This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

iTablet? Apple iPad - GPS?

Comments

• Tim 1456 Points
    I was debating doing this as a separate article over on www, but I'll just put it here. First, some definitions. (These are not strict, just enough to cover the question at hand on iPad capabilities.)

Wi-Fi positioning: Identify nearby wifi networks, lookup to see if any of them match locations where the wifi's location has been detected.

Assisted GPS: Using the cellular network to help determine position. It can seed a traditional GPS chip with hints on where to start looking for your position, or used by itself with lower accuracy for things like 911.

"True" GPS: What most of us here think of when we think GPS... A real GPS chip that doesn't require the cellular network, although it will certainly take that kind of help if available.

Now, getting into the Apple iPad's capabilities, let's look at the iPhone first.

Original iPhone (2G): Can't be used for turn by turn directions, but can (as required by law) be located by cellular, Assisted GPS. Apple doesn't list any specs for "GPS" on this model.

iPhone 3G and 3Gs: Both of these use "real" GPS that is helped along with Assisted GPS. Apple lists the specs on these as having "Assisted GPS".

So the bottom line is this, Apple's specs show the same wording for the iPad as they do for the Apple 3G and 3Gs... Assisted GPS. And as is the case with the 3Gs (but not 3G) it also has an electronic compass.

So provided that Apple hasn't changed how they are listing the specs from the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3Gs, then we might assume that the Apple iPad will have the same GPS capabilities as the iPhone 3Gs. (Of course you know what they say about assuming.)
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Not available in Canada for 2 months ............
    It won't be here either.
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    Interesting Tim. I didn't take that away from the specs myself... so you think it actually has a GPS chip? That would be good. From the specs at apple.com

iPhone 3gs:
    Digital compass
    Wi-Fi
    Cellular

iPad:
    Digital compass
    Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
    Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Interesting Tim. I didn't take that away from the specs myself... so you think it actually has a GPS chip?
    What I'm saying is that the iPhone 2G doesn't have "GPS" as we like to think about, and there is no reference to any kind of GPS in the specs of the 2G, yet it has A-GPS. While the 3G and 3Gs are advertised as having "Assisted GPS" and have the kind of GPS we like. The iPad is described the same way as the iPhone 3G and 3Gs, so if Apple is being consistent-- the iPad has the type of GPS we know and love.

Notice how in the specs you listed, provided we are talking about the iPad that has 3G, the specs are the same as those for the iPhone 3gs. So I'd say the iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G has GPS but the iPad without 3G does not. That's how I'm reading it, and Apple is typically very consistent with specs.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Seems a bit underwhelming when all is said and done.

So what will be the big attraction of this tablet over others besides it has the Apple logo on it? Multi-task not (yet?) supported, may not even have any Flash support. Also seems strange that no camera is included in the hardware.

I guess if I was an Apple guy the iPad might be more exciting?
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    For me, I would use it as an In-Car information system device that will offer me the ability to read emails, search the web, watch TV, listen to muisc and all this is done while I'm park of course. LOL

I'm already asking Magellan to make a Car Docking kit for the iPad so we can have the unit as an In-Car informational device that can guide you turn by turn with the Magellan iPad cradle that includes a GPS receiver!

Stay tune!
  • Tim 1456 Points
    3.5" screen is big enough for me.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    FWIW Tim it looks like there's some sources now claiming the iPad does have a true GPS chip. You've probably guessed right. 8)
  • Tim 1456 Points
    I suspect the Wi-Fi only version will not, but the Wi-Fi + 3G version will.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    That's what I meant.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    3.5" screen is big enough for me.
    Is never big enough Tim, heck I' either going to go way big or have a wrist watch nav system, 3.5" just don't do it, it is like owning a Vega or Pinto, you can say it's a car but it really is not a true car. Now I'm showing my age, maybe I should have said a Honda Civic or a VW rabbit. But I still like cars made in America. LOL.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    I still like the idea of the Lenovo U1 shipping soon.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/lenovo-ideapad-u1-hybrid/9742-1_53-50081962.html
  • awesome post Tim. very good read.
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    may not even have any Flash support.?
    I'm not sure we will ever see flash, it's clear that Apple does not want to support it or we'd already have flash on the iPhone. I heard an analyst talking about this recently, and he had a theory which made a lot of sense. He said that not supporting flash was Apple's "secret weapon". Lack of flash support means that iPhone apps cannot easily be ported to other platforms and keeps them unique.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Blackberry doesn't support flash (yet) either. So I guess they're doing it on purpose too so they can be unique?

