This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

2100 Max + Q3 2009 update = Street name labels illegible

vulcanman 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Just updated my 2100 max with Q3 2009 update.

The terrain has a brown background but the street names are dark grey with silver shadows (something like that) ... and its close to impossible to read unless you go really close to it.

PLEASE help ... is there a way to change the color scheme ? I am a noob here.

Thanks !!

Comments

• papa 0 Points
    Just updated my 2100 max with Q3 2009 update.

The terrain has a brown background but the street names are dark grey with silver shadows (something like that) ... and its close to impossible to read unless you go really close to it. PLEASE help ... is there a way to change the color scheme ? I am a noob here.Thanks !!
    I noticed the same thing on my 7200T with Q3 09 map update. That's one reason I bought a Cydle T43H. What a difference! Colors on the T43H can be changed.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    That's one reason I bought a Cydle T43H.
    What do you think of it? I've been using one for the past few days.
  • papa 0 Points
    That's one reason I bought a Cydle T43H.

What do you think of it? I've been using one for the past few days.
    So far, I'm impressed. It doesn't have a cheap, crappy case like some others I've seen. The graphics are incredible..clear and sharp, the best I've seen yet. Street names have clean, crisp text, very readable.I love the different map color modes, both for day and night (I use #3 for day and #2 for night). It gets a satellite fix much faster than any that I've seen. The speaker could be a little clearer, but it's not bad (I run it through my car speakers via the audio out port).

I've yet to see traffic info. I was in Atlanta over the weekend and never received a signal. I carried my 7200T and compared them side-by-side. The 7200T got traffic without a hitch. POI searches are great: by category, name, city, or telephone number. And 11 million POI's? I'll take it!

Support is a deal breaker for me. I've been in touch with Cydle numerous times in the past 3 weeks and their support and responses are quick and courteous. They are implementing some changes and fixes as I speak. There are only a couple of minor things that I would like to see different, and Cydle seems to really care enough to respond positively. Compare that to the "Big 3".

I've briefly tested the HD Radio, Movie, and Music functions. All seem to work as intended. I'm not really into those options, although they came with the GPS. I haven't used the background themes yet. The MyRoute feature is nice, too.

I got a little over 3 hours in battery mode. The mount is the best I've seen and very strong. The GPS can swivel in any direction, having a ball mount. I use a round beanbag to mount in on.

Attempting to go through the precarious Navigon update process was a waste of my time. So far, the T43H is my favorite. I think after CES 2010, this will be a strong contender in the U.S.
  • How is the actual navigation directions?
  • papa 0 Points
    How is the actual navigation directions?
    If your talking about the voice, it's clear. However, for house addresses she says "Three thousand eight hundred and forty Pine Road" instead of "3840 Pine Rd". I contacted support and they are working on a fix for this now.

As far as actual directions, they're on par with my 7200T and my Garmin 260, with a slight difference occasionally. I traveled through Atlanta over the weekend, right through downtown on I-75 and I-85, and it guided me right to my destination. While traveling, it gives a 30-mile notification and a 1-mile notification. It shows a speed limit sign and warns you if you exceed that limit (which can be configured to whatever limit you desire).

Although it's not in the manual, it has Junction view. During your trip, a colorful small box in the right hand corner shows your next turn. I like that because the small box stays on the screen out of the way. If you tap that box, it becomes much larger. When you get on a ramp at an intersection and approach the highway, she says, "entering highway" at the point the ramp merges with the highway.

Support is very good so far.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    What's the difference between the model you have and what is being announced at CES? Some of the press makes it sound like the Cydle T43H is just coming out now.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Some of the press makes it sound like the Cydle T43H is just coming out now.
    The art of press releases. :)
  • papa 0 Points
    What's the difference between the model you have and what is being announced at CES? Some of the press makes it sound like the Cydle T43H is just coming out now.
    I have the T43H. I contacted Cydle via e-mail a few weeks ago when I read of this upcoming GPS. I received it about 2 weeks ago via UPS. It's definitely a keeper for me. Absolutely gorgeous graphics. It's currently at Amazon through their marketplace and, according to Cydle, it will ultimately be available at BestBuy stores. It's in the $249 price range.
  • davelac 91 Points
    I've been trying to download a manual for the Cydle T43H, but haven't had much luck finding one. I'm interested in reading to find out more about it. Is it available anywhere?
  • papa 0 Points
    I've been trying to download a manual for the Cydle T43H, but haven't had much luck finding one. I'm interested in reading to find out more about it. Is it available anywhere?
    Cookies on....go to the Cydle website.
    then...support_update_detail.asp?part=cyd

Look toward the bottom of the page for the link.

