This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom LIFETIME Map & Traffic Subscriptions

Tim 1479 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Tomorrow TomTom will announce lifetime traffic subscriptions for maps and traffic services. Pricing and details will be updated tomorrow.

Comments

• Tim 1479 Points
    Details! Looks like "free" on new models.

TomTom Lifetime Map Updates

TomTom Lifetime Traffic Updates
  • dhn 335 Points
    Thank you for the information.
  • twiqz 0 Points
    This info is great, thanks alot. I was literally just about to head out the door and buy a Garmin, but now with this announcement, its completely changed my mind. The only drawback with this announcement is they didn’t announce when, if its for future GPS’s or for what models.

My dilemma: I need a GPS before I plan a trip to Canada in March, I have to now hold off now until they say more. Knowing my luck, ill go out and buy a Tom Tom now and a week later they will announce lifetime updates will be available for any future purchases....I even called Tom Tom support and spoke to an agent who didn’t have a clue about it.

So I guess everyone just sit back and wait and don’t buy any GPS’s from now until they make the final announcement, I mean you’d be clumsy if you ran out now and bought anything... :|
  • Tim 1479 Points
    The only drawback with this announcement is they didn’t announce when, if its for future GPS’s or for what models.
    It will be for products announced this week and (I think all) future product releases. But I'll have full details later today.
  • E61 0 Points
    I wonder if we will see this in Europe...
  • Wow! Free with new models. This means another purchase this year for sure unless they allow a buy in for older models.

Hopefully this extends to the Live versions and maybe they drop the prices on them also.

I'd have to see what the deal is with the free for lifetime traffic is. Maybe go back to an unconnected model for that also.

Seems they are rethinking their value proposition in regards to the onslaught of competition.
  • I keep thinking the $100 Ease is NOT going to get free lifetime maps included at that price but that it would be an add on package similar to the Garmin deal.

Why would this be limited to new models then?

And where oh where is the announcement for HD Traffic in the US? Last year they said they were having trouble hooking up with a carrier for this - well its been a year - now what? Just sweep the concept under the rug and not talk about it?
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Wow! Free with new models.
    I put "free" in quotes above because like most things, "free" can have different interpretations. Garmin "T" models have "free" lifetime traffic, but of course the price is built into the package price. The TomTom devices that include lifetime maps will undoubtedly cost more than they would otherwise cost without the lifetime map product. Another analogy I've used is that they could say "the 730 comes with "free" text to speech", which of course it is included without an additional cost, but you are essentially paying for it.
  • I know what you mean by that Tim. Its kind of a rub though if they bar existing owners from buying a lifetime package.

I was wondering if the traffic will be ad supported like the garmin/navteq deal. Any indications on that?

They seem to be moving towards 'value' as opposed to bleeding edge imo. Of course the big show is in March for them right?

I'm hoping they continue to develop the connected platform and HD traffic although prospects seem bleak at this point for the US.
  • twiqz 0 Points
    Is there any update on this? I really need a GPS by March 12th. As i said earlier im afraid to go out and buy one now that doesnt have updates
  • Tim 1479 Points
    I'm not sure what info you are looking for, but new devices that will be bundled with lifetime map updates (which it remains to be seen what the price premium will be) won't be coming out until early Q2.
  • twiqz 0 Points
    Q2? Thats exactly what i was looking for - Thanks :)
  • dhn 335 Points
    Had reason to be on the Australian TomTom site this morning.

They now have a 720T that offers "Free traffic updates for life".

Understand that aussies have always gotten screwed when it comes to pricing of TomToms but the price for a 720 with this free traffic is, are you sitting down, the equivalent to $692 US today!! :roll:

And this is what is said about the map:

Future Proof
    Buy new maps and get free software upgrades through TomTom HOME. So you’ll never be out of date.

An interesting marketing spin......it seems that TT is referring to mapshare changes but even that is inaccurate in that mapshares are only good for 1 year post map purchase.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Understand that aussies have always gotten screwed when it comes to pricing of TomToms but the price for a 720 with this free traffic is, are you sitting down, the equivalent to $692 US today!! :roll:
    Yes... but the prices have always been out of sync like that. I don't think we can make any judgements about the price of future North America prices based on that.
    Buy new maps and get free software upgrades through TomTom HOME. So you’ll never be out of date.
    I'm not sure that is what they are referring to. The sentence could mean this.

Buy new maps and get free application upgrades through TomTom HOME. So you’ll never be out of date.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Also consider that the 730 (same hardware, almost the same software as the 720) costs $350 on their site in the USA. Add in the traffic receiver that is included in the AUD price and we're at $470. Add in a couple of years of traffic subscriptions and we're at $590.
  • I was told by TT CS today that a buy in will be available for life time maps for existing devices.

No pricing available but I want new maps and will not get any now until this all comes out. You'd think they would have had a shorter window between the announcement and availability.

