This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Cydle T43H

Comments

• Tim 1458 Points
    I think there are a couple of appeals to the product. First is that it is something new-- the first significant new name to jump into the North America PND space since Navigon dropped out. Second, it is what I would call a "kitchen sink" GPS. They put in just about every software feature you can think of. (Also similar to Navigon.) That will appeal to many people, especially current and former Navigon owners.

But I largely agree with you Boyd, I just don't see anything here to get me really excited. HD Radio? The radio in my car works fine and you can't use that feature if you are also using the traffic feature. (Only one feature can use FM at one time.) Free traffic? Sure, it is done just as well elsewhere. Photos, music, movies? I could care less about those features as well. Calendar, calculator? Just about every piece of electronics I own from phones to MP3 players already has that.

But the biggest downside to me is the Nav-n-go iGo software they are running. It gives them less direct control to fix bugs and add new features. They are using Tele Atlas maps without the Speed Profiles data which makes the routing questionable and ETAs comparatively poor. And while I'm not perfect, the device is riddled with grammar mistakes.

For the people who like to fill the screen with nearly every available stat, this device offers a nice alternative to Navigon. On the map/driving view there are buttons for:

zoom out
    map display mode
    speed limit
    next street
    zoom in
    volume
    traffic signal strength
    scale
    current street
    distance to next turn
    next turn icon
    menu
    destination flag
    distance to destination
    time to destination
    current time
    time at destination
    satellite signal strength
    current speed

Many of those fields are transparent and some can be turned off-- but the screen is just way too busy for my taste. Just give me the information I need to know, and make it as easy to find that information as possible.

As someone else mentioned, I do like having the lane guidance information and still get a moving map. But you can get that feature on a TomTom too by turning off the ALG view. (The lane info will still display in the lower corner.)
  • But still, HD radio IN your GPS is cool. In NYC, HD coverage is enormous. It can easily replace XM-Sirius. I don't get however, why can't it use the HD signal for both the radio and traffic since it is pretty much the same thing. It can multitask, can it?
  • Tim 1458 Points
    I think they would need to put two radio receivers in it to listen in on two frequencies at once.
  • papa 0 Points
    The video paused while it was loading and I clicked on it again and it started playing a review of a Navigon unit, which was kind of odd since I was on Cydle's website.
    It did the same thing for me about an hour ago. Then I checked it again a few minutes ago and it was OK. Strange...
  • Boyd 1765 Points
    Thanks Tim for a good overview. I just downloaded the manual and flipped through it. Seems OK, but the screen is a little busy with all the buttons and info. Probably not something I would care for personally, but it's always interesting to see how new brands are received.

Will have to check one out in person if Best Buy starts selling them.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Yeah, I like this country too. But I'm just trying to understand. What does the Cydle offer that's special? Sorry if I have not dug deeply enough to understand this on my own.

My use of "marginal" was a little harsh - sorry. I didn't mean to criticize you for liking the product. What I meant was, I don't see much that makes this unit stand out, the website looks a little rough, and Tim got some sleepy guy when he called their phone number.
    I agree about the Cydle website and I just keep thinking "You only get one chance to make a good first impression".
  • Have to agree... maybe someone will actually make a decent one sometime in the next 20 years.... before I'm too old to use it.
  • papa 0 Points
    I just received the following email from Cydle:

"I was just informed by our web tech team that they just modified the T43H manual download link. Go to the Cydle Support area and the manual can now be downloaded without log-in."
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    edited January 2010
    Yep, they fixed it there, but now they need to fix the rollover button on the Product page. It is still dead.

Edit - I just reported the dead link to them.

Update:
    Well, as Papa445 has reported their email response time is about as good as it gets. I got the following only 2 hours after sending my "fix" request and that had been preceded immediately with an autoreply on the initial send.

