This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Cydle T43H

Comments

• Garmin 765T on sale now for $159.99 NEW free freight....but I will still hold off for the Cydle a little longer. I guess Garmin has a load of these with the touchscreen problem which they are trying to unload.
  • Sorry, I meant the Garmin 755T is $159.99 NEW (shipped). That's the one I have been looking at and almost purchased before Cydle came around and I tried them.
  • papa 0 Points
    Garmin 765T on sale now for $159.99 NEW free freight....but I will still hold off for the Cydle a little longer. I guess Garmin has a load of these with the touchscreen problem which they are trying to unload.
    Sorry, I meant the Garmin 755T is $159.99 NEW (shipped). That's the one I have been looking at and almost purchased before Cydle came around and I tried them.
    That's great, but since this is a Cydle forum, I'm sticking with the T43H.
  • papa, looks good. While I am very happy with my Motonav
    And I'm very happy with the Cydle T43H.
    If it turns out that it's affordable (like Cydle says) and Cydle corrects some of the other issues of the T43H, I will definitely reconsider a purchase.
    Your choice.
    papa, your last few posts towards me seem a little bitter. I know you're happy with the Cydle, and that's totally fine and great. I'm not coming on here to attack you but rather keep up with the Cydle.

I just hope that Cydle isn't using this 3D map update as a distraction to not fix the more vital cons of the device like TTS, etc. Although I know you said they are diligently working on TTS, so that's definitely a major positive. I will definitely keep my eyes open for your update on that.

And I while I said I would reconsider the Cydle if they fix everything, I'm not so sure now since I saw that the Motonav is also going to offer 3D maps which it looks like would be coming from Nav N Go. 3D maps aren't vital to me, but would put the icing on the cake. Which is why I started getting interested in what Cydle was doing.

At the end of the day I'm really happy for you that you've found "the one". We all go through that struggle with GPS's as none of them seem perfect and definitely aren't perfect. And as a previous Cydle T43H owner I will definitely keep checking in on this thread and really appreciate your contributions to this thread. Take care!
  • papa 0 Points
    ...your last few posts towards me seem a little bitter. I know you're happy with the Cydle, and that's totally fine and great. I'm not coming on here to attack you but rather keep up with the Cydle.
    No bitterness intended.
    I just hope that Cydle isn't using this 3D map update as a distraction to not fix the more vital cons of the device like TTS, etc.
    That's conjecture. Give the guys a chance. I don't see it as a distraction at all. You keep saying the same things over and over...all the cons, TTS, etc. To date, Cydle has not had an update to the "cons". We all agree that there are some things we would like see differently on the T43H. But that's to be said about any GPS. It takes time and some patience.
    And I while I said I would reconsider the Cydle if they fix everything, I'm not so sure now since I saw that the Motonav is also going to offer 3D maps which it looks like would be coming from Nav N Go
    .And that is what this is all about.....choices and what makes us happy. Fix everything? I've never seen any GPS that has "fixed everything".
    At the end of the day I'm really happy for you that you've found "the one".
    The one? When did I ever say that I had found "the one"? I am always on the lookout for something better, as we all are. If you buy the newest computer on the market today it'll be outdated before you get it home.
    ...none of them seem perfect and definitely aren't perfect.
    I rest my case.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    It would be really beneficial to keep this thread targeted to those interested in Cydle's product and limit references to other manufacturers (like Motonav :wink: ) Way too much has already been posted that isn't directly related to the operation or features of Cydle's devices.
  • I come here to read about the Cydle T43H, but it seems papa445 may be the only one left with it. I searched all over the internet and found no other expert reviews, only two customer on Amazon. I think one of those people also returned it (due to the TTS) as the rest of us here did as well. Papa445, I guess this is your thread until Cydle comes through with their upgrade.
  • papa being the only person (online or otherwise) that I know of that still currently owns this device is what disturbs me the most. It was one of the major deciding factors for me returning mine.

It's hard enough being a rookie in the PND market, and even harder if your units aren't selling. That makes it difficult to offer support and updates.