There is also the possibility that a new unit will look more attractive with them included.
  • An interesting marketing spin......it seems that TT is referring to mapshare changes but even that is inaccurate in that mapshares are only good for 1 year post map purchase.
    I have read this before, and thought that I would lose my mapshare updates for my Western Europe maps after one year (GO 930), but I still get them. I did purchase the NA map update, could that be why I still get Western Europe maps updates?
  • dhn 335 Points
    It could be.....

Despite TT's policy regarding mapshare availability, I, too, know of those getting them when their maps are over a year old.
  • mvl 191 Points
    When I first signed up for Mapshare on an old Tomtom ONE in 2007, it gave it to me for one year. After a year HOME said "Your mapshare has expired" and I couldn't get any newer updates. Then about 2 months later, Mapshare working again.

My guess is that Tomtom stopped it's one year policy.

They were probably afraid that people wouldn't buy maps so they made mapshare an expiring feature. But when new features like IQroutes and Lane Guidance came out (which couldn't be corrected in mapshare) they probably figured there was enough value in new maps that people would still buy them. So they probably removed Mapshare expiration.
  • dhn 335 Points
    I suspect you are correct. I also wish (hope) that mapshare functionality is made more robust.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    MapShare is one of those features that when it came out most people (including me) were very excited. Today, with a few small examples of exceptions I could care less about MapShare.
  • dhn 335 Points
    Sounds great in the Marketing brochures though .. :?

At one point, as mvl knows, there seemed to be a process about to be put into place where mapshare changes reported to TomTom in a certain manner would get promulgated to all maps in a propitious manner.
    (being purposely obtuse here, Tim....)

But that door got shut by the control freaks at TomTom's HQ in Holland.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    I don't blame TomTom for the lackluster success of MapShare, nor do I blame them for people's misunderstandings of what it is actually supposed to do. The former I blame on Tele Atlas and the latter on retailers. When I make changes in MapShare I see it propagate out to other devices with the same map version pretty quickly... they just never get permanently fixed by Tele Atlas and appear again in the next map version.
  • dhn 335 Points
    Yep, and it's the problem that most changes don't get implemented in the next map that seemed to have a resolution.....

But all for nothing, sadly.... :(
  • Every time my TT shows me flying over water when I'm on a bridge road over 6 months in use I wonder what happens at TT labs when this data is transferred.

Hans! Quick come here this guy is flying again!!
  • TomTom CEO Harold Goddin in a recent interview with WiWo magazine

„Bis Ende des Jahres werden wir alle ein bis zwei Tage aktualisierte Karten zum Download anbieten“

"By the end of the year 2010 we will offer updated maps every one to two days for download"
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    The translation might not be perfectly correct. I think what he actually said is that before the end of the year Tele Atlas would be able to provide a new map every two days instead of every quarter, the industry standard today.
  • dhn 335 Points
    Can see the ads now....

Subscription series.... 4 updates over the next 8 days! :lol:
  • The translation might not be perfectly correct. I think what he actually said is that before the end of the year Tele Atlas would be able to provide a new map every two days instead of every quarter, the industry standard today.
    That could make things feel like Groundhog Day! Same problem with losing favorites, etc. now every 2 days instead of 3 months!
  • You think he said all that from what I posted or you looked at the original article?

http//translate.google.com/translate?u=http//www.wiwo.de/technik-wissen/tomtom-verspricht-tagesaktuelle-strassenkarten-420766/

Where is the navigation technology as a whole?

Certainly more networking, more recent and more information.

What does that mean?

Our top-end models even have been a mobile module. Additionally, users can receive weather reports. Or, where radar traps are, where you conveniently fills up, or eat well. This information facilitates travel. So far, we offer this service especially frequent drivers. Soon there is the also in the middle class.

What does this mean for you "more recent"?

About 15 percent of all roads within a year of change. So far, we provide all the latest three months maps. Through the integration of our subsidiary, Tele Atlas maps will greatly shorten the interval soon.

What is your goal?

I think that we have until the end of the year for update intervals of 24 to 48 hours. Since we can consider larger sites or prolonged line closures almost daily basis.
    The translation might not be perfectly correct. I think what he actually said is that before the end of the year Tele Atlas would be able to provide a new map every two days instead of every quarter, the industry standard today.
  • Does the free lifetime map upgrade program apply to all XL340S TTS units or just those after a certain manufacture date? Thinking of buying one but am concerned about old dealer stock having it.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    It doesn't apply to any North American or European TomTom at this point to the best of my knowledge.
  • http//www.gpsbusinessnews.com/TomTom-posts-solid-Q4-results_a2062_2.html

The financial earnings were also the occasion for TomTom’s CEO to officially announce that Tele Atlas would be able to produce before year’s end a new map update every 48 hours instead of every quarter.

“[…] we are substantially improving the process of sourcing, producing and validating map data and attributes”, explained TomTom. “This will enable us to shorten the time to market of our content, from the current quarterly batch release to a 48-hour update cycle, before the end of the year.”
  • mvl 191 Points
    In the financial call, Tomtom's CEO said that they are converting from a batch mapmaking process to a more fluid realtime process.

