This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Cydle T43H

1111213141517»

Comments

• papa 0 Points
    Papa - Please test out the updated T43H as quickly as possible after its release and post your well educated findings here. We will be waiting. Thank you.
    I will be happy to do that. However, just like everyone else, I can't get the update until Cydle posts it here. We can all test it and input our pro's and con's. IMO, this update will seal the deal for a lot of folks. This is the one we've been waiting for. I'm glad I waited.
    Also, as has been posted before, Cydle will have a new redesigned and more powerful T43H (2 new models) after Thanksgiving. :D

Ama*** currently has the T43H for $141.87. The new update can be applied to that unit. It should be a good bang for the buck, IMO.
  • papa wrote: Also, as has been posted before, Cydle will have a new redesigned and more powerful T43H (2 new models) after Thanksgiving.
    Papa - Were the new and more powerful T43H models described here or anywhere ? I would like to know what they would add to the loaded "base" model to help me decide whether to repurchase the updated Cydle (or more powerful model) after reading hopefully positive reviews here. Thanks
  • papa 0 Points
    Were the new and more powerful T43H models described here or anywhere? I would like to know what they would add to the loaded "base" model to help me decide whether to repurchase the updated Cydle (or more powerful model) after reading hopefully positive reviews here. Thanks
    As of the moment, I have scant information on the new models. What I heard is that the new models will have a more powerful processor and a totally redesigned exterior interface, etc. IMO, I would think the new models will have the same features that the current new update will offer.

According to a Cydle rep, there will be 2 new models. One will be similar to the new map updated version of the T43H and the other will be a basic version with no frills (no traffic, etc.). The basic version will be for users who just want to get from here to there and will list for under $100.
    Plus a Bluetooth model will be available. Personally, I could care less about a PND with Bluetooth because my vehicle has that anyway. They *supposedly* will be available after Thanksgiving.

As I mentioned before, if you like the Navigon interface and features, you will appreciate the new update that will be out hopefully soon. That's all I know for now. Stay tuned.
  • Do you think one of the Thanksgiving Cydles will have a 5" screen ? The T43H had too much information for that little screen.
    I love Navigon but think my last current map update (for the 7200T) might be the last one they offer. Maybe when Garmin takes them over things will really be great. Thanks for your insight into the newer models of Cydle.
  • papa 0 Points
    Do you think one of the Thanksgiving Cydles will have a 5" screen ?
    Haven't heard any details yet. Really not sure.
    I love Navigon but think my last current map update (for the 7200T) might be the last one they offer. Maybe when Garmin takes them over things will really be great. Thanks for your insight into the newer models of Cydle.
    I love the Navigon interface as well. I have reason to believe Cydle is taking a hard look at the Garmin/Navigon takeover. We'll see what happens. The T43H is a fine unit, IMO. Not perfect, but a quality unit. A little OT, but their M7 is a great alternative to IPad. Cydle seems to be serious about their products.
  • papa 0 Points

From a Cydle rep today:
    I have received a test edition of the new revised T43H map update and will be testing it over the weekend. We will be posting the map update on the forum in the next few days. We acknowledge that we are late with the update, but we want to make certain it will meet Cydle’s quality standards and meet the demands of our users. The update will be provided at no cost to all T43H users. Be assured that when this update is applied to your T43H, you will be happy with the results. Thank you for your patience. Some of the current prices for the T43H can be found here."

That's all I know for now, guys. :)
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Cydle- will the update require a memory card, what size, or will we be able to download it via USB?
  • Yes, you will need a SD memory card to download and install the new map
    update on your device. We recommend you use a minimum of a 4GB SD card.
    You will be able to download it via USB, but it would be more
    complicated to install. Therefore, we recommend that you download the
    update and install it on the SD card.

Detailed instructions will be posted soon on our website at www.cydle.com.

Thank you for your questions.
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Cydle; Thanks for the info on the memory card.

