This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Cydle T43H

Comments

• Ted 0 Points
    Papa, thx for the info.

So it sounds like they are still in development and integrating with a new engine. Seems like we have code freeze in Feb. Then a few test/fix cycles, road testing etc.... so we can expect the update in April/May now, depending on the amount of test cycles and road testing needed?
    Last time the road testing took over a month, right? And it was a minor update.

If its in May, I hope they manage to use 2011 map and POI data.
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Its too bad about the update. I was looking forward to seeing if they have made the current speed indicator any bigger.

Where my unit sits on my dashboard, its both too far and to near for my bifocals. And no, there is nowhere else i can move it.

Papa... any idea of what will change with an update?
  • papa 0 Points
    Its too bad about the update. I was looking forward to seeing if they have made the current speed indicator any bigger.
    You're right about the current speed indicator. It's way to small for me as well. I hope they fix that soon. Personally, I would like to see the current speed larger in a dedicated position (similar to the speed limit indicator)...maybe on the other side of the display in another color?
    Papa... any idea of what will change with an update?
    (I copied/pasted the following from one of my previous posts):

New map data from TeleAtlas to include late 2010 release. Territories include: USA, Canada, Puerto Rico and Hawaii.

Additional new features include:
    1. Signposts*: This feature simulates what highway interchange signposts should look like as you approach the intersection. Road names, route numbers, route shields and exit numbers are displayed on life-like signposts.
    2. Lane Assistance*: See what lane you need to use before you approach the exit.
    3. POI name: Search any POI by part-of-word search.
    4. TTS updated to latest speech engine.
    5. Display: Enhancements to map display performance.
    6. System: Mute button included to provide an option to cancel all voice guidance.

There may be more, but this is all the info I have received up to the moment. :)
  • Ted 0 Points
    guys, why do you need the current speed on the screen. my car has one right behind my steering wheel, so should your cars. and its big and easy to read too. you can even read it from the passenger seat.

i am much more concerned with having up to date map and poi data.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    That point has been certainly been expressed many times before so it pretty much boils down to personal preference. I trust/believe the gps speed indicator more than many of my cars and motorcycles since as of 1997, Federal standards in the United States allowed a maximum 5% error on speedometer readings. And there are tires.

Most speedometers have tolerances of some 10% plus or minus manly due variation in tires diameter. Sources of error due to tire diameter variations are wear, temperature, pressure, vehicle load, and nominal tire size.

Excessive speedometer error after manufacture can come from several causes but most commonly is due to nonstandard tire diameter, in which case the percent error = 100x(1 - "new diameter"/"standard diameter").

GPS on the other hand:

Main article: Automotive navigation system

GPS devices are capable of showing speed readings based on how far the receiver has moved since the last measurement. As the GPS is an independent system, its speed calculations are not subject to the same sources of error as the vehicle's speedometer. Instead, the GPS's positional accuracy, and therefore the accuracy of its calculated speed, is dependent on the satellite signal quality at the time. Speed calculations will be more accurate at higher speeds, when the ratio of positional error to positional change is lower. The GPS software may also use a moving average calculation to reduce error.

GPS data has been used to overturn a speeding ticket; the GPS logs showed the defendant traveling below the speed limit when they were ticketed. That the data came from a GPS device was likely less important than the fact that it was logged; logs from the vehicle's speedometer could likely have been used instead, had they existed.
  • papa 0 Points
    I can add to that.

My 17 year old car's speedometer consistently shows from 10-15 mph faster than my actual current speed. The GPS goes with me every time I drive the car. I rarely drive the car out-of-town because of that. On a recent short trip, my radar detector was on and it signaled that a trooper was ahead--and the speed limit was 65. To test the GPS (as I was getting a little nervous) :wink:, the car showed I was going 80 mph when, according to the GPS, I was going 65 mph. I passed the trooper and he didn't come after me! Of course, if I had been in a major large city, I could probably have gone 100 mph anyway! To sum it up, the GPS was right on target.
  • papa 0 Points
    Here's an interesting link through Clearchannel's HDRadio website showing the T43H here

The current actual price is quite a bit lower, though.
  • Ted 0 Points
    ok guys. as for the speed indicator. you have a valid point there. so far I never had a car with those issues. if they make it bigger, I hope there will be an option to show it at all, bc I would like to turn it off.