Thank you for your contacting Cydle Customer service.
    Your report will be sent to Web Tech Team and will be highly appreciated.
    We will get back to you after the modification.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Cydle
  • Any good web masters here? Someone should offer thier services.. thier current one leaves something to be desired... However, its prolly an employee. I know when my last employer figured out I could do it, they tried to get me to do it on my own time for free!.. So dont be too critical, its hard on a startup to come up with the capital required to do everything right...
  • Boyd 1765 Points
    I agree about the Cydle website and I just keep thinking "You only get one chance to make a good first impression".
    I think that sums it up very nicely. In a highly competitive business like this, you had better hang on to every customer who visits your site, because your competitors are only one mouse click away...
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Any good web masters here? Someone should offer thier services.. thier current one leaves something to be desired... However, its prolly an employee. I know when my last employer figured out I could do it, they tried to get me to do it on my own time for free!.. So dont be too critical, its hard on a startup to come up with the capital required to do everything right...
    IMHO their web site is not all that bad but they need to find a better Korean to English translator and write marketing copy that is more in tune with the US market. The page titles for many, if not all their web pages, is "CYDLE - For more human happiness in your automobile." I may have been looking for that way back when I was 16 and in the back seat of my '52 Chevy with my sexy, red-head girlfriend, Paula, but a gps isn't going to do that for me now! :roll:

I do 3 different web sites now and I am all booked up. Clyde is on his own.

On another note I was looking at Clear Channel HD traffic coverage and while they are in 90+ metro areas I did notice that coverage for many of the smaller cities is not 24/7, just morning and evening drive time periods on weekdays. Some cities only have one RDS-TMC station as well. That could be why it may seem your area is not working.
  • The page titles for many, if not all their web pages, is "CYDLE - For more human happiness in your automobile."
    What, you dont speak Engrish? :lol:
  • As oppose to non-human?
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    The page titles for many, if not all their web pages, is "CYDLE - For more human happiness in your automobile."

Mujibar, is that you?
  • The page titles for many, if not all their web pages, is "CYDLE - For more human happiness in your automobile."

Mujibar, is that you?
    Heh.. http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/06/Jul/mujibar.html :P
  • Tim 1458 Points
    Back to the topic at hand, please. That's a bit offensive to some people.
  • NickyB 0 Points
    Hey fellows,
    I hear some good and bad comments about this product, and I do agree with some flaws that exist on this T43H PND. I heard that it's a start-up company and it's trying to make its name on the market, but I also heard that they give out free software updates, so if you are not lazy, most of the flaws will be eventually taken care of.
    I donno about you guys but I live in LA, and this HD traffic update really works out nicely for me.
    If you've been to LA, then you'll know that LA has the most annoying traffic jams, especially on the I-110, I-405, I-10, etc... You name it.
    And the worst part, traffic is unexpected. You obviously have traffic jams during the rush hour (7:30-9am, 5-7:30pm), but in LA, you never know that you might waste 2 hours on a 20 minute route at 11am or 3pm.
    I had a Garmin before I got myself a T43H, and boy, was it worth every penny.
    Garmin provided analog RDS signals for my traffic update, which can have lots of delays, considering all the events that happen on the road in LA.
    But T43H provides a digital TMC signal, which is supposedly up to 12 times faster than analog TMC signals.
    So being the tech geek that I am, I had to go out for a test. I turned on both of the PNDs, Garmin and Cydle, and decided to compare the traffic updates while my friend drove. And the result? Traffic update was much much faster with Cydle than Garmin.
    You don’t have to be at tech geek to know the difference between digital and analog. DIGITAL IS FASTER! That’s all I need to know to differentiate Cydle among all other PNDs. The fact that T43H provided HD Radio and traffic service for free is definitely a plus. And you can even play movie and music files on this device, so even if you are stuck in traffic, you will find some entertainment.
    I even carry my T43H with me for music and occasionally, movies, on a 8GB SD card since it is portable.
    So if you live at a big city with many many unexpected traffic jams and/or need some entertainment out of your PNDs because you get bored in your car, I would highly recommend T43H. Do yourself a favor and save time and money. Because after all, money can be earned, but time? It’s priceless.
  • How is Digital faster? Radio waves travel at the same speed whether its carrying digital or analog information..