Any news on an upadte on the date of release.
  • Ted 0 Points
    Hi guys,

just checking in and surprised to see that the release is immanent.

Wow, congratz to all who were still believing in it.

I have not used the Cydle in several month. Mostly using Google Navigation on Android. I can just speak where I want to go and the recognition rate is amazing.

Also a new App that I found is "Waze". It "social" driving. It updates the map constantly with the speed and position of other Wazers. So this app has the most up to date traffic info and the more people use it the better.
    So far it always got my ETA right within 5 minutes (10%) at the time of departure. I think its really worth checking out. Available for pretty much all Smartphones.
  • papa 0 Points
    Cydle; Thanks for the info on the memory card.
    Any news on an update on the date of release?
    Personally, I'm hoping the finished release will be in the next few days. Lately, Cydle has been prompt to chime in on this forum and answer our concerns. We'll hear more from them, no doubt. We'll report our findings and see what happens. This release and the newer model later this year should be great news. From my perspective, I'm gonna stay with the T43H.

Have you noticed that this forum has over 29,400 views/hits?
  • papa 0 Points
    congratz to all who were still believing in it.
    Thanks! :D
  • papa 0 Points
    From Cydle:
    Cydle will be posting the new T43H update any day now. It is been completed and has been tested over and over again to be sure there are no glitches. This update will be exciting. Thank you for your patience.
  • TxBs 0 Points
    YAY!!! Looks like the T-43H update is now posted on the Cydle website.
  • papa 0 Points
    YAY!!! Looks like the T-43H update is now posted on the Cydle website.
    Yep, the map update is now posted at Cydle.com.
    For clarification, I talked to a Cydle rep this evening and this is the procedure:

Login at Cydle.com.

1. Click on “The latest Software/Firmware Update” (near the bottom left of the main page).
    2. Click T43H.
    3. From the dropdown box, click T43H.
    4. Click “Select your model type”.
    5. Select T43H.
    6. Under “T43H Ver 3.4.25.0 and later” click your browser icon.
    7. Then click “Download”.
    8. Download time should be in hours!

You can download the .PDF manual from the bottom of the page. Be sure to select the correct .PDF file for your software version (either 3.4.25.0 or 3.4.21.0). To check your software version, click the question mark next to “How to check the software version of your T43H”. Ensure that your popup blocker is turned OFF.

After you have downloaded and adequately tested the update, please post your review here. Cydle will post updated information shortly.
  • TxBs 0 Points
    My download has been going on for three hours, and I have five hours left. The file is huge.
  • papa 0 Points
    I downloaded the new T43H map update today. It took 7 hours to download plus 1.2 hours to install onto the SD card (I used a 4GB card). Due to time restrictions, I have not tested it on the road yet, but plan to do that early next week. The only “testing” I did was in “Simulation” mode. Right off the bat, I noticed a remarkable improvement in the TTS (more clarity, better pronunciation and a tad slower speech – a refreshing touch).

This is what I have observed so far (bear in mind I have not been on the road with it yet):
    * Very readable highway exit numbers as you travel.
    * Overhead highway signs appear on highway interchanges giving you ample time to make the turn. Very nice, large and readable.
    * Larger clear street name fonts. More than I had seen in the earlier version.
    * Stunning graphics with crisp, sharp images. Not cartoonish.
    * Lots of POI’s (many categories to choose from). They are not the actual business logos, but clearly defined.
    * Large speed limit sign. Large enough to read and not distract.
    * Informs you 10 miles ahead of your next turn on the highway, then at 1 mile.
    * Detailed trip information at the bottom of the screen (aka Navigon), but not distracting.
    * Shows current road name at the bottom of the screen and next turn road name at the top of the screen.
    * Customizable audible speed limit warning (various mph).
    * Small “next turn” graphic in right lower corner of screen (same as before). If you tap the graphic and tap “List”, it will give you text details of your trip.
    * Choice of map colors (same as before).
    * Still has HD traffic, media/movie player and various other extras.
    * The sound can be turned on/off by tapping the button on the screen.
    * Many other customizable options.

