This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

iTablet? Apple iPad - GPS?

Boyd 1792 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
... or iSlate or whatever. Tim, what is the buzz from CES about this long rumored Apple product? I know there's nothing official but people must be talking about it. People seem to expect it later this month. It seems to me that this could be a killer GPS platform if the existing iPhone software were just ported to it. The big screen would be a huge improvement over the iPhone, and 3g data from Verizon would certainly whip the Nuvi 1690's EDGE connection.

Price will be an issue of course. But I've read there are a lot of Windows 7 tablets at CES this year also. We already have Garmin MobilePC which would give you sort of a Nuvi on steroids with one of these. Seems that tablet computers will start to threaten the high end dedicated PND's at some point.

Comments

• Tim 1465 Points
    The problem with CES is that everyone wants to talk about their own products, not somebody else's. I had a few conversations with other press/bloggers, but nobody that knows much more than anyone else. So I didn't pickup anything new that hasn't already been said.
  • Where would that fit? Not on the Dash or on an air vent its too big?

Someone somewhere will come up with the smart idea of a cheap mid that works through bluetooth on a flip phone so I can have a small phone most of the time and a nice mid when I want it connected.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Would fit just fine in my VW down by the heater controls, which is where I mount all of my GPS'es, including the Roadmate 1700 (which I only use with Oziexplorer). It has a 7" screen and I would be quite happy with an 8 to 10 inch screen (as various sources have reported for this device). Granted, I'm not your average consumer.

Tim, did you see any interesting Windows tablets with integrated gps?
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    I don't know what Tim might have seen (at least not all of it. I'm looking forward to some more write-ups), but the one I really want to see is the Lenovo IdeaPad. Not a true slate-type design, like the rumored Apple device or the HP, but dang cool and compact.
  • Tim 1465 Points
    Tim, did you see any interesting Windows tablets with integrated gps?
    I didn't have time to stray too far from the traditional GPS and mapping technologies.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    From a MobileBeat news-blurb today:

In a faux pas, an executive at telecom firm France Telecom/Orange confirmed that Apple is launching a tablet and the end of January.

The executive, Stephane Richard, is the No. 2 executive at the telecommunications firm. He told French journalist Jean-Pierre Elkabbach that the tablet will include a webcam and that Orange customers would be able to buy it. It’s a little hard to back pedal on this one, since it’s on video (in French).

The confirmation suggests that Apple is lining up a worldwide launch of the tablet, which means that it’s not just an experimental dipping of its toes in the water or something that will launch in the U.S. market only. Apple itself hasn’t commented on the existence of the tablet, which many see as a new generation of computers.
  • Tim 1465 Points
    While I don't doubt that an Apple tablet is very likely, I'd also say that there isn't a "confirmation" in that q&a.
    Jean-Pierre Elkabbach: According to weekly Le Point, in a couple of days Apple will be launching its tablet computer …
    Stéphane Richard: Yes.
    Jean-Pierre Elkabbach: … equipped with a webcam.
    Stéphane Richard: Yes.
    Jean-Pierre Elkabbach: Are Orange customers going to be able to enjoy it?
    Stéphane Richard: Of course!
    The answers could have been expanded like this and still be accurate.

1) Yes, Le Point did report that.
    2) Yes, Le Point suggested that as well.
    3) Of course! Anybody can purchase one.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Another couple of items mentioned today by a generally reliable source. The Apple tablet will be using a hi-performance ARM processor and run on an iPhone kernel. He describes it as "an iPhone on steroids". Also writes that the lack of any recent OS updates for the iPhone might be blamed on the upcoming tablet. Apple didn't want to give away some of the functions revealed by the iPhone code. FWIW
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    It's amazing how much press this unannounced product is getting. Interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703405704575015362653644260.html

GPS and mapping isn't the focus of the article, but here's a tidbit that I hadn't seen before.
    Apple's divide with Google over how it views media content also drives the wedge deeper between the two companies. Apple's iPhone, for example, currently closely integrates Google's mapping and search technology, but a person familiar with the matter said Apple was in serious discussions with Microsoft Corp. to incorporate its Bing search engine into the iPhone as the default search and map technologies. Microsoft declined to comment.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Would that mean we don't get any more Windows vs Apple commercials? :lol:

That's really too funny. Apple in bed with the devil. Google must really have them spooked.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Actually, I'm wondering if it could be the other way around.... Google might be threatening to pull its apps from the iPhone.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Either way, asking Microsoft for an assist is really shocking with all the "we're better/more stable/more creative/more whatever" than they are chatter the past 10 years. But reading several references to negotiations that posted in the past 48 hours, they might be serious.
  • Tim 1465 Points
    It isn't as though they haven't worked together in the past though. Apple has Windows versions of some of their software like iTunes, Safari, and technologies like Bonjour. Microsoft has a business unit dedicated to Mac software like Office, RemoteDesktop, and SliverLight. They compete in the Operating Systems space, but outside of that they have a long history of working somewhat together. I see this as not much changed in the Apple/Microsoft relationship but a larger change in the Apple/Google relationship.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend. . . Got it. :wink:
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    How quickly we forget.... :)

• alanb 374 Points
    True, but also hard to believe that was 13 years ago!
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    In a little over two hours will should see exactly what Apple is going to offer. :D
  • Tim 1465 Points
    iPad is out!
  • Tim 1465 Points
    Still using Google Maps.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Wow, it's bigger than I expected.

photo from cnet.com
  • mvl 191 Points
    edited January 2010
    Supports fullscreen maps street view.

9.7" screen, accelerometer and compass built in....
  • Tim 1465 Points
    Accelerometer (obviously) and compass... but no word of GPS... yet.
  • Tim 1465 Points
    All iphone apps can run on the iPad.
  • mvl 191 Points
    "can run all iPhone apps unmodified out of the box"
  • mvl 191 Points
    OK Tim... I'll let you do the play-by-play..... :)
  • Tim 1465 Points
    No, please join in!
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    CPU is Apple custom silicon. Available in 16, 32 and 64 GB models. They are claiming 10 hour battery life. Wifi and Bluetooth. So far no mention of 3g though. 1/2 inch thick with an IPS display (what is that?)
  • Tim 1465 Points
    CPU is Apple custom silicon.
    That is perhaps the most interesting thing I've seen so far.
  • mvl 191 Points
    edited January 2010
    Apple acquired PA semi a few years back, and it was assumed that this division would pump out the apple tablet chip once it finally was released.

http://deals.venturebeat.com/2009/07/13/look-for-pa-semis-chip-designs-in-upcoming-apple-tablet/
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    It looks very cool, but the size is a bit surprising to me. Looks like something you wouldn't want to take with you unless it could really replace a laptop...
  • mvl 191 Points
    Or mount on your dashboard.... :)
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    So far most of the "leaked" info from the past week turned out pretty accurate then. Really much larger than I would consider ideal tho. If I'm carting something around with me as a one size fits all device, then 7-8" screen would seem more appropriate. Doess't look like it should be confused with a work-centric device either. Games, music, etc.

As Boy Genius said a couple weeks back, an iPhone on steroids.
  • Tim 1465 Points
    I haven't seen any indications of cellular connectivity, nor GPS. (Although wifi positioning is certainly likely.)
  • As Boy Genius said a couple weeks back, an iPhone on steroids.

... they're saving that for July! ... ??
  • mvl 191 Points
    "Last up is mlb.com"...

So seems like no GPS apps on display today...
  • Tim 1465 Points
    okay... when? how much?
  • mvl 191 Points
    off topic, but...

Typical Steve Jobs retalliation - listing the publishers: Penguin, Harper collins, simonShuster, MacMillan, hachette, "and more...".

I'm sure Steve buried McGrawHill in "more" since McGraw leaked the iPhone OS :)
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Well everyone expected the focus to be e-books. He is now talking about the iBookstore...
  • mvl 191 Points
    Doess't look like it should be confused with a work-centric device either.
    And now apple demos "iWork".... ;)
  • mvl 191 Points
    3G data available, depending on model.
  • Tim 1465 Points
    Unlocked GSM and no contract... that's big.
  • mvl 191 Points
    $499
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    That is the base model. 4 different models, tops out at $799 with 3g
  • mvl 191 Points
    edited January 2010
    No wonder AT&T was touting it's "specialty devices" division in a press release yesterday.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/att-supports-more-than-370-wireless-specialty-devices-82702272.html

$14.99/month for 250mb data
    $29.99 unlimited
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Oops, looks like 6 different models with 3g available on each for another $130. Top model is $830, available in two months.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Now showing an external keyboard dock. Nice - didn't think they would do that.
  • Tim 1465 Points
    Apple iPad has "Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)"
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Here's a video of Google maps. Looks really fast (but these demo's always do :))

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458331/google-maps-on-the-ipad-+-video
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Specs are now up on apple.com: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

So no real GPS chip but it does have a digital compass. Seem kind of odd.
  • dhn 328 Points
    Not available in Canada for 2 months ............