The Cydle definitely has potential, and I will be watching this thread closely because of that. More than the 3D maps which is mostly a cosmetic update, I am more interested to see if they hold their TTS fix promise.
  • papa 0 Points
    edited March 2010
    it seems papa445 may be the only one left with it.
    Quite the contrary. There have been over 9,880+ views/hits on the Cydle forum. Nobody knows how many persons have Cydle units. You must realize that there are many users who only lurk these forums for information and never post.
  • papa 0 Points
    papa being the only person (online or otherwise) that I know of that still currently owns this device.
    You said "that I know of". I'll leave it at that.
    It's hard enough being a rookie in the PND market, and even harder if your units aren't selling.
    How do you absolutely know that these units aren't selling?
    The Cydle definitely has potential, and I will be watching this thread closely because of that.
    Let's see.....you say I may be the only one left with it and the units aren't selling, yet you say it has potential. I rest my case.
  • Yes, the key words are "that I know of". I know of zero other than you. That doesn't mean that maybe 10,000 people have one. I was just commenting on who I knew from either the internet or in person. There is also only 3 reviews for this device that I know of. The one on here and the two on Amazon. And Jack Wilson (Amazon) smells like a plant with his advertising pitch review.

I was just assuming that they aren't selling very well. I only find about 4 online retailers that even carry it. Amazon, Buydig, Mwave and Beach Camera. And I think one of those stores is affiliated with one another. Other well known online retailers like Buy.com, Crutchfield and JR.com don't have it. If it's an item that was selling healthy, they would be carrying it.

The device having potential has no direct relation to sales. Just look at the Navigon 7200T for clear evidence of that. I was just stating my opinion. I really believe the Cydle has potential, but it would need a lot of work that I'm not sure Cydle would be willing to fork out.

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope this device does well. But the future just looks way too uncertain for my blood. While I won't mention the device I currently have again, but their future isn't exactly clear either. We will see what happens, I will definitely be interested.
  • papa 0 Points
    WizeGuyDezignz,
    You have a right to your opinions.

As of today, I will not respond to any more of your posts.

Cheers
  • papa, I just want to apologize. I got too wrapped up into this and got out of line. I truly respect your opinion and look forward to your future posts about the Cydle.
  • papa 0 Points
    papa, I just want to apologize. I got too wrapped up into this and got out of line. I truly respect your opinion and look forward to your future posts about the Cydle.
    Apology accepted. And I apologize for firing back. Let's forget about all this and move on. :)
  • Sounds like a plan! D
  • And I apologize to everyone and everything!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I come here to read about the Cydle T43H, but it seems papa445 may be the only one left with it. I searched all over the internet and found no other expert reviews, only two customer on Amazon. I think one of those people also returned it (due to the TTS) as the rest of us here did as well. Papa445, I guess this is your thread until Cydle comes through with their upgrade.

I see the the Cydle FaceBook group site has a total of 15 members. My guess is half of them might be Cydle employees, but unfortunately there is not much info posted and nothing going on in the Discussion mode. FWIW.

OTOH - Magellan group only has 1, 438 fans, and a Garmin group (there are several) has 14,282 fans. Some discussions, but not that much.

Seems GPSReview is the place to be for inquiring minds.
  • philgood 0 Points
    Looks like I'm the only one still own and use the T43H in this forum :) This forum (gpsreview.net) focus heavily on GPS function only, however, as a multimedia device with GPS function, the price performance of T43H is hard to beat!

As far as I see, it require more than the GPS function to become a successful product in this market :) Cydle has a lot of potential and let's don't down play it so soon.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Actually, two users.....how can you forget/ignore papa445? :lol:

That's a 100% increase in users already! :wink:
  • Cydle America first launched in the United States in 2009 and introduced the T43H at the well recognized Consumer Electronics Show in 2010. Regardless of our low brand recognition, we received a tremendous amount of interest and feedback at CES.

GPSreview.net has also been a great forum where we were able to get our name out as being a “new player” in the GPS world, as well as introducing the HD Traffic update technology incorporated into our Cydle T43H GPS Navigation. We are truly grateful to the GPSreview.net users, especially papa445, that have taken great interest and directed us with useful suggestions and improvements for our product. We take all feedbacks seriously, and with all your support we will be able to make a product designed for the everyday user.

We are currently communicating with the TTS Engine Developers and working hard to improve the quality of the TTS Voice instruction. If you are not satisfied with the TTS Voice at this moment, we recommend changing the GPS voice settings (Go to Settings in the Navigation mode -> Voice/Text Language -> Select Emma or Michael). Though the other voices do not speak the street names, you will be notified of detailed routing instructions that can enhance your GPS usage.