I was told the T43H is at Ama**n and eB** for $131.99. You can then D/L the latest map update for free. IMO, that is a great price for this unit that is loaded with features.
  • Hello! Cydle valuable customers. :D

We are happy to release the new 2011 map update for the Cydle T43H GPS
    The new map update file is available from our website, http://www.cydle.com/support_dnCenter.aspx?pt=cyd. Update instruction is also available to download.

Below is a list of the changes on T-43H new map update:

NEW MAP DATA:
    2011 map data.

Territories included: USA, Canada, Puerto, Rico, Hawaii

ADDITIONAL NEW FEATURES INCLUDED IN NEW MAP:

1. Signposts*: This feature simulates what highway interchange signposts
    should look like as you approach the intersection. Road names, route
    numbers, route shields, and exit numbers are displayed on life-like
    signposts.

2. Lane Assistance*: See what lane you need to use before you approach the
    exit.

3. POI name: Search any POI by part-of-word search.

4. TTS updated to latest speech engine and includes new vocabulary.

5. Display: enhancements to map display performance.

6. System: Mute button included to provide an option to cancel all voice
    guidance.

* Please note that Signposts and Lane Assistance features are available for
    some, but not all junctions."

Please let us know if you have any questions about how to download or install new map update to your device.

Thanks.
  • papa 0 Points
    This is a revision/continuation of my earlier quick review. After reviewing the T43H (with the new update) on the road, here are some more observations:

* Audibly informs you 50/30/10 miles ahead of your next turn, then at 1 mile.
    * Overhead interstate road signs are displayed at the top of the map (to designate your next turn), without a full screen static overlay, which allows the map to still be in view. The correct road sign to follow is shaded a darker green that the other one(s). Audible lane directions guide you to the correct exit lane.
    * In addition (as I mentioned in a previous post) there is a small visual graphic w/arrow showing the next turn direction. Just above the graphic, it indicates the distance to the next turn. The turn graphic showed a graphic of a tunnel that I was about to enter. It apparently identifies a tunnel as when you’re about to go under a multi-lane overpass. I thought this was neat.
    * The detailed info at the bottom of the screen shows: (1) remaining distance to destination (2) remaining travel time (3) current time (4) ETA to destination (5) current speed (6) altitude (7) GPS signal strength. There is also mute button for the speaker.
    * Also on the screen is a HD radio/traffic signal strength indicator. When a traffic problem occurs, a small white triangle appears outlined in green and a chime sounds. If there is a traffic issue on your route, a number appears inside the triangle that indicates the number of issues ahead. You can tap the icon for more info on the issue(s) and show a map with details on issue(s). You can check “traffic on your route” or “all traffic” if you want to see all the issues listed.
    * A tap on the screen will show (among other things) a “POI” icon. Tapping on this icon will list various categories of POI’s to choose from. You can perform a partial search to find a POI. For example, if your want “Superior Grille”, just tap “S” or “Su” or “Sup”, etc., and it will show the POI’s that contain those letters.
    * When approaching your destination, the unit will audibly inform you which side of the road the destination is on and announces the address again.
    * There is the usual array of some street mispronunciations, but that is common with all GPS’s (at least the ones I've seen). Locals usually pronounce some streets/roads a little differently, anyway.
    * Free HD traffic info and free map update (not sure how many updates are free).

FWIW, there are some things that I would like to see changed/revised/added:
    1. Slower and more spaced TTS. For example, 403 East sounds like 4-oh-threest.
    2. Some routing issues, but I suppose I’m used to a certain route and not used to a computerized route…..
    3. Quarterly map updates.

The T43H is not perfect (there is no perfect GPS), but, IMO, with the feature-set of the T43H, it is a bargain at the $130-140 range.