I've got a different viewpoint on why Apple does some of what they do. They keep a tight rein on how software can interface with their systems to keep any stability issues to an absolute minimum. The more open and customizable, the more problems. I've got so many applications that require the open architecture of Windows to work, from grand format print drivers to raster-imaging processing to color-correction software, that I've given up on trying to depend on Apple to give me solutions. Yeah, we can design on Mac, (tho truth be told CorelDraw on a PC is well ahead of Illustrator on a Mac in both features and interface IMHO), but I need PC's to RIP and print the files.
  • mvl 191 Points
    For me, I would use it as an In-Car information system device that will offer me the ability to read emails, search the web, watch TV, listen to muisc and all this is done while I'm park of course. LOL

I'm already asking Magellan to make a Car Docking kit for the iPad so we can have the unit as an In-Car informational device that can guide you turn by turn with the Magellan iPad cradle that includes a GPS receiver!

Stay tune!
    This could certainly become a Ford MyTouch without having to buy a Ford. I'm sure someone like Pioneer will come up with double-din-dock that holds the iPad and relays the iTunes through the car system, no reason Tomtom/Magellan couldn't do the same for their activeDocks.

I'm a fan of the big screens in cars, other than the "easy to steal" issue with a dock solution, there's a lot of potential here.
  • mvl 191 Points
    may not even have any Flash support.?

I'm not sure we will ever see flash, it's clear that Apple does not want to support it or we'd already have flash on the iPhone. I heard an analyst talking about this recently, and he had a theory which made a lot of sense. He said that not supporting flash was Apple's "secret weapon". Lack of flash support means that iPhone apps cannot easily be ported to other platforms and keeps them unique.
    Lots of merit in that argument. If Flash comes, Apple loses control of the SDK and ultimately the app store (look what Google Voice was able to squeeze in with just HTML5). Apple (and Blackberry) certainly won't want to lose all that app store commission.
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    I'm a fan of the big screens in cars, other than the "easy to steal" issue with a dock solution, there's a lot of potential here.
    I like big screens too; I run OziExplorer on a 7" Magellan and it is spectacular. However, having a big screen computer with games, browser, movies and many other distractions may not be such a good thing for the driver.

I predict a number of states will pass "iPad laws" during the next few years...
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    edited January 2010

I like big screens too; I run OziExplorer on a 7" Magellan and it is spectacular. However, having a big screen computer with games, browser, movies and many other distractions may not be such a good thing for the driver.

I predict a number of states will pass "iPad laws" during the next few years...
    Boyd,

I don't think anyone will need to pass a new iPad law since there is already laws in most states that restrict any type of distraction device such as viewing TV, video's etc on a display that can be viewed by the driver, it is o.k if the passenger can view and control the device.

Many fleet vehicles and LEO's are already using laptops, so it should not be an issue.

Now think about all the limo, cab drivers, air port shuttles, delivery person and anyone that have to wait in their vehicle that may take advantage of this iPad TV, Video, music features during their breaks, or this device can be use to monitor other vehicles that are delivering products and be dispatch to pick up packages from their location. I see a huge potential of fleet usage for this type of product and a permanent mounting car dock solution maybe ideal for this application.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Specs are now up on apple.com: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

So no real GPS chip but it does have a digital compass. Seem kind of odd.
    It does say it can chart a route and use all the app's that will function on an iPhone/iPod, so it probably does have AGPS/Wifi feature for routing but not as accurate as a real GPS receiver. This is the reason a nice docking station with enhanced GPS receiver would be a nice solution for people who enjoys a larger display.
    There must be room for a small GPS receiver in the iPad, maybe it will be available next generation. No Camera mentioned, that would be nice but might be a little big to carry around to take video's and pictures with.
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    I don't think anyone will need to pass a new iPad law since there is already laws in most states that restrict any type of distraction device such as viewing TV, video's etc on a display that can be viewed by the driver
    Nevertheless, it will happen. Some states are already considering GPS bans and laws against texting are also popular. Personally, I agree with you and don't see why we need these laws. But I believe they will come regardless. Here's an example, and NJ isn't the only state considering this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/21/new-jersey-bill-aims-to-ban-drivers-use-of-gps-while-driving/
    It is already illegal to manually use a cell phone for texting or calling while driving in New Jersey. A state legislator has aimed at the next in-car distraction: GPS devices. Democratic Assemblyman Harvey Smith wants a ban on manually programming GPS devices while driving. You would need to pull over to input your destination, or have a voice-operated unit. Punishment otherwise would be a $100 fine.
    In Philadelphia a law just went into effect for cellphones and smartphones in the car. Basically, you aren't allowed to touch your phone for any purpose.