:D
  • davelac 91 Points
    Found this before, but it asks me to log in. I'm not interested in creating an account at this time. My hope was that it was just a quick link to a PDF file.
  • papa 0 Points
    Found this before, but it asks me to log in. I'm not interested in creating an account at this time. My hope was that it was just a quick link to a PDF file.
    I agree. It's a pain. If I remember correctly, I sent them an e-mail and asked them to send me a PDF manual. They did promptly. I printed it out and deleted it. I should have saved it and I could PM it to you. I'll lurk around and see what I can find.
  • papa 0 Points
    I emailed Cydle and requested they place the T43H User Manual in a location where no login would be required to download it. Let's see what happens.
  • So it does have the junction view, aka "RealityView"? Is it possible you could snap a few pictures while in simulation mode or something? I like Navigon primarily because of it and would switch right away for a better alternative. Thanks.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Some of the press makes it sound like the Cydle T43H is just coming out now.

The art of press releases. :)
    The same guy that writes the press copy must be doing the company web site:

"Meet HD Traffic update, a real time traffic information service receiver.
    Getting insane when you are stuck in traffic ? Meet CYDLE HD TRAFFIC UPDATE, no –stuck-in-traffic route guide. It will guide you to your quickest way to your destination with real time traffic update."

Is this gps targeted at all the road rage warriors out there? I am standing here beside myself in bewilderment. :roll:

or

"Meet the world of rich media on a high resolution 4.3 wide screen.
    With its powerful CPU, you can experience the feeling of a drive-in theater when you enjoy movies."

Has this guy ever been to or seen a drive-in-movie? I think the screen is a bit bigger and not the best analogy for their product on so many levels!! :lol: :lol:

This gps does peak my interest, though.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Tim - Gator: On another note - can we port over this Cydle discussion to a new thread over in the Other GPS Hardware and Software forum where it rightfully belongs and may garner more interest?
  • papa 0 Points
    So it does have the junction view, aka "RealityView"? Is it possible you could snap a few pictures while in simulation mode or something? I like Navigon primarily because of it and would switch right away for a better alternative. Thanks.
    It does have JV minus the overhead highway green signs. Having it always displayed (you must have a destination) in the right bottom corner is nice. As I mentioned earlier, if you tap on that, it will open up a larger view with a big upcoming turn arrow...and another smaller arrow that shows the next turn after that, a mileage/feet countdown that continually updates, and a distance bar graph. If you click on "List", you can see your turn-by-turn list on that page. It also calculates your fuel on the consumption on the "Route Summary" page.

As for the pictures, I'll see what I can do in a few days. The weather won't permit much travel at this time.

Tim told me to create a thread on the Cydle T43H in "Other GPS Hardware and Software". I will do that this evening. Future postings will be there.
  • well, I am officially tempted.
  • What's the difference between the model you have and what is being announced at CES? Some of the press makes it sound like the Cydle T43H is just coming out now.

I have the
    T43H. I contacted Cydle via e-mail a few weeks ago when I read of this upcoming GPS. I received it about 2 weeks ago via UPS. It's definitely a keeper for me. Absolutely gorgeous graphics. It's currently at Amazon through their marketplace and, according to Cydle, it will ultimately be available at BestBuy stores. It's in the $249 price range.
    Hm, no GPS is worth that money anymore. It would take a heck a of a performer for me to consider moving from my Navigon T7200, unless it keeps crashing of course. :roll:
  • papa 0 Points
    Hm, no GPS is worth that money anymore. It would take a heck a of a performer for me to consider moving from my Navigon T7200, unless it keeps crashing of course. :roll:
    Contact Cydle via email and ask them to beat any other price you see. They price match and I *think* the shipping is free from their site.

The Cydle forum has been moved to:
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/17350/x/p1/
  • Hm, no GPS is worth that money anymore. It would take a heck a of a performer for me to consider moving from my Navigon T7200, unless it keeps crashing of course. :roll:

Contact Cydle via email and ask them to beat any other price you see. They price match and I *think* the shipping is free from their site.

The Cydle forum has been moved to:
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/17350/x/p1/
    OK, will keep that in mind, but my T7200 soldiers on. :wink:
  • Just updated my 2100 max with Q3 2009 update.

The terrain has a brown background but the street names are dark grey with silver shadows (something like that) ... and its close to impossible to read unless you go really close to it.

PLEASE help ... is there a way to change the color scheme ? I am a noob here.

Thanks !!
    Yeah, I'm not sure why they did that with the street names. They are a little hard to see. Why not just make them black letters? Nothing we can do except complain to Navigon about it which probably won't work with them but who knows.
  • papa 0 Points
    I'm not sure why they did that with the street names. They are a little hard to see. Why not just make them black letters?
    I don't understand that, either. The text is very hard to see. Like you said, if they would just put black letters (a little larger) and maybe with a white background behind them, it would have been easy to read. The unreadability is what made me want to switch to something else. Other than that, the 7200T is very nice with very detailed maps.
  • I just sent an email to Navigon Support regarding this issue.

Does anyone know when Q4 2009 maps will be out ? The issue I have was triggered by the Q3 2009 update (I think).

Thanks.