More testing to come....
  • papa - Is the TTS much improved ? The TTS, the low volume, and the small font (though giving much information) were the main problems I encountered. The T43H was the only one which routed me with the shortcuts (side streets) I use to avoid traffic signals. I look forward to your review after you take a trip. Thank you !
  • papa 0 Points
    papa - Is the TTS much improved? The TTS, the low volume, and the small font....
    The TTS has improved although it speaks a little fast, IMO. I think Cydle has maxed out on the TTS improvement, but it is noticeably better than before. Note what I said about it in my previous post.

The font size is larger and is now bolded. Street names are much more readable and crisp. Very nice, indeed! The bold font is defaulted throughout the whole unit (menus, etc). The Interstate exit sign addition (aka Reality View) is really nice, especially not having a static overlay.

HTH :wink:
  • papa - Is the font and screen comparable now to the Navigon 7200T ? What about the TTS comparison? Could I leave the Cydle on the center console and understand the direction without looking down ? Thanks for the quick reply.
  • papa 0 Points
    Is the font and screen comparable now to the Navigon 7200T?
    I think so.

What about the TTS comparison? Could I leave the Cydle on the center console and understand the direction without looking down?
    That's what I do. However, I do like to glance at the display from time to time, especially when a traffic appears.
  • Ted 0 Points
    ok, I downloaded the file (16hrs).

It said, it would download the update instructions too?

Anyway, I could not find them.

I copied everything to the root of my SD and then went to the update screen and clicked on "App + Map update".

Its updating right now, takes about 1h+. Am I done after that?

There is no OS or other update, correct?

Thanks,
    Ted
  • papa 0 Points
    It said, it would download the update instructions too?
    The instructions links are at the bottom of the same page that the update file is on.
    Its updating right now, takes about 1h+. Am I done after that?
    That should do it.
    There is no OS or other update, correct?
    That's correct.
  • Ted 0 Points
    Thanks Papa.

Update worked without problems. Map looks better I think, although as I said, have not used it in MONTH.

Just drove to the gym < 2 miles.

I noticed 3 !!! Streets missing. Ok, those are somewhat new. The "oldest" from spring 2010 the newest about late spring 2011.
    I had expected at least the 2010 ones to be in there, but no :(

Also it draws a Starbucks on the map, where there is absolutely nothing (not even a building), but it is missing the 2 Starbucks that are about half a mile east and west of the one in the map.

So thats just what I noticed on my less than 2 miles to the gym.
    I primarily updated the GPS bc my parents are flying in from out of town and I will give it to them for some trips around here....

Let me know what you guys think... I still think its worth upgrading so far.
  • papa 0 Points
    ...it draws a Starbucks on the map, where there is absolutely nothing (not even a building), but it is missing the 2 Starbucks that are about half a mile east and west of the one in the map.
    I thought I had that problem, too, but then I checked the address where I was going to again and I had it input wrong. But I haven't noticed an incorrect icon..yet.
    I still think its worth upgrading so far.
    Most definitely. I takes a few trials with newly updated maps to find what's new/missing. Give it few more days of testing.

I really like the new overall bold and larger fonts! Street names are so easy to read. Have you tried the new partial POI search feature yet? Also, have you seen the "Signpost" (Reality View) and "Lane Assist" views yet? Nice, IMO.

I've heard Cydle is coming out with new totally redesigned GPS's later this year. Details have not been released, but I heard from a rep that it's gonna be on par with the big names. Maybe they'll have it by Black Friday? :wink:

Keep posting your findings.
  • I'm not questioning the (already shown) quality of the Cydle units and customer service, just the continued life span of Cydle in the US. If they could show a regular period of map and software updates (even twice a year) I think people would be more comfortable purchasing their devices.
    If they have a redesigned GPS coming, I hope it would be a 5" screen so older users would be able to read it more easily. Knowing something else might be coming soon would make me hesitant to return to the T43H at this time.
  • papa 0 Points
    I'm not questioning the (already shown) quality of the Cydle units and customer service, just the continued life span of Cydle in the US. If they could show a regular period of map and software updates (even twice a year) I think people would be more comfortable purchasing their devices.
    If they have a redesigned GPS coming, I hope it would be a 5" screen so older users would be able to read it more easily. Knowing something else might be coming soon would make me hesitant to return to the T43H at this time.
    Good points! You might want to express those views to Cydle directly at Cydle@cydle.com
  • I have the User Manual in PDF format for the T43H. If anyone wants a copy, just PM me and I will respond as time permits.
    It was mentioned in the review that this unit has bluetooth, but on the cydle site there is no mention of this feature. Can you confirm this or send me a copy of the manual to donald.burroughs at live.com.

thanks Don
  • papa 0 Points
    It was mentioned in the review that this unit has bluetooth, but on the cydle site there is no mention of this feature.
    Actually, if I remember correctly, in my July 26 post I said that "a Bluetooth model will be available". It was in reference to new models that will be out in the future. Currently, there is no Bluetooth model available from Cydle. Again, I did hear that a Bluetooth model is planned. You can download a T43H manual in .PDF format from Cydle.com.
  • papa 0 Points
    Over the past few days, I’ve done more testing of the new T43H update. Here are my thoughts in no particular order (I may have repeated myself here):

“Signpost View” (Reality View) is very nicely detailed. When there are 2 or more overhead signs on an interstate, one is grayed out indicating not to get in those lanes. In addition, the “Lane Assist” arrows are shown directly under the sign to indicate which lane you should get in for your exit. They look nice centered under the sign rather on one side of the display. Displaying exit numbers on highways is handy. You can set “Simulation Mode” from 20 to 100 mph. Having a choice of 3 keyboards and map display colors are a plus. The speed limit warning has several mph options. Street names (in day or night mode) are very readable and larger than before this update. POI’s are searchable by partial name. The “HD Traffic” feature worked flawlessly. Traffic updates were timely and helpful and has some of the best details of the incident that I have seen. You do have to be closer to a major city in order to get the best reception. I leave it set to “Auto Scan” which works best for me. By the way, there are no ads! :D

I’m still not too fond of the TTS voice and/or pronunciation (Susan). Hence, I use one of the other 2 choices of non-TTS English voices (Michael or Emma). They are very crisp, easily understandable and seem to be very accurate, from my perspective. Honestly, I can do without TTS voices anyway since pronunciations may vary from location to location.

Heck, for $121.88 at Am***n or $131.99 on eB**, it’s a very good deal. And the map update is free.
  • papa 0 Points
    In continued reviewing of the newly updated T43H:

1. When entering a toll road, the unit announces the upcoming toll road and shows an icon (in the lower right corner) of a toll card being inserted. After passing the toll booth, the icon disappears and reverts to your “next turn” icon.

2. Along with the “Lane Assist” feature (under the highway signs), the “next turn” icon in the lower right corner helps confirm the correct lane turn(s).

3. It acquires a GPS signal rather quickly.

4. As mentioned in an earlier post, the ad-free traffic feature is detailed and accurate. As an aside, I don’t use the included movie player, radio, or picture viewer, although they may be handy for some folks.

5. It also has a detailed gas cost estimator allowing you to enter the current gas price for calculation. Probably handy for business use.
  • papa, Please continue to post your findings on the upgrades as they are very interesting. I was told the newer Cydle GPS will be available near the end of the year with less features and the same 4.3" screen, so should I decide to repurchase the Cydle it would probably be the one you currently own.
  • papa 0 Points
    I was told the newer Cydle GPS will be available near the end of the year with less features and the same 4.3" screen, so should I decide to repurchase the Cydle it would probably be the one you currently own.
    Not sure, but seems like I heard there will 2 new models....one with the current features (+ some)....and one with just basic (just get me there) features w/no traffic.