I think you have different services confused here..
  • Tim 1458 Points
    Agreed, speed of transmission data from the traffic provider to the device isn't an issue. Getting data from the road to the traffic aggregator to the transmitter... now that is an issue.
  • Tim 1458 Points
    By the way, Cydle tells me they are not using iGo. They didn't say what they were using other than it was built on a "Korean navigation engine company". So I wanted to make the correction, but note that it is still third party navigation software to the hardware. I believe they are using this, with a hat-tip to gatorguy for finding it:

http://www.engistech.com/products/gogostandard.htm
  • NickyB 0 Points
    Well, faster because you get more clear signals with digital as opposed to analog, where the traffic data through RDS might get lost on the way, depending on your location.
    Also, digital TMC uptated traffic status more frequently than analog RDS TMC.
    That's what I meant.
  • Tim 1458 Points
    and I do agree with some flaws that exist on this T43H PND.
    Can you list what those are for those who are considering this GPS?
  • So basically you can purchase a GPS engine from one company, maps from another company and slap it on a general piece of hardware and you got yourself a GPS system. Since there are few choices of engines and a couple of maps available, the quality of navigation should not vary much from different brands. Am I right?
  • Tim 1458 Points
    In a nutshell-- yes. Often when you purchase the navigation software it will come bundled with the preferred map of the navigation software company. And when you look at the bigger companies (Garmin, TomTom, Magellan, etc) they are using their own software. So I wouldn't say they are all the same... but those devices built on a particular navigation software platform will all be very similar.

A couple of years ago there were numerous GPS "brands" on the market that were all using the iGo navigation software and were often using hardware made by Mitac. I recall "GPS companies" that had a total payroll of one person doing the marketing, tech support, etc.
  • papa 0 Points
    By the way, Cydle tells me they are not using iGo. They didn't say what they were using other than it was built on a "Korean navigation engine company".
    I received the following email from Cydle:
    "The T43H uses Cydle XE. This is only one can receive Traffic messages through HD Radio broadcasting."
  • Tim 1458 Points
    Sure, but that doesn't mean it isn't built on something else.
  • By the way, Cydle tells me they are not using iGo. They didn't say what they were using other than it was built on a "Korean navigation engine company".

I received the following email from Cydle:
    "The T43H uses Cydle XE. This is only one can receive Traffic messages through HD Radio broadcasting."
    That one Tim linked to can do both HD or RDS... Just because they call it something, doesn't mean they didn't buy the original from someone else and paid just enough for the privilege to change the name.
  • papa 0 Points
    Quote:
    "Sure, but that doesn't mean it isn't built on something else."

Quote:
    "That one Tim linked to can do both HD or RDS... Just because they call it something, doesn't mean they didn't buy the original from someone else and paid just enough for the privilege to change the name."

It seems that no matter what I say about the T43H, your minds are already made up.
  • Tim 1458 Points
    It seems that no matter what I say about the T43H, your minds are already made up.
    If they are not using their own, internally developed software for their devices then to a degree, yes, that does shape my opinion. So far there have been perhaps dozens of companies that have tried to build devices based on someone else's software and all have failed in North America.

But don't believe me... take a look for yourself. Check out the flash animation on this Cydle page which is highlighting the "Cydle XE" software:
    https://www.cydle.com/product_cydle_xe.asp?menunum=2

Then take a look at the animation on this page from EnGIS which makes the GOGO navigation software:
    http://www.engistech.com/products/gogostandard.htm