I tested my car at 60,70,80 and my speedometer totally agrees with my GPS.

on a different note, I think Cydle has no influence on those tings correct? they can just pass stuff on. Cydle only puts the GPS software on the device.
  • papa 0 Points
    I think Cydle has no influence on those things. Correct? they can just pass stuff on. Cydle only puts the GPS software on the device.
    From Cydle:
    No, that is not correct.

Cydle has been working diligently to meet our customers' needs, especially with the T-43H. We do not just incorporate new maps on our device. We are very committed to customer service. That is why we always listen to our customers' concerns and suggestions and we monitor this forum daily. We work closely with our suppliers and field testers in order to make our products better. Cydle is continuously developing new GPS's and other consumer electronic devices, as you already know. We welcome your suggestions and will do what we can to make our users happy. Our next update is still on target for the middle of February. You will be pleased with this update.
  • Ok so a few items I have discovered with the T43H.

1. On a quick boot back into the Music Player function the device does not resume playing audio from where the MP3 track left off at power down. It would be nice if it resumed from the point of power save mode.

2. During the power cycle above, the device does not stay in "shuffle" Mode.

3. I have a 32GB memory stick with tons of music Vids pix etc.. when in HD Radio mode after a quick boot sequence, if attempt to change the channel to a different stored HD radio channel it gives me an error that the memory card is removed.. After the temporary display of the error screen it allows me to change the channel.

Those are the immediate Items I have discovered... Ideally it would be nice to have slightly more contrast control of the screen.

It would be great to make the FONT a bit bigger..., Or have options for those of us visually challenged.. (Driving is not an issue.. Reading small text is.) :-)

More possibly next time..

Look forward to the update...
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Is there any update on the T-43 update? I really hope the release date is not pushed back again.
  • papa 0 Points
    Is there any update on the T-43 update?
    TxBs, I emailed that question last week to Cydle and here is their reply:
    "The new update will be released in the middle of February as mentioned earlier."
  • Ted 0 Points
    So we are past the middle of Feb and the latest software update is still from 2009.

I also saw that they are preparing for a map store. I was under the impression that this update would be free. Do we have to pay for it?
    Will it have new map and POI data?

Will the items in the map store be free?

I see Google coming out with free turn by turn navigation. It is already available on Android phones. I have seen it and even though its still BETA it looks really good. With a 4 inch 800x480 pixel Android phone it could easily replace your GPS. The last step they need to add is to cache your route and maps in a certain distance from your route in case you are driving thru areas with bad data coverage.

Here is the link: http://gizmodo.com/#!5391408/google-maps-navigation-a-free-ass+kicking-turn+by+turn-mobile-app
  • papa 0 Points
    I know a lot of us are looking for the new T43H update. Including me. I still have no news from Cydle to post at this time. I always post the very latest info that I receive from Cydle as soon as I get it, and I will continue to do that. However, I'm as frustrated as you guys.

