This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

iTablet? Apple iPad - GPS?

13»

Comments

• gatorguy 224 Points
    From an article this morning. I still wonder who has this right:

"Apple has provided some additional updates and information about the iPad's GPS and navigation features. Apple states: "iPad with Wi-Fi finds your location using known Wi-Fi hotspots, and Wi-Fi + 3G models use Wi-Fi, GPS, and cellular towers. So you can get routes, get directions, and get there in no time."

This clarifies the difference between the WiFi models and the the WiFi+3G models. The three WiFi models, selling for $499 (16GB), $599 (32 GB), and $699 (64GB) will NOT have a built-in GPS chip, and will rely on Wifi + cell tower positioning.

The three Wifi+3G models (available in late April at $629, $729, and $829) will have fully functional AGPS chips built in that will use GPS satellite positioning, plus Wifi/cell tower positioning for greater accuracy in a wide range of conditions, including urban environments, which can block or bounce GPS signals."

In any case, pre-orders/reservations have been brisk.
  • Tim 1457 Points
    What's the question, gatorguy? That looks like the same thing as what I've been saying since introduction.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    I guess nothing. I've just read so many "no gps chip", "yes, they've all got real gps", "some have gps chips" posts that it just seems so confusing. Since I'd consider you the final word, then the above quote was correct, right?
  • What's the question, gatorguy? That looks like the same thing as what I've been saying since introduction.
    I'm pretty sure I saw someplace on the apple website that the 3G models have a proper GPS chip like the iPhone
  • Tim 1457 Points
    The models with Wi-Fi only have no location technologies that use the GPS satellites. They use wi-fi positioning only. Just like the iPhone 2G.

The models with Wi-Fi and 3G have a GPS chip in them which uses the GPS satellites plus the cellular network plus wi-fi positioning. Just like the iPhone 3G/s.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Does the $120 price difference get you anything significant other than a gps chipset?
  • Tim 1457 Points
    It gets you the 3G chipset too. :) So it doesn't rely on Wi-fi for an internet connection.
  • It gets you the 3G chipset too. :) So it doesn't rely on Wi-fi for an internet connection.
    Amen. It seems everytime I'm someplace with my netbook, they either are trying to charge for wifi, don't have it, it's broken or it's too slow.

I'm definitely getting the 3G version.
  • Tim 1457 Points
    That is what I did too. Especially since the data plan can be turned on or off at any time without contract. I easily pay a couple hundred bucks in Wi-fi fees each year at hotels, coffee shops, airports, etc. With an iPad + 3G I'd easily save a little cash overall paying for the 3G model and the Wi-Fi subscription... plus have the advantage of using it "everywhere".
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    OK. Now I think I'm starting to get my head around this. Seems like the Wi-Fi models really aren't priced as premium as one might expect Apple to do. Somewhat fair price IMO. Don't know if $120 premium for the 3G version is a value tho. Almost priced the same as buying both an iPad and iPhone. The data plan is cheaper for the iPad compared to iPhone tho, correct? And you'll be able to use the iPad as a phone too? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense (or too lazy to research this morning :oops: )
  • Tim 1457 Points
    $15/month = 250 MB.
    $30/month = unlimited data.

No contract.
  • OK. Now I think I'm starting to get my head around this. Seems like the Wi-Fi models really aren't priced as premium as one might expect Apple to do. Somewhat fair price IMO. Don't know if $120 premium for the 3G version is a value tho. Almost priced the same as buying both an iPad and iPhone. The data plan is cheaper for the iPad compared to iPhone tho, correct? And you'll be able to use the iPad as a phone too? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense (or too lazy to research this morning :oops: )
    iPad is more of a netbook replacement. As such, it doesn't have a built in phone application like iPhone (at least not initially). However, you'll be able to use any of a number of VOIP applications to make phone calls if you choose to. But it ain't the same as a phone per-se. I can't receive phone calls on my netbook either so no big deal.

As for the 3G upcharge, I think a better comparison would be to buying a separate data modem for a netbook. Most subsidized modem purchases require a two year contract, so I don't see the $120 as a big deal.

I spend more than that in one week of buying wifi at hotels.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Thanks guys. The fog's lifting :)
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    I think you can tether your iphone to your iPad and that would be a nice solution so you don't have to pay twice.
  • Tim 1457 Points
    You can't tether the iPhone to the iPad nor vice versa.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    You can't tether the iPhone to the iPad nor vice versa.
    WHY? I know that iPhone do not offer that feature now but I also know of people who jail break their iPhone and tether their iPhone with their MAC with no problem so my question is why can't it be done?

Thanks
  • Tim 1457 Points
    Well, if you're jailbreaking your devices then all bets are off. But without jailbreaking your device there is no way to tether.
  • Well, if you're jailbreaking your devices then all bets are off. But without jailbreaking your device there is no way to tether.
    Exactly.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    You guys don't think Apple may offer this tether feature so people with iPhone will not jail break their iPhones? I think this feature maybe added on this year update and it will be a nice addition when used with your iPad.

It works well with a MAC laptop via Bluetooth using 3G so I would think that it is a feature most would want to keep the monthly service cost down.
  • Tim 1457 Points
    AT&T has said they hope to offer iPhone tethering in the future, but you can expect it will come at an additional cost as it does with other tethering solutions they offer. The iPhone can already tether in other countries/carriers. But since AT&T will almost certainly charge additional fees to tether, it takes away any potential cost savings of purchasing an iPad Wi-Fi only instead of Wi-Fi + 3G.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    AT&T has said they hope to offer iPhone tethering in the future, but you can expect it will come at an additional cost as it does with other tethering solutions they offer. The iPhone can already tether in other countries/carriers. But since AT&T will almost certainly charge additional fees to tether, it takes away any potential cost savings of purchasing an iPad Wi-Fi only instead of Wi-Fi + 3G.
    Can you say Jail Break than?
  • navxguy 0 Points
    beggs the question as to how tethering might work in the future ... via cable connect only (and iTunes)? or via bluetooth to other devices too?
  • Tim 1457 Points
    Can you say Jail Break than?
    Lots of effort and risk for little reward, IMHO.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Tim

I know people that is cancelling their DSL service at home and using their iPhone to get online with their laptops!