That similarity goes hand in hand with what a Cydle rep told me:
    In 2008, Cydle started looking into different options for navigation engines and came upon a Korean navigation engine company. This company provided a navigation engine performance much superior to the iGo
    I have the T43H and I've been using it off and on for a couple of weeks, so my opinions of the device (which I really haven't even gotten into yet) are not based on specs but driving experience.
  • Tim 1458 Points
    And when we have Cydle employees coming in here posting favorable reviews of their product disguised as a customer... that doesn't increase my confidence or perception of the company. :evil:
  • papa 0 Points
    And when we have Cydle employees coming in here posting favorable reviews of their product disguised as a customer... that doesn't increase my confidence or perception of the company. :evil:
    A valid point. However, please know that I am not a Cydle employee (or anyone else's employee). I am retired and am only a GPS user. I only express my opinions about the product, which happen to be favorable.
  • Tim 1458 Points
    A valid point. However, please know that I am not a Cydle employee
    No worries... I was always very confident you were not. After many years at doing this it has become easy for me to spot company reps (although I'm sure some have slipped by) and distinguish them from people who are genuinely satisfied and enthusiastic about their purchase. The two Cydle accounts were not difficult to spot. (One put Cydle in their username, the other in this thread did not.)

It is good to have folks like you around to provide a wide range of opinions.
  • papa 0 Points
    It is good to have folks like you around to provide a wide range of opinions.
    Tim, thank you for your vote of confidence. :lol:
  • NickyB 0 Points
    and I do agree with some flaws that exist on this T43H PND.

Can you list what those are for those who are considering this GPS?
    Sure, one of them would be its manual that was not necessarily all that easy to follow through at some point... But I don't think I had to be a genius to figure how this PND works, which goes the same for other PNDs as well.
    And second, I don't have much info about the warranty of this device since it a Korean company, quite new in the the States, that manufactures in Korea, but we get plenty of made-in-C____ products that have decent warranty programs, and I haven't had a problem with the product yet, so I will keep you posted on that.
    Third, I wasn't able to get HD radio reception everywhere. It does detect regular FM, but no HD radio on the freeway in the middle of nowhere with no big cities nearby. But on cities, it was all good.

Oh yeah, by the way, I got curious of this company, Engis, that provides GPS software to Cydle, so I actually sent an email to Cydle to ask for their info. Stay tuned.

Well, not everyone can like this item. After all, we are all unique in out own ways =P But I liked it, and I just wanted to share my experience with you guys. If you want something out of the ordinary out of your PNDs, this might be it for you. Afterall, you can get more out this PND with other cool features that you don't see in other big name PNDs (Garmin, TomTom, etc.).
  • NickyB 0 Points
    edited January 2010
    Engis is a subsidized company of Cydle, and we work closely together to provide solution to our navigation products.
  • Tim 1458 Points
    NickyB,

Every time you visit this site the server logs say you arrived here by clicking on a link (HTTP Referrer) from http://web.cydle.com/, which is the Cydle Webmail system.

:roll:
  • NickyB 0 Points
    NickyB,

Every time you visit this site the server logs say you arrived here by clicking on a link (HTTP Referrer) from http://web.cydle.com/, which is the Cydle Webmail system.

:roll:

Well, I am a T43H user, and I am giving you an honest opinion about this item as a user. If you didn't find my infor useful, then you are more than glad to delete them. But I don't think I was viased at all with my opinions nor did I exaggerate any advantages/disadvantages.
  • Tim 1458 Points
    So you are admitting that you are a Cydle employee or agent, right? Or at least I don't hear you denying it. We give company reps additional tools and logos beside their name for those who wish to participate. But it is very disingenuous to try to act like a typical happy user and hide your affiliation.
  • NickyB 0 Points
    edited January 2010
    I am a Cydle employee who uses T43H, and I wanted to share my experience with GPS users.
  • Tim 1458 Points
    So how is it that you have a login to the Cydle email system... or are clicking through from a logged in user? Your friend allows you to access his work email account?
  • It seems that no matter what I say about the T43H, your minds are already made up.
    Not at all, papa..

NickyB: Give it up man. Even without looking at the referrer, its easy enough to tell where your from. :roll:
  • NickyB 0 Points
    edited January 2010
    I can't do anything for my mistake, but please don't blame on the company.
    It was all my personal wrong-doing, and the decision of my own.
    My sincere apologies to you, gatorguy.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    I think we have. Not coming clean stands in judgement of your honesty.