Of course you and I would be responsible drivers. :) But I think some will find a gadget like this too irresistible to ignore and they will be sending e-mails, browsing the web, playing games and watching movies while driving or sitting at a stoplight. If people can't keep their hands off their cellphones then this is gonna be too much of a temptation.
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    so it probably does have AGPS/Wifi feature for routing but not as accurate as a real GPS receiver.
    Actually, I believe Tim's interpretation is correct the more that I think about it. The specs are presented in pretty much the same format as the iPhone 3gs. But then look at the specs for the iPod touch. It does not have a separate listing for "location", but this footnote appears in the Maps section.
    For iPod touch with Maps, the Maps application provides your approximate location using information based on your proximity to known Wi-Fi networks (when on and available). The more accurate the available information, the smaller the circle identifying your position on the map. The feature is not available in all areas. Known Wi-Fi networks are predominantly in urban areas
    I would expect something similar in the iPad specs if it didn't have a "real" gps chip.
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Part of what is confusing is that A-GPS can mean different things. In the case of the iPhone 3G/s it is called "Assisted GPS" which it does have... but then there are other phones that don't have sufficient GPS for turn-by-turn, yet can be located by cell tower/911 that are (perhaps incorrectly) called A-GPS.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    In Philadelphia a law just went into effect for cellphones and smartphones in the car. Basically, you aren't allowed to touch your phone for any purpose.
    Well, that's when a steering wheel remote and VR will come in use. I like the Parrot BT device I used in my SUV, it functions very well with the iPhone, VR works well and I never take the iPhone out of my pocket when calling on my iPhone and driving while testing 6-8 other PND's.

The funny thing about all these laws is that if you are a LEO, you are expected to handle radio transmission, a laptop to run plates and reg, use their GPS while their wife and or girlfriend calling them on their cell phone ( work related of course), using the lights and sirens and driving at high rate of speed and the LEO's are immune to prosecution if they get in an accident while on duty performing their job. Double standards kind of like our health care system. lol
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    And for today's humor moment. . .

http://bleedingipad.com/
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    I am opposed to all these new laws and agree that existing distracted driving laws already on the books should cover them.

However, I think it is a growing problem, and one which I see a lot of in my daily commute of over 100 miles. If somebody has a big, fully connected computer on the dashboard (like an iPad), the temptation of play around will be hard to resist, and I don't want them rear-ending me because they aren't paying attention. Doesn't matter whether they are using voice recognition or a touch screen, they won't be paying full attention to their surroundings.

For that matter, a couple days ago a pedestrian walked right in front of me, against the light, on a major road here in Philadelphia. She didn't even notice she was walking out into traffic because she was so absorbed in her phone. The person she was walking with had to yell at her to get her attention and avoid getting hit.

I don't see much of a problem with law enforcement using phones, radios, computers, etc. Of course there is some abuse. But a double standard should be expected there. And aside from that, there just aren't that many police cars on the road compared to the other idiots who aren't paying attention on their phones.
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    And for today's humor moment. . .
    Mad TV also "invented" the iPad awhile ago:

• gatorguy 224 Points
    Also, FWIW, there's been complaints that Apple switched to micro-sim's for the iPad, potentially creating problems for European visitors accustomed to swapping simcards when they visit the States. A post today says that even tho there are no European carriers offering micro-sims, you can just cut the standard size down. The actual electronics are the same size on both cards. Only the size of the surrounding plastic changes. If true, then that addresses one big complaint.
  • dhn 227 Points
    Boyd said:
    For that matter, a couple days ago a pedestrian walked right in front of me, against the light, on a major road here in Philadelphia. She didn't even notice she was walking out into traffic because she was so absorbed in her phone. The person she was walking with had to yell at her to get her attention and avoid getting hit.
    In Toronto, 14 pedestrians have been killed so far in 2010. There were 31 in total for all of 2009. In at least 3 of the cases, the pedestrians were talking in cell phones or using their pnd's when they got hit.
  • Tim 1456 Points
    FWIW, plenty of people noticed today that several of the press screenshots of the iPad show it displaying flash content.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Boyd said:
    In Toronto, 14 pedestrians have been killed so far in 2010. There were 31 in total for all of 2009. In at least 3 of the cases, the pedestrians were talking in cell phones or using their pnd's when they got hit.
    I'm sure there are also numbers for people drinking coffee, eating, putting on make up, reading newspaper. It is not the cell phone or PND that is killing these people, it is the unskilled drivers that have no business driving. How many senior citizens are driving that should not, how's about all the high performance cars that are designed for the race tracks? We can stop all this if we start to walk more I guess. Don't blame anyone or anything but look in the mirror and take responsibility for your actions.

Some people can multitask and others can't, maybe we should issue test before they can have a cell phone and PND's. :D
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Also, FWIW, there's been complaints that Apple switched to micro-sim's for the iPad, potentially creating problems for European visitors accustomed to swapping simcards when they visit the States. A post today says that even tho there are no European carriers offering micro-sims, you can just cut the standard size down. The actual electronics are the same size on both cards. Only the size of the surrounding plastic changes. If true, then that addresses one big complaint.
    Pretty much the same as PND companies going with Micro SD's. If you own EU or Asia software lets say from Garmin on a plug and play SD card, guess what, you can't use them in the new PND's that now uses Micro SD's.

Do you think AT&T have anything to do or say about it? Think of all the extra accounts they will get from visitors that wish to use an iPad or future iPhone in NA? Just another way to generate more revenue I guess.
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    FWIW, plenty of people noticed today that several of the press screenshots of the iPad show it displaying flash content.
    Have you seen this? This was probably what they saw.

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/2010/01/building_ipad_apps.html
    We announced the Packager for iPhone at MAX 2009 which will allow Flash developers to create native iPhone applications and will be available in the upcoming version of Flash Pro CS5. This technology enables developers to create applications for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad (though applications will not initially take direct advantage of iPad’s new screen resolution). It is our intent to make it possible for Flash developers to build applications that can take advantage of the increased screen size and resolution of the iPad.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Seems Apple marketing might have been a little "creative" in showing flash at work on the iPad. They've now fessed up.

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/2010/01/building_ipad_apps.html
  • Tim 1456 Points
    FWIW, I don't buy the argument that Apple doesn't want Flash for competitive reasons. Just doesn't make much sense to me. You can do a ton with HTML/CSS, and JS/AJAX. I can't think of much you couldn't build in HTML or HTML5 that you can in Flash. There are a ton of very creative web-apps out there (like Google Voice) that can be done without Flash.

When I look out at some of the bigger computer security issues over the past year, one of the biggest involved Flash. Apple wants to keep the iPhone as secure as possible.

Apple isn't singling out Flash per se... they don't allow any third party browser plugins. Adobe just happens to be the largest. Likewise, Flash hasn't always been the most stable plugin over the years either.

Lastly, although perhaps it reflects the types of sites I visit, I can't think of one time over the past 2.5 years where I said to myself "bummer I can't use this site in my iPhone because it doesn't have flash". When it was revealed the iPhone wouldn't have flash I thought I would miss it-- but apparently i don't.
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    "According to Steve" flash is trash and Google is evil
    Well, to be fair, he didn't really say Google was evil. He was commenting on Google's own mantra, "Don't be evil":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_be_evil
    "Don't be evil" is said to recognize that large corporations often maximize short-term profits with actions that destroy long-term brand image and competitive position. Supposedly, by instilling a Don't Be Evil culture the corporation establishes a baseline for honest decision-making that disassociates Google from any and all cheating.
    Personally I'm gonna have to side with Steve this time. He said "This don’t be evil mantra: It’s b*llsh*t.” That doesn't mean I think that Google is evil, it just means that I think this is typical marketing BS from one of the world's largest companies.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Sorry. . . I was adding a little marketing spin :)
  • IPhone is a phenomenal tool for airplane pilots, with one exception--the size of the screen. Existing iPhone apps include all the maps, charts and related info that pilots are required to haul around and access. When you add the stunningly effective GPS positioning ON THOSE MAPS AND CHARTS, the iPad is set to be a real game-changer. All it needs is to be as functional as the iPhone.
  • I feel there are so much more to this iPad/iPhone phenomena.