It is not a bad idea if they have limited funds and paying for the service already.

Not for everyone but will be sooner or later
  • Tim 1457 Points
    I guess we will have to disagree. It makes no sense to me why someone who had "limited funds" and ditched DSL (typically only $19-$29/month) would have enough money for an iPhone, iPhone service, and an iPad. That seems like an odd and unlikely choice.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    ... for a lot of people, doesn't have to make any sense at all ... that's what credit cards are for :shock:
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    I guess we will have to disagree. It makes no sense to me why someone who had "limited funds" and ditched DSL (typically only $19-$29/month) would have enough money for an iPhone, iPhone service, and an iPad. That seems like an odd and unlikely choice.
    It is not why they ditch DSL, is the ability to save the DSL fee so they can own an iPhone Tim, and it does not tied them down to their home base, they can be anywhere and use their iPhone and iPad.
    ComCast here is $45 a month by the way and not $19.

I have ComCast at home and my iPhone on the run, but I hate to pay yet another service charge for my iPad and not sure to many will like to either.

Flexibility is what is all about in this case and that's why. Can we agree to disagree in a friendly way! lol
  • Tim 1457 Points
    ComCast here is $45 a month by the way and not $19.
    You said DSL, not Comcast. Either way, it makes absolutely no sense to me.
  • mvl 191 Points
    There's a generation right behind us that doesn't understand why you would ever use a desktop. Smartphones to a Netflix/Facebook TV are the screensize jump they'd make.

Many in that crowd don't bother buying cable or dsl, everything they need to watch is available on Netflix or Hulu.

It's really not that bad a deal when you think of the avoided recurring costs. Me, I always want the "lifeline". I still keep one corded phone in my office just in case there's a blackout.

That's the crowd that'll abandon the dsl/cable and tether via iPhone, it's so 00's to be tied to a cord... :)
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Well, I'm one of those guys that pay for ComCast TV, ComCast internet service because is fast, AT&T full blown service for my iPhones, AT&T at home with 3 lines and I don't wish to pay for my iPad service if I get it because I think I'm paying enough. So for me, I want the ability to tether my next generation iPhone with the iPad! By the way just FYI, the next generation iPhone will not be the same physical size as our current iPhones, so don't get to attached to all of our accessories mounts and car kits! LOL.... Apple is changing the shape and size of the next generation iPhones!
  • mvl 191 Points
    I was one of the earliest to tether, used (yikes) 9600csd GSM on my Ericsson Omnipoint phone in the 90's.

It's really frustrating that the carriers are drastically upping their prices for this kind of service, but I don't blame them as users are "eating" alot with the all you can eat data plans.

I'm relentlessly price-conscious on recurring charges, and right now tether for $15/month with my 3g Razr on AT&T. But I'm really irritated that the carriers have bullied all the smartphone OSs into not making tetherable MID clients. The iTouch would be perfect except Apple blocked tethering. So I trudge along with my palm TX.

Of course the iPad idea is the most convenient: throw a radio into the device. But since the subscription cost is "per radio", not "per person" in our current society, the iPad is off the table for me.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Can you say tether

Now you can share the fast 3G connection on your iPhone with your Mac or PC and connect to the Internet from just about anywhere — no Wi-Fi required.
    Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. See your carrier for availability.

Share the connection.
    With Internet tethering on iPhone, you don’t need a Wi-Fi hotspot to surf the web from your computer. Now you can share the 3G connection on your iPhone with your Mac notebook or PC laptop and connect to the Internet anywhere. When your iPhone is tethered, you can still send and receive data and make phone calls.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/tethering.html

AT&T May Finally Allow Customers to Tether their iPhone

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=16558&news=Apple+iPhone+OS+4.0+ATT+Tethering

AT&T may be just around the corner from fulfilling its promise to allow its customers to use an iPhone as a wireless modem for their laptop. The next version of the iPhone OS reportedly includes a tethering option that specifically mentions AT&T support.

Looks like if we wait long enough, things will happen the way we wish it to.
  • Peteostro 0 Points
    Can you say tether

Now you can share the fast 3G connection on your iPhone with your Mac or PC and connect to the Internet from just about anywhere — no Wi-Fi required.
    Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. See your carrier for availability.

Share the connection.
    With Internet tethering on iPhone, you don’t need a Wi-Fi hotspot to surf the web from your computer. Now you can share the 3G connection on your iPhone with your Mac notebook or PC laptop and connect to the Internet anywhere. When your iPhone is tethered, you can still send and receive data and make phone calls.
    Problem is the iPhone only does USB or bluetooth tethering, which the iPad does not support!
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Can you say tether

Share the connection.

Problem is the iPhone only does USB or bluetooth tethering, which the iPad does not support!
    I don't understand what you are talking about? There is ways of doing it but you just have to wait and see if they will allow it later.

Or do it this way

• mgo 0 Points
    thanks everybody for all the info regarding the GPS function on the Ipad.

I am looking into buying the Ipad for work incl using the gps outside cellphone coverage (on the coean), but i think this would not be a problem.

However, I would like to ask if anybody has experience using the gps actively and how this affects the duration of the battery life?

Regards,

Machiel
  • patruns 10 Points
    It does not appear it has a built in GPS chip. Assisted GPS is available in the cellular version if you have a carrier that will work with it.