By resorting to subterfuge, you've done your company a disservice that leaves a stain on your product no matter how innovative or unique it might be.
  • NickyB 0 Points
    edited January 2010
    I am sorry for all the trouble that caused to you honest reviewers.
    My eagerness must have led to this horrendous result.
    I did mean no harm, and I am new at this company, and made a horrible judgement without even asking my superiors.
    Please forgive a poor judgement from one foolish person, and it is just unfair to make the works of tens and hundreds of hard-working Cydle staff who worked months and years on this project suffer because of my unwise decision.
    I will take full responsibilities on my mistake, but please do not blame on the company.
    I am truly sorry.
    I will give my personal name to Tim if you wish to report to my superiors, but please take pity on me, who was so ignorant but just too eager.
    I am truly sorry... I didn't expect this to go out of hand like this.
    I definitely learned my lesson.
  • Tim 1458 Points
    I will take full responsibilities on my mistake
    Thank you... now let's move on to talking about the GPS.
  • Tim 1458 Points
    To get us back on topic... I've been researching traffic over HD radio as opposed to basic radio (RDS-TMC). There are a few differences, though their real world superiority over traditional RDS-TMC might be a couple of years away.

There is actually a difference in transmission speed, despite our urge to go back to the physics earlier in the thread. The difference is a result of the transmission rate... the radio waves still go at the speed of radio, but the bits per second you can squeeze into HD radio is greater than that of RDS-TMC.

How fast? Instead of talking bits per second or packets of data, let's quantify it by "traffic incidents".... basically individual reports. RDS-TMC can fit about 50 incidents per minute into their signal, while HD can transmit about 500 incidents per minute. That is where they get the "10 times as fast" quote.

So if there were 50 incidents in your traffic/service area, they would take 60 seconds to fully download over RDS-TMC while they would take only about six seconds over HD radio. The real world question therefore becomes how many incidents on average are there in a service area where then you can answer how long it takes to actually download all of the data. In 60 seconds I haven't gone too far, so if there were 50 incidents in the area then RDS-TMC won't likely make a real world difference.

But with additional bandwidth, more types of data can be shared. You can envision downloading more "predictive" types of data for the roads in your area that might not be stored in the GPS, perhaps additional details about local events, etc.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Tim said:
    Thank you... now let's move on to talking about the GPS.
    Well, that was fun.... mystery, subterfuge, corporate intrigue, etc. :roll:

In looking around the EnGIS site and what they are producing/offering with their GoGo nav software I for one am going to wait until Clyde offers the 3D version of GoGo on the T43HB. I liked my Mio c320 (gave it to my son) and still like my Navigon 7200t so I lean toward this type of gps that offers me lots of info, a cluttered screen, and maps that remind me of the good 'ole days when gas station maps were free. If the routing algorithm can match my lowly nuvi 680 or SP2730 then I will be a happy camper. But I am gonna just sit, wait and lurk. But if the Garmin nuvi 18xx makes it to market first then all bets might be off!
  • Boyd 1765 Points
    I liked my Mio c320 (gave it to my son) and still like my Navigon 7200t so I lean toward this type of gps that offers me lots of info, a cluttered screen, and maps that remind me of the good 'ole days when gas station maps were free.
    I had a Mio c520 which I think was basically the same, and in many ways it was my favorite GPS. There was a mod called "Jerry's Skin" for these units which was great. It let you really customize everything and I had it setup just the way I wanted.

But I had stability issues, especially if I did a lot of map panning and zooming. Eventually it would crash. The problem may have been more related to that skin than the Mio software, I don't know. But I wanted something more stable so I came back to Garmin.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    I had Jerry's Skin installed as well and don't recall any problems that I could pinpoint to the mod. Tried a skin with my Navigon, but it was problematic so I took it off and went back to stock 7200. I'm sure the Clyde will have mod potential, but if I ever get one I doubt if I will bother. Pretty much has has most bells and whistles now or coming in future models.