We currently have the March 2010 map update from TeleAtlas and working diligently to release a free map update for all our Cydle T43H users. Your patience and understanding will be greatly appreciated until then.

Please feel free to contact us at cydle@cydle.com if there are further questions or inquiries.

Thank you! everyone!
  • papa 0 Points
    More exciting news and updates will be coming from Cydle shortly. It will be interesting information whether you currently have a T43H or not. As philgood said, "Cydle has a lot of potential and let's don't down play it so soon". :wink:
  • luckybirman 91 Points
    edited April 2010
    I've still been holding off on the Motonav TN765t, Tom Tom XXL540TM (now with free lifetime Traffic and free lifetime Maps), and the Garmin 755T while waiting for Cydle to come through on their promise to improve their T43H shortly. They've been in constant contact with this forum and papa445 (unlike Motorola's customer service) so I have no reason to doubt them. I still don't believe many have been sold, but I would repurchase it if I believe the TTS has been greatly improved.
  • papa 0 Points
    I still don't believe many have been sold...
    Only Cydle knows the answer to that. I applaud their affirmation to build a quality product. Their track record for responding to users is unique in the GPS industry. If no one but me had the T43H, I'm still a happy camper. Be patient and you'll be satisfied with the outcome of their efforts. You won't be sorry.
  • Tim 1482 Points
    Only Cydle knows the answer to that.
    There are certainly many inferences we can make based on available data. Many retailers (like Amazon) publish sales rank for their products so you can at least see how a product ranks against its competitors. Also many large data aggregators like bizrate can provide a good window into sales volume. Neither of those are perfect data sources-- but they are very strong indicators.

Navigon pulled out of North America almost exactly one year ago, yet they still have six GPS devices that are outselling the Cydle on Amazon and about the same via Bizrate data. There are lots of things we could argue back and forth about why that might be-- but that to me is pretty telling for a device that will attract similar users.
  • As someone who is still interested to see the outcome of this device and as a previous owner, there are a couple things that still trouble me. One is obviously the sales, or lack thereof in this case. But that has been discussed enough already.

The other is the support. While yes, they are offering very prompt answers on here and in general, it has so far been empty promises. They keep saying "shortly", but exactly how long is "shortly"? Is it a couple of weeks from now or 6 months from now? I have heard "shortly" since I still had my device over a month ago.

I just am afraid they won't have the financial backing to fix the device to the potential that it can achieve.

With all of that being said, I am in no way saying that they won't follow through with their promises. They very well could, and they very well may make this a very good device. I really hope they do for papa and whoever else owns one. And if they did, I would definitely reconsider it down the road.

I'm hearing a lot of empty promises with the manufacturer of my device as well, so this is in no way trying to bash anybody as I'm in the same boat.
  • Ted 0 Points
    hi all, just got mine to check it out. I can live with the TTS for now but there are some other things I would like to see:

1. Other GPS give you 3 route options and show them on the map for you to choose.

2. One of my biggest reasons besides using it as a GPS was the HD radio and music player but.... the sound quality is not that great on the audio out or headset output. Maybe an equalizer setting would help, one for HD radio and one for the MP3 player. I compared the same MP3 from an iPod and the GPS. The iPod was much clearer and had better highs and lows and overall more dynamic over my car stereo speakers.

3. I also would like to see a random play option for the whole SSD card or specific sub directories.

I will try it out for about a week and then decide if I want to keep it.
  • luckybirman 91 Points
    edited April 2010
    Ted, The short time I had it I found the routing to take all the shortcuts I knew on my regular roads. The TTS was the deal breaker for me but I have held out hope that it would be improved on Cydle's promise. Since then I have looked at the Tom Tom XXL 540TM online (which is the TT 540S with lifetime traffic and lifetime qtrly maps). That TT will be released next week and has just dropped $50 from the list before it has even shipped (to $209). I may wait to see a review on the traffic before I bite. If you can deal with the TTS on the Cydle as it is now, you have a good GPS.
  • Ted 0 Points
    Luckybirman, yeah the TTS is nice but I use the other voice that doesnt say the street names and the voice is loud and clear. I hope they will release an update though for the TTS.