They'll have the ability to release a Teleatlas map every 48 hours, but he said that end-user nav customers will probably not get them that often, due to release cycles / timing issues with the the nav manufacturers.

I doubt Tomtom will want to release maps that often. Their servers can barely keep up with the quarterly map downloads, I don't think they would want to magnify the bandwidth capacity/costs with 48 hour maps.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    I don't think they would want to magnify the bandwidth capacity/costs with 48 hour maps.
    Not if they were do do it in the traditional manner. But if they used MapShare type technology to push out the updates in small chunks that override the default map, the sizes could me more manageable.
  • mvl 191 Points
    I don't think they would want to magnify the bandwidth capacity/costs with 48 hour maps.

Not if they were do do it in the traditional manner. But if they used MapShare type technology to push out the updates in small chunks that override the default map, the sizes could me more manageable.
    Hope that's where they go. Tomtom's CEO said they are ramping up R&D expense (probably because they think the recession will be over in 12-18 months) and hopefully new technology like mapshare-style incremental downloads will be coming.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Just announced:
    Select TomTom devices across the TomTom XL and TomTom XXL product lines are now available with Lifetime Map Updates, Lifetime Traffic Updates or a combination of these features. Pricing starts at $199.95 MSRP and varies by model.
  • dhn 335 Points
    Thanks for that.......

You wonder how hard it would be for TT's Marketing department to co-ordinate with the web site people to: a) have the new information and b) throw a switch or something on the web site to reflect that information as soon as the announcement is made.

But that's TT for you........
  • Tim 1479 Points
    At $200, sales might not be too much different if they put it on their website or not. :roll:
  • dhn 335 Points
    Do you have a link to the announcement, Tim?
  • Tim 1479 Points
    It is here... But I gotta admit-- I'm confused. The way I'm reading the press release is that they are going to start offering a lifetime map update subscription, lifetime traffic subscription, and combinations of the two and that those subscriptions start at $200. They will be available for the XL and XXL devices and the pricing will "vary by model" I interpret as being that the map coverage of those devices vary (like the World Traveler edition) and thus the subscription price will be different based on the installed map.

However most everyone else is interpreting it differently and that the $200 price is for a basic XL with the lifetime map update subscription. My interpretation seems to be in the minority, and I hope I'm wrong.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Agreed. Thay're not pricing this as they should if the goal is to sell volume IMO. Especially with the way they've marketed Mapshare, leading some percentage of new buyers to think they don't need to buy map updates anyway. It looks (perhaps only) to me that they didn't intend this to be competitive, but instead get some press play, at least partially answer Garmin's map/traffic marketing, and generally get some attention for the TomTom line overall. In any case, I don't see a big rush of buyers coming for these. But I've surely been wrong before.

EDIT: Tim, in re-reading it, I'm thinking it's $200 for the most entry level model including the maps/traffic. Still 35% higher than Garmins' lowest priced with the same free maps & traffic, but not quite so out of whack.
  • dhn 335 Points
    Yeah, that's how I read it.......the price is for the unit + (something :wink: )
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Hmmm...

After visiting TomTom's website, now I'm not so sure the $200 price does include the device and lifetime maps and traffic. They still show the XL330S without maps/traffic at $199, pretty much their entry level XL. And traffic updated every three minutes? I thought that's the way TomTom marketed their premium Live traffic?? More questions than answers so far today.

It would be much easier if TomTom didn't issue unclear press releases with a lot of fluff and few details. :?
  • Tim 1479 Points
    They haven't updated the website yet as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. There is no way they could charge $200 for just the lifetime map update.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    There's a couple of things about their current on-line prices that really makes no sense right now. They show the 330S at $200. US/Canada maps, no IQR. But the 340S with added Mexico maps and IQR is $160. :?

Maybe the site will be updated by tomorrow and things will be clearer.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    They haven't updated the website yet as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. There is no way they could charge $200 for just the lifetime map update.
    I wouldn't think so either, but if you figure just two years of map updates and a traffic cable at current prices, it's not far off that.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    but if you figure just two years of map updates and a traffic cable at current prices, it's not far off that.
    Yes, but no. The press release said the products start at $199. So the most basic product (if you're reading it the way I started to) would be for lifetime maps. That would imply that lifetime maps plus lifetime traffic would be more than $200.

With Garmin's lifetime maps at $120 retail and $90 street, there is no way TomTom (who some might argue has more price leverage over their map supplier) would charge $199.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Or, look at it this way... if $199 was for the lifetime map update subscription only, then for the basic models it would be cheaper to buy five individual one year subscriptions than the "lifetime" subscription. There is no way TomTom expects people to pre-buy six years of map updates to break even over the one year subscription costs.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Tim, I pretty much agree with you. But still not perfectly confident, only because TomTom will be giving away at least $100 of product based on their current pricing. "Give away" isn't normal for them. And where does that put the live devices? Free maps and traffic for life on an XL doesn't make the live devices look very attractive in comparison.

So now we wait for TomTom to update their website I suppose.