IMO, I think all of us should email Cydle at Cydle.com to find out what's going on with the update and maybe get something moving. In the meantime, I personally, will continue to use another one of my GPS's until or unless I hear something about the update to post. Hopefully soon.
  • I know there are a few of us who read this forum regularly, but honestly Papa, how many units do you think Cydle has sold to consumers in the US since the 2010 (last year) CES Show (more than a dozen)? On this forum there are less than a handful of people posting now. I'm waiting to see them advertise as they promised, which is the only way to have prospective consumers realize the innovative features only Cydle has. Hopefully the media blitz will begin right after they release the updates this month.
  • papa 0 Points
    ...honestly Papa, how many units do you think Cydle has sold to consumers in the US since the 2010 (last year) CES Show?
    I have no idea. Only Cydle can answer that.
    I'm waiting to see them advertise as they promised, which is the only way to have prospective consumers realize the innovative features only Cydle has.
    I'm waiting as well. And I still believe that Cydle will come through. There's a mountain of possibilities with the T43H. Cydle has been in the U.S. marketplace for a little over a year now with some very innovative products. I've kept in constant contact with them and they have replied to my every question/concern. Maybe silence is golden now and, as you say, "hopefully the media blitz will begin right after they release the updates this month". Whenever the update does reach us, it will be a winner. I just wish it was sooner than later.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Just being facetious here - your comment that silence is golden brought to mind the song of the same name by the Tremeloes: the chorus may be a bit apropos:
    :roll: :lol:

Silence is golden, but my eyes still see
    Silence is golden, golden
    But my eyes still see

Talking is cheap, people follow like sheep
    Even though there is nowhere to go
    How could she tell, he deceived her so well Pity,
    she'll be the last one to know

How many times will she fall for his line
    Should I tell her or should I keep cool?
    And if I tried, I know she'd say I lied
    Mind your business, don't hurt her, you fool
  • papa 0 Points
    Just being facetious here - your comment that silence is golden brought to mind the song of the same name by the Tremeloes
    Thanks! I forgot about that. I knew that I heard that phrase somewhere. :lol:
  • Ted 0 Points
    When I first did my GPS research a year ago I came across CYDLE and I thought what an awesome little product. I loved the idea of the integrated HD radio. I thought great, someone innovative and fresh. I had high hopes.

The device works reasonably well but the longer you use it you find little bugs and annoyances. After a few month I felt like it was ok but only 90% finished an tested. I was hoping Cydle keeps the ball rolling and fix it and make it better through updates. They promised 3D maps etc.. (not that I was needing them, but anyway). At that point I would have been happier with just a bug fix. They did make a slight TTS improvement but not fully fixing it.

So now it is 2011 and Cydle completely dropped the ball. It seems like they fired they guy who designed it or he left for other reasons. In the end this company was more talk than action and the way they over promise and under deliver makes me scared to even install the new update when it comes out. I hope there is a way to downgrade it back in case there are too many bugs in the new release.

GPS is fast becoming a free side product that is on every phone and car and updates through the internet in almost real time. It might soon become your standard radio option in a car, now that big touch screens are used to control almost any function of your vehicle.
  • papa 0 Points
    From Cydle this morning:
    Our engineers are still working on the TMC module. You will be advised as soon as it is available. Apologies for the delay.
  • I just ordered one. Didn't see anything here to scare me away and I realy wanted the HD radio. I ordered a bluetooth transmitter so it will connect (hopefully) to my bluetooth helmet.

Lets see how this thing performs on a motorcycle.
  • papa 0 Points
    I just ordered one. Didn't see anything here to scare me away and I realy wanted the HD radio.
    I'm still hoping for the update this week. At least Cydle wants to be sure the TMC update is perfected before releasing it.
  • Just being facetious here - your comment that silence is golden brought to mind the song of the same name by the Tremeloes: the chorus may be a bit apropos:
    :roll: :lol:

Silence is golden, but my eyes still see
    Silence is golden, golden
    But my eyes still see

Talking is cheap, people follow like sheep
    Even though there is nowhere to go
    How could she tell, he deceived her so well Pity,
    she'll be the last one to know

How many times will she fall for his line
    Should I tell her or should I keep cool?
    And if I tried, I know she'd say I lied
    Mind your business, don't hurt her, you fool
    Just saw this...Ha! Too Funny!

Nothing like a nice "falsetto" chorus to stir the ol' heart!