Do you know of a GPS with good sound quality (iPod/Zune like). Not sure if its the decoding or the sound chip but it seems like I am missing some frequencies. I know my source is pretty good and my car speakers sound awesome playing MP3 CDs.

The odd thing is that the HD radio sound quality seems better than the music player. 90% of my MP3 are encoded between 192-320 kbps and sound great everywhere else. I wonder if it is the software decoder.
    Would also be great to support AAC decoding but an equalizer would be
    my biggest wish. I know I can use the car stereo settings for that but then I have to switch them back and forth when not using the GPS.

I also "need" the SD card slot that the Tom Tom does not have.

I am looking for a GPS / music jukebox device with good HiFi sound quality.

Any recommendations? Thx.
  • Ted, I want a GPS mostly for the TTS and accurate directions. I also like the ones where you have the ability to customize many of the features, unlike Garmin where you are at their mercy with most of the factory settings. The other things I will not use much or at all, but would hope Cydle would have the unit to allow the HD radio AND traffic at the same time. Apparently you would need two receivers for this (?) which they do not have.
    Papa445 is the Cydle expert here.
  • Tim 1482 Points
    Things seem a bit quiet over in Cydle land. The Motorola Motonav crew is boasting they have more activity in their thread. :) Hopefully Cydle will have some software updates for you all soon.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I had not noticed that the page count in Motoland has "greatly" exceed Cydleland. I did my part! :lol: I hope Cydle does follow up on development and Papa is not left out in the cold. :roll:

Tim does the Moto page count qualify us for our own Moto Avatar yet?
  • Tim 1482 Points
    I think so-- I'll have to re-run my import scripts for new avatars. I'm about to head out to catch a flight, but I'll try to do it from the air... if not remind me later in the week.
  • papa 0 Points
    Hopefully Cydle will have some software updates for you all soon.
    According to Cydle, they are doing extensive field testing for their update and won't release it until they are certain it meets their criteria.
  • Tim 1482 Points
    Okay, you've got it now. Go ahead and post it in the Motorola forum so we can keep this thread for Cydle. You can change your avatar back if you wish.
  • Ted 0 Points
    hi Papa, I decided to keep mine.

Do you know what features the new release will have?

I found the HD Traffic works best if I turn off the "auto" seek.

On one of my trips it messed up the location on the street. I found the street but the house number was a quarter mile off.

Another trip I was in little Italy in Baltimore and wanted to go back to DC. It led me further east and onto 895 and through a $2 toll road tunnel instead of just going through Downtown and then 395/95.

There is no "avoid toll roads option". I once had a GPS that had a slider bar from 0-100 where u could set priority for each road type the GPS knew.
    It had also options to prefer or avoid ferries. I think it was an Lowrance iWay 600c. I loved it. It was just too heavy and big (30gb hard disk).
    You could even configure the placement and what kind of info you want to see on the screen (speed/altitude/road etc..)

Here is the manual: http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance/Documents/Manuals/iWAY600c_0160-191_020807.pdf

I whish the Cydle guys could look at it and the routing options and get some "ideas". The GPS itself is several years old and discontinued.
  • papa 0 Points
    Do you know what features the new release will have?
    Hi Ted:
    According to Cydle, it will have a TTS fix, among other fixes. There will also be a separate option for a 3D map. They are still field testing and it shouldn't be long now. That's all I know at the moment.
    I found the HD Traffic works best if I turn off the "auto" seek.
    Interesting. I found that it works best for me with auto seek on. Maybe it depends on what area you're in.
    On one of my trips it messed up the location on the street. I found the street but the house number was a quarter mile off.
    That hasn't happened to me....yet.
    There is no "avoid toll roads option".
    Actually, Ted, there is. At the Main Menu screen, click...Settings, right arrow, Routing Options, Avoidances, Toll Roads. Ferries is there also. Select those and it will avoid them.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Something to try for you TTS tinkerers.

I had a problem regarding Teleatlas maps and Loquendo voices with my Tomtom (see here). Seems like the Teleatlas phonemes (name hints) and Loquendo don't mingle well.

I don't know if the Cydle allows you to edit files, but see if there's a "phoneme" file somewhere with the maps that you can rename. Maybe you can fix the TTS on your own.
  • Ted 0 Points
    Thanks Papa, I found the "avoid toll roads" option.

Still, I think it should not be a yes or no but rather a "weight" option.