Think of all the soccer mom's driving their kids around, they can have the iPad power up and let them watch video in the back seat, play games etc. They can take this in to a restaurant to keep the kids busy.

The young gamers that can now be portable and not tied to their high power PC's at home.

One can use this iPad for more than business, although most businessmen can cut a lot of weight down by switching to this iPad format.

I'm think of all the ways you can use the iPad.

For older people or people with poor vision, this could be a life saver with the ability to have larger text/font.

This is a simple computer that can be easily adapted to many middle age or older customer base who can afford this type of luxury.

A must have for RV travelers and truckers etc for GPS navigation while traveling and video/TV/Music entertainment when they are parked! It just gets better.

Maybe we should start a topic as to what else can you use your iPad for beside business?

I think the more I think about this, the more sense it makes to have a larger 10" display with the iPhone like features and table like screen size.

All I'm waiting for is someone like Magellan to bring out a docking station that can be mounted on back of a seat or on the dash with enhanced GPS receiver and audio, this would and could be a big winner.

San Jose Mercury News

IPad likely to be popular among business travelers and the middle-aged

Its iPods and iPhones wooed the young and tech savvy. But with its iPad, Apple may reach a new demographic: the middle-aged.

The sleek, soon-to-launch multimedia tablet is expected to find traction among those looking for something light to carry and easy to operate. Consumers most likely to spend $499 to $829 for the iPad — at least in the beginning — are business executives weary from lugging around heavy laptops and parents in need of digital pacifiers to soothe fidgety children in restaurants and airplanes, experts say.

"I think it will change how I run my family," said Robyn Albarran, a 36-year-old Dublin mother of two young children. She envisions using the iPad to occupy her young ones as they wait for swim lessons, or to quickly check a recipe online while cooking in her kitchen.

The half-inch-thick iPad, some models of which will be able to connect to a 3G cellular network, may not introduce major new technology, but it signals a potential sea change in how people engage with everything from newspapers to legal documents and video. The device brings together functions common to laptops and smartphones in a new — and fun — form that lets people navigate the Web, flip pages of a digital book and create business presentations by tapping the iPad's screen.

When Apple unveiled the iPad on Jan. 27, CEO Steve Jobs and other executives positioned it as a device for everyone — a game gadget for teens,

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_14336772?nclick_check=1
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    Think of all the soccer mom's driving their kids around, they can have the iPad power up and let them watch video in the back seat, play games etc. They can take this in to a restaurant to keep the kids busy.
    Now we're getting somewhere! Kids will never have to spend a minute away from their TV shows and video games, parents won't have to actually interact with their kids in the car or at the restaurant, and the kids won't need to learn any social skills like conversation.

Yep, there's a lot more to this iPad phenomenon! :roll:
  • Think of all the soccer mom's driving their kids around, they can have the iPad power up and let them watch video in the back seat, play games etc. They can take this in to a restaurant to keep the kids busy.

Now we're getting somewhere! Kids will never have to spend a minute away from their TV shows and video games, parents won't have to actually interact with their kids in the car or at the restaurant, and the kids won't need to learn any social skills like conversation.

Yep, there's a lot more to this iPad phenomenon! :roll:
    LOL. For those of you that enjoy your kids free time screaming and fussing. An iPad will probably not be a great idea. But for those poor moms that drive kids all over the place. This maybe a big help. Watch edcuational shows or word or math games. I'm just saying this could be the answer to replacing all these DVD TV in car entertament centers that are so over priced
    this is a portable solution
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    Was reading this article on Bloomberg today:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aKRaZhsXzOY0
    Samsung to Challenge Apple’s IPad With Own Tablet Computer

.... The South Korean company provides the processor that powers Apple’s iPad, according to market research firm ISuppli Corp., putting Samsung in a position of being both a components supplier and a competitor for the Cupertino, California-based company.
    I thought that Apple made their own custom silicon for the iPad?
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    I had read they did, but I don't know that info ever came from Apple themselves.
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Apple clearly said in the Keynote that it was a chip they designed internally... however like the device itself that doesn't necessarily mean they manufacturer the chip themselves. It is clearly Apple designed as opposed to previous chips that were from other manufacturers, but I doubt they are manufacturing it themselves.
  • Was reading this article on Bloomberg today:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aKRaZhsXzOY0
    Samsung to Challenge Apple’s IPad With Own Tablet Computer

.... The South Korean company provides the processor that powers Apple’s iPad, according to market research firm ISuppli Corp., putting Samsung in a position of being both a components supplier and a competitor for the Cupertino, California-based company.
    I thought that Apple made their own custom silicon for the iPad?
    I thought so also!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-ipad-iphone-ipod,9522.html

Today's unveiling of what seemed to be a dull product, also introduced something else even more significant from Apple--its first real CPU, the 1GHz Apple A4 processor.