All we need now is some Lou Christy ("Lightening Striking Again!") and we'll have the whole fringe GPS movement covered! (HP, Navigon, Motorola, Cydle...) "Whup-de-ya-oooo!" Ha!
  • Here's a suggestion for all you Cydle folks who would like to see some GUI tweaks to your devices:

Over on the MotoNav forum, some really talented folk have gotten into the Windows CE code and have written "skins" for the device that present existing data in a different way (I.E. showing current speed on the main screen, instead of the pull out side bar, current street you're traveling on (a classic complaint with the Garmins), and even odd/even address numbers you pass as you drive along). We've even figured outhow to add 3-D vehicles! (who needs the Garmin Garage! ;) )

These Mods have really breathed some life back into our MotoNav's and have greatly improved functionality. I believe the Cydle is also a Windows CE device, which would lend it to "tweaking" as well.

Of course, this does nothing for map updates, but it does make your device a whole lot more fun to use, as the code almost becomes "open source". You then benefit from the collective thought of your entire customer base (well, at least those on this forum, anyway!)

Just a thought. Good luck to all you Cydle loyalists. We MotoNavers feel your pain! (as I'm sure the Navigoners do too! Ha!)
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    All we need now is some Lou Christy ("Lightening Striking Again!") and we'll have the whole fringe GPS movement covered! (HP, Navigon, Motorola, Cydle...) "Whup-de-ya-oooo!" Ha!
    Ah, good ole Lou Sacco, from Pittsburgh. (Lou Christie). Friend of mine went to school with him at good old Moon HS. Talked to him after a concert in AC a few years ago.

Ode to Navigon

"Listen to me, baby, you gotta understand
    You're old enough to know the makings of a man
    Listen to me, baby, it's hard to settle down
    Am I asking too much for you to stick around"................... :lol: :twisted:
  • All we need now is some Lou Christy ("Lightening Striking Again!") and we'll have the whole fringe GPS movement covered! (HP, Navigon, Motorola, Cydle...) "Whup-de-ya-oooo!" Ha!

Ah, good ole Lou Sacco, from Pittsburgh. (Lou Christie). Friend of mine went to school with him at good old Moon HS. Talked to him after a concert in AC a few years ago.

Ode to Navigon

"Listen to me, baby, you gotta understand
    You're old enough to know the makings of a man
    Listen to me, baby, it's hard to settle down
    Am I asking too much for you to stick around"................... :lol: :twisted:
    Amen to that! Same applies for Moto...

I have to say, your history continues to amaze me. You know an awful lot of chit about an awful lot of chit! (I was right there with you on the REM statements - Remarks made in Basic, COBOL, PASCAL...the good ol days!)
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, that's me, a regular Renaissance Man! Trouble is I only know a little chit about a lotta chit. :roll: Especially about when MegaChit Happens! (had a bumper sticker that said that)
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Are we to give up on the update?
  • papa 0 Points
    Are we to give up on the update?
    TxBs, I'm sorry to say that I have not heard a word from Cydle in over a week. I don't understand why someone at Cydle doesn't respond here anymore like they used to.
  • papa 0 Points
    Received this today from Cydle:
    We at Cydle are truly sorry for the T43H update delay. We have again requested a confirmed release date. We are currently in correspondence with a chief engineer in the R&D department and will soon post the updated information. Cydle realizes this is an urgent issue that needs to be resolved asap. Please bear with us. Thank you for your patience.
  • I hope this is not the beginning of the end of Cydle in North America. We already endured this with Navigon. They keep asking for more time. I guess a longer wait is better than having them rush out an inferior update/upgrade. I still haven't seen anything anywhere regarding their products (advertising).
  • papa 0 Points
    I hope this is not the beginning of the end of Cydle in North America.
    I really don't think that's the case. From what I've heard, the main glitch in the update is with the TMC. From what I've heard, they will not release it until that is fixed. They want it to be right.
    I guess a longer wait is better than having them rush out an inferior update/upgrade.
    That's my thinking, also. I'd much rather wait a little longer and have a less error-prone update. I believe this update is critically vital to their presence in NA.
  • Ted 0 Points
    wow, we are now over 1 month past the second delay.