If the toll road saves me 30 minutes bc its faster or 20 miles in route length then I want it but if it's an almost equal route without "toll" then I prefer that.

So instead of a check box the right thing to put there is a value.

Like: Interstate=100, Highway=90, toll road = 80, city=40, dirt =20, Ferry=50

So the routing could give points for each mile and road type and then give you the route with the best score.

There is another favorite route option that NO GPS has and its probably because of map data but I would like a "least traffic lights" option. That is very useful for inner city driving. Where I live there is a 5 mile route downtown that takes me 30-45 minutes and there is a 9 mile option that takes 15-20 minutes because it has almost no lights.
  • dhn 336 Points

There is another favorite route option that NO GPS has and its probably because of map data but I would like a "least traffic lights" option. That is very useful for inner city driving. Where I live there is a 5 mile route downtown that takes me 30-45 minutes and there is a 9 mile option that takes 15-20 minutes because it has almost no lights.
    Perhaps not called that option as such but TomTom models with IQ routing do indeed take into consideration the existence of traffic lights when it includes 'real world' driving habits of drivers when it plans a route for 'fastest'.
  • Tim 1482 Points
    There is another favorite route option that NO GPS has and its probably because of map data but I would like a "least traffic lights" option. That is very useful for inner city driving.
    Map data does try to take into consideration traffic lights already, which is why that function doesn't exist. It doesn't always doca good job at it-- but when you ask for the "fastest" route it will take it into consideration.

This is why another example of why I criticize Cydle for not purchasing/using the Tele Atlas "Speed Profiles" data which would further help with this issue.
  • papa 0 Points
    Latest email from Cydle received today:

The final T43H update will be released as soon as our field testers have completed testing and given us their feedback. We want to make sure all features, including updated TTS, are working perfectly before releasing. The updated software will be posted on our website. Please be patient with us. We are working to ensure that your Cydle experience will be very positive.
  • luckybirman 91 Points
    papa445 - The field testers in the US have not yet been given the new version of the TTS per my latest email from the office in Korea. It should be any day now.
    At this moment I cannot give the exact time line of TTS update. But the test version will be released within next week.

With the test version, Cydle America branch will do the field test and send the feedback to the headquarter in Korea.

I think it will take more than 2 week after the feedback received from US.

Sorry for the delayed schedule.

Since the TTS development partner is located in Europe, it is taking a extra time that we didn’t expect.

Cydle really appreciate for your patient.
  • papa 0 Points
    Updated email from Cydle:
    "We are finalizing our T43H updates with our U.S. field testers which will include updated software, operating system, and maps. Our team is working diligently to ensure that these updates will give superior performance. Again, Cydle appreciates your patience as we complete the process."
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Papa - Just thought I would jump in and say "hello". Looks like it got a little lonely in here. Hope Cydle is still going to come through with updates and new model(s). :)
  • philgood 0 Points
    I noticed that Cydle updated the look of the web site.
  • Ted 0 Points
    Still no update :( but the new site looks nicer.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Cydle tweet says: CydleUSA: Check us out on YouTube!

Is there anything new here? Methinks, not.

OTOH - I got a notice via Facebook that says:

Free Live HD Traffic Update!! And Multimedia Player Realtime HD Traffic Update alerts clearly indicate the number of traffic events on the road so that you can avoid them instantly. HD Digital TMC service ...

Is there something new? Is this the awaited "update" ?

I also just got a personal response to a question I posted on their Facbook page back on February 22 regarding TMC scanning on the T43H. Seems they are waking back up at Cydle from a long winter's nap! :lol:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    In looking at the Download area of the Cydle site this is listed. Is this new or old?

OS & Software Update (T43H_v3_4_21_0_091026MP_LIC )

Map Update (Cydle S.T.1.0.3 GM (NA))
  • papa 0 Points
    From what I understand, there will definitely be an update shortly addressing the issues that have been reported on this forum, other users, and field testers. Includes 3D map/SW/FW/TTS updates. Plus update for power and battery life. TTS fixes include using SAMPA phonemes. Bluetooth model is pending.
  • papa 0 Points
    In looking at the Download area of the Cydle site this is listed. Is this new or old?

OS & Software Update (T43H_v3_4_21_0_091026MP_LIC )

Map Update (Cydle S.T.1.0.3 GM (NA))
    Old. That's what's on mine now.