their own voice to create custom pre-recorded navigation prompts for use on compatible Garmin navigation devices.

Download the free Voice Studio application from http://www.garmin.com/voicestudio and install it on a PC.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    ecoRoute hd: Transform your nuvi into a real-time diagnostics computer

January 5, 2010 - posted in ecoRoute, Garmin Garage, On the Road,

For any driver who has ever been curious about what's really going on under the hood, Garmin's new ecoRoute hd provides many of the answers. By accessing onboard diagnostics and performance data, drivers can use a compatible Garmin nüvi to wirelessly monitor real-time vehicle diagnostics while accurately calculating ecoRoute data and driver challenge scores (speed, acceleration, braking, etc.) in an effort to conserve fuel and money through fuel-efficient navigation.
  • mvl 191 Points
    ecoRoute hd: Transform your nuvi into a real-time diagnostics computer

January 5, 2010 - posted in ecoRoute, Garmin Garage, On the Road,

For any driver who has ever been curious about what's really going on under the hood, Garmin's new ecoRoute hd provides many of the answers. By accessing onboard diagnostics and performance data, drivers can use a compatible Garmin nüvi to wirelessly monitor real-time vehicle diagnostics while accurately calculating ecoRoute data and driver challenge scores (speed, acceleration, braking, etc.) in an effort to conserve fuel and money through fuel-efficient navigation.
    It's good this is making it into the PND line. My Accord nav has the realtime fuel info and it's really useful in saving gas. Eg: I learned my car gets 50mpg at 45mph, and 30mpg at 65mph.
  • dhn 335 Points
    Wow! It drops that much... :shock:
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    I was just looking at the article about the Delorme PN-60w. Finally, they introduce something which isn't a fruity iMac color - bravo! Elsewhere I read that there will also be a PN-60 without the wireless features.

Do you know what the screen resolution is on this model? From the screenshots, it doesn't appear to have any more pixels than the PN-20 and PN-40.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    As far as I know it is the same screen, but I'll know more (much) later today. Personally, I don't think I like the black color.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    At CES, outside of my normal interviews and conversations I asked about a dozen people two questions, and recorded all of their answers. The questions were looking back at the past year, and then looking forward. You can check it all out here:

Two GPS Questions: CES