IMO, for the current feature set, it's a no-brainer to get it from Am**** for $121 with a great return policy....and then get the free map update. I'm keeping mine, no matter what. It's not perfect, but for the price it's an amazing unit.

Anything else I hear, I'll post it pronto! :wink:
  • TxBs 0 Points
    I have come across one small problem with the new maps.

In Texas. when you exit the freeway, it is often onto frontage roads that parallel the freeway. These exits are numbered with the name of the next major cross street, along with an exit number. In reality these 'feeder' roads share the name of the highway they paralell.

Before the update, the TTS prompt and visual prompt would give the name of the exit and exit number.
    "Exit the Freeway at Exit 68 Louetta Road"

Now the prompt is; "Exit the freeway (I-45) at I-45."

TTS and the on screen directions, no longer provides the name or number of the exit.
    It was much easier to anticipate highway exits when the TTS and on-screen prompts matched the exit ramp signs.
  • papa 0 Points
    Now the prompt is; "Exit the freeway (I-45) at I-45." TTS and the on screen directions, no longer provides the name or number of the exit. It was much easier to anticipate highway exits when the TTS and on-screen prompts matched the exit ramp signs.
    TxBs, you probably should email Cydle about that. Seems like it would be a minor fix. I haven't encountered that yet, but we don't have many of those parallel roads in my area.

Other than that, what's your take on the update?
  • papa, Is anyone else following this forum anymore?
    I was looking at Cydle's new tablet which was on sale but could find no customer reviews.
  • papa 0 Points
    papa, Is anyone else following this forum anymore?
    I was looking at Cydle's new tablet which was on sale but could find no customer reviews.
    I have not heard a word from Cydle since my last post. It seems that no one at Cydle cares to attempt to try to market their products. Emails to them do not elicit responses. I'm moving on to other endeavors. Good luck.
  • Finally used on long distance trip. Works well. Having trouble getting the time correct. Always two hours slow. Tried resetting it but always reverts to two hours off. Durability: I have dropped this thing a few times in the parking lot and no damage, works fine. Now the case has charactor. Plus I use it on my motorcycle so the environment is more harsh than most to begin with. So, kudos on the hardware.
    Downloaded latest update. I like it a lot for signage. Still some POI snafus but overall still acceptable.
    HD reception still stinks (in my area). It would be better if it was just working or not, but it keeps switching form HD to standard and back and the difference is noticeable enough to be irritating.
    I still think this is the best thing going for us motorcyclists who want radio/GPS/mp3 in a single unit. I have recommended it to several other riders…don’t know of any who have bought in yet. I’m getting to use it a lot since I can still ride in Minnesota this winter!!!
  • Just figured I would catch up on this.. Has the update from summer fall 11 done anything for the device other than the GPS?? I dont use the GPS.. I do use if for MP3 AND HD radio..
  • Anyone have any idea how to adjust the FONT size/type within the CYDLE /// Kinda hard sometimes to see (it does get washed out by the sun pretty well) It is a windows CE device.. I just dont know how to get at it.. .. Thoughts/???
  • Let's face it, with papa gone and no more responses from Cydle, this site and the Cydle GPS is a dead site. It was a good try but needed more work, a larger screen (5") and larger fonts.
  • understand and agree.. it is a shame...
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Interesting that on Amazon if you look up the Cydle T43H the usual announcement "customers that bought the Cydle also bought" indicates the Motorola TN765T was their other choice. I'll bet they are licking their wounds since both gps lines are pretty much defunct, with Moto definitely gone.
    Sometimes it just hurts to be on the "bleeding edge". :D :D :wink:
  • Spyder63 - You forgot to mention we had all gravitated from the defunct Navigons to the Cydle to the Motonav. Didn't you "break the news" on the Cydle or Motonav originally? Have you found anything new for our little group ? I emailed Garmin tech asking if they plan to bring Navigon and Garmin technology together on a stand alone GPS but and they replied that they doubt it.