I dont buy the TMC excuse. If it doesnt work by now, it probably never will.
    They could just release the update without the TMC and offer the TMC as a patch later. I wonder if they cancelled the update. They did the same with the 3D maps and didnt tell anyone or is the 3D map part of this update?

Wasnt the original date somewhere December or early Jan?

From a business perspective I can understand it. The unit probably hasnt sold much, the hardware is getting old. There are newer, cheaper more feature rich devices out there. The ROI on this update is probably slim to negative.

What happened to the M7?

I can recommend the Motorola Atrix as Phone.
    960x540 resolution, 1GB RAM, dual core 1GHz CPU , nvidia graphics
    HDMI out, N-Wireless, Fingerprint sensor etc...
    Works great with Google navigation
  • Well, Papa, How long should we allow them to keep holding us hostage with this update before going with Ted's presumption ? They seem to answer you quickly, so maybe you can email them again, as they haven't posted anything on this site in a while (probably because they have nothing to add except we have to keep waiting).
  • papa 0 Points
    Well, Papa, How long should we allow them to keep holding us hostage with this update before going with Ted's presumption?
    I have not heard a word since my last post. I'm as puzzled as you guys. Maybe they're waiting for the TMC to be perfected?
  • Ted 0 Points
    anyone able to get to the website? I am trying for a few hours now.

cydle.com does not come up. Is that the end?

or are they updating the downloads ;)
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    This one still works: http://www.cydle.com/main.aspx as of 3/21/2011 2:26 PM EDT.

Don't know if it is old or new info.
  • anyone able to get to the website? I am trying for a few hours now.

cydle.com does not come up. Is that the end?

or are they updating the downloads ;)
    I just pulled it up. Seems fine to me. (though I did have some serious problems with other sites this morning. Maybe some sort of "terrorist cyber-attack!" :shock: :shock: :twisted:)
  • Ted 0 Points
    odd. it still does not work for me from home but it works if I VPN into work and browse from there.

I cant even ping it from home. both home and work resolve cydle to the same IP. All other sites work great from home.

I did a tracert from home and work. they both rsolve it completely different, there was no routing IP in common. work got there in 15 hops. from home it never made it.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Another one of the great mysteries of the Universe!
  • papa 0 Points
    Try cydleinc.com
  • Thanks to the FCC, we’ve got a sneak peek at the Garmin nuvi 2575R, a forthcoming model that offers a driving recorder, so you can capture the crash on film when you’re watching the big game. Which you can do because the 2575/2575R includes a TV receiver! And of course that means that this device is probably not heading to the US market, especially since the manual says it’s an analog TV receiver
    The above was from another GPS blog very familiar to Tim.
    PAPA - This seems to remind me of a model that Cydle was promoting over a year ago on their website, doesn't it? What ever happened to that model?
  • papa 0 Points
    PAPA - This seems to remind me of a model that Cydle was promoting over a year ago on their website, doesn't it? What ever happened to that model?
    I have no idea.
  • Papa, I found some info from Dec 2009 regarding that Cydle model with the "Black Box". Garmin may get their's out (2575R) first, since Cydle's should have been out a year ago and apparently is still another year away per my email question to them.

Combined GPS and Multimedia Players. Cydle will unveil two additional products that combine a GPS unit and a multimedia player with wider touch screens. Both the T70 (with a 7-inch screen) and T50 (5-inch screen) are basic GPS units; the T70BX also comes with the black box unit built-in. All are available with a range of options, including HD Radio, Live HD Traffic update, Bluetooth, WiFi, mobile TV, and black box (with the T70 and T50).
    BX1 – a Black Box for the car. The new Cydle BX1 continually updates every 30 seconds to keep a running video of events while driving. When the G-force shock sensor detects an event, Cydle BX1 retains data from 15 seconds before and after the impact. The footage is saved to an SD Card, making it accessible and viewable on a PC. That information can help discover what happened and can be used as evidence in an investigation. The Cydle BX1 will be available in the United States in Q1 2010, with a suggested retail price of $149.
  • Ted 0 Points
    Papa,

could you please try to contact them and find out if the update it cancelled or if they can release one without the TMC.