Zoom
    Apple's purchase of PA Semiconductor not too long ago, yielded its first product today, but it's not the fact that it was used in the iPad that makes it special. What's special is that Apple now has a real processor on its hands. And in case you're wondering whether or not Apple's own CPU can compete with the likes of ARM's Cortex or Qualcomm's Snapdragon CPUs, the A4 has potential to kick the living shnizzles out of those CPUs.

First, the A4 runs at a 1GHz frequency, which by mobile CPU standards, is quite high. Considering that Qualcomm's 1GHz Snapdragon powers Google's Nexus One, the Apple A4 could power the next wave of super-smartphones. In fact, at its current spec and frequency, the Apple A4 can play back HD video for 10 hours before requiring a full battery charge.

As of currently, other specs about Apple's A4 CPU are scant, but we're sure things will be more clear in the next coming weeks. We can see from the iPad's capabilities that the A4 is potent, but things are still fresh and we'll have to wait and see what software developers can come up with.

What the iPad showcases today and what it's an indication of, is a lot more interesting than the iPad itself
  • Apple clearly said in the Keynote that it was a chip they designed internally... however like the device itself that doesn't necessarily mean they manufacturer the chip themselves. It is clearly Apple designed as opposed to previous chips that were from other manufacturers, but I doubt they are manufacturing it themselves.
    Make sense to me
  • mvl 191 Points
    LOL. For those of you that enjoy your kids free time screaming and fussing. An iPad will probably not be a great idea. But for those poor moms that drive kids all over the place. This maybe a big help. Watch edcuational shows or word or math games. I'm just saying this could be the answer to replacing all these DVD TV in car entertament centers that are so over priced
    This is a really really expensive solution for kid entertainment, but the "image conscious" crowd or those that would rather pay-up vs assemble cheaper components manually would like it. My daughter is perfectly happy on long drives with a $99 walmart dvd player and $20 seatback tie-on kit.
  • LOL. For those of you that enjoy your kids free time screaming and fussing. An iPad will probably not be a great idea. But for those poor moms that drive kids all over the place. This maybe a big help. Watch edcuational shows or word or math games. I'm just saying this could be the answer to replacing all these DVD TV in car entertament centers that are so over priced

This is a really really expensive solution for kid entertainment, but the "image conscious" crowd or those that would rather pay-up vs assemble cheaper components manually would like it. My daughter is perfectly happy on long drives with a $99 walmart dvd player and $20 seatback tie-on kit.
    People buy Wii, Play Stations etc for a more when they add the games that goes with their units. This iPad starting at $499 is a deal and they can take it with them in their car and use it as a computer and email, surf the web etc. I think it really depends on your financial situations if you can afford the iPad or not. I think Apple is banking on this and I will almost bet a lot of people will buy in on it also.
  • LOL. For those of you that enjoy your kids free time screaming and fussing. An iPad will probably not be a great idea. But for those poor moms that drive kids all over the place. This maybe a big help. Watch edcuational shows or word or math games. I'm just saying this could be the answer to replacing all these DVD TV in car entertament centers that are so over priced

People buy Wii, Play Stations etc for a more when they add the games that goes with their units. This iPad starting at $499 is a deal and they can take it with them in their car and use it as a computer and email, surf the web etc. I think it really depends on your financial situations if you can afford the iPad or not. I think Apple is banking on this and I will almost bet a lot of people will buy in on it also.

I'll be buying an iPad for sure. I think it is a great solution to replace my Netbook for travel. I use the netbook for email, web and other things while traveling. Things I could do on the iPhone if the screen weren't so damned small. If it can entertain the kid while I'm driving, then all the better.

For folks like me who frequently travel internationally and need to pack light and small, the iPad will be a blessing.