This is so frustrating and and at least I can stop checking if I know it was cancelled.

Thanks.
  • papa 0 Points
    Papa, could you please try to contact them and find out if the update it cancelled or if they can release one without the TMC. This is so frustrating and and at least I can stop checking if I know it was cancelled.Thanks.
    Ted, I agree with you.
    I did hear from Cydle a few minutes ago (literally) and was told that a Cydle rep will post here to give us the latest info on the T43H update and will announce a new totally redesigned and slimmer T43H with all the latest graphics, maps and updates applied. Plus a new basic model, the T43A that will not have the multimedia functions or TMC. Availability should be within the next 2-3 months, *I think*.
    Like you, I do hope they will post ASAP! It is my understanding that the update delay has to do with the new map/TMC.
  • We at Cydle apologize for the delay of releasing the new firmware
    version of the T-43H. We know you have been patiently waiting for it.
    However, due to unforeseen circumstances, the project has been delayed
    further. The integration into the new engine is taking more time than we
    expected. We are currently expecting to finalize all TMC work as soon as
    possible. We are confident that our internal timeline can be achieved
    soon. Again, we at Cydle apologize for any inconvenience that we have
    caused. We will post the updated release date soon. Our goal is to
    provide the best possible line of portable GPS's.

On another note, Cydle is planning to launch two new portable GPS
    models: The T43A (base model) and a new upgraded and streamlined T43H
    with all updates. We will post specifications and timeline of these two
    new models as soon as they are available.

We sincerely appreciate your interest in our products.

Thanks,"
  • I emailed Cydle regarding those 2 models (mentioned in Jan 2010) I just posted a couple of posts back AND again asked about the T43H update. Here is the reply, some of which was already reported by Papa:

Hello! Cydle Customer,

First, Thanks for showing us your interest with Cydle products.

Unfortunately, T-50, T-70 models are not in the market yet. Instead of launching those two models, Cydle has plan to launch two new 4.3" PND model within a couple of months.
    also We are releasing new update map, F/W for current T-43H model soon.
    Here is information of releasing T-43H update map, F/W.
    NEW FEATURES INCLUDED IN NEW MAP:

1. Signposts*: This feature simulates what highway interchange signposts should look like as you approach the intersection. Road names, route numbers, route shields, and exit numbers are displayed on life-like signposts.
    2. Lane Assistance*: See what lane you need to use before you approach the exit.
    3. POI name: Search any POI by part-of-word search.
    4. TTS updated to latest speech engine.
    5. Display: enhancements to map display performance.
    6. System: Mute button included to provide an option to cancel all voice guidance.

Please! Let me know with any further question you have.

Many thanks again,

Woody Lee
    National Sales Manager
  • Ted 0 Points
    I guess my initial estimate (in Jan) of an April/May update release was pretty good unfortunately.

Anyway, are we getting 2011 maps and POI now?
    I am sure they are not releasing the new HW units with old 2010 maps.

Over 2 weeks ago Cydle said: "We will post the updated release date soon"

Did I miss anything? Dont see a new release date.
  • Ted 0 Points
    Anybody still reading this?

Anybody still having hope?

I am pretty happy with my phone and google navigation actually and have not used the Cydle in over a month.

I am just here to see if this joke of a company can actually keep a promise they made over and over again even if they might be 6 month late.

Needless to say I would not buy another product from them. Is there any other GPS product out there that never got a "real" update?
    I dont consider that half baked TTS update a real update.